PDA

View Full Version : Pats in the market for Reuben Brown...

Ickybaluky
03-16-2004, 03:42 AM
According to the Boston Herald:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=678

It says:

"Former Bills guard Ruben Brown is on the Patriots' radar screen, but the Pats don't figure to set the market for the big lineman's services..."

They also have John Lynch coming in for a visit. If the Pats sign Lynch, it would open up the possibility they trade Ty Law as they could move Eugene Wilson back to CB.

Ickybaluky
03-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Another article,with a quote from his agent:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=63120

Says the following:

No visit has been scheduled at this time, but the Patriots have talked with representatives for free-agent offensive guard Ruben Brown.

"It's obviously a place Ruben would strongly consider," said Eric Metz,his agent. "He feels he has some good years left and would love a chance to win a ring."

The 6-foot-3, 304-pound Brown has played all nine years of his career with the Bills and has appeared in the last seven Pro Bowls. While free-agent guards like Damien Woody (Lions), Jeno James (Dolphins) and Chris Villarrial (Bills) were signed quickly, Brown's market hasn't been as hot. The Bengals were one team to reportedly express interest.

Belichick praised Brown at the end of the 2003 regular season, saying his high opinion of Brown was confirmed after coaching him in the 1998 Pro Bowl.

After the loss of Woody and Mike Compton (Jaguars), the Patriots could use a veteran interior lineman and Brown remains a possibility.

Tatonka
03-16-2004, 12:21 PM
i hope you pick him up.

MDFINFAN
03-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i hope you pick him up.

That's cold, but I do second the motion...

Novacane
03-16-2004, 12:28 PM
i hope you pick him up.

"Holding, #79 New England" Won't that be nice to hear!

Ebenezer
03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
i hope you pick him up.

Don't wish for things too hard...

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
"Holding, #79 New England" Won't that be nice to hear!

I believe we will be hearing 9 time All-Pro and future hall of famer.

pats-were-right
03-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Well of course he was part of that horrible offensive line that was the primary cause of Bedsoe's problems in '03 [eye roll]

Ickybaluky
03-16-2004, 01:17 PM
i hope you pick him up.

Thanks, me as well. Ruben would be a classic Pats pickup. He can be this year's Rodney Harrison.

Patrick76777
03-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Buffalo fans helped run this guy out of town. For some reason people decided that they know what makes a good O-linemen and when Ruben got into his 9th Pro-bowl, buffalo fans went nuts! You would think Ruben killed someone. The talk shows and even this board were filled with idiots who were all pissed off that one of our players went to the Pro-bowl. I guess it doesn't matter that the coaches and players count for about 2/3's of the pro bowl vote, those guys just don't know as much about O-line play as do the fans!

Ruben is a great player! Sure he's getting old but he can still get the job done and the scary thing is, he'll have something to prove! I hope this doesn't happen.

On a side note, he will get an offsides or a holding call per game!

TigerJ
03-16-2004, 01:36 PM
I think Ruben is still a pretty good lineman. Obviously, if he signs with the Patriots it won't be for as much as he was scheduled to make for Buffalo. Also obvious is the fact that the Bills and Ruben know each other very well, so I don't know if there is any advantage either way. While Ruben is probably overrated by the rest of the league and underrated by Buffalo fans, I think Chris Villarrial is a little closer to what the Bills need at this point in time. He doesn't have the pedigree that Brown has, but he's a little younger, a little bigger, and I think a little stronger. Over time Ruben Brown continues to have more trouble with both big monster DTs (the Ted Washingtons and Sam Adamses of the league) and quick pass rushers. If he has a strong cast around him (which Buffalo lacked) he won't be as vulnerable to the guys who have caused problems for him in the recent past.