PDA

View Full Version : Volek signing should lead to bills drafting qb in later rds

Bmax
03-16-2004, 06:40 PM
The release of Alex van pelt should open up the door to the bills signing Vet qb Billy Volek.

VOLEK WHO DOES NOT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE WOULD BE A DECENT BACK UP SHOULD BLEDSOE GET HURT OR FALTER AGAIN THIS SEASON.

With volek here there would be no need to draft a high priced 1st rd qb..... The bills then could draft the wr that alot of fans want.

With vincent signed and volek possibly on the way the bills have fewer holes they need to fill .

1. Wr
2.De
3.qb-Ol
4. Te
5. Fs

In rd 1 we should be able to select either reggie williams or Micheal clayton at wr or Will smith at de. The only ol who might be possible is mammoth ot shane andrews.

In rd two you could go after qb jp losman, Ben watson te, de marquis hill lsu, or og chris snee- Bc..

There a lot of options for the bills...we should get the best player at 13 which will be a wr unless rothesberger is there then you got a decesion to make if volek is signed. I would trade down if volek is a bill and rothesberger becomes available

We could get extra picks and still get a quality wr or player in the 20's.......

The qb i see the bills drafting is either Matt shaub or jeff smoker in the later rounds a guy who could develope while volek runs the ship after bledsow leaves. Josh harris would be a long shot but in the fifth rd on day 2 he would be a good choice...

Bmax

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 06:45 PM
you can take FS off the list. We got Wire to fill that position and he will be great (hopefully). i hope they still draft a young OB first round and maybe a WR 2nd round, or a DE.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Fryin' The Fish
you can take FS off the list. We got Wire to fill that position and he will be great (hopefully). i hope they still draft a young OB first round and maybe a WR 2nd round, or a DE.

Sorry to burst that bubble but I don't see a QB taken by the Bills in the first round. There are a few reasons. The first is that this team has other needs. They need a player that is going to be on the field from day one. Another reason is if the Bills pick up Volek and even a QB in the later rounds and they don't cut it, well that doesn't hurt them very much financially. Now if they draft a QB in the first round and he doesn't work out, the Bills are on the hook for a lot of wasted cap space on a first round QB.

There is a huge factor that needs to be taken into account and that is risk/reward. The price of guys in this league is very important.

Mr. Cynical
03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
We need a future QB. Volek may end up to be that person (although its doubtful), but we need insurance by drafting a solid prospect. I've had enough of the revolving door of crap going in and out of the QB position here since Kelly left.

Tatonka
03-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by kal123
We need a future QB. Volek may end up to be that person (although its doubtful), but we need insurance by drafting a solid prospect. I've had enough of the revolving door of crap going in and out of the QB position here since Kelly left.

who says that we cant draft a qb next year?

SABURZFAN
03-16-2004, 08:07 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if we draft a QB early in this draft.

ArcticWildMan
03-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Trade down and grab Rivers later in the 1st round.

Bmax
03-16-2004, 09:44 PM
If volek is here i don't see us drafting rivers..............

BMAX

TigerJ
03-16-2004, 10:19 PM
I agree that if Volek is signed a first day draft pick for a QB won't happen. There may be no QB drafted, though I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Throne Logic
03-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Here's what I see, assuming Volek comes to Buffalo. Volek may be saying "not enough money, blah blah", however, we have no idea how much we're talking about. It's probably not very much.

Drew gets reworked to remain the starter, Volek gets # 2 spot, draft a QB to take the #3 and teach.

Next season, the draftee gets a shot to compete with Bledsoe and Volek for the starting spot. Bledsoe most likely won't be on the 2005 roster if he doesn't win that battle.