• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

Can someone please explain to me...

How are some people on this board happy if the Bills are seriously considering giving Volek a contract. I mean, if he is going to be getting what they are giving him what they are giving Van Pelt and then releasing Van Pelt, then OK by me but that guy is by no means the future of this team. He will be a career backup. ROB JOHNSON anyone. What has the guy done to deserve any kind of starting role or QB of the future. Please let me know, cause I may be wrong and just not know too much about him. PLEASE HELP!!

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

• BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Sep 2003

how the hell do you know that already. let the guy at least show you what he has. he played well in the games he played. let him show you what he has b4 u label him

Comment

• Devin
      The Octagon
      • Apr 2003

agreed ry, not a bad QB, not a starter though.
      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• BAM
        • Sep 2003

he looked good in the games he filled in for McNair last season. 7 games is a good tryout IMO. he looked very good against our D last year too..

we'll see

Comment

• PeteG
          • Dec 2003

He looked very good when he played, our starting qb is Drew and our backup is Alex. We need a couple QBs this offseason IMO.
          Lets go Buffalo!

Comment

• helmetguy
            Touch the helmet for luck
            • Sep 2002

He also got a lot of experience in practice working with the starting unit, when McNair was ailing. Okay, so it isn't "game" experience. However, the work that he got was considerably more than what the typical backup gets. That could explain why he showed some poise in his first NFL start.
            Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
            And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• BAM
              • Sep 2003

he played a lot more than people think last season...

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
                how the hell do you know that already. let the guy at least show you what he has. he played well in the games he played. let him show you what he has b4 u label him

Thank You! I don't see why so many are saying he will suck without any thing to back that up other than the RJ experience

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

Will you guys please stop comparing every QB to Rob Johnson. I have no respect for anyone who uses this analogy. What, every time a QB that has had limited QB experience is the next Rob Johnson? Please stop.
                  First off, if the Bills sign Volek and he doesn't work out, they don't waste anything but salary cap money. With Johnson the team wasted a very high pick, along with a fourth rounder. The risk/reward is not very high with a guy like Volek. It was the same with Henson. The cost for Henson is perfect, but Buffalo didn't feel they wanted to take the chance. It is obvious to me that this team is not looking to use that 1st round pick on a QB so all of you creaming over Rivers can put that dream to rest.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                    • Jul 2002

Trust me, they're going after Volek because they have no confidence in AVP. We all know that Bledsoe is going to be here this year, but just in case he doesn't work out, I'm sure the Bills want somebody who can come in and take the keys and drive the truck. Obviously, AVP isn't good enough or he would have been in there last year. Signing Volek would be a great move and I believe that the Bills will still draft a QB in the 3rd round or so. Then next year, you have Volek (who has NFL experience) and a young kid who can develop in the system...it makes sense!

Comment

• helmetguy
                      Touch the helmet for luck
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
                      Thank You! I don't see why so many are saying he will suck without any thing to back that up other than the RJ experience
                      Makes me wonder if they think John Butler's ghost is haunting OBD!
                      Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                      And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
                        How are some people on this board happy if the Bills are seriously considering giving Volek a contract. I mean, if he is going to be getting what they are giving him what they are giving Van Pelt and then releasing Van Pelt, then OK by me but that guy is by no means the future of this team. He will be a career backup. ROB JOHNSON anyone. What has the guy done to deserve any kind of starting role or QB of the future. Please let me know, cause I may be wrong and just not know too much about him. PLEASE HELP!!
                        Originally posted by Devin
                        agreed ry, not a bad QB, not a starter though.
                        i have no idea why you guys would say that... and it is obvious that you guys havent even taken the time to look into this kid just a little.

i will say this.. stats arent everything.. but they are a place to start..

so first -
                        volek played in 7 games last season..

now in the 2 losses.. he was basically the guy that kneeled out.. going 9 for 6, with 1 int and 0 tds in a 33-7 blowout in indy..and was literally the kneeler in the other game.. not throwing a single pass...

now look at the 5 games he played in more significantly..

1) they were all wins.. 5-0
                        2) he was 38 for 60 passing
                        3) only sacked 4 times in 5 games
                        4) 4 tds and ZERO ints
                        5) overall rating was 110.7
                        6) our number 2 defense was one of the teams he schooled.

second -
                        lets look at his size.. he is 6-2 and 217 lbs.. so size is not an issue at all.. age.. he is a little older than i would like, but he is 27 with 5 years of experience. jeff garcia just signed a new deal at age 34.. just for reference.. i can live with that.

third- he doesnt cost us a draft pick in an extremely deep draft.. and he wont cost anything close to what RJ cost.. so the RJ comparisons are nonexistent.. RJ cost us a fortune and some big picks.. the risk was a ton higher.. so get off that comparison, because it doesnt fit and just makes you look uniformed.. brett farve was mostly unproven when the falcons traded him too... so was steve young..

fourth - take a look at a tennesee board.. they are not happy about losing him.. not at all.. they all liked him.. not a single complaint about him... how can you complain about a guy that was 5-0 at the end of the day.. didnt turn the ball over and didnt take sacks?

fifth - he was a starter at fresno state.. while david carr watched from the bench... take a look at his stats.

2 year starter.. 33 tds, 9 ints total, on a bad team that didnt throw that much.

Finished second in the WAC in passing efficiency with a rating of 131.7

scouting report on him coming into the draft:

has good arm strength and a nice touch ... a tremendous athlete ... one of best assets is decision making ... gives Fresno State an added dimension because of his running ability

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                          Trust me, they're going after Volek because they have no confidence in AVP. We all know that Bledsoe is going to be here this year, but just in case he doesn't work out, I'm sure the Bills want somebody who can come in and take the keys and drive the truck. Obviously, AVP isn't good enough or he would have been in there last year. Signing Volek would be a great move and I believe that the Bills will still draft a QB in the 3rd round or so. Then next year, you have Volek (who has NFL experience) and a young kid who can develop in the system...it makes sense!

great post.

i would be giddy to see them sign volek and then draft jeff smoker... wow.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                            • May 2003

Tatonka - Dartboard, Dart, Bullseye.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                              Tatonka - Dartboard, Dart, Bullseye.

Comment

Working...
                              X