PDA

View Full Version : Bills must be VERY INTERESTED in Billy Volek

Michael82
03-16-2004, 09:56 AM
The Bills, who also wrapped up a deal with free agent cornerback Troy Vincent yesterday, were a late entry in the negotiations for Volek, but they were serious enough to have contacted Staninger at least three times yesterday.

Attempts to reach Bills GM Tom Donahoe for comment yesterday were unsuccessful.

Volek's only career start was against the Bills last season. He threw for 295 yards and two touchdowns in a Tennessee victory but also suffered a lacerated spleen.

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/04/03/48412908.shtml?Element_ID=48412908

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-16-2004, 09:58 AM
TD must really not want a QB with that first pick!!!

Michael82
03-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
TD must really not want a QB with that first pick!!!

I totally agree. Or he just wants other options. The funny thing is...he could sign Volek and then still draft Rivers.

juice
03-16-2004, 10:03 AM
WR or DE in RD. 1... Then best QB available in the second.

Ebenezer
03-16-2004, 10:04 AM
This better not be Rob Johnson Redux.

fabolouspaul
03-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by juice
WR or DE in RD. 1... Then best QB available in the second.

MAn, I really do hope we get Udeze.

Novacane
03-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
This better not be Rob Johnson Redux.

We won't be giving up a #1 and #4 for him or a 25 million dollar contract. Can't even be compared to RJ.

Michael82
03-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
We won't be giving up a #1 and #4 for him or a 25 million dollar contract. Can't even be compared to RJ.

I totally agree!

Tatonka
03-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

that is like the 100th time i have seen that too..

/me sighs

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

that is like the 100th time i have seen that too..

* Tatonka sighs

100 times is an understatement. I am sick of hearing comparisons to Rob Johnson.

If that is the case, why don't we go pick up Steve Walsh. The last time we got a QB from Miami it worked out.

Lets draft the best WR at Kutztown State, that worked out last time.

Michael82
03-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Here's the thing...

Billy Volek COULD be the next Rob Johnson...

Ben Roethlisberger COULD be the next Rob Johnson...

Phillip Rivers COULD be the next Rob Johnson...

They all have POTENTIAL! You never know what you are going to get.

Jeff1220
03-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
Here's the thing...

Billy Volek COULD be the next Rob Johnson...

Ben Roethlisberger COULD be the next Rob Johnson...

Phillip Rivers COULD be the next Rob Johnson...

They all have POTENTIAL! You never know what you are going to get.

Quarterbacks are like a box of cho-co-lates.:insane:

Michael82
03-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220

:lol:

Forward_Lateral
03-16-2004, 12:22 PM
You guys are missing the point on comparing Volek to RJ. The point is, at least my point is, I hope TD doesn't give Volek anything more than backup $$$. I don't mind bringing Volek in, but he hasn't done a thing to prove he deserves anything more than a backup's salary. If by chance he sucks, we didn't waste a bunch of cash on him, if by chance he's the next Jim Kelly, then we give him more money. I think alot of fans just don't want to see Buffalo give this guy a huge contract, and for some reason they expect the Bills to do that. JMO

Dozerdog
03-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220

Too bad Kevin Gumpbride didn't get a chance to coach him!

venis2k1
03-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
You guys are missing the point on comparing Volek to RJ. The point is, at least my point is, I hope TD doesn't give Volek anything more than backup $$$. I don't mind bringing Volek in, but he hasn't done a thing to prove he deserves anything more than a backup's salary. If by chance he sucks, we didn't waste a bunch of cash on him, if by chance he's the next Jim Kelly, then we give him more money. I think alot of fans just don't want to see Buffalo give this guy a huge contract, and for some reason they expect the Bills to do that. JMO

name one player that TD has overpaid for on the bills(teague aside, but he was brought in to play LT) TD is not stupid, he will not blow our load on a bum.

Dozerdog
03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
:bf1:

Even Bledsoe was a deal. For a vet starter, he's making affordable money cap wise.

People might ***** about his subsequent performance and want to compare it to the salary in hindsight- but overall- under 6 mill is a deal

Forward_Lateral
03-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Again, Venis, you are missing the point. I didn't say I thought TD would do this, I said alot of fans are afraid of this happenening because of what happened with RJ. I agree that TD won't over-spend on a guy like Volek, unfortunately alot of fans don't have faith in TD and thus are worried about it.

Phinz
03-16-2004, 12:45 PM
It would be great if you guys got volek to be #2 IMO he could learn allot from Bledsoe.

Tatonka
03-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Phinz
It would be great if you guys got volek to be #2 IMO he could learn allot from Bledsoe.

just like dumbo could teach feelme.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-16-2004, 01:17 PM
And I am saying this:

Rob Johnson was arguably (not much aguing) the absolute worst pickup in Bills history. He came here and was a major flop. He was part of a QB controversy that divided Bills fans. He left this town and blasted the community in the media. He was very expensive to acquire. A first round and a fourth round, in a draft that included players available at 4 such as Takeo, Randy Moss, and shall I say Fred Taylor. Now of course that draft had it's misses. The Bills also gave him huge jack. It was a reason the salary cap would be shot in the next two years.

Now how fair is it to blast a kid, giving him what most fans consider the Bills anti-Christ, a label that he might be the next Rob Johnson. Sorry, there will never be another Rob Johnson. If the Bills sign Volek, it will be on their terms. It won't be a huge gamble like Johnson was. So stop insulting every QB that is an option thinking that he will be the next QB to flop in a league where QBs flop every year.

elltrain22
03-16-2004, 03:53 PM
I really like this pickup if it happens. I like Volek, and I think he is a very unsung guy who could be a good NFL qb.

Voltron
03-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Volek at least seems to have something under his helmet besides hair. RJ seemed dumb from day one. Volek has shown that he can improvise when he needs to and he tutored under one of the best QBs in the leage right now.

ScottLawrence
03-16-2004, 04:36 PM
If we sign Volek.... I think it pretty much opens up what we will do in the first round.

WR, DE, or DT.