PDA

View Full Version : whats so good about volek?

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 05:28 PM
its seems like a lot of you want him to come to the bills. i know he wont be a started, this year anyways, but im not convinced he will do us any good.

justasportsfan
03-16-2004, 05:31 PM
First of all, welcome.

I think he's a younger and more mobile Van Pelt w/ a better arm. I was listening to WNSA and some guy said that the Titans seem to think he has a stronger arm than McNair and that whenever Mcnair went down , they weren't worried with Volek coming in. Just like we were with Riech.

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
First of all, welcome.

I think he's a younger and more mobile Van Pelt.
Better than Van Pelt means nothing though.

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 05:38 PM
i would rather see a rookie OB come in from the draft and play behind Bledsoe. He might learn a thing or two. We need something, bledsoe isnt going to last much longer.

Dozerdog
03-16-2004, 05:44 PM
That may still happen TD has shown year after year that being stocked at a position doesn't mean he won't draft the best guy.

He drafted Reed when we has Price & Moulds, and McGahee last year after we re-signed Henry and got Gary

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 05:48 PM
true but doesnt that leave big holes in our other postitions. Personally i didnt like the McGahee signing. not becuase i dont like WG but because we had a great young RB in TH.

Tatonka
03-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i have no idea why you guys would say that... and it is obvious that you guys havent even taken the time to look into this kid just a little.

i will say this.. stats arent everything.. but they are a place to start..

so first -
volek played in 7 games last season..

now in the 2 losses.. he was basically the guy that kneeled out.. going 9 for 6, with 1 int and 0 tds in a 33-7 blowout in indy..and was literally the kneeler in the other game.. not throwing a single pass...

now look at the 5 games he played in more significantly..

1) they were all wins.. 5-0
2) he was 38 for 60 passing
3) only sacked 4 times in 5 games
4) 4 tds and ZERO ints
5) overall rating was 110.7
6) our number 2 defense was one of the teams he schooled.

second -
lets look at his size.. he is 6-2 and 217 lbs.. so size is not an issue at all.. age.. he is a little older than i would like, but he is 27 with 5 years of experience. jeff garcia just signed a new deal at age 34.. just for reference.. i can live with that.

third- he doesnt cost us a draft pick in an extremely deep draft.. and he wont cost anything close to what RJ cost.. so the RJ comparisons are nonexistent.. RJ cost us a fortune and some big picks.. the risk was a ton higher.. so get off that comparison, because it doesnt fit and just makes you look uniformed.. brett farve was mostly unproven when the falcons traded him too... so was steve young..

fourth - take a look at a tennesee board.. they are not happy about losing him.. not at all.. they all liked him.. not a single complaint about him... how can you complain about a guy that was 5-0 at the end of the day.. didnt turn the ball over and didnt take sacks?

fifth - he was a starter at fresno state.. while david carr watched from the bench... take a look at his stats.

2 year starter.. 33 tds, 9 ints total, on a bad team that didnt throw that much.

Finished second in the WAC in passing efficiency with a rating of 131.7

scouting report on him coming into the draft:

has good arm strength and a nice touch ... a tremendous athlete ... one of best assets is decision making ... gives Fresno State an added dimension because of his running ability

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/player/splits/2003/188108
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/188108
http://gobulldogs.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/volek_billy00.html

justasportsfan
03-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Fryin' The Fish
true but doesnt that leave big holes in our other postitions. Personally i didnt like the McGahee signing. not becuase i dont like WG but because we had a great young RB in TH. hopefully both will do great and we can trade one of them nest year when we havequite a few players that will be Fa's nest year.

mypoorfriendme
03-16-2004, 06:37 PM
if he was that great, heda been traded. volek is a very mediocre QB and would probably be like delhomme....not a game breaker by any means, but can still play consistently average.

whereas with drew, hes either terrible or awesome with little middle ground. im not saying volek is better or worse than drew overall, but its just assuring mediocrity at the QB position

mypoorfriendme
03-16-2004, 06:38 PM
and T, how can you say all that stuff about those 5 games that volek started and then its different when henson started 9?? :scratch:

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
and T, how can you say all that stuff about those 5 games that volek started and then its different when henson started 9?? :scratch:

im agreeing with him. 5 games doesnt prove much. volek and henson are both toss-ups. they have not proven anything and any team that gets them are taking a risk. but why not bring volek in behind bledsoe.

Dozerdog
03-16-2004, 06:49 PM

Volek's were last year, against NFL competition.

Henson's were in the previous millenium against some inferior college teams.

mypoorfriendme
03-16-2004, 06:58 PM
true...but still. you could argue that henson is still the same athlete and was playing as the same general competition as eli manning was last season etc. my point is neither has proven much and im hoping volek isnt brought here to be the eventual starter

Dozerdog
03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
true...but still. you could argue that henson is still the same athlete and was playing as the same general competition as eli manning was last season etc. my point is neither has proven much and im hoping volek isnt brought here to be the eventual starter

Manning played a hell of a lot more games that Henson did. Manning also has his dad and brother, as well as tons of cash behind him form the family to hire the best private coaches and trainers. He will be "Robo-QB"

Another thing- Volek as played a full season in NFL Europe, and has 12 preseason games under his belt. This isn't a rube they just pulled off the street.

Henson was shagging grounders the past 3 seasons. Henson might be something- but Like Coy Wire- will have a number of years to add to the learning curve.

Buffalo is not in the position to take the risks on the field and financially. Let someone else guarantee him millions

Tatonka
03-16-2004, 07:59 PM
volek is a very mediocre QB

how can you remotely make that assumption? based on what? it is not his play so far in the nfl...

i was gonna answer this.. but see post below..

Originally posted by Dozerdog
Volek's were last year, against NFL competition.

Henson's were in the previous millenium against some inferior college teams.

correct.

bernielivsey_1
03-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Volek will be 28 soon so its a tough thing to expect he is our future. I still want a rook to develop over the next 2 years. But Im ok with Drew this year, Volek next and the rook the next. If Volek can handle the start.