X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

More proof stats don't mean much.

We are 4th in NFL in sacks but it seems like we never get pressure.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
  • BlackJohn
    This is an actual picture of myself!
    • Sep 2002

I'd say sacks are the most overrated stat in football. We get pressure from the outside edges and the quarter back rarely feels that pressure, so he doesn't make any mistakes ... we need pressure up the middle to cause some bad decisions ... we rarely get it.
    Black John!

Its Black Jack.

You're a good man Jack. Buy yourself something frilly.

Comment

• Wys Guy
      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
      • Jul 2002

"I'd say sacks are the most overrated stat in football."

We've come a long way from last year then...

B2R46,

You can't say that "stats don't mean much." They have meaning when looked at in perspective and within the parameters within which they were created.

Eg., Bledsoe is what, the 1st passer yardage wise and Henry the 6th rusher. That would normally lead one to believe that we are a balanced team which is not true. The truth is that Henry has had most of his yards, for whatever reason (not all his fault IMO), in two games however, while Drew has put up both yards and TDs more consistently than he ever has.

Also, let's say a team has a 5th ranked rush D yet boasts only a 24th ranked passing D and they are 12-4. How can that be? In all liklihood the team has been up late in most games forcing opponents to pass which helps both of those stats for that team.

Which brings up a good point, that if the Bills could go up by 17 on teams instead of always coming from behind, then our rushing defense would be ranked higher. It wouldn't necessarily speak to how good it is, but it would alter the rankings in its favor.
      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy

B2R46,

You can't say that "stats don't mean much."

How'd I know you would not agree with that statment?

Comment

• EricStratton
          • Jul 2002

[B
          Which brings up a good point, that if the Bills could go up by 17 on teams instead of always coming from behind, then our rushing defense would be ranked higher. It wouldn't necessarily speak to how good it is, but it would alter the rankings in its favor. [/B]
          This statement is why stats in football don't mean as much as some people think. Depending on the situation the stats an individual or a team can get better or worse stats in a given catagory.

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

B2,

"How'd I know you would not agree with that statment?"

Actually, what is even more histerical than that, is that I'm sure you think they mean the world that Drew is #4 in passing yards, #3 in rating, and Henry #6 in rushing. Wasn't it you who pointed that out about Henry yesterday. Those stats tell all, right.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
              • Jul 2002

Stats have meaning if you look at things holistically and not in vacuum. Ie., if you consider the basis on which they are made and don't simply take the ones you like and disregard the rest simply b/c they don't mesh w/ one's "rah-rah" attitude.

Unfortunately, stats aren't what wins in the playoffs and in the Superbowl. Execution is.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• EricStratton
                • Jul 2002

Stats have meaning if you look at things holistically and not in vacuum. Ie., if you consider the basis on which they are made and don't simply take the ones you like and disregard the rest simply b/c they don't mesh w/ one's "rah-rah" attitude.

Unfortunately, stats aren't what wins in the playoffs and in the Superbowl. Execution is.

Or look at it this way:

take the ones you like and disregard the rest simply b/c they don't mesh w/ one's anti-player/coach/team attitude.

Stats don't make a player/coach/team.

Comment

• BigDoug
                  1-800-SAD-GOAT
                  • Jul 2002

Other than fantasy football, stats are meaningless in Pro Football.

The only stat that matters is W's & L's at the end of the day.

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

Agreed, BD. I've never been a stat guy myself....on-field play determines a lot more IF you know what you are looking for. An incomplete pass is not always the fault of the QB and there are times that a QB goes away from the design of the play based on gut instinct...sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt.
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• colin
                      Drew's my hero!
                      • Jul 2002

If you are smart enough to understand what they mean, stats are very useful and meaningful. Wins and losses do not tell everything, and that is why more indepth information is needed. Handicappers use whatever stats they feel are most telling in pricing games (making spreads).

Saying stats are meaningless is just silly.

Comment

• EricStratton
                        • Jul 2002

Stats are useless when you pick and choose to support a point. When looked at as a whole they are fine but to many fans, critics and people in the media find the stats that fit their needs and ignore the rest.

Comment

Working...
                        X