PDA

View Full Version : If Terrence McGee steps up a little more...

ublinkwescore
03-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Do you think we'll even miss Winfield?

ublinkwescore
03-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Or Kevin Thomas?

Think TD would be willing to gamble on one of them stepping up and avoiding searching for another CB?

ScottLawrence
03-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Yea... We will miss his Tackling.

I think if we dont sign Vincent it should get a strong intrest for DE Ogunleye from the Dolphins.

He doesn't want to say in Miami, and hasn't signed the tender for the Dolphins. If we did sign him, it would ease the growing pains for McGee and Thomas and our Secondary would look a lot better then it really is.

Just a thought.

qcsabresfan84
03-14-2004, 02:29 PM
It's pretty risky to just hope that he will step up after only one year in the NFL.

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Yea... We will miss his Tackling.

I think if we dont sign Vincent it should get a strong intrest for DE Ogunleye from the Dolphins.

He doesn't want to say in Miami, and hasn't signed the tender for the Dolphins. If we did sign him, it would ease the growing pains for McGee and Thomas and our Secondary would look a lot better then it really is.

Just a thought.

Ogun would cost the Bills the 13th pick in the draft- and their 3rd round pick as well

No way in hell

mypoorfriendme
03-14-2004, 02:52 PM
we dont need mcgee to step up and become a star, for next season, he just needs to be satisfactory and id rather have start and do a descent job than blow our wad and bring in a vet CB that can do only a slightly better job

ublinkwescore
03-14-2004, 02:57 PM
That's a good point that I was kinda getting at.

TV won't be had for less then 3 mil a year given what other CBs have been acquired for.

I'd be more concerned with getting us a couple of guards and a center to get our O back in shape obviously our O won't be worth a $#!+ if Bledslow can't get rid of the ball because he's on his back after 1 second - our D will be fine with McGee/Thomas replacing Winfield I think.

Tatonka
03-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Ogun would cost the Bills the 13th pick in the draft- and their 3rd round pick as well

No way in hell

exactly.

Will McGahee Fast
03-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Ogunleye hasnt signed the tender offer. Drew Rosenhaus has said the Ogunleye will not sign the tender offer. its obvious he wants to get Ogunleye the big contract. Im guessing he could be had for our 2nd round pick and a 2nd or 3rd next year.

mypoorfriendme
03-14-2004, 04:03 PM
thats still two picks and a ton of money. i say we wait and see what kelsey can do. obviously our line couldnt have been that big of a problem seeing as our D was the second best in the league

Will McGahee Fast
03-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah it is 2 picks but hes also a pro bowler. He would be a quick fix to the line though.

mypoorfriendme
03-14-2004, 04:53 PM
a quick fix to a problem that hardly exists. no matter how you look at it, wed be spending a huge part of our cap on defense....yes defense. dont fix it if it aint broken! our defense is number 2 in the leauge!!! we dont need help at d-end when we have players progressing. im much more concerned with DT personally. adams and williams arent gettign any younger

ShadowHawk7
03-14-2004, 05:03 PM
agreed ;)

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 05:12 PM
In last year's watered down draft- he might be worth it- especially if McGahee was off the board.

Ogun for McDougal and Crowell? I'd have taken a chance.

But the 13th and 78th picks in the deepest draft in 25 seasons???

I don't want Miami to get a Ben Roethlesberger or Roy/Reggie Williams and a great 3rd round pick (Let's say Stepanovich or Stephen Peterman)

Football 101- either rebuild in FAcy (more expensive and short term) or build in the draft (long term more fiscally sound but requires patience)

The Spaz
03-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Who's McDougal?:snicker::beer:

Mr. Cynical
03-14-2004, 06:03 PM
You know, I forgot about Thomas. Now that I think about it, he did a pretty damn good job while he was in there. Didn't he make a few nice INTs? Or pass break ups?

I agree - if Thomas/McGee can play at a solid level (not asking for stars) I think we should focus more on spending to get a speed WR, pass rushing DE or....cough, cough....a decent QB. ;)

Marvelous
03-14-2004, 06:51 PM
I think McGee will be A-OK ;):)
Losing Winfield and Ruben improved our team.. Maybe this season we will struggle with the youth @ that position but in time we will be happy..

BuffaloRanger
03-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Last year...

"Do you think we'll miss Peerless if Josh Reed steps up?"

This year...

"Do you think we'll miss Winfield if McGee steps up?"

No guarentee that Kelsey and Denney will improve. We may have seen their best already.

Defense was #2 last year. I guess we'll find out if Lebeau made a difference based on how the D does this year.

Bert102176
03-14-2004, 10:48 PM
yes we'll miss Winfield alot if we don't sign TV we'll need someone to step up big time

BillsFever
03-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Some thinks McGee will be great? Why is that, because he did a decent job against other teams 3rd and 4th WR's?

A lot of people said the same thing about Ken Irvin, Chris Watson, and Kevin Thomas over the past 3 years.

Not saying he couldn't, but just because he has a decent season in limited duty against 3rd and 4th WR's doesn't mean he can be a starting CB going up against the big boys.

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 11:04 PM
He doesn't need to be great- just decent.

If Buffalo'ds defense slips fom second to 10th, but the offense climbs to 10th, I'll be estatic

Basically- it came down to which CB did the Bills want to keep- Clements next season or Winfield this season. Winfield bolted first chance he got- apparently seling his house before the season even ended.

Draft a CB if prople are woried about it.

mypoorfriendme
03-14-2004, 11:50 PM
the more i think about it the more i think we shuold just trade down to 20 or so and pick up one of the top 4 corners (either gamble, robinson, straight, or hall). this way weve got a lot of youth in our backfield and a lot of choices to move to FS and good talent even at nickel and dime back.

mypoorfriendme
03-14-2004, 11:51 PM
trading down of course only if a super-star doesnt fall to 13

Dozerdog
03-15-2004, 12:02 AM
I hope someone wants to trade with us.

The_Philster
03-15-2004, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
A lot of people said the same thing about Ken Irvin, Chris Watson, and Kevin Thomas over the past 3 years.

Kenny actually started out pretty good until they made him switch positions to allow Antoine to take the LCB slot...I'd still have preferred Kerner, though.

Marvelous
03-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
Some thinks McGee will be great? Why is that, because he did a decent job against other teams 3rd and 4th WR's?

Not saying he couldn't, but just because he has a decent season in limited duty against 3rd and 4th WR's doesn't mean he can be a starting CB going up against the big boys.
Team #3 and #4 WR you say.. Your kinda off. McGee played some nickel and some #1WR + #2wr. sometimes winfield played Slot.
I just know i saw McGee playing #1 + #2 WR's..
Anyone care to remember? or have stats???

The_Philster
03-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Sippio
Team #3 and #4 WR you say.. Your kinda off. McGee played some nickel and some #1WR + #2wr. sometimes winfield played Slot.
I just know i saw McGee playing #1 + #2 WR's..
Anyone care to remember? or have stats???

Unless they changed it last year, Winfield was playing the slot WRs a lot of the time in the nickel and dime formations.