PDA

View Full Version : Volek question

OpIv37
03-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Any idea how much we'll end up paying for this guy?

I agree that we need someone better than AVP backing up Drew, but this team has other needs and I don't want the Bills to overpay for a guy who won't even start (not at the beginning of the season anyway).

I also doubt that Volek is the QB of the future. That being said, having him will be an upgrade at that position and we can worry about that later- my main concern is the price tag.

Tatonka
03-15-2004, 06:52 PM
i would say around what alex van pelt is making, Opiv

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
I don't want the Bills to overpay for a guy who won't even start (not at the beginning of the season anyway).

But the thing is, the Bills can wait until the beginning of November to cut Drew, and then proceed to give Schoebs an extention. :up:

As for a contract I would say 5 years 18 million / 4 mil signing bonus, with incentives.

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-15-2004, 06:57 PM
I don't see Volek as the QB of the future. He's 27 years old. He's more of a reliable backup QB. Packers want him as a veteran backup and Atlanta and Denver have good young QBs who had injuries last year and the backups struggled. We don't need a reliable backup we need a young QB like Rivers or Losman,

The_Philster
03-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i would say around what alex van pelt is making, Opiv
I could live with that. :up:

Originally posted by The Natrix
As for a contract I would say 5 years 18 million / 4 mil signing bonus, with incentives.
I couldn't live with that. :down:

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 07:55 PM
:monkey: What The_Philster can live with.

Dozerdog
03-15-2004, 07:57 PM
He will get Jake Dellehomme money-

About 2 million a year

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 08:00 PM
So Atlanta's "Lucrative" deal is only 2 mil per?

I'll bet all my ZBs that he gets more than 2 mil per, regardless of where he ends up.

the dude
03-15-2004, 08:00 PM

that's funny stuff

Dozerdog
03-15-2004, 08:10 PM
So Atlanta's "Lucrative" deal is only 2 mil per?

I'll bet all my ZBs that he gets more than 2 mil per, regardless of where he ends up.

For a backup QB? Sure. It will be around 2-2.5 mill- he's still a backup- and they have a huge investment in Vick.

Buffalo can offer incentives that might entice him- like Dellehomme it was laced with incentives if he eventually won the starting job (as he did) - remember- Dellehomme was signed as a backup.

If Volek goes to Atlanta- he will never be a #1 QB. He might play- but only due to injury and will never be the #1. By the time he departs atlanta, he will be 30 and a 30 year old journeyman will have a tough time being a #1 (Gannon comes to mind- but that is a rare exception)

Buffalo gives him that option. Bledsoe is a lot closer to the end of the road than Vick is

The Spaz
03-15-2004, 08:17 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fres/sports/m-footbl/99-00roster/p-volek.jpghttp://www.onlineathens.com/images/121899/volekLR.jpg
<b>Billy Volek</b>

Fresno State: Returns for his senior season as the undisputed starter... honorable mention All-WAC Pacific Division selection in 1997 ... has good arm strength and a nice touch ... a tremendous athlete ... one of best assets is decision making ... gives Fresno State an added dimension because of his running ability.(1998) Finished second in the WAC in passing efficiency with a rating of 131.7 … fifth in the conference in total offense with 1,955 yards … was the starter for all 11 games, completing 151 passes for 1,973 yards with 10 touchdowns and just three interceptions … threw for a career-best 349 yards on 19 completions in a loss at Texas Tech … had a season-high three passing touchdowns in the win over Hawaii … had a career-long 63-yard pass from scrimmage. (1997) Was one of the WAC's biggest surprises in 1997, throwing for 17 touchdowns and just six interceptions in his first season as a starter ... had not taken a major college snap prior to 1997 ... completed 56 percent of his passes and threw for 1,853 yards ... finished fifth in the WAC in passing efficiency with a 118.8 rating ... had one stretch of 204 consecutive pass attempts without an interception ... had three 200-yard passing games, including a then career-best 288-yard effort in an overtime loss to Oregon. (1996) Spent his redshirt freshman season as the Bulldogs' No. 3 quarterback, behind senior starter Jim Arellanes and senior backup Richie Donati ... appeared in one game, vs. Boise State in November, when he was called on to punt one time. (1995) Redshirt season.

High School: A 1995 graduate of Clovis West High School (Fresno, Calif.) ... named Northwest Yosemite League Offensive Player of the Year as a senior quarterback in 1994 ... completed 83 of 151 passes for 1,365 yards and 12 touchdowns in helping lead the Golden Eagles to an 11-1 record ... selected to play in the City-County All-Star game following his senior season.

Personal: Born 4-28-76 ... son of John and Vicki Volek ... is married to the former Kerri File … father is the head football coach at Sacramento State and former head football coach at Fresno CC ... older brother, Joe, played football at Montana State, and a brother-in-law played football at Georgia.

http://gobulldogs.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/volek_billy00.html

Bert102176
03-15-2004, 08:18 PM
the guy is the next Frank Reich, or Rob Johnson

The Spaz
03-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176

You know this because...

saviorbledsoe
03-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Billy Volek can wash Drews jock maybe.

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176

ok, you convinced me.

The_Philster
03-15-2004, 08:35 PM

:moon:

The Natrix
03-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

:moon:

:boring:

OpIv37
03-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

For a backup QB? Sure. It will be around 2-2.5 mill- he's still a backup- and they have a huge investment in Vick.

Buffalo can offer incentives that might entice him- like Dellehomme it was laced with incentives if he eventually won the starting job (as he did) - remember- Dellehomme was signed as a backup.

More questions (hopefully Eb or Clump will read this):

1. How do incentives count against the cap?
2. If Drew is released and his huge salary is dumped, does it matter?

And finally, if drew is dumped it will most likely be in November to avoid the contract extension- do we really want to change QB's late in a season?

Mr. Cynical
03-15-2004, 10:28 PM
They wouldn't dump him in November if they were dissatisfied with him as the salary cap would already have been hit. At that point in November they would either choose yay or nay on extending his contract by picking up the $2M option or not.

But I will say this - keeping Drew until November hurts big time either way. So if they have any doubts about him they need to cut his a** before the season.

Dozerdog
03-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
More questions (hopefully Eb or Clump will read this):

1. How do incentives count against the cap?
2. If Drew is released and his huge salary is dumped, does it matter?

And finally, if drew is dumped it will most likely be in November to avoid the contract extension- do we really want to change QB's late in a season?

Question 1
Incentive bonus falls into 2 categories- Likely to be earned (LTE) and NTLE ( Not likely)

Likely to be earned bonus would be things like making the roster, if it were a RB or WR maybe 250 Yards and 2 TDs or something like that. Something easilly attained. If that were the case, cap space needs to be cleared for that year. If a likely to be earned bonus is not attained- that cap space can be used next year.

In Jake Dellehomme's case, an "Unlikely to be earned" bonus migt be 2,000 yards or playoff incentives if he's a starter - since they shocked the world and pulled it off, those bonuses were earned and the cap hit goes into the following year.

Second question

They are not going to dump Bledsoe without a proven player to take his spot. If they even fancied the idea it would have been done a while ago.

Finally-

They would not cut the guy mid season. If it didn't happen in February- It won't happen until after next season.

Dozerdog
03-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Guys- He's not going anywhere in 2004. Get it out of your heads.

Mr. Cynical
03-15-2004, 10:48 PM
You're right....but it's so hard to accept. :cry:

helmetguy
03-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Guys- He's not going anywhere in 2004. Get it out of your heads.

Someone's gotta shoulder the blame if we don't run the table!

ShadowHawk7
03-16-2004, 12:35 AM
I'd rather go w/ Losman, Rivers, or even Smoker as our future starter, than Volek...

the dude
03-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fres/sports/m-footbl/99-00roster/p-volek.jpghttp://www.onlineathens.com/images/121899/volekLR.jpg
&lt;b&gt;Billy Volek&lt;/b&gt;

Fresno State: Returns for his senior season as the undisputed starter... honorable mention All-WAC Pacific Division selection in 1997 ... has good arm strength and a nice touch ... a tremendous athlete ... one of best assets is decision making ... gives Fresno State an added dimension because of his running ability.(1998) Finished \
http://gobulldogs.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/volek_billy00.html

one of best assets is decision making - now what about this statement reminds anybody of RJ????? Please let the Volek=RJ statements go ...

The_Philster
03-16-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Someone's gotta shoulder the blame if we don't run the table!

And it's all the QB's fault, right? Even if the WRs are running the wrong routes or the coordinator instructs him to run passing plays 99% of the time?

helmetguy
03-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
And it's all the QB's fault, right? Even if the WRs are running the wrong routes or the coordinator instructs him to run passing plays 99% of the time?

Oh, but of course!

justasportsfan
03-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i would say around what alex van pelt is making, Opiv I doubt that. Bills will need to pay him more or he goes somewhere else.