PDA

View Full Version : Time to dish out the Pink Slips

Buffalofan
03-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Well Ladies and Gentlemen the Sabres season is Officially over ! Well lets not kid ourselves, this season has been over for a while now but as of this moment it is official. And Thank God too ! The Sabres should be ashamed of themselved for getting peoples hopes up about a playoff spot and then yanking it away like they have been doing.

So now that the season is over its time to clean house. First and Foremost .. Lindy Ruff !! Face it, its time ! You can say what you want about this guy but the bottom line is he just cant get the team ready to play. He has done nothing !

Next up, Darcy Regeir. See ya ... nuff said ! Heck with it .. I say dump the ENTIRE staff, right down to the conditioning coach. I get so tired of watching them get outplayed in the 3rd period of every game.

Oh well, maybe the lock out will be good for hockey. At least we wont be stuck paying to watch a second rate team who would probably get their asses kicked in the AHL. Face it, the playoff spot was their, they just didnt want it. I say Good Luck Islanders .. 8th place in the east is yours !!

:xplode:

Lindy and Darcy SUCK !!

fushetti
03-13-2004, 03:40 PM
The Sabres are the worst team in their division. The Bruins, by far and away are a superior team. I'm glad the Sabres hung on and got a point in both games.

I totally agree that changes need to be made. They need to be made in the front office. Regier has to go, no doubt about it. He built a team that is small and soft and he has no spine at all. With Regier, I'd clean out Luce and Carriere as well. Oh yeah, throw in that ****er Quinn too.

I totally disagree with your thoughts on Lindy Ruff. I think this guy has done a masterful job with the crap he's been given the past few years. Being riddled with junk parts like Taylor Pyatt, Tim Connolly, Andy Delmore, etc haven't helped his cause. It was evidenced today. For most of the game, the Sabres held their own in their own end. But, the Bruins have superstars on their team. Our coaching staff puts in a plan to minimize the other teams' best lines. How often does this team get blown out or just roll over? Not very often. I think it would be a huge mistake to let Ruff go.

I don't believe buffalo is making the playoffs, but they could've easily quit after the losses to the Islanders and Devils a few weeks back. The organization isn't strong. As long as the worst GM, and Managing Partner are in charge, the sabres will continue to struggle.

Patrick76777
03-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Are you serious????? Do you even watch hockey???

On Thursday afternoon I would have chopped off my left arm for 2 points in a home and home with Boston! Besides for Toronto and Tampa, our last 11 games are all very winnable. Today was the toughest game of the rest of the year and we got a point out of it. 6 out of 8 points in the last 4 games! Giving up now is just weak!

I the end I
03-13-2004, 03:50 PM
On the off chance that the sabres do make the playoffs you deserve a big punch in the face. Theres 11 games left buddy, if we win 3 more games out of those 11 than the islanders we're in, how is that so impossible?

qcsabresfan84
03-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Are you Crazy?!
We're 5 freakin points out, with 22 points still available to us. I don't expect us to win every game, but the islanders won't either. We have an easier schedule too. I don't see how you could think that the season is over. Even tthe thrashers and panthers are still in it.

realmendontwearteal
03-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Buffalofan
Well Ladies and Gentlemen the Sabres season is Officially over ! Well lets not kid ourselves, this season has been over for a while now but as of this moment it is official. And Thank God too ! The Sabres should be ashamed of themselved for getting peoples hopes up about a playoff spot and then yanking it away like they have been doing.

So now that the season is over its time to clean house. First and Foremost .. Lindy Ruff !! Face it, its time ! You can say what you want about this guy but the bottom line is he just cant get the team ready to play. He has done nothing !

Next up, Darcy Regeir. See ya ... nuff said ! Heck with it .. I say dump the ENTIRE staff, right down to the conditioning coach. I get so tired of watching them get outplayed in the 3rd period of every game.

Oh well, maybe the lock out will be good for hockey. At least we wont be stuck paying to watch a second rate team who would probably get their asses kicked in the AHL. Face it, the playoff spot was their, they just didnt want it. I say Good Luck Islanders .. 8th place in the east is yours !!

Lindy and Darcy SUCK !!

the sabre season is not over....the last time i saw the standings their only 5 points out.....that can be overcome easily

Myers57
03-13-2004, 05:21 PM
You pessimest!!!!

~~waves fist angrily!~~

I'm the optimist and have been chanting, "We want the Cup!"

Dozerdog
03-13-2004, 05:45 PM

Lindy and Darcy SUCK !!

Man- you fold on your teams worse than a $5 suitcase

Henson goes to the Cowboys and you are ready t toss in the towel with the Bills- and the season is 6 months away!

Sabres get 2 of 4 points vs the Bruins, play a cheesecake schedule the rest of the way (while the Islanders play the top echelon clubs here on out) and you want to give up like a cheese eating surrender monkey.

Well- pop in sometime during the summer- we'll fill ya in on the exciting finish to the season!

realmendontwearteal
03-13-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Man- you fold on your teams worse than a $5 suitcase

Henson goes to the Cowboys and you are ready t toss in the towel with the Bills- and the season is 6 months away!

Sabres get 2 of 4 points vs the Bruins, play a cheesecake schedule the rest of the way (while the Islanders play the top echelon clubs here on out) and you want to give up like a cheese eating surrender monkey.

Well- pop in sometime during the summer- we'll fill ya in on the exciting finish to the season!

i agree with you......if you compare the sabre and iles schedule the remainder of the year....the sabres schedule is much eaiser

Buffalofan
03-13-2004, 11:05 PM
WOW .. I guess I struck a few nerves here lately, But I stand by my words on both the Sabres and Drew Henson. The Sabres WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS ! And the Bills made a mistake NOT GOING FOR HENSON.

Am I folding on my teams ? NO !! I am just stating facts here people. It is possible to be a fan and not agree with every move they make.

The Sabres have been playing poorly all season long, and what did they do to prove they were serious about the playoffs ? .. nothing .. zip ... nada !

We are sitting on our hands holding 3 goalies and we havent tried to trade any of them for someone who can actually score. Do I still love this team ? HELL YES ! But changes have to be made. Clean house and start the hell over !

And heres another thing that bugs me .. get rid of that UGLY ASS uniform and bring back the blue and gold. We have the WORST UNIFORMS in hockey or any other sport.

Lindy has had what .. 7,8 years as coach. And dont give me this crap about having no talent. A good coach makes use of what he has and gets the best out of his people. Lindy cant do it. The players walk all over him because they dont fear him.

Bring back Ted Nolan. He could get his boys to play !

Sorry Lindy, your time is up. No matter what some of the fans of Buffalo seem to think. Youve had your chance .. Next !!!

Dozerdog
03-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Poorly all season long? Including the 9-2-2 stretch in Jan/Feb? then they dipped a bit- lost 3 in a row- then have scored points in 5 of the last 6 games-

Or they have scored points in 16 of their last 22- that's one of the better records in the conference.

Sure they sucked early in the year and it's come back to bite them in the ass now- but to say they sucked all year long shows you haven't been paying attention.

Dozerdog
03-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Ever wonder why Ted Nolan has not sniffed a pro job since he was canned 5-6 years ago? There has been what- 60-70 vacancies since he was fired? Some guys have received 2-3 jobs since he's been canned.

And yet no one has seen fit to give him a call......huh.....

Maybe Hasek carried the club more than we realized.

Twistmyarm
03-14-2004, 12:54 AM
the funny part is you have the testicular fortitude to go by the screen name Buffalofan...and you are cutting the Sabes head off before it is over...pahhh-thetic!!!!

fushetti
03-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Another pro-Ted Nolan guy. Great.... If you wanted to make a strong argument, Buffalofan, you'd be calling for Muckler back. At least he's back in the league and building a cup winner. Nolan's still sniffing the Ojibway Inspirational Speaker circuit.

How can you possibly say that the players run roughshod all over Ruff? These guys have been playing hard.

qcsabresfan84
03-14-2004, 09:08 AM
WOW .. I guess I struck a few nerves here lately, But I stand by my words on both the Sabres and Drew Henson. The Sabres WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS ! And the Bills made a mistake NOT GOING FOR HENSON.

Am I folding on my teams ? NO !! I am just stating facts here people. It is possible to be a fan and not agree with every move they make.

The Sabres have been playing poorly all season long, and what did they do to prove they were serious about the playoffs ? .. nothing .. zip ... nada !

We are sitting on our hands holding 3 goalies and we havent tried to trade any of them for someone who can actually score. Do I still love this team ? HELL YES ! But changes have to be made. Clean house and start the hell over !

And heres another thing that bugs me .. get rid of that UGLY ASS uniform and bring back the blue and gold. We have the WORST UNIFORMS in hockey or any other sport.

Lindy has had what .. 7,8 years as coach. And dont give me this crap about having no talent. A good coach makes use of what he has and gets the best out of his people. Lindy cant do it. The players walk all over him because they dont fear him.

Bring back Ted Nolan. He could get his boys to play !

Sorry Lindy, your time is up. No matter what some of the fans of Buffalo seem to think. Youve had your chance .. Next !!!

True that Ruff has had 7 or 8 years coaching the team, but don't forget taht we had a playoff team just a few years ago that he coached and it went all the way to the finals. We made the playoffs for about 5 years in a row under his watch. I think he's doing pretty damn good considering this team doesn't throw money at everyone like the red wings or stars. The fact that Lindy can take the youngest team in the league and make them playoff contenders means that he's doing something right.

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Last 6 seasons under Ruff after the trading deadline-

43-25-10-4

That would equate to 1 NHL season finishing with 100 points.

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Granted- I would trade Ruff in for Joel Quenville in a heartbeat- but Ruff has done a lot with no talent

realmendontwearteal
03-14-2004, 10:59 AM
buffalo fan- you give up too easily

Buffalofan
03-14-2004, 11:23 AM
BUFFALOFAN !! Get it !! Do you know what that term means Mr (or Mrs) Twistmyarm ?! It means that I am a fan of Buffalo ! Do I have to agree with every move they make ? of course not ! But hey, if you guys want to sit back and watch ANOTHER year go by while we WATCH everyone else in the playoffs thats your choice. I am tired of it .. Thank God for Pittsburgh, at least someone is having a worse season than we are.

Frankly you guys need to calm down. This is MY opinion .. what I think is wrong with this team. You can agree or not, thats your choice .. thats what makes this country great. me, I am just getting tired of watching year afetr year go by and nothing positive happening to this team.

And get over it Twistmyarm .. it is OVER. The season is Over. And even if this team does make the playoffs (which they wont) so what .. it will be a 4-0 first round exit.

Testicular Fortitude ? I love it. And you call me pathetic. Run along and do your homework little man, I am sure you have a math test or something tomorrow.

Buffalofan
03-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Seriously ... who really believes the Sabres are going to make the playoffs ? Lets hear it.

Buffalofan says NO.

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 12:32 PM
I give them a 50-50 shot, looking a tthe upcoming schedule, and Islander performance over the past week or two

realmendontwearteal
03-14-2004, 12:44 PM
a playoff chance is still there.....i hope they get in

qcsabresfan84
03-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Buffalofan, you're saying that the sabres need to clean house and start over. All that does is put buffalo another 3 seasons away from the playoffs, which would leave you complaining halfway through the first season. Some fan of buffalo that you are.

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 01:20 PM
So many times fans forget the economics of sports when they vent frustration over a lack of moves by management - and it can be said across all sports.

The Sabres are digging out of bankruptcy - Rigas lied to the league about the economic mess the team was in and the team assumed way more debt than the league allows. In the past few seasons I actually give Reiger some high marks for unloading higher priced underacheivers like Gratton, Wolley, Curtis Brown, Varada and others- and has done very nice getting Drury, Briere, Grier, Brown - and retained some of their current talent like Satan.

Some deals didn't pan out- like Peca and Hasek- but because of the economics- Reiger was put in a very difficult barganing position.

But with a looming strike, Reiger has put together a good team that wll get through the nuclear winter and emerge pretty much intact.

Of course, we could fire Reigher, Fire Ruff, Dump Satan, Zhitnik, Biron, and everyone else- like the Rangers and Capitals, and then hope the prospects pan out in 2007

Buffalofan
03-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Look Fellas, I am just venting a little frustration after a disappointing season. We all know that this board is nothing more than a place for people to express thier opinions and vent their frustrations over thier favorite teams.

As Dozer has said it is all the economics of sports. I realize that. I also realize that just because someone says something on the boards doesnt mean its going to happen.

Any fan of Buffalo (Bills or Sabres) who can honestly tell me that they were happy with the way either of our seasons turned out I would love to hear it. The great city and the fans of Buffalo have been starved for a Championship long enough. It hasnt happened yet so that tells me something has to change.

I did not start this thread with the intention of people telling me that I am not a fan of Buffalo. I have probably forgot more about Buffalo sports than half the people on this board will ever know. All I am saying is something has to give. How long are we going to hold on to Lindy Ruff and his constant line shifting? When are we going to make the trade that has the rest of the league looking at Buffalo and saying .. damn, they are serious about Hockey. Do we dump everybody ? Of course not. But sometimes you have to give a little to get a little.

I aslo stand by my impression of Ted Nolan. Under Ted we were known as the hardest working team in Hockey ! What are we known as under Lindy Ruff? The team who will miss the playoffs .. again. As for Ted I have no idea whay no other team has picked him up. Its a shame, they are missing out on a great coach who knows the game and gets people to play.

But its all good guys. One day the sabres will show the NHL how to win games.

And QC .. if you are content with this current team and the brand of hockey than I feel sorry for you. Living in Charlotte you may want to stick to Nascar. No offense brother, but this is far from a legitimate hockey team. And you are right .. I AM a fan of Buffalo !!

I wish the Sabres the best, it just wont be anytime soon !

qcsabresfan84
03-14-2004, 02:14 PM
And QC .. if you are content with this current team and the brand of hockey than I feel sorry for you. Living in Charlotte you may want to stick to Nascar. No offense brother, but this is far from a legitimate hockey team. And you are right .. I AM a fan of Buffalo !!

I grew up in Buffalo and I've lived in Michigan and Minnesota. I've played hockey my whole life. I think I know a little bit more about what makes a legitimate hockey team than you do, obviously, seeing as you don't consider being only 5 points out with a dozen games to go legit.

Buffalofan
03-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Ok QC .. you are obviously wise in your ways. Just because you lived in Hockey cities does not make you an expert, nor does the fact that you have played the game. I respect your opinions but you cannot respect mine so I guess this conversation shall come to an end.

But I will tell you this .. the Sabres WILL NOT make the playoffs. As evident once again tonight they cannot hang on to a lead nor can they score in OT. They do not have the talent it takes. They have had the opportunity in hand to gain 6 points against the Bruins (twice) and Toronto tonight .. they had the lead in every game going into the 3rd period and BLEW ALL 3 GAMES !!!! Instead of a definite 6, they ended up with a pathetic 3 points. Some playoff team. I guess you dont know as much as you think.

And dont get me wrong, I am surely not gloating. I would love nothing more than the Sabres to hoist the Cup, but it will not happen with this team. The playoffs will not happen either. You can say I am not a fan if you want to but that is far from the truth. A real fan recognizes his teams shortcomings and knows when a good team is on the ice and when one is not.

have a nice night QC .. I will be checking back in with you after the season .. I guess then we will see who knows more ...

BuffaloRanger
03-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Poor Buffalofan.

To him the glass is not half-empty.

To him, it's..
old,
cracked,
dirty,
not as good as it used to be,
not as good as other glasses,
won't make it through the dishwasher,
and even if it did - it would still not be good enough to drink from.

You could have posted your same arguements at the beginning of the season on why the Sabres weren't going to make the playoffs. No real stars. (They didn't have an All-Star for the first time.) So many other teams are better. It's all true.

But the fact is, even though they are giving away points now, they are still in the hunt. They can get hot or just play decent and the Isles (with better players) can crumble, and make it in.

Are they a cup contender? Realistically - No. But a playoff series, especially a winning one, might light a fire under the owner's ass. It would give him a taste of playoff hockey excitement. It might even make him willing to open his wallet to really improve the team.

Buffalofan
03-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Ok BuffaloRanger ... youre absolutley right ! This team is awesome ! What was I thinking ? You and QC have made me see the light. I am reborn with faith because of your words of encouragement ... well not really !!

And as for the glass , well its not half empty, cracked or even dirty. Theres just a big hole in the bottom of it and the playoffs leaked out .. apparently down the front of your shirt. But go ahead and take another sip and wonder why your still thirtsy.

Ebenezer
03-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Granted- I would trade Ruff in for Joel Quenville in a heartbeat- but Ruff has done a lot with no talent

The problem with this team has never been Ruff...nobody in the league has made more chicken salad out of chicken poop since Hasek left.

Patrick76777
03-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Guys, how about this! It’s a revolutionary theory but just hear me out! Maybe in the cyclical world of sports, we just happen to be on the bottom right now? Maybe? Maybe after building the team up in the 90’s and trading prospects to make a cup run in the late 90’s, we’re just on a down turn! It happens to all sports teams. The Sabres were good for nearly all the 90’s and went to the cup in 99 which was the peak. In 00 and 01 they started the downturn by just making the playoffs and not going very far. In 2002, they continued the downturn by barely missing the playoffs! In 2003 it’s conceivable that they hit rock bottom by being eliminated from the playoffs some 2 months before the season started. At the end of last season and before this season they made some significant changes and in now they’re back to just missing or maybe, just making the playoffs. If they continue the trend, maybe they’ll be a solid 6 or 7 seed next year!

I don’t know, just a thought!

Patrick76777
03-16-2004, 08:03 AM
That being said, We may not have a season next year!

Ebenezer
03-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
That being said, We may not have a season next year!

I think that is the most accurate prediction I have seen around here lately.

Myers57
03-16-2004, 10:12 AM
I think a few more off-season changes will need to be made if we are to be a 6th or 7th seed next season...

However you never know, other teams will lose their stars possibly if a salary cap is placed and will allow the Sabres to become more competitive...

Buffalofan
03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Great points Patrick ! My intention was to never slam this team, simply to point out that they are not playoff caliber. Perhaps the right changes can be made and they can rise back to the top or at least as close as possible.

Everyone knows the Sabres cannot afford to buy player the way other teams do (aka Red Wings) which is why a salary cap needs to be in place. Bring a Cup to Buffalo and alot more star players will want to play here as well. Who wants to come to Buffalo right now ? Nobody !

The sabres will be better next year .. or whenever Hockey starts up again.

qcsabresfan84
03-16-2004, 04:22 PM
have a nice night QC .. I will be checking back in with you after the season .. I guess then we will see who knows more ...

Having never said that I know that we'll make the playoffs, that last comment has me confused. Not one person on the forum is saying that the sabres WILL make the playoffs, everyone just knows that there is a legitimate chance. You're the only one claiming to know the future.

BuffaloRanger
03-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Ok BuffaloRanger ... youre absolutley right ! This team is awesome ! What was I thinking ? You and QC have made me see the light. I am reborn with faith because of your words of encouragement ... well not really !!

And as for the glass , well its not half empty, cracked or even dirty. Theres just a big hole in the bottom of it and the playoffs leaked out .. apparently down the front of your shirt. But go ahead and take another sip and wonder why your still thirtsy.

I never said they were awesome. See the "not a cup contender" comment.

But I will say that your posts make you sound like a whining little *****.

That's not an attack on you of course, which would be against the TOS, just an observation about the tone of your posts.

You are the message board equivalent of Randy Quaid's character in the movie "Major League" that sits there in the stands and constantly says the team sucks. "See, I told you they sucked...but you wouldn't believe me!"

Buffalofan
03-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Rather than resort to the "Buffalo Ranger" style of posting I will remember that I am above the age of 20 and have the ability to present my thoughts in a manner free of name calling and/or profanity.

Its obvious I have struck a nerve with the "Ranger" so perhaps I should leave all the hockey expertise in his hands. He has made it clear that he is the one with all the knowledge so watch out Gary Bettman, your job may be in jeopardy.

(well not really)