PDA

View Full Version : Would you still be a BILLS fan????

B-DON
03-19-2004, 01:24 PM
I know this is a little premature but with the talk of Ralph Wilson getting old and the possibility of no one in the Buffalo area wanting to buy the team. My question is would you still be a fan of teh team if they moved to another city? I know it would be hard but would still have to root for them. Hopefully Wilson lives until he is 150. Just want to get your guys opinion. Thanks

Tatonka
03-19-2004, 01:26 PM
no....

ArcticWildMan
03-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Nope. If they leave, my days as a Bills fan are done. Hell, my days as an NFL fan will most likely be done if that does happen.

Aero II
03-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
would you still be a fan of teh team if they moved to another city?

Moving?!?

La La La La La La La La La La

I can't hear you!

La La La La La La La La La La

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Absolutly not. In fact they would be my new most hated team and I may never watch NFL football again.

B-DON
03-19-2004, 01:33 PM
You guys would blame it on the players? I am way to big of an NFL fan to just stop watching.

mikedd74
03-19-2004, 01:38 PM
I would become a Nimrod fan

Thailog80
03-19-2004, 01:39 PM
NFW

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Thailog80
NFW

I would say that my answer is in the same lines as Thailog80.

Shiny Chicken
03-19-2004, 01:41 PM
I Would probably stop watching except for the super bowl... somehow, I think, though, that Golisano would be a major player if good ol RW were to pass on.

Isn't there some rule about owning more than one major league franchise in the same town, or something, though.

That brings up another interesting question, though... what if the team moved its stadium between Rochester and B'lo and changed the name to somehow include the entire region... kinda like the Patriots becoming the NE Patriots instead of the Boston Patriots...

Devin
03-19-2004, 01:44 PM
i would likely not. Bills aint the Bills if they are not in Buffalo.

Id likely soak up as many bills games from the past as I could to watch over and over lol.

All my family is from new Orleans so id be forced to watch the New Orleans AINTS.

ugggggggh

I was doing fine til you brought this up. thanks a lot.

LtBillsFan66
03-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Yes.

OpIv37
03-19-2004, 01:52 PM
I'd support moving the team closer to Roch cuz it would help fill the stadium, but I would not support changing the name.

If the team left Buffalo, I would not support them- it's the ultimate stab in the back to loyal fans who have suffered through bad seasons, bad weather and bad players.

But I like football too much to stop watching- I'd pick a different team, most likely the Eagles.

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2004, 01:54 PM
You guys would blame it on the players? I am way to big of an NFL fan to just stop watching.

Nope but I couldn't bear to watch them anymore. I would get too pissed!!!

zone
03-19-2004, 01:56 PM
The only move I would support would be to Roch.

If that happened they would need to keep the name. If they left western NY I would stop watching football.

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 01:57 PM
This is why the Green Bay Packers model should be looked into for the Bills. It is publicly owned so I'm not sure it can be moved unless the people want it to move. Having all the power for a football team residing with one man is bad imo.

Football in a town like Buffalo is more than just a sport. It is a lifestyle. It is all some people have aside from family and work. If that gets ripped out, the impact is far more profound than "I won't watch football". It tears apart the very fabric of that society.

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm a Buffalo Bills fan. If they aren't the Buffalo Bills anymore, I'm not a fan anymore.

dolfan25
03-19-2004, 02:09 PM
If you really wanted to piss off the owners of the moved franchise you'd all become Dolphin fans. Think that will happen? LOL

Michael82
03-19-2004, 02:13 PM
I agree with Miyagi! If they weren't in Buffalo, anymore...then they wouldn't be the Buffalo Bills. I would not be a fan of the LA Buffaloes or whatever they ****ing call them. NO WAY, no how! And my love for football would be severely tarnished. No, why did you have to bring up this ****ing topic, again? I HATE THIS TOPIC! :mad:

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-19-2004, 02:13 PM
I know this is a little premature but with the talk of Ralph Wilson getting old and the possibility of no one in the Buffalo area wanting to buy the team. My question is would you still be a fan of teh team if they moved to another city? I know it would be hard but would still have to root for them. Hopefully Wilson lives until he is 150. Just want to get your guys opinion. Thanks
Yes, I would still be a fan as I dont live in Buffalo, but if I did...

Michael82
03-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by dolfan25
If you really wanted to piss off the owners of the moved franchise you'd all become Dolphin fans. Think that will happen? LOL

NO! :mad:

If any former Bills fan became a Dolphin fan, they should be burnt at the stake! :madfire:

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by kal123
This is why the Green Bay Packers model should be looked into for the Bills. It is publicly owned so I'm not sure it can be moved unless the people want it to move. Having all the power for a football team residing with one man is bad imo.

Football in a town like Buffalo is more than just a sport. It is a lifestyle. It is all some people have aside from family and work. If that gets ripped out, the impact is far more profound than "I won't watch football". It tears apart the very fabric of that society.

That isn't allowed anymore.

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
That isn't allowed anymore.

Why?

B-DON
03-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

NO! :mad:

If any former Bills fan became a Dolphin fan, they should be burnt at the stake! :madfire:

definitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pride
03-19-2004, 02:27 PM
I would switch to Cleveland... Our sister city.

Pride
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Also, if the Bills leave, say goodbye to western NY and the city of Buffalo... 90% of the reason people stay there is either poverty or their love for the Bills.

B-DON
03-19-2004, 02:30 PM
I think living in Buffalo has a major effect on yor decisions unlike someone like me who isnt from there. Dont get me wrong i never want Buffalo to leave

Michael82
03-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Pride
Also, if the Bills leave, say goodbye to western NY and the city of Buffalo... 90% of the reason people stay there is either poverty or their love for the Bills.

I agree! That's the reason why I see a few big name people from Western NY joining hands to buy the team...

Tom Golisano
Danny Wegman
Rich Family

(dark horse) Malcolm Glazer sells the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and uses the money to buy the Buffalo Bills and keep them in Western NY.

Michael82
03-19-2004, 02:32 PM
I think living in Buffalo has a major effect on yor decisions unlike someone like me who isnt from there. Dont get me wrong i never want Buffalo to leave

Not true! If the leave Buffalo...they aren't the Buffalo Bills anymore. Their name and logo would most likely change.

B-DON
03-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Why Glazer? Any ties to western NY or Buffalo?

SABURZFAN
03-19-2004, 02:34 PM

:lmao:

you have a demented sense of humor.

B-DON
03-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Not true! If the leave Buffalo...they aren't the Buffalo Bills anymore. Their name and logo would most likely change.

obviously, but the players are still the same and cuoldnt rooy for any other players unless their Buffalo or from Buffalo

B-DON
03-19-2004, 02:37 PM
rooy=root

B-DON
03-19-2004, 02:37 PM
i meant root

Michael82
03-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Why Glazer? Any ties to western NY or Buffalo?

He's originally from Rochester. :D Just wishful thinking...but :ontome:

carybillsfan
03-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Absolutely!! But I don't live in Buffalo anymore, they will always be my favorite team.

B-DON
03-19-2004, 02:44 PM
i hope hes interested if no one else is

Gunzlingr
03-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I would not follow the team. I have never been to Buffalo (or anywhere close to it), but I wouldn't cheer a the team that used to be the Bills. God forbid, I might have to watch the Vikes :puke:

Michael82
03-19-2004, 02:49 PM
i hope hes interested if no one else is

I heard that he might be selling the Bucs sometime. If he does that...he could use the money to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. If he is interested.... :D

Michael82
03-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Gunzlingr
I would not follow the team. I have never been to Buffalo (or anywhere close to it), but I wouldn't cheer a the team that used to be the Bills. God forbid, I might have to watch the Vikes :puke:

Or you just stop watching the NFL completely. :D

OpIv37
03-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Gunzlingr

Well they are our lone company in the 4 SB losses category. But no self-respecting Bills fan should ever root for a dome team (same goes to whoever said they would root for NO).

Gunzlingr
03-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
Well they are our lone company in the 4 SB losses category. But no self-respecting Bills fan should ever root for a dome team (same goes to whoever said they would root for NO).

It is the closest team to me, unfortunately. I guess there isn't anything wrong with the chiefs, they aren't close, but I could cheer for them

Cntrygal
03-19-2004, 03:45 PM

:eek:

:puke:

The_Philster
03-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Nope...not a chance

That's sick. When the Browns went out for a few years, a large number of their fans were Bills fans until they got a new team. Why? Besides proximity, the Bills were the only team the diehards could realistically root for. Wilson and Rooney were the only owners who tried to block the move to Baltimore..and Browns fans caught rooting for the Squeelers would be shot on sight.

Why?
League by-laws put into effect a long time ago...but after the Packers situation was set up.

Originally posted by Pride
I would switch to Cleveland... Our sister city.

Probably the same thing here...though I wouldn't be a diehard like I have been with the Bills.

hemi13
03-19-2004, 03:58 PM
NO, and I'd never watch another NFL game again!!!!!!!!

Unless they moved to Syracuse or Rochester.

Fryin' The Fish
03-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Im not even going to read your post, or any of the other post for that matter. The bottom line is it doesnt matter where the team is located, what the team is called, or what there uniforms look like, to name a few things. The reasons i like the Bills is because of there players, coaches, owners and history. I started to like them because of Kelly and Reed. Now, im addicted and i will never switch favorite teams - no matter what. And if you think that you will switch teams because the move, then you arent a true fan, plain and simple.

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 06:36 PM
They wouldn't be the "Buffalo Bills" if they moved would they? So hell no I wouldn't be a fan.

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
League by-laws put into effect a long time ago...but after the Packers situation was set up.

Thanks Phil. Do you know why those by-laws were put in? I can't see why the league would not want more stability. Maybe for greed reasons? The other owners afraid of losing power?

Fryin' The Fish
03-19-2004, 06:37 PM
i dont live in buffalo, or near buffalo, so i dont have to ties most of you have, i guess.

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 06:38 PM
They wouldn't be the "Buffalo Bills" if they moved would they? So hell no I wouldn't be a fan.

Agreed. :up:

I'd probably move to my second favorite team, the Pack. Doesn't get more old-school football than the "frozen tundra". :)

LarryBoy
03-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Damn...I hate to think of this....I honestly dont know.....I'd have to really think about it for a long time. Maybe I would...maybe I would move on to my fav 2nd team, the Broncos.

BuffaloSkyMaster
03-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Why don't you ask the residents of Cleveland this question. Highly unlikely that they became Ravens fans. I believe they wanted to KILL Art Modell. :hang: Just imagine the death threats the new owners would get.

I'd follow another team.

The most of players don't care where they play. In the current era of free agency they go where the money is. ******* the players. Bunch of money hungry cry babies. Its the fans that make this game what it is.

Originally posted by Fryin' The Fish
Im not even going to read your post, or any of the other post for that matter. The bottom line is it doesnt matter where the team is located, what the team is called, or what there uniforms look like, to name a few things. The reasons i like the Bills is because of there players, coaches, owners and history. I started to like them because of Kelly and Reed. Now, im addicted and i will never switch favorite teams - no matter what. And if you think that you will switch teams because the move, then you arent a true fan, plain and simple.

Don't you dare say that we aren't true fans! After everything that Western New York has done for this organization to keep the team and Mr. Wilson happy, I would say that we would have the right to be pissed if they moved. But see you don't understand. You havent lived in Buffalo. They didn't add the tax burden on you to renovate a stadium to apease an owner. You haven't bought tickets to a game, even though you live in an economically depressed area to show your support for the BILLS. If they were to move you can take the players and the history and shove em.:madshake: :angry: :grind: :madcurse: :madfire: :banme:

socalfan
03-19-2004, 09:10 PM
I left Buffalo more than 30 years ago, and I've continued to follow the team. If they leave Buffalo, I'll still think of them as the Buffalo Bills and I will still follow them.

Novacane
03-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
Absolutly not. In fact they would be my new most hated team and I may never watch NFL football again.

Thats how I feel. I would hate them. I would still watch the NFL though.

That being said.......................I'm not to worried about them moving.

Marvelous
03-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Whos started this sad thread? This topic has always bothered me.
I'd support the team as longs as they carry the Bills name. If they start over like the Ravens did then NO...

helmetguy
03-20-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks Phil. Do you know why those by-laws were put in? I can't see why the league would not want more stability. Maybe for greed reasons? The other owners afraid of losing power?

Before the AFL/NFL merger in 1970, the NFL had basically a "Gentleman's Agreement" with regard to Ownership Policy. In order to attain uniformity within the expanded League after the merger, they had to commit this policy to formal League Charter. The four principle provision are:

-No Corporate Ownership
-No Public Ownership
-51% Ownership Rule: One person must have at least a 51% share in the team's ownership, so that franchise control is vested in a single individual. (One voice speaks for the franchise in all League Mmatters).
-No Cross-Ownership: Owners of NFL franchises are not permitted to have financial interest in any other professional sports entity. The other sports entities are seen as in competition with the NFL for sports entertainment revenues and would pose a conflict of interest in dealing with League matters.

Green Bay's public ownership was approved as an exception because, at the time, there were no prospective buyers for the Packers interested in keeping the franchise in Green Bay.

As far as the 51% Rule, while Al Davis does not hold 51% of the Oakland Raiders' shares, he, through a convoluted agreement with the then principle owners (Wayne Valley and Ed McGah) was positioned as "President of the Managing General Partner," and, thus, would be the Raiders' voice in all League matters.

Tom Golisano might be a possible suitor for the Bills if they ever are on the market. If he were to be approved by the other 31 owners, he would have to eventually divest himself of any financial interest in the Buffalo Sabers.

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
-No Cross-Ownership: Owners of NFL franchises are not permitted to have financial interest in any other professional sports entity. The other sports entities are seen as in competition with the NFL for sports entertainment revenues and would pose a conflict of interest in dealing with League matters.

The exception to that rule is the Arena Football League

Green Bay's public ownership was approved as an exception because, at the time, there were no prospective buyers for the Packers interested in keeping the franchise in Green Bay.

Well, it was back in 1923 and a public non-profit organization was set up to operate the club so that Curly Lambeau, who had grown broke partially due to poor attendance at the games in 1922, could concentrate on managing and coaching the team.

Goobylal
03-20-2004, 09:07 AM
The no cross-ownership thing is no longer in effect. There are several NFL owners who also own other pro franchises, like Paul Allen, Wayne Hi-zinger, etc. As for who will own the Bills after Wilson dies, it will probably be Golisano. He's using the Sabres as an audition for the NFL as we speak. And if he was willing to take on a money-loser like the Sabres, he's a shoo-in to take on the Bills, who are guaranteed to make money because of the CBA.

helmetguy
03-20-2004, 09:10 AM
The exception to that rule is the Arena Football League

Well, it was back in 1923 and a public non-profit organization was set up to operate the club so that Curly Lambeau, who had grown broke partially due to poor attendance at the games in 1922, could concentrate on managing and coaching the team.

How is the Arena League an exception?

As far as the Packers, when the AFL/NFL merger was being considered, their public ownership was seen as a possible difficulty to the in-coming AFL owners. Also, in devising the Policy, Green Bay's situation was "Grandfathered," since a suitable single entity could be found to purchase the outstanding shares. From the point of the merger on, public franchise ownership was prohibited.

PhinPhreak
03-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Fryin' The Fish

I have always wondered about this since the Browns left Cleveland, if The Fins moved why would I care, I live in Rochester(other then the fact that when I go to a game it's a hell of alot nicer to travel to Florida then say Minnesota or GB).

The players are still the same players I have been rooting for for years, does this mean that if the Bills move then all of a suden these players that you have gotten excited about and at times bragged about would all of a sudden mean nothing to you, perhaps even now suck in some fans eyes?

To me yes it would be strange calling them by a different name, and really suck having to by new merchandise but again I have too many years invested in rooting for them to just stop overnight.

Again I do understand to the Fans that live in Buffalo or the surronding area.

STAMPY
03-20-2004, 10:45 AM
i'd still love them as i don't live in buffalo, i'm from long island

BillyT92679
03-20-2004, 11:02 AM
The Bills to me are Upstate NY. The players and coaches come and go. The uniforms change. But the fact that this team, this institution is one of the last bastions of upstate NY success is something that people who are A. Not from the area, or B. Emigrated from the area a long time ago, cannot truly grasp. I will be honest, if the Bills left UNY, I not only would change affiliations, but I would seriously consider leaving this area. UNY's economy has been likened to the Appalachian region of the US. This area, especially Buffalo/Niagara, is rapidly losing population. There is not much that would keep me here, but the BUFFALO Bills are one thing that is. My loyalty is less to the franchise itself, than it is to the concept of having an NFL franchise in my native region. The Bills are my home region team.
They Bills live near me, and shop in the same types of stores that I shop in; when I am in the Buffalo area they shop at the same stores. The Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and are now the LA Clippers. I am pretty sure that most people who supported the Braves back in the day are not exactly the biggest Clipper fans in the world.

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 11:34 AM
How is the Arena League an exception?

The NFL made an allowance for NFL owners to own AFL teams because the Arena League and the NFL are in a partnership. That allowance went into effect in 1998. How do you think Jerry Jones got away with buying the Dallas Desperadoes?

helmetguy
03-20-2004, 12:58 PM
The NFL made an allowance for NFL owners to own AFL teams because the Arena League and the NFL are in a partnership. That allowance went into effect in 1998. How do you think Jerry Jones got away with buying the Dallas Desperadoes?

That's what I meant. That one slipped by me.

Mr. Cynical
03-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the history. :)

Too bad though, because I think it needs to be an option. As I mentioned, football in some places (Green Bay, Buffalo) is more than just a sport. It is the cornerstone of that society. As such it should be protected from greedy owners and/or legitimate bad financial situations forcing them to move.

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 03:27 PM

from (http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.georgiaforce.com%2Fsport%2FLeagueHistory%2520Timeline.pdf) Page 2

On Feb. 8, 1999, the NFL agreed to purchase an exclusive option to acquire an equity interest in the AFL. The
option can be exercised over the next 18 months and would give the NFL a minority ownership interest (up to 49.9%) in the
AFL and a voice in the operation of the league (subject to approval of NFL owners). The alliance between the NFL and the
AFL began on June 3, 1998, when the AFL Board of Directors approved the application of New Orleans Saints owner Tom
Benson to place a team in New Orleans. NFL bylaws previously prohibited NFL owners from investing in other football
leagues or teams, but an amendment to NFL rules was adopted on May 22, 1998, allowing an exception for AFL teams in an
NFL club's own market.

socalfan
03-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
The Bills to me are Upstate NY. The players and coaches come and go. The uniforms change. But the fact that this team, this institution is one of the last bastions of upstate NY success is something that people who are A. Not from the area, or B. Emigrated from the area a long time ago, cannot truly grasp. I will be honest, if the Bills left UNY, I not only would change affiliations, but I would seriously consider leaving this area. UNY's economy has been likened to the Appalachian region of the US. This area, especially Buffalo/Niagara, is rapidly losing population. There is not much that would keep me here, but the BUFFALO Bills are one thing that is. My loyalty is less to the franchise itself, than it is to the concept of having an NFL franchise in my native region. The Bills are my home region team.
They Bills live near me, and shop in the same types of stores that I shop in; when I am in the Buffalo area they shop at the same stores. The Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and are now the LA Clippers. I am pretty sure that most people who supported the Braves back in the day are not exactly the biggest Clipper fans in the world.

I'm a Clipper fan.....I hate the Lakers.

The Spaz
03-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by socalfan

I'm a Clipper fan.....I hate the Lakers.

Yes but you also live in California. I think th epoint was if you still live in or around Buffalo you're not a big fan of the Clippers.

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Yes but you also live in California. I think th epoint was if you still live in or around Buffalo you're not a big fan of the Clippers.

Even when I was following the NBA I was :lolpoint: Clippers

helmetguy
03-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Nice find, Phil. There must have been some relaxing of the other cross ownership rule, too. It was a pretty hot topic for quite a long time. Initially, it was the concern that owners' allegiances might be divided in a way that would detract from their efforts in promoting the NFL. The other major concern over the possibility that an owner of another professional franchise used the health and profitability to maintain a floundering investment in another league, and ruining both in the process. Then, again this resolution was part of a Supplemental Merger agreement. After Rozelle retired, it is possible that Tagliabue had a less restrictive approach to it. I'm still looking for specific information on that.

Demon
03-20-2004, 08:49 PM
If the Bills leave Buffalo, i would quit football. Oviously i would watch the Super Bowl, but alot of people watch the super bowl and theres alot more reasons then just the games and teams. I'd watch the game, but also be motivated to go for the commercials and the drinking.

No Bills and i would stop watching football. Simple as that. Jumping on another team's wagon is not even an opinion for me.

helmetguy
03-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey, Phil? If the unthinkable ever DID happen, do you think Connolly would buy us OUR first Browns' hats?

TigerJ
03-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Tough question. I wouldn't be able to watch them without feeling at least a little betrayed. I honestly don't know. Of course, some day it's likely I will leave western NY too, for warmer climes. The revolution in communications is likely to continue so that wherever I live, and wherever the Bills play, it will be as easy to see games as it is now with them in my own back yard.

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Then, again this resolution was part of a Supplemental Merger agreement.
That right there is the real reason behind it from what I remember....because of the partnership. I remembered hearing about it when it went into effect since I was getting ready to follow the Arena League Destroyers (shut up, Mikey and BF1!!!). When I started looking up data on league history for my research paper, I found that link.

Hey, Phil? If the unthinkable ever DID happen, do you think Connolly would buy us OUR first Browns' hats?

He better. :club: :D

Michael82
03-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Hey Phil.... :snicker:

http://www.arenafootball.com/images/teamicon_rightcol_columbus.gif

Michael82
03-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Weren't these the Buffalo cheerleaders, too? :snicker:

http://www.columbusdestroyers.com/fan/bombshells.php

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Phil http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/contrib/sarge/BoomSmilie_anim.gif Mikey

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Weren't these the Buffalo cheerleaders, too? :snicker:

http://www.columbusdestroyers.com/fan/bombshells.php

:shakeno: The Buffalo Bombshells did not move to Columbus...a few of them moved on to the Buffalo Bandettes and Sabre Ice Girls and a few even became Buffalo Jills

BillsFever
03-20-2004, 09:53 PM
If they moved out of Buffalo then I wouldn't be a fan anymore. It just wouldn't be the same. I'd just become a fan of the NFL and if I found the love for another team then I would root them on.

I'd probably end up a Browns or Steelers fan if that would ever happen. Lets just hope we're never faced with that decision.

Bert102176
03-20-2004, 10:23 PM
if they leave I would look at it as a stab in the back to all their fans and buffalo, so no It would be hard but I would find a new team

imbondz
03-20-2004, 10:40 PM
I hate this topic :up:

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 12:55 AM
my best friend is a browns fan.. has been since we were both very young..

when the browns moved to baltimore.. he literally hated all the players and the owner.. he actually hates them worse than any other team in the nfl.. and when they won the superbowl.. oh my god.. he could have died.. he was upset.. and i dont just mean pissed.. i mean hurt.. it just shut him down for like a week.. much worse than the bills losing 4 superbowls did to me.. although the first one was pretty close..

i would have to say that i would feel the same.. and i dont live in buffalo.. but there is a quote from the movie "Miracle" that comes to mind..

"when you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important that the one on the back."

i love that quote.. and you get the point of it.. i know it would be the same players.. but it just would not be the buffalo bills.. it would be an expansion team.. and regardless of if it was the players fault or not.. they are no longer the ones that play for the team i love.. and that is why i root for them.. i wouldnt necessarily wish for henry or moulds or spikes to do bad.. but i wouldnt pull for them either..

i would probably root for cleveland.. but damn.. the are almost as bad as the friggen cards right now as far as the decisions they make with personel.. that would be tough, although i think that the kind of team they are is alot like the bills.. i like seattle, denver, and atlanta .. mainly because my keepers in my big money fantasy league are on those teams.. but overall.. i would never be diehard again.. i would probably just watch the nfl like i do when the bills are on a bye week.. for fantasy purposes.

Mr. Cynical
03-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i like seattle, denver, and atlanta .. mainly because my keepers in my big money fantasy league are on those teams.. but overall.. i would never be diehard again.. i would probably just watch the nfl like i do when the bills are on a bye week.. for fantasy purposes.

This is actually a good point. Fantasy leagues keep growing at geometric rates, due to the ease in which you can run one online, e.g., Yahoo! Sports, ESPN Fantasy, etc. I know I have watched a helluva lot more footbal since I started playing a few years ago. I mean, before that, you couldn't PAY me to watch a Giants/Cardinals game. But last year I had Boldin/Toomer and watched like a hawk. ;)

But seriously, I do think that fantasy leagues help football more than hurt. Yeah, people get focused on rooting for players for self gain, but it does help lessen the blow (a bit, anyway) when your team is sucking a**. Before fantasy, if the Bills were looking ugly, I couldn't watch any football....

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 01:44 AM
i agree... 10 years ago.. it was bills games only.. and if they lost the tv got turned off..

Goobylal
03-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Don't worry folks, the Bills aren't going anywhere. Fortunately there are enough local tycoons with the money and desire to own the Bills. Once the NFL fills the LA market with the Colts, the Bills are home-free.

Michael82
03-21-2004, 09:01 AM
:shakeno: The Buffalo Bombshells did not move to Columbus...a few of them moved on to the Buffalo Bandettes and Sabre Ice Girls and a few even became Buffalo Jills

No, i'm saying that they took the Bombshell name. :shakeno:

:angry:ing Hamister!!! I HATE HIM!!! :mad:

The_Philster
03-21-2004, 09:03 AM
No, i'm saying that they took the Bombshell name. :shakeno:

They'll still be Columbus girls...not Buffalo women..always second-rate to the original Bombshells like Trendichick.

Michael82
03-21-2004, 09:04 AM
They'll still be Columbus girls...not Buffalo women..always second-rate to the original Bombshells like Trendichick.

True, but i can't believe they stole the name. :shakeno:

BTW, because they kept the Destroyer name and there is no Buffalo in it...their logo really sucks. It just says Destroyers. Cheesy. :shakeno:

The_Philster
03-21-2004, 09:06 AM
True, but i can't believe they stole the name. :shakeno:

BTW, because they kept the Destroyer name and there is no Buffalo in it...their logo really sucks. It just says Destroyers. Cheesy. :shakeno:

They should've changed the name entirely. Buffalo doesn't fit so putting a Buffalo in their logo doesn't work...and is there a Navy destroyer sitting outside of the arena in Columbus like there is near HSBC? I don't think so. :shakeno:

The Spaz
03-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Thank god Hammister didn't get the Sabres!:eek:

Michael82
03-21-2004, 09:54 AM
They should've changed the name entirely. Buffalo doesn't fit so putting a Buffalo in their logo doesn't work...and is there a Navy destroyer sitting outside of the arena in Columbus like there is near HSBC? I don't think so. :shakeno:

i agree. i was surprised that the ******* kept the same name. it just doesn't work. oh well..... **** HIM!!!!! :mad:

Michael82
03-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Thank god Hammister didn't get the Sabres!:eek:

Actually I wonder what he would've done if he won the Sabres. Something tells me he would've kept the Destroyers in Buffalo and maybe even the Brigade in Rochester. He pulled them out because of fan attendance, but also because he was pissed at the Buffalo lawmakers for not helping him enough to get the Sabres. :shakeno:

imbondz
03-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
my best friend is a browns fan.. has been since we were both very young..

when the browns moved to baltimore.. he literally hated all the players and the owner.. he actually hates them worse than any other team in the nfl.. and when they won the superbowl.. oh my god.. he could have died.. he was upset.. and i dont just mean pissed.. i mean hurt.. it just shut him down for like a week.. much worse than the bills losing 4 superbowls did to me.. although the first one was pretty close..

i would have to say that i would feel the same.. and i dont live in buffalo.. but there is a quote from the movie "Miracle" that comes to mind..

"when you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important that the one on the back."

i love that quote.. and you get the point of it.. i know it would be the same players.. but it just would not be the buffalo bills.. it would be an expansion team.. and regardless of if it was the players fault or not.. they are no longer the ones that play for the team i love.. and that is why i root for them.. i wouldnt necessarily wish for henry or moulds or spikes to do bad.. but i wouldnt pull for them either..

i would probably root for cleveland.. but damn.. the are almost as bad as the friggen cards right now as far as the decisions they make with personel.. that would be tough, although i think that the kind of team they are is alot like the bills.. i like seattle, denver, and atlanta .. mainly because my keepers in my big money fantasy league are on those teams.. but overall.. i would never be diehard again.. i would probably just watch the nfl like i do when the bills are on a bye week.. for fantasy purposes.

I've always felt bad for Browns fans. You can't get more screwed by the NFL than they did. It's hard when any team moves, but to disappear like the Cleveland Browns did was horrible. Same w/ the Houston Oilers. When the L.A. Rams moved to St.Louis, I know Rams fans who were devastated. And their SuperBowl win was a minor consolation. Still not the same though as the Ravens winning.

btw, that line in Miracle was great. My favorite scene - coming right after the coach disciplined them crazy, is when Mike Eruzione says, "my name is Mike Eruzione, and I play for the United States of America." I almost lost it :wail:

Demon
03-21-2004, 01:58 PM

Actually I wonder what he would've done if he won the Sabres. Something tells me he would've kept the Destroyers in Buffalo and maybe even the Brigade in Rochester. He pulled them out because of fan attendance, but also because he was pissed at the Buffalo lawmakers for not helping him enough to get the Sabres. :shakeno:

I'm happy with Tommy G as the Sabres owner anyways.

Michael82
03-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Demon
I'm happy with Tommy G as the Sabres owner anyways.

me too!

bills_7
03-21-2004, 07:52 PM
if they moved to toronto i would still be a bills fan

GO LEAFS GO!!!

The Spaz
03-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by bills_7
if they moved to toronto i would still be a bills fan

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Of course you woulf you liv in Canada. Beside Canada has a hard enough time keeping hockey.

bills_7
03-21-2004, 07:58 PM
eh u should luv leaf fans the only time u sell out the HSBC is when the leaf fans come and sell it out for ya guys :jk:

The Spaz
03-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bills_7
eh u should luv leaf fans the only time u sell out the HSBC is when the leaf fans come and sell it out for ya guys :jk:

Who gets the money?:snicker:

bills_7
03-21-2004, 08:02 PM
i think an NFL team would do good in Torotno im sure it could work.... but i luv my bills so either way i could care less