PDA

View Full Version : Our 7

Bled2Hen
03-19-2004, 12:20 PM
I was thining of what our starters for our 2004 Buffalo defense would look like with our new players in the secondary. I know we only have 2, but I think its a big upgrade from last season. Spikes, Fletcher, Posey, Clements, Wire, Milloy, and Vincent. I think we have the best set of linebackers, and cornerbacks/safeties in the NFL. IMO, Troy Vincent is better than Antoine Winfield. If you noticed last year, Antoine had a feel for giving up the big play. I'll give you one for example. The Buffalo game against Miami in December. Our Defense was hyped, with the rivalry and all, and Milloy just flat out laid out, I think it was Mcmichael, Im not sure. Then the next play, a 30 yard TD pass from Fiedler to Chambers, right over Winfield's head. He lack the size, and a great corner like Ty Law, or Champ Bailey, would have swatted, or picked that pass easily. I think Troy Vincent, still has top 5 talent, as of cornerbacks in this leauge. Antoine was probly top 15, if lucky. Troy is defidently a better addition. Also, Coy Wire. I have been hyped up since last season for this guy to start. I rember in one of the pre season games, he smashed James Stewart, and put him out for the year. I really like how this guy plays, and I think him learning from Lawyer, Coy Wire, could be great for our D. I think we re going to have the best 7 in football this year. Im not so sure about the d-line, but Aaron defidently needs another partner at the other side of the line. Other than our line, we are all set with our secondary and LB's.

Halbert
03-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Until I actually see Wire play FS I'll withhold judgment but I can't deny I'm excited to see him give it a shot.

Assuming he ends up being an improvement over Reese or Prioleau, the only weak spot in the entire starting unit appears to be LDE. Even average performance there from Denny and/or Kelsey makes it a rock-solid unit.

Depth at the ends and LB is very weak, though. If we don't lose more than a few man-games at those spots, I'll be disappointed with anything less than a top 5 finish

mikedd74
03-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Vincent is a better!! definately agree. I also am a big supporter of Wire. I thought he should have played more last year considering he did well as a rookie.

MDFINFAN
03-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Until I actually see Wire play FS I'll withhold judgment but I can't deny I'm excited to see him give it a shot.

Assuming he ends up being an improvement over Reese or Prioleau, the only weak spot in the entire starting unit appears to be LDE. Even average performance there from Denny and/or Kelsey makes it a rock-solid unit.

Depth at the ends and LB is very weak, though. If we don't lose more than a few man-games at those spots, I'll be disappointed with anything less than a top 5 finish

This is indeed a good D, but I also think you're a little slow in the middle..Your LB's will have to take the lack for that...Winfield, while not the tallest DB, was an above avg..DB, while Troy is more experienced, Winfield was faster..in the end, that side of the D maybe a wash. ie..you didn't gain or lose anything there...

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Our Lb's are slow?:dizzy:

Bled2Hen
03-19-2004, 02:24 PM
our LB's are not slow, Flecther is quick, but lacks the size, and posey and Spikes are also pretty quick. What our D is missing is what Halbert has already posted. Depth. If you look at the Pats, they have so much depth and great players that come off the bench. If they lose Mcginest, here comes Vrabel. If they lose Bruschi, here comes Ted Johnson. They have great depth, and that is what we need. Also, on our line, Im not a big fan of Sam Adams. I think we need a Richard Seymore type of player to fill his spot. Maybe we'll get him in the draft.

mikedd74
03-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Depth is what the draft is for but who knows they may draft more for the offense this year since they upgraded the D so much last year in FA

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Our Lb's are slow?:dizzy:
He was thinking about Junior. :snicker:

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2004, 02:34 PM
BTW, :welcome: aboard Bled2Hen. :up:

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

He was thinking about Junior. :snicker:

He had to be.:up::cheers:

Halbert
03-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I also think you're a little slow in the middle..Your LB's will have to take the lack for that.
Maybe you're thinking of the Jets, who did have a slow LB problem last season.

The_Philster
03-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Bled2Hen
If you noticed last year, Antoine had a feel for giving up the big play.

I did....I also noticed he had the feel of playing in the Prevent defense cause he played it so much. When you line up 7-10 yards off the WR on a consistent basis, it's rare to make picks or knock down passes. The only knock on Antoine that's really legitimate (not pertaining to poor coaching) is his height...tall WRs could outjump him and get the ball if it was placed properly.

bills_7
03-19-2004, 03:49 PM
wire will only start at free safety if he proves himself in the pre season or maybe even the first couple games... i sure hope he does.... I also heard that the way our D is going to play is alomost like we have 2 SS anyway, is this true??/

TigerJ
03-19-2004, 08:24 PM
I think maybe he was talking about Buffalo's safeties, at this point Milloy and Wire. I don't necessarily agree. They aren't the fastest safeties in the league, and coverage is probably not a strength for either of them, but I think there are plenty of safeties who are slower.

As far as our linebackers are concerned, Fletcher is among the fastest in the league, and Spikes has plenty of speed too. Posey isn't real fast, but he has enough speed. Junior Seau and Zack Thomas on the other hand. . . (I'm not saying they don't play well, but they do it on experience and anticipation, not foot speed.)

John Doe
03-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Troy Vincent is better than Antoine Winfield.

That remains to be seen. I didn't see anyone offer Vincent the kind of money that Winfield got.

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by John Doe

That remains to be seen. I didn't see anyone offer Vincent the kind of money that Winfield got.

For good reason Vincent is 32. Besides we got a hell of a deal for Vincent and he will surely earn his money IMO.

John Doe
03-20-2004, 05:59 AM
For good reason Vincent is 32.

Exactly. He will be 33 when the season starts. I do not buy into the theory that Vincent in decline is better than Winfield in his prime. People make too much of Winfield's low interception count. He made his big plays tackling at and behind the line of scrimmage.