PDA

View Full Version : Volek narrows it to Bills, Falcons and Titans

the dude
03-18-2004, 01:21 AM
Thursday Nashville City paper article (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=7&screen=news&news_id=31597)

Volek, who has now healed from his season-ending December spleen laceration, and agent Ken Staninger faxed another proposal to the Titans Wednesday on the heels of receiving an offer from the Buffalo Bills late Tuesday night, further complicating the decision for the free-agent quarterback.

“Buffalo has certainly made a very serious proposal. It is a very legitimate offer and Billy and I have talked about it,” Staninger said.

This is by no means a done deal yet. I hope we get Volek. As much as I'd like Rivers in here, he wont last till the 2nd and we can't afford to take a non-immediate-contributor 2 years in a row in the first round.

Romes
03-18-2004, 01:35 AM
Hmm....seems a lot like the news reporting during the whole Vincent thing...

B-DON
03-18-2004, 01:39 AM
i think we get him by this weekend i just cant see any sense in going to atlanta

Mr. Cynical
03-18-2004, 01:39 AM
I don't see why he'd go to Atlanta unless the money was really great. He has no chance to start. In Buffalo he could conceivably start this year, or at least next year.

Big M
03-18-2004, 05:39 AM
That Atlanta report saying the Bills were out of the Volek chase was written Wed. morning, before the Bills sent over the first solid contract offer. Volek is still very much in our sights, if we want him.

superbills
03-18-2004, 07:25 AM
If I were Volek, I would have to say to myself, "What's the rush?" Wait until the minicamps and such are over and see if you can step into a situation where a starter wnet down to injury, or something to that effect. If his main concern is going somewhere where he can start, I think that may be a safe gamble. Sure, you miss a lot of team development time, but I'm sure that a team that picks you up to fill in for their starter will get you up to speed pretty quickly.

Pardon my ignorance if I'm missing some rule about free agency that makes this impossible. I just wondered why a QB qould not consider this if he's a borderline starter.

The Spaz
03-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by superbills
If I were Volek, I would have to say to myself, "What's the rush?" Wait until the minicamps and such are over and see if you can step into a situation where a starter wnet down to injury, or something to that effect. If his main concern is going somewhere where he can start, I think that may be a safe gamble. Sure, you miss a lot of team development time, but I'm sure that a team that picks you up to fill in for their starter will get you up to speed pretty quickly.

Pardon my ignorance if I'm missing some rule about free agency that makes this impossible. I just wondered why a QB qould not consider this if he's a borderline starter.

Well if his contract has some kind of clause in his contract that says if he is a starter for a certain number of games then it would be wise for him to sign as early as possible an learn the playbook and take reps.

mikedd74
03-18-2004, 08:59 AM
We could be the Darkhorse canidate. Notice all the players with V for free agents

Novacane
03-18-2004, 09:10 AM
They should offer him an open competition with Bledsoe for the starting job. He would not get that anywhere else. IT would be fair to. After the last year and a half Drew should have to fight for his job.

baalworship
03-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
They should offer him an open competition with Bledsoe for the starting job. He would not get that anywhere else. IT would be fair to. After the last year and a half Drew should have to fight for his job.

Maybe they did. It's also possible they offered him a open competition and Bledsoe won't be informed that he's fighting for his job. Who knows what we're telling him.