PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Football or Madden?

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 06:27 PM
for all you gamers out there. Whats your preference.

mypoorfriendme
03-16-2004, 06:30 PM
ive tried and tried....but nothing will ever beat madden....ever. the only exception is the gameday series on playstation but that is IT. on the new systems, nothing even comes close. madden franchise mode is simply the best thing ever

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
ive tried and tried....but nothing will ever beat madden....ever. the only exception is the gameday series on playstation but that is IT. on the new systems, nothing even comes close. madden franchise mode is simply the best thing ever

GAMEDAY? :lol!: that game is terrible. madden franchise is the best though. but i like the game play of ESPN football better.

kardshark19
03-16-2004, 06:37 PM
MADDEN all the way!

qcsabresfan84
03-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Nothing can even compare to Madden. It's unbeatable.

BAM
03-16-2004, 06:42 PM
Madden :up: :up:

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 06:43 PM
come on. does anyone here like ESPN football. I got both, so i can judge. i think that maddens franchise is unbeatable. but the game play on ESPN football, and the graphics are way better.

Philagape
03-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Madden. But then again, it's my only choice since I use a PC

mypoorfriendme
03-16-2004, 07:01 PM
game day '96 is legit back off
:2guns:

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 07:02 PM
game day '96 is legit back off
:2guns:

:lol: ok but it was good BACK THEN. the new Gameday games dont even come close to being in the same sentence as Madden and ESPN football.

Stewie
03-16-2004, 07:20 PM
I hate the fact that to speed burst in ESPN you need to keep hitting the turbo button. That's counterintuitive to me.

Also, ESPN does not have anything comparable to playmaker control.

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by paulB
I hate the fact that to speed burst in ESPN you need to keep hitting the turbo button. That's counterintuitive to me.

Also, ESPN does not have anything comparable to playmaker control.

dont start with the playmaker control. thats all i heard for so long. playmaker control isnt that good. i used it, but it never seemed to help me that much. playmaker control is just a little added bonus, without it, the game wont be changed.

thenry20
03-16-2004, 08:03 PM

I totally agree with you bro! I have both franchises. Madden is better though if played on a PC!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-16-2004, 08:20 PM
MADDEN is the greatest NFL PC, Playstation, X-Box game out there and it just keeps getting better and better every yr. but I turn off Madden and Michaels and I pretend I'm Van Miller that's one thing I can't do anymore now that Van Miller is retired.

Iehoshua
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I am a long time Madden fan, but ESPN 2K4(aka NFL 2K) won me over slightly this year, as I played it a bit more than Madden, possibly for a change of pace. In the past the Sega 2K franchise seemed too buggy for me, dropping every pass if you're hit, breaking into the open field and running 50 yards only to be taken down at the 2 yard line by.... a defensive tackle. Those quirks were gone with the latest edition however. I'll probably buy both again. To me they're both A+. Madden's only fault is the engine may be getting a bit tired after 4 years, but there are usually slight upgrades to keep it fresh.

BillsFever
03-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Madden all the way. Can you even play them other football games online? Who the funk wants to play against the computer.

bills_7
03-16-2004, 09:24 PM
theres no competition madden is better by far!!!

mikemac2001
03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Look at my link in my SIG i love my madden I will beat anyone any day, came in 5th in the madden challange i will win that **** next year, any local Rochester guys looking to learn some tricks and maybe even go to some of the challanges next year mikemac2001@yahoo.com is my e-mail. www.maddenchallenge.com Pittsburgh winner. Lost on a mike vick fumble

it should be even bigger next year.

realmendontwearteal
03-16-2004, 09:54 PM
madden football is the better football game

ShadowHawk7
03-16-2004, 10:00 PM
ESPN ESPN ESPN!!! I love that game, and i'd skool ne of u at it! Madden jus gets plain boring! ESPN had gameplay down easily! Madden does kill in the franchise mode tho...

mikemac2001
03-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Espn does have its upside but i feel madden blows it away

Stewie
03-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Fryin' The Fish

dont start with the playmaker control. thats all i heard for so long. playmaker control isnt that good. i used it, but it never seemed to help me that much. playmaker control is just a little added bonus, without it, the game wont be changed.

No offense, but if it didn't help you that much, you weren't doing it right...

Kolbiss
03-16-2004, 10:20 PM
i have only played madden, so i will ignorantly say it is the best!!! most EA Sports games are top notch!

BillsFever
03-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by mikemac2001
Look at my link in my SIG i love my madden I will beat anyone any day, came in 5th in the madden challange i will win that **** next year, any local Rochester guys looking to learn some tricks and maybe even go to some of the challanges next year mikemac2001@yahoo.com is my e-mail. www.maddenchallenge.com Pittsburgh winner. Lost on a mike vick fumble

it should be even bigger next year.

When you say tricks that isn't just a different word for cheese playing is it? A lot of people can do pretty good with cheesing and abusing the games AI features.

BillsFever
03-16-2004, 10:38 PM
While we're on the Madden subject, I'm gonna be having a 32 team league starting in about a month. They are very strict rules and no cheesing or glitching will be allowed.

If you fall under this category and would be interested in joining shoot me a PM and I'll give ya a tryout game.

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
Madden all the way. Can you even play them other football games online? Who the funk wants to play against the computer.

you can play ESPN Football on Xbox Live.

mikemac2001
03-16-2004, 11:10 PM
No i dont cheese im actually one of the starter of the madden challange players. i do run 5 wide but i dont use most of the glitches i can be stopped but the way i play i adapt during the play so i create my oppurtunites. i dont use nano's on d just straight up. Ive played by rules and will always play with rules. i know tricks methods i use to help my game.

BillsFever
03-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Don't use most of the glitches? Shouldn't be using any.

I'm just curious. What kind of tricks are these? Please explain. If they're not cheese tricks then I'd like to add them to my game.

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Don't use most of the glitches? Shouldn't be using any.

I'm just curious. What kind of tricks are these? Please explain. If they're not cheese tricks then I'd like to add them to my game.

glitches? i would like to know these also.

BillsFever
03-16-2004, 11:30 PM
glitches? i would like to know these also.

There are a lot of glitches in the game. One of them is when someone sends a player in motion and snaps the ball before they stop it throws off the defense AI.

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 11:32 PM

There are a lot of glitches in the game. One of them is when someone sends a player in motion and snaps the ball before they stop it throws off the defense AI.

thats not really a glitch. thats more of a stradegy.

mikemac2001
Well im saying like if your playing someone who passes alot come out in a qtrs D aud down so you have more speed out there. or on offense come out with speed and aud down to a bigger set and create mismatches. just simple stuff like that. Glitches like the motion glitch make man defense look stupid, i dont use stuff like that, i know little ones like the onside and motion and i can flip any route

BAM
Anyone played Streets? it's a nice change of pace Ive been beating up on the Pats a lot lately, but Madden's still my shiznit. :up:

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by BAM
Anyone played Streets? it's a nice change of pace Ive been beating up on the Pats a lot lately, but Madden's still my shiznit. :up:

im not a big fan of streets. first off i think the graphics suck so much. plus it gets old really quick.

mikemac2001
03-16-2004, 11:35 PM
there is a motion glitch i dont wanna really say all the glitches bc then people will use it. I honestly dont, people might think how i play is wrong but it can be stopped. like i know a few where your players will actually think its a run when your passing they all run at QB.....but sometimes you can glitch yourself out and make the snap go over your head (happen to the top ranked guy at the Madden challange). Then jetpacking which isnt really a glitch just a trick and blocking fg's and simple stuff like that

BillsFever
03-16-2004, 11:44 PM
thats not really a glitch. thats more of a stradegy.

Actually it's called cheese. It's not allowed in the leagues I play in.

Well im saying like if your playing someone who passes alot come out in a qtrs D aud down so you have more speed out there. or on offense come out with speed and aud down to a bigger set and create mismatches. just simple stuff like that. Glitches like the motion glitch make man defense look stupid, i dont use stuff like that, i know little ones like the onside and motion and i can flip any route

Yep, that's called cheese too and isn't allowed in any of the leagues I've played in.

There is no audibling down in the leagues I play in. Anything that's gonna put WR's at the TE or FB position, ect. It's not very hard to score big when you do that and have a LB trying to cover Randle El or whoever it may be.

Where I come from, we play a realistic game of Madden. Not a bunch of crap to beat flaws in the game. If you can't pick a play and come out and run it successfully without messing with flaws in the game then you don't play in the leagues I'm from.

We strive to beat our opponents from our player skills, not who has the best skills at finding flaws in the game. To each his own I guess.

If any of that stuff was done in the leagues I play the player wouldn't last past Week 2 of the season.

Do you see teams in a real NFL game coming out in 5 wide then audibling down to an I formation? How about coming out in a Quarter passing defense and as soon as they jump out on the field change into a 4-3 or 4-6? Nope didn't think so. We like a realistic game.

BAM
03-16-2004, 11:45 PM
i don't need those cheats I can win without them

(500 ZBs if ya tell me) :D

:jk:

mypoorfriendme
03-16-2004, 11:45 PM
ive played probably about 40 seasons in different maddens and still dont know the simple stuff like "jetpacking" id take on anyone in madden and even if i wanted to cheat i couldnt.

BillsFever
03-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey BAM, do you have Madden Online?

BAM
03-16-2004, 11:55 PM
no i don't BillsFever. i'd like to get it here soon though.

i have Madden just not the network hookup

BillsFever
03-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BAM
no i don't BillsFever. i'd like to get it here soon though

You don't know what you're missing.

BAM
03-17-2004, 12:01 AM

You don't know what you're missing.

yah i know... i have played online many times @ my friend's house. ya know what pisses me off though? damn people that quit in the middle of the games.

hey i'll get his name so I can watch ya beat his ass sometime. it's hilarious every time i beat him he ends up breaking something, usually a controller. he has a real bad temper when it comes to Madden... haha

anyways, he uses the Chargers so you'd have no trouble.

BAM
03-17-2004, 12:01 AM
and he sucks :up:

BillsFever
03-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by BAM
yah i know... i have played online many times @ my friend's house. ya know what pisses me off though? damn people that quit in the middle of the games.

hey i'll get his name so I can watch ya beat his ass sometime. it's hilarious every time i beat him he ends up breaking something, usually a controller. he has a real bad temper when it comes to Madden... haha

anyways, he uses the Chargers so you'd have no trouble.

I don't have to worry about quitters online. I'm in an exclusive club online that's pure straight realistic football. If you try any of that junk listed above or quit during games then you're simply not allowed back in. You have to play 4 tryout games with other members and prove your realism before you can even sniff the room.

I have a few friends like your friend also. I'll be up about 42-0 at halftime and they surrender to me. I've picked them off 9+ times in a game at times.

I'm not great but I'm pretty damn good. I could be great though if I did that junk listed above. It just isn't for me though.

IHateTheDullphins
03-17-2004, 12:08 AM

you can play ESPN Football on Xbox Live.

:bf1: Bottom line. Espn is online. Better game based soley on that fact.

mikemac2001
03-17-2004, 12:17 AM
ive played online In leagues with plenty of rules i know what cheese is, Auding down isnt cheese its getting a speed team on the field. Billsfever you seem like the type of player who doesnt want to adapt and learn how to stop someone with your D and light up someone with your O. im not cheese everything i do doesnt affect AI. I run 5 wide all day, ok it might not be the most realistic thing but hey it can be stopped so how can that be cheese just because you dont know it doesnt make it cheese. its not like im putting shocky at WR and lobbing everything up to him and even in triple he gets it thats what shadey unskilled players do. i use falcons is that cheese also, (i agree vick has to high of speed) but youd probally not play me online bc of that reason but i rarely run with vick i just use his speed to avoid Those Turbo DE's, i respect you like the straight up style just dont say everything is cheese.

BillsFever
03-17-2004, 12:22 AM
ive played online In leagues with plenty of rules i know what cheese is, Auding down isnt cheese its getting a speed team on the field. Billsfever you seem like the type of player who doesnt want to adapt and learn how to stop someone with your D and light up someone with your O. im not cheese everything i do doesnt affect AI. I run 5 wide all day, ok it might not be the most realistic thing but hey it can be stopped so how can that be cheese just because you dont know it doesnt make it cheese. its not like im putting shocky at WR and lobbing everything up to him and even in triple he gets it thats what shadey unskilled players do. i use falcons is that cheese also, (i agree vick has to high of speed) but youd probally not play me online bc of that reason but i rarely run with vick i just use his speed to avoid Those Turbo DE's, i respect you like the straight up style just dont say everything is cheese.

All of the stuff you listed above is nothing new to me. I've heard all of that and have even used it for fun and I consider it cheese. Hell if I come out with 5 wide and audible around to put Randle El at the TE or FB spot, Burress at the other spot, ect.. I can score a TD every drive with 5 plays or under. It's not very difficult.

IHateTheDullphins
03-17-2004, 12:25 AM

Hell if I come out with 5 wide and audible around to put Randle El at the TE or FB spot, Burress at the other spot, ect.. I can score a TD every drive with 5 plays or under. It's not very difficult.

wow. what's stopping you from the championship. you're amazing. :z:

mikemac2001
03-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Nah see if he ran that on a skilled player who can adapt it wouldnt work, he can run that crap on people who have to play by rules. that be shut down right away

mikemac2001
03-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Anytime you want some Tell me Ill play run that on me to and see how much you score

BillsFever
03-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Nah see if he ran that on a skilled player who can adapt it wouldnt work, he can run that crap on people who have to play by rules. that be shut down right away

Well cheesers are usually pretty keen on cutting the cheese so they might have a pretty good idea on what to do against other cheesers.

That's why we play with rules so you don't get some bozo who can't pick a play and come out and run it successfully without a bunch of other bogus factors involved.

There are around a hundred different plays to choose from in any given playbook. There should be no reason why you can't find plays to come out and run normally without having to audible or motion around to put superhuman fast WR's in TE/FB/RB slots to create mismatches.

Anytime you want some Tell me Ill play run that on me to and see how much you score

Nah I'd rather not. That isn't the type of game for me and many others. Now if you ever wanna play a realistic game of football without all that other crap involved then I would probably be up for a game sometime.

To each his own I guess. That's why there are leagues and different rooms online to prevent stuff like that. There are more people who don't wanna play like that then there is who does.

Mostly, if someone doesn't have a problem with crap like that it's because they use it themselves.

I'm not trying to tell you how to play the game. You paid your $60 for it and it's your choice to play it the way you wish. That's why there are realistic leagues and rooms specifically to get away from that stuff. That kind of play is what the East/West rooms are for.

Some like to play realistic type of football and some like to play anything goes arcade type of football. I choose the realistic type of football.

BillsFever
03-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Oh and I guess all these guys are just inferior players now too? Even the same one I've met in my exclusive club that plays straight as a whistle and can light anyone up with it? The same guy that finished 3rd in a Madden Championship before who only plays that type of style when Madden Championships come around because he knows everyone else will?

It was funny one time. He had a Madden Challenge coming up in a couple weeks so he said he needed to start practicing his cheese playing again to get ready for the annual "Cheese Fest"(That was his name for it) that would be coming up in a couple weeks.

Hmm, the same guy who finished 3rd in a Madden Challenge doesn't play that style outside of the challenges. I guess he must just be an inferior player to not care for that type of style.

mikemac2001
03-17-2004, 12:57 AM
i can play anyway you want me to, i dont ***** about the style people play i dont care how they play. i dont back down from any game any style any rules. You tell me the rules i will follow it you want realistic 1 to 1 ratio pass and run ill give that to you. mikemac2001@yahoo.com anytime man any rules ill play

BillsFever
03-17-2004, 01:12 AM
i can play anyway you want me to, i dont ***** about the style people play

Well with that style of play listed above I don't see how anyone could be in the position to ***** about another players style of play. It's doesn't get much worse then that.

IHateTheDullphins
03-17-2004, 01:15 AM

Well with that style of play listed above I don't see how anyone could be in the position to ***** about another players style of play. It's doesn't get much worse then that.

honestly. where do you come up with this ****? :cynic:

BillsFever
03-17-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins
honestly. where do you come up with this ****? :cynic:

With a little bit of help from the thousands of other players from realistic style of playing leagues and websites.

IHateTheDullphins
03-17-2004, 01:27 AM
:blah: this song and dance is old. do you really think you are the only person on this board who plays fair, realistic ball? get a hold of yourself. :cynic:

BillsFever
03-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins
:blah: this song and dance is old. do you really think you are the only person on this board who plays fair, realistic ball? get a hold of yourself. :cynic:

Did I ever say that? You asked me where I came up with that **** and I told ya. I'm sure there are many more who does.

Stewie
03-17-2004, 05:11 AM

As far as I'm concerned, what you describe as glitching I describe as football. Since when is creating mismatches not what football teams strive to do?

Besides, if you're good enough on defense, you can stop anything.

Stewie
03-17-2004, 05:17 AM

Actually it's called cheese. It's not allowed in the leagues I play in.

Yep, that's called cheese too and isn't allowed in any of the leagues I've played in.

There is no audibling down in the leagues I play in. Anything that's gonna put WR's at the TE or FB position, ect. It's not very hard to score big when you do that and have a LB trying to cover Randle El or whoever it may be.

Where I come from, we play a realistic game of Madden. Not a bunch of crap to beat flaws in the game. If you can't pick a play and come out and run it successfully without messing with flaws in the game then you don't play in the leagues I'm from.

We strive to beat our opponents from our player skills, not who has the best skills at finding flaws in the game. To each his own I guess.

If any of that stuff was done in the leagues I play the player wouldn't last past Week 2 of the season.

Do you see teams in a real NFL game coming out in 5 wide then audibling down to an I formation? How about coming out in a Quarter passing defense and as soon as they jump out on the field change into a 4-3 or 4-6? Nope didn't think so. We like a realistic game.

Gotta disagree here. The whole point is that you gotta learn the game, inside and out. That includes other players ability to manipulate the game, and your ability to stop it.

I'll say it again: if you're good at defense, you should be able to stop anybody at least 2 or 3 times over the course of the game.

Also, that comment about the real NFL is worthless. Teams in the NFL do not need to call a play in a certain formation and then audible down. They can send any number of packages in, they are not limited by how the game presents the formations. (eg: they can send a guy like Marshall Faulk lined up as a flanker).

Audibling down is just another way of getting different guys on the field. If guys audible down from a quarters D, you should be able to run all over them.

Lefty2985
03-17-2004, 05:33 AM
Madden by far.... I play that game all the time and i just love it!!!!

wbat27
03-17-2004, 06:35 AM
madden is the best football game hands down I play it untill the new one comes out. There is no other game I have ever done that with. Bills win alot when I play

Billz_fan
03-17-2004, 06:36 AM
Madden :up:

WNYnut
03-17-2004, 07:05 AM
Madden hands down, no contest!

realmendontwearteal
03-17-2004, 07:51 AM
madden football: better game play better options than espn football

mikemac2001
03-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Billsfever is right there is realistic play and cheese play, he is a little to tight on the cheese part. i like playing realistic but when money is on the line HELL YA im gonna bring the house, and even when i did it may not be the most realistic but its not cheese. SOme players have those blitz's that the DT gets in right away like 1 sec to pass its a ***** but you gotta counter that somehow.

Like i said anytime u want a realistic one ill show you Cheese aint even a factor

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Madden!!

fabolouspaul
03-17-2004, 12:44 PM
ESPN Football on Xbox live! I played Madden from 93-99. The 2k series from 1999-2004. I try out each game every year and the 2k series is just more fun compared to Madden IMO. The 2k series has the best graphics and gameplayby far! Madden owns in franchise mode

Marvelous
03-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Madden hands down.
I've been down with Madden since 92. only missing 98 for PS1.
Diehard franchise player here, and sometimes online.

Some Madden flaws
1- the correct stats for players. example-Winfield has a high catching stat, and his tackling is the same as clements and average amongst most CB's..

2 -Owner Mode- Um what the hell. I have no clue what to set prices at. YEAH i know the green arrows are good Red is bad but even at 11-0 If i raise the prices to the max green fans still dont show sometimes. They gave us a whole new feature and didn't give very good instructions on it..

3- Trade block- what difference does it make to me if Warren Sapp is on the bucs trading block? If wanted him i would have traded to get him already. Maybe i haven't figured out how the trading block works with other teams yet but i do like when you can shop your player.

4- mini camps That damn INT,Pocket awareness, drive me nuts. there should be a better way to use QB mobility , and the same with CB's/DB's..

5- the whole Draft sucks butt! Again i'm not a hater but i have been playing madden so long and the offseason for me is pure joy after a long season. I scout but there breakdowns dont tell the players rating to well. example the player is fast as a greased cheetah. he will be a 97 speed but only a 82 acceleration...
The draft system could use a overhaul. i liked the old way better where you just see the players ranking/stats..

A few years back (99) they had the computer offering yopu player trades in the offseason. i liked that feature. Teams where making soem blockbuster deals. EA should bring that back and give you a on/off option for it..

The music- The rap seems very gangsta . But i can turn off the ghetto stuff :-) :-).

Overall Madden is my choice and has been. Owner mode has alot of potential. As a GM we should have more control or options ETC..
Thumbs up to EA

Gunzlingr
03-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Front Page Sports Football Pro :up:

Marino13Phins
03-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Madden, no contest.

Fryin' The Fish
03-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Williams34Phins
Madden, no contest.

you dont count, fish fan :lol!:

BiLLSRuLE
03-17-2004, 07:35 PM
no doubt its espn this year, madden was the best til this year though.

mikedd74
03-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Tecmo Bowl lol

mikemac2001
03-18-2004, 11:51 AM
gotta love tecmo super bowl, running zig zag all the way down the field But you know thats cheese play right? haha Bombs to lofton and reed loved that game

Stewie
03-18-2004, 01:24 PM
LT was unstoppable in that game

WCoastFin
03-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Madden....hands down.