PDA

View Full Version : Banniser leaves, but could draw an offer...

Ickybaluky
03-20-2004, 07:36 AM
According to the Seattle Times:

"Bannister left Buffalo on Thursday night after spending two days meeting with Bills coaches and executives, and visits with other teams next week are in the works."

The article says another team could be involved, and suggests it is Baltimore:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2001883726_hawk20.html

TigerJ
03-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Since Baltimore lost out on Terrill Owens, that makes some sense. Baltimore has deep pockets in cap terms. If it comes down to dollars and cents, Buffalo is not going to outbid the Ravens.

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 11:16 AM
:pray:

hopefully we get him.. so we dont have to draft anyone.

The Spaz
03-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
:pray:

hopefully we get him.. so we dont have to draft anyone.

YEah I want this guy as well could be a legit WR as well as a fierce competitor on special teams. On a sidenote the Texans have signed Mark Bruener to a 3 year deal so that's one less option we have at a free agent.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_185442.html

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 11:23 AM
damn that sucks.

mypoorfriendme
03-20-2004, 12:27 PM
why will he fill our need for WR again? hes never done anything in his career at reciever. i think hed just be the replacement for sammy morris and maybe take over the special teams captain. but even thats a stretch because of coy wire

mypoorfriendme
03-20-2004, 12:28 PM
at reciever though, no way hes even top 4 on the depth chart as of now, even before the draft

moulds, reed, shaw, aiken

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
at reciever though, no way hes even top 4 on the depth chart as of now, even before the draft

moulds, reed, shaw, aiken

i say him because he has great size at 6'5" and he runs a 4.4.. i dont think we need a wr at all really.. but for everyone clamoring about us needing a "deep threat" he fits the bill.. no pun intended..

he hasnt done much in the nfl because of the 3 great wrs he has been playing behind.. jackson, robinson, and engram.. there is no way he unseats one of them.. but he would be a huge asset to us on st after losing polk and morris who were our st aces.. and now that wire is our starting fs.. i am not so sure that it is wise to have him in all the time on kickoffs and punts.. maybe just in crucial situations..

plus, he is past that 3 year hump for wrs in the nfl..

no one that we could draft has done squat in the nfl either...

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 01:00 PM
bannister used to be a track guy while in college.. he was a very raw prospect. he stated in his interview posted over at bb.com that he was clocked at a 4.22 and a 4.31 at his workouts.. average of a 4.28..

he also ran a 4.4 at the combine..

the guy has major speed.

while at eastern kentucky, he NEVER had a wr coach.. and he was new to the position.. so these last three years in the nfl have been his first with a wr coach EVER.. his character is a huge asset too.. i went to the seahawks boards, and they were almost all in agreeance that the guy was the most dedicated on the team.. you can hear it in his interview as well..

i think that he could be a big big pick up and has passed that intoduction into the nfl.. and he is a pro bowl special teamer to boot.. which we could really use..

that is alot more than we could get with any wr we draft in the 5th round.. but that is just my opinion.

mypoorfriendme
03-20-2004, 01:15 PM
i dont care how fast his forty time is or how tall he is, he is obviously not that good of a reciever. sure he is a legitament special teams player but no way will he answer our WR "needs" just because he can run sub-4.3 doesnt mean hes an awesome reciever. people rely too much on size and speed and ignoe performance. how many catches has he had in his 3 nfl seasons?

mypoorfriendme
03-20-2004, 01:16 PM
and oh, he will be playing behind 4 good recievers in buffalo

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 02:15 PM
i dont care how fast his forty time is or how tall he is, he is obviously not that good of a reciever. sure he is a legitament special teams player but no way will he answer our WR "needs" just because he can run sub-4.3 doesnt mean hes an awesome reciever. people rely too much on size and speed and ignoe performance. how many catches has he had in his 3 nfl seasons?

look.. seattle doesnt run alot of 4 wr sets.. they keep a TE in (mili or stevens) to help block for the one back set when they go to a spread offense.. he was a young kid who could not crack their line up of 3 wrs, which is much better than ours.. he needed coaching and time.. and he is right at the point where he could start to come into his own..

bannister was a raw prospect and needed time to get his feet wet.. if you want to look at his stats for his first three years and judge him by that.. then fine.. do that will every player.. i am sure you would be a great gm with that attitude.

dont give me that crap about you dont care what speed or size he has.. because that is all everyone is talking about when they say we need another deep threat.. bannister could provide that..

and we need a st guy as well.. unless you think that special teams are not important as well.

he has as much if not more upside that coleman, aikens, and brown.. and more so that shaw..

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 02:17 PM
players are just like the stock market in FA..

buy low, sell high..

this guy is relatively low, but young with alot of potential.. and should be coming into his own as soon as this year..

Goobylal
03-20-2004, 02:44 PM
I'd echo Tat's words on Bannister not cracking the lineup. The kid has been a stud on ST's for the past 2 years at least, and given the Hawks had Robinson, Jackson, and Engram, 3 proven WR's, there was no way he was going to get the 3rd spot, again seeing as how they're at most a 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE offense.

mypoorfriendme
03-20-2004, 02:47 PM
dont you think if he was really a good deep threat, seattle might have tried to utilize him once or twice? just because he might be the number 4 reciever doesnt mean its illegal for him to sub in once in a while with any of them.

and im not judging him by his first three years i just wouldnt get all excited over him because he hasnt done anything yet. usually the good, "deep threat" recievers do take time to develop, but usually the good "deep threat" recievers have more than an average yards per catch of less than 8 and a half yards in their first three years. :\

mypoorfriendme
03-20-2004, 02:51 PM
oh wow....my stats were wrong. some problem on bb.com i guess, but assuming NFL.com's stats are accurate, its atleast not his avg that im scared of, its his catches....hahaha. 7 catches in three seasons, wow this guy must be awesome. or maybe theres something in the seattle reciever's contracts that say if youre top 3 on the depth chart you dont get subbed out under any circumstances

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 05:32 PM
dont you think if he was really a good deep threat, seattle might have tried to utilize him once or twice? just because he might be the number 4 reciever doesnt mean its illegal for him to sub in once in a while with any of them.

and im not judging him by his first three years i just wouldnt get all excited over him because he hasnt done anything yet. usually the good, "deep threat" recievers do take time to develop, but usually the good "deep threat" recievers have more than an average yards per catch of less than 8 and a half yards in their first three years. :\

oh wow....my stats were wrong. some problem on bb.com i guess, but assuming NFL.com's stats are accurate, its atleast not his avg that im scared of, its his catches....hahaha. 7 catches in three seasons, wow this guy must be awesome. or maybe theres something in the seattle reciever's contracts that say if youre top 3 on the depth chart you dont get subbed out under any circumstances

ok.. it is obvious that you have never seen him play.. and your giving a critique on a guy that you know nothing about.. thats fine.. this is like trying to argue bledsoe points with saviorbledsoe.. i am not gonna talk to a brick wall..

so on that note.. your right.. he only has 7 catches.. he could offer nothing to this team.. he will never be anything.. all our bottom recievers are way better than him. coleman has had alot more than 7 catches.. he is gonna be a stud.

Goobylal
03-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Actually, who ever said that the Hawks were trying to use Bannister as a dead threat? Robinson has speed to burn (4.45), and Jackson is no slouch either. And both had much more experience than Bannister, who was basically a ST's player while he learned how to play WR in the NFL. I say give him a contract and bring him in. Shaw would make a great #4 WR.

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Goobylal
Actually, who ever said that the Hawks were trying to use Bannister as a dead threat? Robinson has speed to burn (4.45), and Jackson is no slouch either. And both had much more experience than Bannister, who was basically a ST's player while he learned how to play WR in the NFL. I say give him a contract and bring him in. Shaw would make a great #4 WR.

no sense in explaining that goo.. MPFM saw the stats on nfl.com.. he knows the whole story now.

B-DON
03-20-2004, 07:19 PM
How would it hurt to bring him in? if he was a rookie you all wuold be drooling to get him wit a late round pick?

kgun12
03-20-2004, 07:29 PM

:confused: This is coming from a guy that has McGaHee for an avitar? What has he done and with your thinking we should have never drafted him (which I would agree with) and he should be cut.

If this guy really has a 4.4 or better time I know he will see playing time with the Bills,! I don't think any of our top 3 run that fast! If nothing esle he WILL stretch the defense.

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
How would it hurt to bring him in? if he was a rookie you all wuold be drooling to get him wit a late round pick?

that is the point i was trying to make.. the guy is probably right now finally at the point where alot of these big name 1st round receivers are, in terms of knowing the position.. because he only played wr for a few years in college and never had a WR coach.. he said he used to report to the RB coach.. rofl..

he has 3 years under his belt and has already shown his willingness to contribute on st.. by being one of the best at what he does.. his work ethic is great. hell.. how hard would it be just to make a roster if you barely knew how to play your position in the nfl.. he did that for 3 years and moved up to the 4th wr behind 3 very good wrs..

i just like the guy.. and he is a huge target (would be the biggest on our team) and he is fast as hell (would be the fastest on our team, because we would probably cut brown to fit bannister in)... and he would be a nice option to have after drew has put us in the hole by 14 points because of his INTs.. and we have to launch the ball.