PDA

View Full Version : FOX sports says we go for Big Ben

Fryin' The Fish
03-18-2004, 11:36 AM
from foxsports.com

Roethlisberger could go in the top five — if a QB-needy team trades up — or fall to the middle of the round because most teams in the top 12 already have young passers. The Bills would be lucky to get Roethlisberger as the heir apparent to short-timer Drew Bledsoe.

thats what i hope happens.

mikedd74
03-18-2004, 11:39 AM
I could see him drafted by the 5th pick The Redskins are interested in trading that pick. I would like Eli Manning to fall but chances are....very slim

Devin
03-18-2004, 11:39 AM
I posted this sometime ago. I wouldnt mind seeing it happen but id rather see Rivers here.

Rivers is easily the most accurate of the 3 (71%) and has the uncanny ability to go through his progressions flawlessly.

Ingtar33
03-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Ben is the only QB in this draft with top 5 pick talent... he falls to us i'd jump for joy

Think John Elway and you'll have a good idea of who Ben is.

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 11:49 AM
i would rather take rivers later.. but i would be happy with either.

Ingtar33
03-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Ben is the type of player that if he's still on the board at 8 or 9 you start talking tradeup

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 11:51 AM
what do you think of volek, Ing?

Ingtar33
03-18-2004, 11:56 AM
eh... he was sacked what? 6 or 8 times by us?

Tenn is loaded at WR, has a fairly good OL, and one of the best OCs in the league. I'm thinking rob johnson version 2.0

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
eh... he was sacked what? 6 or 8 times by us?

Tenn is loaded at WR, has a fairly good OL, and one of the best OCs in the league. I'm thinking rob johnson version 2.0

4 times.

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 12:04 PM
so basically, what your saying is you dont know that much about him...

the dude
03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Ben is the only QB in this draft with top 5 pick talent... he falls to us i'd jump for joy

Think John Elway and you'll have a good idea of who Ben is.

Hey Ingtar

The stuff I've read and seen of Big Ben is that while he may be the most talented QB in the draft, he has a long way to go in terms of reading defenses. He obviously hasn't faced the level of competition that Eli and Rivers did. Thus, it seems that the learning curve for Ben will probably be a couple years longer than the other two - and I'm not sure TD thinks it wise to spend a high 1st rounder on a QB, train him for 5 years, then lose him to free agency. His comments from several different articles seemed to indicate he'd rather let someone else make that investment. Witness his interest in Volek, and even Bledsoe.

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 12:07 PM
it is funny that you say "loaded at wr".. considering the wrs they had were huge question marks coming into the season after losing dyson.. bennet, mccarians and calico were all unproven and unknows..

and he didnt have any kind of consistent running game.. and was playing against the #2 defense..

he also had almost as many tds on us as we had sacks.. 3tds to 4 sacks..

i am just surprised to see you make such a general statement and throw out the lame rob johnson comparison like so many other have casually tossed around. i was hoping for a little bit more...

oh well.

mikemac2001
03-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Exactly the only real complaints are saying he is RJ. Ok maybe he will be another bomb like RJ was but if you thought like that how could you bring anyone in. Look at how many bust have been in the NFL. i think if the money is right then we should go after him. i didnt like that 3 year deal maybe spread it out so cap hit isnt as much right now.

Ingtar33
03-18-2004, 12:26 PM
sorry T,

I'll go farther if you want... just don't expect this to be a whole lot of in depth analysis, as ive not got the time to find numbers and most of what im saying if half remembered games form 4 or 5 months ago.

Basically Volek ate alive our pass defense, in one of those games where everything seemed to go right for the titans offense. If you recall our pass rush had a very good game against them, and Volek took a beating all game (im surprised it was only 4 sacks, i recall him getting smacked every time he dropped back)... mostly due to the fact he held the ball a bit too long something, some of it was just a great blitz game for our D, and unless ive forgotten completely Schobel had a monster game.

As to Volek himself, he has a moderate arm, moderate feet, and fairly good vision. A moderate to borderline good NFL QB, who holds onto the ball just a little too long for his safety.

Of course he outplayed Drew so who am i to complain if he's brought in for 1.5 to 2 mil per season.

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 12:52 PM
sorry T,

I'll go farther if you want... just don't expect this to be a whole lot of in depth analysis, as ive not got the time to find numbers and most of what im saying if half remembered games form 4 or 5 months ago.

Basically Volek ate alive our pass defense, in one of those games where everything seemed to go right for the titans offense. If you recall our pass rush had a very good game against them, and Volek took a beating all game (im surprised it was only 4 sacks, i recall him getting smacked every time he dropped back)... mostly due to the fact he held the ball a bit too long something, some of it was just a great blitz game for our D, and unless ive forgotten completely Schobel had a monster game.

As to Volek himself, he has a moderate arm, moderate feet, and fairly good vision. A moderate to borderline good NFL QB, who holds onto the ball just a little too long for his safety.

Of course he outplayed Drew so who am i to complain if he's brought in for 1.5 to 2 mil per season.

thanks ing.. that is the response i was looking for... i was not saying that your wrong.. just trying to learn more about a guy that could potentially be our new qb.

socalfan
03-18-2004, 01:26 PM
deja vu.

Devin
03-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by the dude

Hey Ingtar

The stuff I've read and seen of Big Ben is that while he may be the most talented QB in the draft, he has a long way to go in terms of reading defenses. He obviously hasn't faced the level of competition that Eli and Rivers did. Thus, it seems that the learning curve for Ben will probably be a couple years longer than the other two - and I'm not sure TD thinks it wise to spend a high 1st rounder on a QB, train him for 5 years, then lose him to free agency. His comments from several different articles seemed to indicate he'd rather let someone else make that investment. Witness his interest in Volek, and even Bledsoe.

TD is pretty hi9gh on Rivers, hes openly stated many times how big of a stud he thinks Rivers is. He mentioned one of the most intruiging things about Rivers is how smart he is in the pocket and his ability to find the open man. Something Drew has always struggled with.

B-DON
03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Big Ben is a steal at 13 and would be crazy not to get him

mypoorfriendme
03-19-2004, 12:31 AM
you just have to keep reminding yourself of what TD preaches and proved last draft...best player available. ive said it again and again and i just know that if big ben falls that far, he WILL be a bill. unless of course TD has someone ranked higher or would trade down to a generous offer

STAMPY
03-19-2004, 12:39 AM
i'd go bonkers if we got ben at 13... my favorite qb in draft i like losman a lot too