PDA

View Full Version : Bills In Hot Persuit For Volek

mightyspaz
03-17-2004, 07:00 AM
Bills cut backup QB, want Volek
By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
March 17, 2004

Billy Volek’s agent was expecting the Buffalo Bills to get serious in their pursuit of the free agent quarterback Tuesday, one day after Volek completed his visit there.

The Bills are expected to join the Atlanta Falcons in making a proposal to try and lure Volek. Tennessee has also been trading proposals back and forth with Ken Staninger in an effort to retain Volek as a backup to Steve McNair.

“I had a nice chat with [Bills general manager] Tom Donohoe [Monday] night, and he expressed some sincere interest in Billy,” Staninger told The City Paper.

The Bills perhaps gave notification of their interest in pursuing Volek when they released veteran backup Alex Van Pelt Tuesday.

Atlanta already has put two offers on the table for Volek, the second one a lucrative three-year offer.

Titans general manager Floyd Reese received a counteroffer Monday from Staninger, so Tennessee remains in the picture.

“I can only say we’ve involved Tennessee from the start, and we’ve told other teams he’s visited that Tennessee is still very much in this,” Staninger said. “Yet, teams have still opted to pursue him.”

Staninger said he had hoped to have a deal for Volek completed by mid-week, but one probably won’t come to fruition that soon. Any further talks with Tennessee and Atlanta will be on hold for a day or so, as Reese is in Tallahassee, Fla., looking at draft prospects and Falcons GM Rich McKay is at the NFL Competition Committee meetings.

Staninger wouldn’t go as far as to say the Titans would get the chance to match any offer Volek received on the open market, but he did say “the lines of communication will continue to remain open with Tennessee.”

Meanwhile, Tennessee had Falcons free agent quarterback Doug Johnson at Baptist Sports Park Tuesday for his visit, just in case they lose Volek to free agency.

Agent Mark Rodgers was fairly tight-lipped about Johnson’s visit

“It is difficult to discuss these things because in this league, things can change from day to day,” Rodgers said. “Doug is comfortable with the process, and he’s been comfortable with the Titans. He’s obviously intrigued by it, or he wouldn’t be there.

“I think Doug’s credentials speak for themselves, and there are a number of teams that are interested in him to be their backup quarterback.”

mightyspaz
03-17-2004, 07:07 AM
No One Cares?

TigerJ
03-17-2004, 08:21 AM
I think that the money being equal, Buffalo would have to be considered the favorite, assuming one of Volek's priorities is the chance to start sooner rather than later. McNair and Vick are both younger than Bledsoe, and Bledsoe's rough season in 2003 has to make it look like his status as starter is not as secure as that of the other two guys.

Morgoth
03-17-2004, 08:57 AM
That's not how you spell pursuit?

IHateTheDullphins
03-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by mightyspaz
No One Cares?

That story has been on the internet since yesterday. It's not that nobody cares, it's just old news, and noone is suprised by it anyways.