• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thisiskeith12
    Bills Go-To Guy
    • Jul 2002

Thoughts on turf?

Hey, I'm a newbie here, but I know some of the fellas that run this place pretty well. I just did an article about artificial turf and here is the link:

Just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on turf and such. The article has a lot of good facts as well as strong opinions, and I can put up more links from sources if needed.
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly do anything dumber, you go and do something like this.... AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

I friggin hate turf! I have played on it and there is a considerable difference. I used to feel twice as worn out after those games.

What is funny is that yes turf is an advancement in technology, but advances in technology have also made is easier to maintain grass. There is no need for plastic grass.

If Chicago and Green Bay can maintain real grass, anyone can, and should!

Comment

• thisiskeith12
      Bills Go-To Guy
      • Jul 2002

I played one game on turf my ninth grade year, most receivers say they like it because it allows them to run faster, but as a receiver, I hated it.
      Just when I thought you couldn't possibly do anything dumber, you go and do something like this.... AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
        Expert on Experts
        • Jul 2002

turf is a horrible investment for owners. Sure, it sagves the money on upkeep and stuff, but the players they a paying millions for get hurt.

I see NO reason why owners should not put in the new 'artificial grass" stuff if they can't/don't want to deal with upkeep of real grass. The artificial grass is awesome, it plays like real grass, it is soft, and players wont get hurt. It's not all that expensive.

Get rid of turf!!

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

That new turf that Seattle plays on is supposedly the cats meow. Sadly, I doubt that we will see it anytime soon at RWS since the current turf is only a year or two old. The never ending rumors of us leaving Buffalo don't help the cause either.

Comment

• HenryRules
            • Jul 2002

On a somewhat related note, did you guys hear about one of the stadiums they used for the World Cup in Japan? The place is a dome but they can use real grass that is grown outside the arena and then moved into the dome for the game. After the game the real grass is moved back outside so that it can grow. I think it took like two hours for them to move the stuff into the stadium on game days. I can't remember the name of the stadium, but I think it was called the Sapparo Dome or something like that.

Comment

• WCoastFin
              I have the arms of a new born baby!
              • Jul 2002

Turf sucks, IMO.
              We wanna see you spit now!!!lets face it we suck.

Comment

• thisiskeith12
                Bills Go-To Guy
                • Jul 2002

Hey Henry, I heard about that! They have it floating off of the ground, really cool! Lots of $$$ though

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
                  • Jul 2002

As bad as it is to watch a football game on turf it is so much worse playing on it IMO. Baseball on turf, now that looks bad.
                  Its all about the quest.

Comment

• northernbillfan
                    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Grass is better for the legs. I agree with bf1, I played on both and I like grass much better.

Besides Turf smells funny when you smoke it.
                    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

i prefer grass.grass is more forgiving and the players won't get hurt so much.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Benjudah
                        Shinier than your mom
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by northernbillfan
                        Besides Turf smells funny when you smoke it.
                        HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Comment

• kgun12
                          • Jul 2002

Keith let me first say that I am a old fashion kind of guy and believe all outdoor sports should be played on grass, BUT you need to do your homework man. There are just as many serious injuries on grass as there is on turf. Dan Marino's injury was on grass at the old Cleveland field. Curtis Enis's Knee injury was on grass. There was a the running back from Philly, he was suppose to be thier starter this year that tore his MCL and ACL on grass this spring. Lets not forget the back from New England I think his name was Edwards that tore the ACL and MSL on a beach football game at the Pro Bowl. Yes the burns are worse and it is very hard on the body, but the serious injury factor to knees and other joints is about 50/50. I know this because of a High School Coaches Course I had to take for my certification. These numbers come right from the Bills trainning staff. Do some more research on this subject you might be surprised
                          Retired Air Traffic Controller
                          USAF VETERAN
                          DAV

Comment

• thisiskeith12
                            Bills Go-To Guy
                            • Jul 2002

There are injuries that come from grass, football is a contact sport and injuries are part of the game. But more definitely happen on artificial turf than true grass. Most of the NFL players, except for the St. Louis Rams, seem to think so as well. And sand has nothing to do with grass or turf.

Comment

• kgun12
                              • Jul 2002

Your wrong Keith, all those injuries I mentioned happened with NO contact. Mario was dropping back, the philly back was at Mini camp (no contact) NE RB was flag football. Oh by the way Beebe hurt his ACL or MCL last Sunday at the final showdown with Kelly ON GRASS NO CONTACT! Again do the research it is At least 50/50. AS far as you comment about the sand you make my point. The point of your article was major injuries on turf, I point out that other than burns the injuries to joints are the same.
                              Retired Air Traffic Controller
                              USAF VETERAN
                              DAV

Comment

Working...
                              X