PDA

View Full Version : Sean Taylor slipping

The Spaz
03-16-2004, 10:54 PM
From TSN:

TAYLOR SLIPPING

Safety Sean Taylor's stock is dropping, according to NFL coaches who watched him workout recently on campus at Miami (Fla.). The coaches also have studied film of Taylor and say he misses too many tackles, takes hits instead of delivering them and doesn't play anywhere near as big as he should.

I like Wire but if Taylor is there you absolutely have to draft him no and's if's or butt's about it.:up::beer:

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 10:58 PM
i think that wire and milloy have it covered. i think there is different positions that we need to think about first.

The Spaz
03-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Fryin' The Fish
i think that wire and milloy have it covered. i think there is different positions that we need to think about first.

I don't think you can pass up a playmaker like Taylor. You probably have seen what premier safeties can do in Roy Williams and Ed Reed. Unless another big time player is available at #13 it's a no-brainer.:up::beer:

http://www.ncaafootball.net/images/miami_seantaylor_200w_ap_010303.jpg
<b>Sean Taylor</b>

ShadowHawk7
03-16-2004, 11:05 PM
i duno... if the guy can't tackle...

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 11:06 PM
you never know how he will perform in the NFL. we've all seen that a great college player and come into the NFL and be a complete flop.

The Spaz
03-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7

He can tackle he's aggressive so maybe he takes bad angles some times but that can be coached his playmaking ability is unreal he averaged about an INT every game this year. 6-3 220 or so you just can't go wrong.

The Spaz
03-16-2004, 11:09 PM
you never know how he will perform in the NFL. we've all seen that a great college player and come into the NFL and be a complete flop.

Sure can we can say that about every player in the upcoming draft but no one would fault the selection of Taylor if he fell to 13.

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

He can tackle he's aggressive so maybe he takes bad angles some times but that can be coached is playmakin ability is unreal he averaged about an INT every game this year. 6-3 220 or so you just can't go wrong.

whoa.....an INT every game.....maybe he will be worth it. but i really like wire at the FS position. if he taylor does come in what will he play.

The Spaz
03-16-2004, 11:11 PM

whoa.....an INT every game.....maybe he will be worth it. but i really like wire at the FS position. if he taylor does come in what will he play.

Like I have stated I like Wire but if we select Taylor Wire will find himself on the bench again.

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 11:12 PM
:lol: sad but true

BADTHINGSMAN
03-16-2004, 11:19 PM
It would be a nice pick up but I cant see it happening.. Wire and Milloy are starters.. Not even as a nickelback for time being..

Buffalo has needs to fill like at WR and DE.. IMHO Id like to see Will Smith if he is available at #13 then Micheal Jenkins at round 2..

The Spaz
03-16-2004, 11:22 PM
No on Will Smith or Udeze unless we aren't willing to resign Schobel next season.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Its impossible to say what TD will do on draft day.. TD had a great draft then last year he bombed.. Hopefully he is back on track..

The good news is I havent read about any injured players in the draft... :rofl:

Fryin' The Fish
03-16-2004, 11:29 PM
:lol:

mypoorfriendme
03-16-2004, 11:34 PM
first off, we read one article and now wire is going to start at FS and play just as well as he did at strong? i doubt it. if taylor drops to 13 and we dont get him, i am no longer a bills fan. also i dont see why the year befores draft was any better than last years. mike williams is about all we have to show for both years and he isnt nearly what he shuold be. neither drafts have had time to produce, so its still too early to tell

BADTHINGSMAN
03-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Last years draft was horrible.. The only player that did anything last year was McGee.. Last years draft did nothing to help last years Bills team, thats what Im saying..

This draft being so stocked there isnt a whole lot to mess up..

Im not saying I wouldnt want Taylor if he falls to #13.. Just if it happens then he better start and not on ST..

mypoorfriendme
03-17-2004, 12:50 AM
but you also cant forget three of our picks were injured (willis sobieski and aiken), kelsay was DE so it will take him a little to develop, and pretty much everyone else was there for depth and special teams

the dude
03-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Man I don't care if Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson in their primes were our safeties - we don't pass up a Sean Taylor picking outside the top 5.

If these "rumblings" of inadequacy are true, I'll bet they are the usual fodder to downplay a player that a bunch of teams actually covet. No less a defensive guru than Bill Belichek called Taylor the best player in the draft - that's good enough for me.

B-DON
03-17-2004, 02:13 AM
if taylor falls then we must get him. i love wire but bye bye if we draft taylor. plus having taylor as a rookie wiil definetly be at least 3 picks probably 90% chance he will have at least 5. trust me im an FSu football fan and taylor killed us twice this year though greg jones did run him over pretty bad but i think greg jones is the best back in the draft and will be doing this to dt's and de's pretty soon

Stewie
03-17-2004, 05:49 AM

He can tackle he's aggressive so maybe he takes bad angles some times but that can be coached his playmaking ability is unreal he averaged about an INT every game this year. 6-3 220 or so you just can't go wrong.

:rolleyes:

Dude you're so right. We've been going at this all wrong. What we should be doing is going for the tallest team ever. Who needs talent when you're 7 feet tall?? We should just draft high school basketball players to play WR and DB. 7' and 250 or so you just cant go wrong.

Dozerdog
03-17-2004, 06:04 AM
Sean Taylor, Tommie Harris, Big Ben, Wilfork, Andrews- any of those guys fall I'd love to scooop them up

Tatonka
03-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7

rofl... cant tackle.. that is absurd... seriously.. dont even consider that for a second... he can tackle fine.

Originally posted by the dude
Man I don't care if Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson in their primes were our safeties - we don't pass up a Sean Taylor picking outside the top 5.

If these "rumblings" of inadequacy are true, I'll bet they are the usual fodder to downplay a player that a bunch of teams actually covet. No less a defensive guru than Bill Belichek called Taylor the best player in the draft - that's good enough for me.

i guess i am pretty much in the same boat..

it would be gut wrenching for taylor to still be there.. but i dont think he will get past the jets for sure... but regardless.. if he is sitting there.. you have to take him.. even though that would mean that wire would ride the pine for one more year, then you cut milloy and wire goes back to SS.

tough call though... there would have to be some interesting offers to move up and get him, i am sure of that..

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-17-2004, 07:50 AM
I would take him in a second. He is a great player.

The Spaz
03-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by paulB

:rolleyes:

Dude you're so right. We've been going at this all wrong. What we should be doing is going for the tallest team ever. Who needs talent when you're 7 feet tall?? We should just draft high school basketball players to play WR and DB. 7' and 250 or so you just cant go wrong.

Who the **** emphasized his height I was just stating that he is that tall. Go take a rolaid and chill.

Tatonka
03-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Who the **** emphasized his height I was just stating that he is that tall. Go take a rolaid and chill.

i saw that too.. i didnt get the impression that you were saying, hey! he is 6-3, so go get him!!

guess paulb did though..lol

The Spaz
03-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i saw that too.. i didnt get the impression that you were saying, hey! he is 6-3, so go get him!!

guess paulb did though..lol

I wasn't and thanks for understanding.:biggrin:

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Taylor will not fall to 13. Pretty much every team from 5-12 would love to have him. This article is just saying he might get past Detroit but won't get to 13.
:(
But still praying :pray:

Bulldog
03-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by silent_one
Last years draft was horrible.. The only player that did anything last year was McGee.. Last years draft did nothing to help last years Bills team, thats what Im saying..

This draft being so stocked there isnt a whole lot to mess up..

Im not saying I wouldnt want Taylor if he falls to #13.. Just if it happens then he better start and not on ST..

Yeah, because grading a draft after one year is always a good idea.

Tatonka
03-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
Yeah, because grading a draft after one year is always a good idea.

do i sense a pinch of sarcasm?

:D

Voltron
03-17-2004, 09:01 AM
It comes down to the fact that everything these people complained about can be fixed. Any NFL position coach worth a can of beans can teach all the tings that this guy is not doing right. The fact is he is a playmaker, he has talent, and if he does slip to 13 it is hard to pass him up. You can't coach someone to have more talent!

Tatonka
03-17-2004, 09:04 AM
i think it is a bunch of crap..

they said that shula was the one that spread the "marino is a cocaine user" rumor around before the draft.. so he would fall to him..

hmmm

wonder if MM has been on the phone?

Bmax
03-17-2004, 10:58 AM
It's a smoke screen some scout is putting it out there so his team could get him to fall to them...Oldest trick in the scouting book....

I smell a rat .. Taylor is by all accounts a top 5 to 10 pick no way he gets by clevland or the jets....

Bmax

Throne Logic
03-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Wire is NOT as SS. Why do so many of you think he suddenly developed the speed for this position?

I forgot who said last year's draft was a failure, but, whomever it was: What the heck?!? You go ahead and name me the last team who drafted 4 immediate starters in the first 3 - 4 rounds. You CANNOT even begin to assess last year's draft until this season is in full swing.

Tatonka
03-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Wire is NOT as SS. Why do so many of you think he suddenly developed the speed for this position?

I forgot who said last year's draft was a failure, but, whomever it was: What the heck?!? You go ahead and name me the last team who drafted 4 immediate starters in the first 3 - 4 rounds. You CANNOT even begin to assess last year's draft until this season is in full swing.

this is what i posted yesterday, throne.. please explain to me how he is too slow??

hey EE.. i think that this is something that is GROSSLY misconceived about wire.. his official time at the combine was 4.56

that is .03 seconds slower than sean taylors 4.53 or roy williams 4.51

he has everything necessary to be a dominant safety.. he just needs to learn the position..

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/2002draft/dbs/coywire.htm

mypoorfriendme
03-17-2004, 07:14 PM
40 times don't mean anything!! a 4.56 forty means coy wire can run a 40 yard seam with out pads on in about 4 and a half seconds. just because he has a descent 40 time does in no way mean he is good in coverage. willis mcgahee runs sub 4.4, lets put him at reciever! i can throw the football over 60 yards, i shuold start at QB!! coy wire may learn how to play FS but he has a whole lot to work on with his coverage skills i saw in his rookie year. again, he is borderline strong safety much less FREE safety

DraftBoy
03-17-2004, 08:43 PM

this is what i posted yesterday, throne.. please explain to me how he is too slow??

Hes not too slow to play the posistion but he does have the exp or hands I want in a FS...Probably one of the hardest posistions on the D...Especially for a LB switching to S. He is known for hitting not picking off passes...Guys complained about Winfields hands this kid has worse ones, it has always been his knock and appears to still be. If he is our starting FS, expect to give up some bombs during the season. He would be a good SS, but not FS.

Tatonka
03-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Hes not too slow to play the posistion but he does have the exp or hands I want in a FS...Probably one of the hardest posistions on the D...Especially for a LB switching to S. He is known for hitting not picking off passes...Guys complained about Winfields hands this kid has worse ones, it has always been his knock and appears to still be. If he is our starting FS, expect to give up some bombs during the season. He would be a good SS, but not FS.

because he dropped one int, he has worse hands than winfield? how can you make that assumption? unless you actually watched him in training camp or something.. i just dont know how anyone can assume his hands are so bad...