PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly/Drew Bledsoe

Bled2Hen
03-19-2004, 03:45 PM
I was thinking. I know that Marv, let Jim Kelly call his own plays. It worked out pretty damn good for us. I was just wondering, why dont we let D-Bled, call his own plays. I think that he should. Plus when you are on the field, there is a lot of input from the players on what they think will work and what would'nt on the next play. IMO, I think the players know best! I know this is a long shot from happening, but I wouldnt mine seeing Bledsoe given the chance at this.

The_Philster
03-19-2004, 04:09 PM
:welcome: to the Zone...Newbie has to buy the next round :beer: :D

Anyway, I don't see it happening. Kelly was a special breed...was more of a leader and his teammates would follow him to hell because they knew he'd lead them back. You need a QB who earns that kind of respect to be able to call his own plays. Why? If his teammates don't have that much faith in him (like they did with Kelly), the coaches won't either.

bills_7
03-19-2004, 04:17 PM
im not so sure i want drew calling the plays.... lol

lets just leave that job to the coaches

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Bled2Hen
I was thinking. I know that Marv, let Jim Kelly call his own plays. It worked out pretty damn good for us. I was just wondering, why dont we let D-Bled, call his own plays. I think that he should. Plus when you are on the field, there is a lot of input from the players on what they think will work and what would'nt on the next play. IMO, I think the players know best! I know this is a long shot from happening, but I wouldnt mine seeing Bledsoe given the chance at this.

Welcome to the Zone!

...and...

WORST. IDEA. EVER. ;)

He can't even read the D when he has the plays called for him, so I shudder to think what would happen if the plays depended on his "stellar" ability to make decisions. :eek:

helmetguy
03-19-2004, 04:23 PM
The idea isn't so farfetched. What made "K-Gun" so effective was that it didn't use a lot of situational personnel groupings or a lot of intricate blocking schemes. The quicker tempo helped to limit a defense's ability to substitute according to down and distance situations. The best part about it was that it was genius in its simplicity. It has been said many times, by a number of commentators, that Bledsoe seems to operate better with a faster tempo, as in the two-minute drill.

At the risk of starting another debate, take a look at New England's offensive scheme. Nothing very complicated about it. Each receiver runs one route each play. Protections are mostly zone blocking, and no play takes very long to develop. On many ways, it resembles "K-Gun" at a slower tempo. While Kelly was, indeed, a special breed, remember that, when he first came to Buffalo, he had to unlearn the "Run-and-Shoot" schemes used by the Houston Gamblers; a scheme that got him pummeled, by the way.

Just a thought, though.

BillsFever
03-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah, them amazing Drew audibles have really worked out. Lets hand the entire playcalling over to him.

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
The idea isn't so farfetched. What made "K-Gun" so effective was that it didn't use a lot of situational personnel groupings or a lot of intricate blocking schemes. The quicker tempo helped to limit a defense's ability to substitute according to down and distance situations. The best part about it was that it was genius in its simplicity. It has been said many times, by a number of commentators, that Bledsoe seems to operate better with a faster tempo, as in the two-minute drill.

At the risk of starting another debate, take a look at New England's offensive scheme. Nothing very complicated about it. Each receiver runs one route each play. Protections are mostly zone blocking, and no play takes very long to develop. On many ways, it resembles "K-Gun" at a slower tempo. While Kelly was, indeed, a special breed, remember that, when he first came to Buffalo, he had to unlearn the "Run-and-Shoot" schemes used by the Houston Gamblers; a scheme that got him pummeled, by the way.

Just a thought, though.

You risked it, you got it. ;)

I understand (and agree with) what you are saying, but a QB who calls his own plays need to have a "commander" presence. He can't hesitate or second guess himself. He has to make quick and accurate decisions without question. He has to understand defenses better than most. He has to have the ability to keep other playes in line and laser-focused. Do you really think Drew has ever fit this description in his 11 years?

As for the two minute drill, I agree he looks "better". But remember that when you are using the 2 minute, defenses are typically in prevent mode. That wouldn't be the case most of the time during a game.

But hey, if we are 100% stuck with him, I guess anything is worth a shot. He couldn't do any worse than he has for the last 1.5 years. I hope not, anyway.

helmetguy
03-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Glad you brought that up, kal. Yes, in "two- minute drill" defenses do, indeed, play in a prevent mode; primarily because "two-minute" the goal is to get lots of yards real fast, i.e. pass, pass, then pass again. Although "K-Gun" resembled "two-minute" in tempo, it also had a strong rush element to it. Over the course of a game, a defense playing "prevent" will get eaten alive by the running game.

Again, the effectiveness of "K-Gun" was that, out of any formation, there was the threat of run OR pass, and the number of actual plays involved was relatively small. Whereas the offense Gilbride tried to install-a hybrid of "Run and Shoot" and "West Coast"-has a playbook resembling the IRS Tax Code, the "K-Gun" playbook would look like a news magazine, in contrast. By limiting the number of reads a QB has to make, the more decisive he can be in making the play. And, even though Kelly did have the bulk of the playcalling responsibilities during the better share of a game, Marchibroda and Levy took charge of playcalling in short yardage/goal line situations. Of course, nothing says that, even with a quicker tempo, the OC would necessarily have to delegate the playcalling to the QB.

The_Philster
03-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by kal123
Do you really think Drew has ever fit this description in his 11 years?

Nope...Few QBs ever fit that mold, IMO.

OpIv37
03-19-2004, 07:08 PM
last year, I would have been for it because Gilbride can't call a play to save his life (or his career). This year, I'd say we need to see what the coaches have in mind.

mybills
03-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Funniest thread ever. I can't stop laughing! Help!!! :rofl:

Ickybaluky
03-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Bledsoe actually did a not of no-huddle stuff under Zampese and Carroll. He actually does do better in the no huddle sometimes because he is a streaky guy. When he gets in a nice pace running the no-huddle he can move the ball downfield in a hurry and put up good numbers.

Unfortunately, when he gets on a bad streak going no huddle just means he can suck faster.

socalfan
03-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Well if he calls the plays, you may as well bench the running backs...cause they won't ever see the ball again.

Bert102176
03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
I think if we get Rivers then we could cause I think he is a smart QB like Kelly was where Bledsoe isn't and holds on to the ball to long

Bert102176
03-20-2004, 12:23 AM
but Rivers would have to have experience first

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176
but Rivers would have to have experience first

You can't be serious. You want to give the offensive responsibilities to a rookie? I hope you are joking.

I don't think Kelly was brilliant in football. It was just the fact that his best game was backyard football. He also had some great talent around him. It was like he wrote the plays in the dirt each time he went into the huddle. It worked in the sytem the Bills played at the time. To me, Kelly seemed to be one of the best at reading defenses and he also got the best out of the players around him.

helmetguy
03-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
You can't be serious. You want to give the offensive responsibilities to a rookie? I hope you are joking.

I don't think Kelly was brilliant in football. It was just the fact that his best game was backyard football. He also had some great talent around him. It was like he wrote the plays in the dirt each time he went into the huddle. It worked in the sytem the Bills played at the time. To me, Kelly seemed to be one of the best at reading defenses and he also got the best out of the players around him.

Like I said, the whole concept of "K-Gun" was genius in its simplicity. Kelly was notorious for holding the ball quite a bit longer than the average QB (believe it or not), which is why he took such a pounding in the USFL. As simple as "K-Gun" was, everything was very precise; everyone had one place to go and one job to do on every play, making the reads easier and limited the decision making on Kelly's part. This should not, in any way, be taken to be a knock on Kelly. He was one tough bastard.

Novacane
03-20-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
Yeah, them amazing Drew audibles have really worked out. Lets hand the entire playcalling over to him.

:lol:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy

Like I said, the whole concept of "K-Gun" was genius in its simplicity. Kelly was notorious for holding the ball quite a bit longer than the average QB (believe it or not), which is why he took such a pounding in the USFL. As simple as "K-Gun" was, everything was very precise; everyone had one place to go and one job to do on every play, making the reads easier and limited the decision making on Kelly's part. This should not, in any way, be taken to be a knock on Kelly. He was one tough bastard.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks.