PDA

View Full Version : Bills Breaking News on ESPN NEWS....

Michael82
03-15-2004, 03:51 PM
I just watched ESPN News and they said that the Bills and Troy Vincent have agreed in principle to a contract. They also said that the Bills are working on a contract with QB Billy Volek. :up:

Halbert
03-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Why not, they've got something better than film ...

Tatonka
wow.. working on a volek contract too.. that will leave us a heck of alot of options for the draft.

Devin
*sigh*

The Spaz
03-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Vincent-:up: Volek-:idunno:

Michael82
03-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
wow.. working on a volek contract too.. that will leave us a heck of alot of options for the draft.

Oh yeah baby! It will also cease all rumors about drafting a QB in the 1st round and wasting the pick for the future.

ArcticWildMan
03-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Volek's contract better be cheap. No more ridiculous 25 mil contracts allowed in Buffalo :mad:

Devin
03-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

Oh yeah baby! It will also cease all rumors about drafting a QB in the 1st round and wasting the pick for the future.

I hope to god your wrong, Rivers is so much better then Volek.

The Spaz
03-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Volek's contract better be cheap. No more ridiculous 25 mil contracts allowed in Buffalo :mad:

TD wasn't around when that bull**** was signed. Thank god!:up::beer:

elltrain22
03-15-2004, 03:57 PM
wow.. working on a volek contract too.. that will leave us a heck of alot of options for the draft

Yup, yup.

Now, we don't need to draft a cb or a qb w/ our 1st pick, now its either wr or de.

Vincent:twirl: Volek:cool:

Michael82
03-15-2004, 03:58 PM

I totally agree! Good thing that TD is not like Butler. :phew:

Nighthawk
03-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Trust me, they're going after Volek because they have no confidence in AVP. We all know that Bledsoe is going to be here this year, but just in case he doesn't work out, I'm sure the Bills want somebody who can come in and take the keys and drive the truck. Obviously, AVP isn't good enough or he would have been in there last year. Signing Volek would be a great move and I believe that the Bills will still draft a QB in the 3rd round or so. Then next year, you have Volek (who has NFL experience) and a young kid who can develop in the system...it makes sense!

ZacGriffi~82
03-15-2004, 04:03 PM
correct me if im wrong but volek isnt exactly young...31 i believe

Devin
your wrong lol

Hes 26-27

ArcticWildMan
27 I believe.

ZacGriffi~82
03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
figures..lol

Michael82
03-15-2004, 04:06 PM

socalfan
03-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Isn't that the same age as RJ when we got him??

Michael82
03-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by socalfan

shhhhh! Don't mention that name in here. :couch:

socalfan
03-15-2004, 04:12 PM
And didn't RJ have that one really good game too....he won, threw for 290+ yards....deja vu.

Michael82
03-15-2004, 04:14 PM
And didn't RJ have that one really good game too....he won, threw for 290+ yards....deja vu.

:gag:

The_Philster
03-15-2004, 04:14 PM

Exactly why I'm not gonna get excited if we sign this guy.

the dude
03-15-2004, 04:20 PM
c'mon SoCal - don't be using the uniform RJ=Volek argument simply based on the one start. He saw action in 7 games, put together a101 QB rating. And the one thing he has that RJ never did is pocket presence. RJ had a big arm, was accurate and was really fast and had loads of physical talent. Volek's strengths are his intelligence, his accuracy and ability to feel the rush. They're both accurate, BV just has WAAAAYYY more poise in his pinkie than RJ could dream of ... plus we wouldn't be giving up a first rounder or a 25 million dollar contract to get him here. I'm ecstatic that we may have a viable alternative to DB in the works ...

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 04:21 PM
I pity the foo who compares RJ to Volek!

socalfan
03-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I pity the foo who compares RJ to Volek!

Those that do not know their history are condemned to repeat it.

socalfan
03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by the dude
c'mon SoCal - don't be using the uniform RJ=Volek argument simply based on the one start. He saw action in 7 games, put together a101 QB rating. And the one thing he has that RJ never did is pocket presence. RJ had a big arm, was accurate and was really fast and had loads of physical talent. Volek's strengths are his intelligence, his accuracy and ability to feel the rush. They're both accurate, BV just has WAAAAYYY more poise in his pinkie than RJ could dream of ... plus we wouldn't be giving up a first rounder or a 25 million dollar contract to get him here. I'm ecstatic that we may have a viable alternative to DB in the works ...

RJ's one game had him with a QB rating of 101. But, the good news is that it won't cost a couple of draft picks.

The_Philster
03-15-2004, 04:32 PM

:hi5: Hopefully, Volek will be a find if we get him...but it's right to be cautious.

shelby
03-15-2004, 04:37 PM
:snicker: TD is still the man.:up:

Halbert
03-15-2004, 04:47 PM

seriously. rj looked good in his tenn starts and damn good in his meaningless season finale w/ buffalo.

Halbert
03-15-2004, 04:48 PM
But Volek sure did look great against us, didn't he? I think he'll be a ProBowler. lol.

SABURZFAN
03-15-2004, 04:51 PM
i really never thought that we had a shot at vincent.if this is true,i wonder what the contract will look like.

L.A. Playa
03-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Billy Volek = Billy Joe Hobert???? LMAO

juice
03-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
i really never thought that we had a shot at vincent.if this is true,i wonder what the contract will look like.

Thats another thread.

STAMPY
03-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by juice
Thats another thread.

no need to act like a wiseass

juice
03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
no need to act like a wiseass

Who said anything to you?

SABURZFAN
03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
just found it.thanks guys.:up:

The Spaz
03-15-2004, 04:57 PM
:holdhand:

BAM
03-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Volek filled in for McNair numerous times last year and they never lost a step. I would love to have this guy around in case Bledsoe falters again...

Novacane
03-15-2004, 05:04 PM

So no one should ever draft a QB in the first round because Leaf was a bust.

No one should ever draft a smaller DE in the draft because Flowers was a bust.

Each player should be evaluated separately. We should not shy away from Volek because RJ sucked. We would not be giving up the #9 pick in the draft for him and I will guarantee TD is not signing him to a 25 million contract

BAM
03-15-2004, 05:06 PM
1st round picks always suck anyways :rolleyes:

TigerJ
03-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Vincent's contract is for 6 years and around 20 million dollars, including a 3.6 million dollar signing bonus. There are articles on the front page pertaining to the amount. At 32 years old, I'd be a little surprised if Vincent ever saw the end of that contract. If the Bills can get 4 years out of him, that would leave a cap hit of 1.2 million when he departs. That's manageable.

The comparisons of Volek with RJ don't have a lot of basis. I think Volek is a little older than RJ was, has more playing time in the pros, will sign a much smaller contract, did not cost a first round pick, and is not being asked to compete to start his first year here. I agree that AVP looks like the odd man out here. It's still conceivable that Buffalo could draft a QB, but I don't think there is any way it will happen on day one. It'll be someone to compete with Travis Brown for the 3rd QB spot.

Dantheman1280
03-15-2004, 05:14 PM
TD finally made a move!! THANK GOD!! IT was getting to the point with TV **** or get off the pot. Volek shoul.d be interesting, im not sure if I agree or not but if he is at a fair price why not!

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Signing Volek makes too much sense.

If a Rookie is brought in, He will have to wait one, maybe two years. At that time Moulds, Big Pat and Sam, Vincent, Milloy, possibly others will most likely be on the downside of their career if they are not already. IMO, those are key pieces to the puzzle. We can't afford to go into this season with Bledsoe and no one.

And what is to stop the Bills from drafting a QB in addition to Volek? Some of you guys make it sound like there is a rule against aquiring two QBs in one offseason, :rofl:.

If Bledsoe will remain the starter, then why do you have such a problem with it? Surely you don't think having a good backup is a bad thing, I assume.

How anyone could have a problem with getting Volek is beyond me. I guess you're just happy with mid-30s AVP? :idunno:

Novacane
03-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by BAM
1st round picks always suck anyways :rolleyes:

Not always. Vick, Manning, Kelly, Marino............

Novacane
03-15-2004, 05:19 PM

How anyone could have a problem with getting Volek is beyond me. I guess you're just happy with mid-30s AVP? :idunno:

Because he actually has a chance of unseating the hero Bledsoe

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

ding, ding, ding!!!

BAM
03-15-2004, 05:23 PM

Not always. Vick, Manning, Kelly, Marino............

my bad, i forgot to enter my [sarcasm] tags... :D

Ickybaluky
03-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Vincent is a good signing for Buffalo, he can fill at CB for a couple years and move to FS, like Aeneas Williams. He is also a team leader and a guy that knows how to do thing the right way.

Volek also would be a good signing, if it happens. He would be a legitimate guy to push Drew (which he needs) and has enough potential to replace him if he fails.

I still think the Bills would be wise to draft a young QB, even in the 1st round if they felt the right guy was available.

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by NE39
Vincent is a good signing for Buffalo, he can fill at CB for a couple years and move to FS, like Aeneas Williams. He is also a team leader and a guy that knows how to do thing the right way.

Volek also would be a good signing, if it happens. He would be a legitimate guy to push Drew (which he needs) and has enough potential to replace him if he fails.

I still think the Bills would be wise to draft a young QB, even in the 1st round if they felt the right guy was available.

right on :up:

I couldn't agree more.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

They won't go away with a lot of the dreamers on this board.

Buffatexas
03-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Someone on this thread said that if we fail to know our history, then we are doomed to repeat it. Correct me if I am wrong. the last time we drafted a qb with the premise of replacing the aging vet we had was 1983. And we drafted him in the first round. I say repeat history, draft the qb in the first be it Rivers or Whataburger and let's hope he will get the time to learn and finally replace Bledsoe. Just for the record, I am not anti-drew but he is what we have and I believe that Volek is not the answer.

ShadowHawk7
03-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by ZacGriffi~82
correct me if im wrong but volek isnt exactly young...31 i believe

Originally posted by Devin
your wrong lol

Hes 26-27

27 I believe.

Hehehe, he looks more like he's 10 or sumthing. :snicker2:

Lone Stranger
03-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Volek would be a relatively cheap acquisitions - say $7million over 3 years. If we were to draft a QB early he would cost twice that amount....IMO. I believe TD is right on with this one.

ShadowHawk7
03-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Most definitley! ;) Then bring in Smoker in the 5th!

Tatonka
03-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by elltrain22
Yup, yup.

Now, we don't need to draft a cb or a qb w/ our 1st pick, now its either wr or de.

Vincent:twirl: Volek:cool:

or DT or C or OG or TE or S

the options would be wide open really.

The Spaz
03-15-2004, 06:58 PM

or DT or C or OG or TE or S

the options would be wide open really.

Ben Watson damn it!:up::beer::pray:

Tatonka
03-15-2004, 06:58 PM
So no one should ever draft a QB in the first round because Leaf was a bust.

No one should ever draft a smaller DE in the draft because Flowers was a bust.

Each player should be evaluated separately. We should not shy away from Volek because RJ sucked. We would not be giving up the #9 pick in the draft for him and I will guarantee TD is not signing him to a 25 million contract

rofl.. classic post.. good stuff fairway.. good stuff.

Tatonka
03-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by NE39

shame that one of the smartest/best posters on this board is a fan of satans team.

;)

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
Most definitley! ;) Then bring in Smoker in the 5th!

:drool:

my dream.

BuffaloRanger
03-15-2004, 07:27 PM

Yeah! There's nothing like a good QB controversy to get the blood going! oh yeah...and divide the fans.

Fairway wants a return to the "Bickering Bills"!

If and it's a big IF, Volek signed with the Bills Drew would still be the starter, no doubt about it.

Ferguson. The only QB the Bills have ever developed from the draft. Fans would be running a 1st round QB out of town after 2 bad games.

Buffatexas
03-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Kelly was a first rounder....and if I am not mistaken, he did sit under ferguson so in a sense, you could say that we developed him

Dozerdog
03-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Buffatexas
Kelly was a first rounder....and if I am not mistaken, he did sit under ferguson so in a sense, you could say that we developed him

Kelly never sat under Ferguson. Kelly jumped leagues and played 2 seasons in the USFL.

By the time Kelly returned- Joe Ferguson was a Detroit Lion

bills_7
03-15-2004, 07:39 PM

so after the draft i can see playoff oh hec even superbowl talks happening again.... lets just hope they dont choke like last yr.... as long as the coaching staff doesnt lose the team like last season we should be fine.... if every thing goes as planned and volek signs and we can get a good receiver in the draft theres not that many teams that can match our talent!!!

Buffatexas
03-15-2004, 07:58 PM
I stand corrected

The_Philster
03-15-2004, 08:28 PM

ding, ding, ding!!!

:lol: Try....we're more cautious about an unknown quantity than some.

Bert102176
03-15-2004, 08:34 PM
vincent ya, Volek boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bert102176
03-15-2004, 08:37 PM
we weren't very cautious when we gave Rob Johnson that huge contract

The Spaz
03-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176

Was Tom Donahoe and Tom Modrak here then? No they weren't!

socalfan
03-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Depending on how well the OL turns out this year, Volek could be an improvement over Bledsoe.

helmetguy
03-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Depending on how well the OL turns out this year, Volek could be an improvement over Bledsoe.

Or Bledsoe could be an improvement over Bledsoe.

socalfan
03-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Or Bledsoe could be an improvement over Bledsoe.

That, I would have to see to believe.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-16-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176

You are the biggest *****, ERRR, **#&#(, #*&(Q#@(, (#), MMMMM, I promised I wouldn't say anything about people on this board.

I have an idea:

JJ Moses is on the Houston Texans special teams. Since we got Steve Tasker, who was a Houston Oiler, this guy should be great.

Lets draft Trevor Smith, WR, Kutztown State. It worked the last time we drafted a WR from Kutztown St.

helmetguy
03-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
You are the biggest *****, ERRR, **#&#(, #*&(Q#@(, (#), MMMMM, I promised I wouldn't say anything about people on this board.

I have an idea:

JJ Moses is on the Houston Texans special teams. Since we got Steve Tasker, who was a Houston Oiler, this guy should be great.

Lets draft Trevor Smith, WR, Kutztown State. It worked the last time we drafted a WR from Kutztown St.

Better yet, keep an eye on this guy:

http://sports.mansfield.edu/football/fbplayerpages/jbennett.htm

Or, for OL help in the future:

http://sports.mansfield.edu/football/fbplayerpages/farris.htm
http://sports.mansfield.edu/football/fbplayerpages/ingersoll.htm

They're not Kutztown, obviously, but same conference...PSAC East. I think we have some PSAC connections on the coaching staff.

(That reminds me, I gotta get a note to Ingtar. Maybe I can get him down here for an MU game.)

colin
03-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Looks like we should snatch up a 2 good interior linemen (one on each side) and a WR in the draft.

We might trade Travis for some big impact player or picks, if we could get Taylor the safety I'd say it makes trading Travis a cinch.

Anyhow, I'd like to see us get that one big ass guard/tackle in the first, that DT with the Hawaiian name in the second, and some super fast WR in the third.

As long as we can pull a center out of somewhere, this team looks pretty exciting to me.