PDA

View Full Version : Hasek gives his paychecks back

Dozerdog
03-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Hasek won't accept $3 million

From News Wire Services
3/13/2004

DETROIT - Two years ago, Dominik Hasek walked away from $16 million from the Detroit Red Wings. This season, he walked away from $5 million.
The last $3 million came two months ago, when he told the team that if he couldn't play, he didn't want any pay. Hasek's decision to stop his paychecks was revealed Friday by General Manager Ken Holland, a month after Hasek was criticized for leaving the team.

Hasek hasn't played for the Wings since Dec. 8 and hasn't drawn a salary since Jan. 9. He held a news conference Feb. 10, announcing he would be unable to play the rest of the season because of his injured groin. At that time, the Wings had paid him $3,050,000 of a $6 million deal.

Hasek did not mention anything about curtailing his salary because of the legal issues involved. It's highly uncommon for an injured NHL player to renounce his salary, and sorting it out required extensive consulting with lawyers.

"What he did is unique," Holland said. "I feel bad for Dominik. I haven't been able to say anything until this point in time, because Dominik has taken a beating

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040313/3048092.asp

alyson
03-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Come back to Buffalo when you've healed!

Valerie
03-13-2004, 09:59 AM
I think that's pretty honorable of him. I don't know many people who wouldn't take their pay if they weren't able to play. I don't know anything about him at all, but it seems to me like he's a very honest person.