PDA

View Full Version : Ty Laws latest rant

Thailog80
03-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Ty Laws Comments (http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2240012)

Can you believe he said that? I can't see that situation ending peacefully in NE. Would we want him? You bet I still do!!

NFL Networks All Access Show lead of with this story tonight.

Goobylal
03-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Too funny, that Belichick didn't expect Law to play as well as he did. If he didn't, the Pats wouldn't have made the SB, much less won it. They'll find out next year how valuable he was, because there's no Rodney Harrison-like (WRT Milloy) replacement available anymore on the market.

The Spaz
03-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Wow!!:jawdrop:

Tatonka
03-17-2004, 08:32 PM
i think it is funny

STAMPY
03-17-2004, 08:33 PM
ty law is good at defending his case... i don't feel he's being greedy, he feels disrespected as was lawyer. law taking a pay cut to allow brady to be signed was a very big team guy move, therefore i understand he's mad cause ne don't really care about him after all he's done. i'll be very happy if ty law leaves ne. go anywhere brother just leave the pats, helps us out too

DraftBoy
03-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Hates Belichek! He comes here for less? Move Vincent or him to FS????

Ickybaluky
03-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Your not really buying all this, are you?

Think about it. The guy just wants out of his deal so he can sign a new one. He figures if he goes public and rants and raves the can force their hands, because he wants to get a new deal now and they aren't going to give it to him.

Ty's a bright guy, and he probably understands the business behind football as well as any player. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Quite frankly, I don't even think the Patriots will acknowledge anything. They will just let him play.

The Spaz
03-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Hates Belichek! He comes here for less? Move Vincent or him to FS????

:drool::up:

STAMPY
03-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by NE39

Think about it. The guy just wants out of his deal so he can sign a new one. He figures if he goes public and rants and raves the can force their hands, because he wants to get a new deal now and they aren't going to give it to him.

Ty's a bright guy, and he probably understands the business behind football as well as any player. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Quite frankly, I don't even think the Patriots will acknowledge anything. They will just let him play.

i'm totally buying it... after what happened to lawyer, Ty wants out

BAM
03-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Excerpts from the interview, which will air Thursday at 10 a.m. ET on the James Brown Show.

sweet, i listen to that show every day, i'll be tuned in :up:

Turf
03-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Soon we'll have NE's entire secondary. I say make a play on him, maybe trade Drew for him and a 2nd rounder.

BuffaloRanger
03-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Who would want Drew? the pats? Am I missing something?

Mr. Cynical
03-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Turf
Soon we'll have NE's entire secondary. I say make a play on him, maybe trade Drew for him and a 2nd rounder.

:scratch:

Mr. Cynical
03-17-2004, 11:59 PM
This article makes him out to be a good guy, someone who seems to be a pretty straight shooter and not a Meshawn/TO egomaniac.

However, his statement from a week ago about the "insult deal" of $8M a year for at least 2 years is a complete contradiction, i.e., it makes him out to be a money guy.

Now I don't know which person he is...the money grubber or the team player. :scratch:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-18-2004, 05:58 AM
Why is it that Ty Law wants more money from the Pats and everyone wants him here. Billy Volek is weighing his options and he is a money grubbing backup and you don't want him here?

Ickybaluky
03-18-2004, 06:17 AM
Ty is a team player, on the field.

However, there are very few athletes smarter than Law at understanding that football is a cut-throat business. He isn't one to take things personal, but he also is going to maximize his earnings (which is his right). He is exercising an exit strategy in an effort to get his new contract now, because his marketability is at an all-time high. He'll insult anyone he has to, because if he can force them to release him he will be in line for a huge contract. If he isn't released, he has to play under his present deal.

It was only a month-and-a-half ago that Law was waving to the crowds at the Pats Super Bowl parade. He was at the mike calling Belichick the best coach in the NFL, and making Bob Kraft dance on stage. He didn't mind being a Patriot then.

What happened in the interim? Law found out the Pats weren't going to extend his contract for big money, instead choosing to let him play for the $7M+ he is contracted to earn this season. Thus, as a businessman, he decided to do the only thing he can do, which is become such a pain-in-the-butt that the organization might get sick of it and release him.

It really is quite obvious what is happening. I understand that a lot of you have your opinions colored by your dislike for the Pats, but you should be smart enough to see what is happening here.

I doubt it works. Maybe Law becomes so loud the Pats decide to trade him. However, more than likely they just ignore it and move on with their plans. They aren't the kind of team that reacts to this sort of thing.

Ickybaluky
03-18-2004, 06:22 AM
BTW, this is nothing like the Milloy situation. Totally different things.

They wanted Milloy to take a paycut because his production didn't meet his salary. Law is a guy they don't want to extend because of his asking price, but are willing to pay him his current value because he has earned it.

Milloy is a far more emotional player than Law, and takes things personally. Law may sound like he is taking it personally, but he understands it is a business better than anyone. He is merely exercising a strategy.

madness
03-18-2004, 06:50 AM
I think it's exactly like the Milloy situation plus one thing.

'He did not expect you to play as well as you did.'

If Law didn't have a big year, the same thing would have happened to him.

Turf
03-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by kal123

:scratch:

Sarcasm, a little shot at Drew.

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
ty law is good at defending his case... i don't feel he's being greedy, he feels disrespected as was lawyer. law taking a pay cut to allow brady to be signed was a very big team guy move, therefore i understand he's mad cause ne don't really care about him after all he's done. i'll be very happy if ty law leaves ne. go anywhere brother just leave the pats, helps us out too

law didnt take a pay CUT.. he resturctured.. i love how he brought that up.. it wasnt like he made less money.. just rearanged the payments.. he still got every penny... it is all a game to him.. and he wont get cut.. and will just look stupid.

pats-were-right
03-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Tatonka is 100% right - shows you his attitude when he brags about a simple restructuring (change money from nonguaranteed to guaranteed), something that is done 100 times a day.

law taking a pay cut to allow brady to be signed was a very big team guy move, therefore i understand he's mad cause ne don't really care about him after all he's done.

Too bad that NEVER happened.

Also, will (some of) you people stop with this whole "he hates Belichick so he'll come to Buffalo to play for less than market" BS? Not gonna happen.

Novacane
03-18-2004, 08:57 AM

I hope you are joking. They would not even give us a # 2 for Bledsoe much less throw in Ty Law.

Novacane
03-18-2004, 09:02 AM

Sarcasm, a little shot at Drew.

:up:

Thought you had lost it there for a minute. I doubt they would give us a 7th rounder for Bledsoe. They don't want that bum back

Ickybaluky
03-18-2004, 09:23 AM
If Law didn't have a big year, the same thing would have happened to him.

Of course he would have, because that is the way the NFL works. Law had down years in 1999 and 2000. He finished the 2000 season by asking to stay behind in Buffalo because he was afraid to fly in a snowstorm, then getting caught with ecstasy by the canadian border guards returning from the canadian strip joints. If he hadn't played better after that incident, he would already be gone. He might have been cut right there except he had too much amortized SB money at that point.

How would that be different than Ruben Brown or any other player that doesn't play up to his contract? If he hadn't played well, then he would be asked to take a paycut or released because he was scheduled to make a boatload of money. That is the way the league works, and if any player has a problem with it he should be upset with the NFLPA for negotiating the deal and not the team.

Do you think Bill Belichick wishes he played worse? Please, he wants him to play well so the team can win games. They would like to re-do the contract as well, but they don't want to pay Law as much as he is demanding. Thus, they are going to pay him what his existing contract demands and let him play. Next year, if they don't want to pay him they will release him.

Is that fair? Maybe not, but that is the NFL. Law wants out of his deal so he can get a new, big, fat contract. I can't blame him, it is nothing personal. He is looking out for himself because he knows this is a business. However, the Pats aren't bad guys any more than Law is.

Ickybaluky
03-18-2004, 09:25 AM
The difference is, the Pats wanted Milloy to take a paycut but he refused. So they released.

In Law's case, they want him to play under his existing contract, but he wants to be released because he wants to get a new contract and they aren't going to give it to him.

See the difference?

Ebenezer
03-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by NE39

He has his rings...he has his money...he wants even more money...the Pats have the upper hand on this one...

STAMPY
03-18-2004, 09:47 AM
as long as he keeps badmouthing the pats and management... they will likely trade him or cut him because its bad for team and its bad PR. keep it up Ty i'll be happy anywhere u land outside NE

mikedd74
03-18-2004, 12:54 PM
The Pat fought the law but the law won lol

Stewie
03-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
Why is it that Ty Law wants more money from the Pats and everyone wants him here. Billy Volek is weighing his options and he is a money grubbing backup and you don't want him here?

Because Ty Law is Ty Law, and Billy Volek is... Billy Volek.

Marvelous
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
I will be happy to see him out of the division. He plays Moulds better then any corner in The East...
Theres is no way we get him since we got Vincent. Shrobel,Pat and Jennings are free agents next year, and all 3 will want big money.

Should i wait to get a Shrobel jersey? I dont wanna jinx us.

Samphin1
03-19-2004, 01:18 AM
I agree with Sippio. As a Dolphin fan, I have seen enough of Law and would be happy to see him take his talents out of the East all together. If it hurts the Pats on the field, it is definately something any Bills fand and Dolphins fans can root for together! :cheers:

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
as long as he keeps badmouthing the pats and management... they will likely trade him or cut him because its bad for team and its bad PR. keep it up Ty i'll be happy anywhere u land outside NE

I tend to agree with this view. I hear what you are saying NE39, but at *some* point the Pats are going to have to do something, even if they have the leverage legally (contract wise). As much as they'd like to keep him for one more year, if Ty keeps this up it will hurt them more than help them if they stick to their guns.

Other players will start to tire of it and cause friction....coaches won't want the distraction from focusing on football...Pats PR department won't want the bad publicity....etc. It will become a total drain on the franchise and at some point Kraft will decide it is not worth it, a la Meshawn.

But...for this to happen Ty has to keep the fire on for awhile and at the same intensity. If he gets lazy about it, then the Pats will stand pat (pun intended). ;)