PDA

View Full Version : greg williams vs. mike mularkey

mypoorfriendme
03-18-2004, 09:26 PM
lately ive heard a lot of real positive attitudes about mike mularkey and our coaching staff. well...what was the attitude like when greg williams came in? someone convince me this is an entirely different situation

just try not to be biased because of williams record in buffalo...close your eyes and go back to right when he was hired

:crazed:

helmetguy
03-18-2004, 09:33 PM
When Williams arrived on the scene, he was full of bravado and braggadocio. While Buffalo's defense was the third ranked in the league under Wade Phillips, Williams "reminded" us that HIS defense in Tennessee was #1 that year. He boasted that his corps of rookie coaches weren't just coaches, they were "teachers." He basically wrote checks with his ego that his experience couldn't cash. Mularkey, by contrast, has been more subdued; recognizing and acknowledging that there is a lot of talent here that can be competitive.

The Spaz
03-18-2004, 09:33 PM
He has hired a way more experienced coaching staff!:up:

bills_7
03-18-2004, 09:38 PM
It seems like this new coaching staff really wants to work as a team

generalmills
03-18-2004, 09:51 PM
your only as good as those you surround yourself with....

mypoorfriendme
03-18-2004, 10:07 PM
yet we do have a rookie offensive coordinator, that kinda scares me. hopefully mularkey will be calling the majority of the plays

Goobylal
03-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
yet we do have a rookie offensive coordinator, that kinda scares me. hopefully mularkey will be calling the majority of the plays
If Clements struggles, there's Wyche and as a last resort (since he'll still have head coaching duties), Mularkey. There are several layers of contingencies thanks to Sam Wyche being on-board, and that includes Mularkey being a rookie HC.

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme

i think that could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.. i think clements is going to be great..

TD wanted to hire him over gilbride 2 years ago.. but GW chose kildrive instead..

clements is widely acknowledged as one of the bright young coaches in the league.. and he was great at his prior position.. sending grbac and stewart to the probowl.. and getting maddox the comeback player of the year award..

/me prays that he can do something with drew.

mypoorfriendme
03-19-2004, 12:16 AM
EVERYONE prays that he can do something with drew

dolfan25
03-19-2004, 12:18 AM
These guys should've been hired after the 2001 season in Pittsburgh. I really can't see what they've done in the last 2 years to make their star shine brighter. Even as a Fins fan I don't see what the big advantage is with the current coaching staff as opposed to when GW came in. Both times if TD would've been a little more patient he could've possibly had a Super Bowl coordinator. Possibly John Fox in 01 or Weiss or Crennell this year. Looks like the exact same mistake. Maybe Mularkey will prove me wrong. They sure didn't look too great with a pocket QB last year who had more talent at the wide receiver position than the Bills currently do, although the Bills have better RB's.

mypoorfriendme
03-19-2004, 12:26 AM
three things that are almost gurenteed with the new coaching staff...
1.) improved offensive line play
2.) improved QB play
3.) improved offensive play-calling

:pray:

dolfan25
03-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Well if they stayed at the same level as last year or got worse what would that say about Mularkey. I just don't see how improved QB play is a guarantee. I'll grant you that Drew can't be much worse but at this stage of his career I don't see him getting much better.

mypoorfriendme
03-19-2004, 12:34 AM
two seasons ago - kordell stewart - pro bowler
one season ago - tommy maddux - nfl come-back player of the year
last season - injuries and desperation
this coming season - drew bledsoe - pro bowler/come back player of the year

again :pray:

dolfan25
03-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Yeah right after 5 years of basically sucking(save for the first 6 games in 2002) he's going to be a pro bowler and comeback player of the year. Right.

You do know that Gilbride was highly thought of when he left Jacksonville and even Pittsburgh but what did he do for Bledsoe? Nothing. Heck even Charlie Weis gave up on this guy. Are Clements and Mularkey better than Weis? Maybe at this stage of his career Drew is an Offensive Coordinator Killer.

B-DON
03-19-2004, 12:54 AM
i hope your wronf dolfan25