PDA

View Full Version : some pro day results and ridiculous trade rumor

B-DON
03-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Nfl.Com is reporting that K Jones ran an average time of 4.63 in his Pro Day 40 yard dash. Followed up by a pedestrian 4.10 and 7.17 in the short shuttle and the 3 cone drill. Can anybody say 3rd round at best!!! All of you out there that have thought I was some kinda idiot for saying there were 4 other backs I would take before Jones need to pay more attention. It appears I was right!!
It is unlikely that a back will be drafted in the top 2/3rds of the first round. Jackson and Perry had identical times in the 40 and Perry was slightly quicker in the other two drills. Tatum Bell is going to be laughing all the way to the bank cuz he is now no worse than 3rd on the board and definantly the fastest RB in the draft.
I don't know how Va Tech times its players but they must get a 2 yard running start. Nobody ever runs close to their reported times.

Chris Perry ran it in a 4.5
According to a Cleveland Newspaper, the Browns want to move up and are targetting the Cardinals at #3 for a trade.
The deal is supposedly
Dennis Northcutt and #7
for
Also…………………….this is not much to move up what do you guys think?

I know 40 times aren’t everything but this is a lot slower than anyone expected. He seemed way faster in games. He’s going to be a steal for someone in the second round hopefully not the patriots. Hopefully the Broncos scoop him up or dallas.

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 11:10 PM
i am a tech alum... i have watched all of jone's games.. he is a stud.. i dont care what he clocked.. i know he runs a 4.4.. i have seen him do it.. he had a bad day.. and hall ran a 4.35 at the combine.. so dont give me that 2 yard running start junk.

jones will end up being a total steal for a team like new england... it makes me sick.

B-DON
03-18-2004, 11:13 PM
exactly what i think. someone said he was real nervous and even knocked over a cone but i dont know how much truth is behind this

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 11:19 PM
all i know is i have seen jones play ever game.. he is big enough to run over people.. but he has some electric moves.. and if he gets in the open field.. NO ONE is catching him..

he is a stud.. so is jackson, imho..

the top three backs are jones, jackson, and greg jones.. and if new england gets any of those three.. i am going to be so friggin pissed off.

B-DON
03-18-2004, 11:28 PM
i still think Greg jones is going to be the best of the 3. he can runover people and i swear he ran a 4.4 I know fsu just had their pro day recently but i cant find any results

LIQUID24
03-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i am a tech alum... i have watched all of jone's games.. he is a stud.. i dont care what he clocked.. i know he runs a 4.4.. i have seen him do it.. he had a bad day.. and hall ran a 4.35 at the combine.. so dont give me that 2 yard running start junk.

jones will end up being a total steal for a team like new england... it makes me sick. Gotta agree. I was shocked by the 40 times, but I still think he's the best back in the draft. I hope the Patsies don't get him.

LIQUID24
03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
i still think Greg jones is going to be the best of the 3. he can runover people and i swear he ran a 4.4 I know fsu just had their pro day recently but i cant find any results He ran a 4.62 and 4.65. Personally, I think he's overrated.

Tatonka
03-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by LIQUID24
He ran a 4.62 and 4.65. Personally, I think he's overrated.

he is not over rated.. considering he probably wont go in the 1st round..

it depends on what you expect.. your not going to get a lot of versatility.. but a team like NE could use him in conjunction with kevin faulk, and it could be a deadly combination...

i just hope to got that NE takes perry, clarriet.. or anyoen other than the big three.

Mr. Cynical
03-18-2004, 11:58 PM
I'm still crossing my fingers McGahee is 100%. If he is, I don't think we'll care about any of these backs. ;)

mypoorfriendme
03-19-2004, 12:13 AM
word on that kal, but about greg jones he did look really good at the senior bowl (both in his jersey, without a shirt on, and kinda good running the ball) but if you look at his avg yard per carry from last year, its terrible. hes improved his draft status since the season ended, but i dont think hell be much more of an antowain smith in the nfl....4 yards every time and not much more.

mypoorfriendme
03-19-2004, 12:14 AM
kevin jones however has the speed to take it to the house despite what his 40 time says. he could have had a bad day or he runs a 4.6 in heavy pads too whereas most people pads slow them down a ton. there is a huge difference between track fast and football fast

B-DON
03-19-2004, 12:49 AM
i guarantee you greg jones will be a top tier back. i am an fsu fan and we had 3 great rb's last year and jones was coming off major knee surgery from the season before in which he was killin it til he got injured

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-19-2004, 07:28 AM
If Greg Jones could catch out of the backfield he might be the top back in the draft. He will be a steal if the team that takes him can help him on his way with that.

Pride
03-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Alot can be said for nerves at the combine.

Think about it... if you were a college grad, with no real education to speak of, and you had the opportunity to make 10 million or 300 thousand dollars, mostly based on 1 single workout, you may be a little nervous too

lordofgun
03-19-2004, 07:38 AM

jones will end up being a total steal for a team like new england... it makes me sick.

:homer:

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 07:40 AM
shut it..

i think you are more qualified to tell a dolphins fan who has potential on the bills because you watched all the games..

same case here.

Bert102176
03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
I don't really care about what these guys run in a 40, I like what they do, how they run during actual games

Jan Reimers
03-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I don't really care about what these guys run in a 40, I like what they do, how they run during actual games

Exactly. Whatever happened to football skills, instincts and good old productivity?

Track stars and weightlifters generally make lousy football players.

I'm surprised Jerry Rice ever accomplished anything, what with his 4.55 40 time and probably a low number of reps in the 225 lb. bench press as well.

Forward_Lateral
03-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Ben Watson, who is 6'4 255 ran a sub 4.4 40. That is amazing. He's a TE btw.

Jan Reimers
03-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral

And he also has football ability. Now that's a winning combination.

Forward_Lateral
03-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Could you imagine trying to tackle him while he's at full speed? I'd probably pull a Janikowski and fall down and roll out of the way.

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
do you have a link on that 4.4 time.. because i beleive that is off.

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 10:45 AM

do you have a link on that 4.4 time.. because i beleive that is off.

He's 6'3 258 Lbs. ran a 4.5 and did 34 reps of 225.:up:

Philly Zoner
03-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Pride
Alot can be said for nerves at the combine.

Think about it... if you were a college grad, with no real education to speak of, and you had the opportunity to make 10 million or 300 thousand dollars, mostly based on 1 single workout, you may be a little nervous too

nice point. that's why I like films. all these combine numbers should just be reassurance, not the difference between getting picked in the first or third rounds. or maybe in the case of a Drew Henson, where you've got nothing else to go on.

I mean seriously, if you've put up nasty numbers on the field in a good conference, why the hell does your stock drop b/c of a single workout. where you're probably scared to death because you know that one forty yard dash means half as much as the 1500 yeards you ran for last season.