PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Law

mightyspaz
03-15-2004, 01:42 AM
I'm wondering what everyone else thinks are the possibilities that Law will come to Buffalo and that Donahoe could have known there was somethin' brewing? ..... If we land law, then TD is God! .... Nuff Said

Lone Stranger
03-15-2004, 02:04 AM
Law wants $ only well above what a prudent person might be willing to pay. Plus he's under contract and there is no way BB will let him walk away.

mypoorfriendme
03-15-2004, 02:11 AM
i dont think law will be a patriot, but he wont be in a bills uniform either.

Ickybaluky
03-15-2004, 07:22 AM
Most likely, Law already knows there is a team out there that already agreed to pay him the money.

Think about it, Law is coming off a great season and he sees all these CB out there signing big-money deals. His agent tells him there are teams willing to pay him, but he can't get the money because he isn't a free agent. However, if he comes out in the paper and trashes the organization, maybe he can get himself out of the contract. He even offers to refund the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus. This is an obvious exit strategy.

It isn't much different than Milloy. Milloy was all set to accept the pay cut from the Pats, his having agreed to the money. Then his agent talked to some other teams (sure it is tampering, but everyone does it), and got a committal that Milloy would get more elsewhere. The next day, prior to being released, Milloy is telling teammates that he has another deal lined up elsewhere. He then refuses to take the paycut and is released.

Milloy and Law have the same agent, and you better believe the Poston's have talked to teams about what Law would get if he were to be released. In fact, the parameters of a deal is probably already in place, and Law would be signed with a new team withing days.

Of course, the Pats aren't likely to release him. He will probably continue to become louder and campaign for his release (notice he isn't asking for a trade), and he will try to be such a pain in the ass that he team decides to cut it's losses. However, the Pats aren't likely to bite unless they have some sort of backup plan, and figure he isn't worth it anymore.

That is the way it works in today's NFL...

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Law turned down a 4 year, 26 million dollar deal. There is no way TD pays more than that knowing he will have to save some dough for next year with his impending free agents.

Patrick76777
03-15-2004, 07:37 AM
1000 ZB Fine!

Novacane
03-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
Law turned down a 4 year, 26 million dollar deal.

And he called that offer an insult. I don't want players like that. Just turn it down. He is obviously to stupid to realize how much calling 6.5 million a year an insult pisses off a lot of fans.

I don't want him.

Ickybaluky
03-15-2004, 08:06 AM
He isn't stupid, he is the exact opposite. He realizes he is pissing off the fans, but it is business. The fact is, if he can get out of the deal with the Pats he is in line for a huge contract with someone. By making noise in the press, he is hoping he can force a release.

Novacane
03-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Fine, he's not stupid............just arrogant and selfish. I still don't want him.

madness
03-15-2004, 09:40 AM
I still like the fact he was wearing a Bills tshirt during an interview.

BAM
03-15-2004, 10:02 AM
white bills t-shirt, white bills t-shirt ... :pray:

TigerJ
03-15-2004, 11:53 AM
I don't necessarily buy the notion that he has the framework of a deal already in place. I do think it likely the Patriots will release him. I think the delay might have something to do with team spite. They see him as a traitor, seeking to cash in on the Super Bowl. I think he probably is not in their plans because of that. Most of the overinflated contracts (which Law was hoping to get) are signed in the first phase of free agency. That has passed. The longer the Patriots delay, the more teams will be up tight against their cap, and the smaller the market to which Law can pedal his services. I think he's still going to be out of Buffalo's price range, but thanks to the Patriots, he's going to have to sign for a lot less than he would have commanded during the first week of March. My guess is that his agent will end up negotiation a one year deal, hoping he has another great season next year, so he can sign a big contract in 2005.

Ickybaluky
03-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Spite? Please. It is strictly business on both sides, nothing unusual for the NFL today.

Why would the Pats wait? He has already made it clear that he won't restructure so it isn't like waiting will improve bargaining position, and cutting him before June 1 would save over $5M. Why wait until after June 1 and spread dead money into next season? That makes no sense.

Also, if the Pats were going to cut him, don't you think they would protect themselves by finding a replacement? So far, they have held off signing anyone at CB. With Milloy, they protected themselves by bringing in Harrison.

This is a simple case of the player being too valuable to cut, but the team doesn't want to pay him the big money it would take to extend him. For Law, he wants out of his deal so he is trying to make noise. Pure and simple.

If you think he doesn't have the parameters of an offer already lined up, you are incredibly gullible. He knows what he can get in FA, and enough teams have cap room that he would have no trouble finding a suitor, even later in the year.

At any rate, the Pats would trade him before cutting him. He has value.

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 12:40 PM
If Bledsoe is cut and Volek signed for about half of what Bledsoe was due, Law becomes a more likely candidate to start opposite Nate.

JefftheBillsfan
03-15-2004, 05:15 PM
who cares we have vincent now.

mchurchfie
03-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
who cares we have vincent now.

Exactly, time to focus on the WR, OL, and DL positions. That's too much money for a corner when we have more pressing needs.

BAM
03-15-2004, 05:26 PM
i'd still take him in a heartbeat, how would anyone pass on us?