PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's a done deal....ESPN confirms...

Michael82
03-15-2004, 04:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1760318

Former Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Troy Vincent, one of the few impact players remaining on the unrestricted free-agent market, has agreed in principle to terms with the Buffalo Bills, ESPN.com has learned.

Vincent, a five-time Pro Bowl player and until Monday arguably the premier defender still available in free agency, chose the Bills over proposals mae by the Cincinnati Bengals and the Kansas City Chiefs. He considered the offers during the weekend and after visiting with the Chiefs coaches and officials last week, and had promised all a decision by Monday.

Contract details were not yet available, but one league source said that Vincent's deal likely is for six years and worth about $20 million.

The Spaz
03-15-2004, 04:19 PM
:party::hump:

shelby
03-15-2004, 04:30 PM
:jawdrop:

Chiefs:psyche:Vincent

ryjam282
03-15-2004, 04:32 PM
6 years? I hope it is backloaded. He won't be around longer then 3 years tops. We will release him by then but I am very happy about the pickup for the short term. He will definitely help out the younger guys in our secondary...Nice job TD.

SABURZFAN
03-15-2004, 04:55 PM
6 year-$20 million isn't too bad.it'll be interesting to see how the contract is set up though.

STAMPY
03-15-2004, 04:59 PM
another good bonus...

Universally acknowledged as one of the NFL's classiest players, Vincent has won several awards for citizenship and social consciousness. He is also one of the players on the NFL workplace diversity working group.

BAM
03-15-2004, 05:04 PM
nice pickup indeed

welcome aboard Troy

:gobills:

helmetguy
03-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Sweet! If he starts to slow down, he could always move to FS. Has Mikey exhaled yet?

shelby
03-15-2004, 05:16 PM
another link:D (http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/news/eagles/2004/031504-troy.asp)

Comcast SportsNet has learned that cornerback Troy Vincent has agreed to terms with the Buffalo Bills. The deal, expected to be for six years and $20 million, including a $3.6 million bonus, should be announced shortly.

The 12-year veteran spent eight seasons with the Eagles after signing as a free agent in 1996. Last season, Vincent tied safety Michael Lewis for the team lead with three interceptions and earned his fifth career trip to the Pro Bowl. He chose the Bills over the Chiefs and Bengals.

mchurchfie
03-15-2004, 05:20 PM
:punk: An improvement over Winfield IMO. This guy is a playmaker.:up:

helmetguy
03-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
:punk: An improvement over Winfield IMO. This guy is a playmaker.:up:

And, he actually has hands that don't function like feet!

The_Philster
03-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Sweet! If he starts to slow down, he could always move to FS. Has Mikey exhaled yet?

:lol:

Mr. Cynical
03-15-2004, 08:48 PM
ESPN quote:
"While he may have lost a half-step, Vincent remains among the top corners in the league, and should be able to play on the edge for at least one more season before he eventually moves inside and concludes his career at safety."

This is what concerns me. I hope the deal is structured so that the $20M is really, really backloaded, allowing them to cut him when he can't play CB any longer. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him at CB past this year and we are set at SS/FS. Don't need an expensive, aging vet taking up cap at that point.

Yes, I know he is a "good guy", a "leader", a "class act"...but so were Sam Gash and Larry Centers and it didn't help much. We need to build this team up for the future with strong, young players.

But hey, at least we'll get one good year. ;)