X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

The Jeff Smoker Profile

this is one of the better write ups i have seen..

i like this kid alot, as many of you know, and he could be had in the 4th round probably. he reminds me alot of phillip rivers.. not throwing style.. he has a better arm.. but in accuracy and field smarts.

i wont be disappointed one bit if he is the only qb pick up we make in this draft... grab another vet like blake or whoever to sit behind bledsoe this year, to cover for a worst case sencario.. so the rookie doesnt have to get tossed to the fire.

NFL Draft most accurate mock drafts most accurate big board.

Jeff Smoker QB Michigan St

Strengths
    Jeff is a very good QB whose skills translate to the NFL very well. He is a leader and has earned the respect of his teammates and coaches. He has a good arm and moves well in the pocket. He is not afraid to make decisions on or off the field.

Needs to Improve
    Jeff needs to continue his fight to define his worth as not just a football player, but as a productive human being whose value to his friends and loved ones is measured more by his actions off the field.

Bottom Line
    I get a lot of e-mails that say I have a little different style to my profiles. At first, I didn’t understand what people were talking about. As I was formulating Jeff's profile, it hit me. I look at the business side of the draft. I have managed a business for years and my look at a player is not just talent, but also from the point of view of handing a physically talented kid millions of dollars over the life of a contract and how that might affect the play of that player on the field. This is the concern with Jeff. Lord knows he has the talent to play in the NFL. What round you take a player in does not affect how well he plays on the field. It affects one thing only -- how much money you are willing to invest in a player compared with his projected worth to a team as a starter or a backup. I don’t think there’s any question of Jeff's potential as a starter or possibly, impact player. Jeff has the talent to be a first day pick. He has talent equal to, or better than, Drew Brees. Jeff, to his credit, has come forward in a very public manner and addressed his problem. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that. Whether he is picked the first day or not will not be decided here. The NFL teams that check him out will decide that. In any other draft, he would be a player that teams would be drooling over. There are so many developmental QB’s in this draft that Jeff might get lost in the shuffle and not be selected until the second day. Some team is going to find themselves one hell of a QB. Be patient, Jeff, you will be rewarded on draft day with being one of only 300 players to be chosen to play in the NFL. That is an honor in itself no matter what round you are drafted.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Jeff Smoker

Veteran quarterback seeks full reinstatement to the active roster in 2003…suspended for the last five games of the 2002 season after admitting a substance abuse problem…participated in spring drills but was not allowed to compete for the starting job…completed 27-of-46 passes (.587) for 327 yards and three touchdowns in four spring scrimmages…completed eight-of-16 throws for 118 yards, including a 29-yard TD strike to Jason Randall, in the April 19 scrimmage…plays his best when the game is on the line…has a knack for making things happen because he remains cool under pressure…already ranks among MSU’s all-time leaders in total yards (second with 5,435), passing yards (third with 5,537), touchdown passes (fourth with 40), pass completions (fifth with 383), pass attempts (sixth with 662) and completion percentage (seventh at .579)…needs only 122 total yards in 2003 to overtake Ed Smith (1976-78) and become Michigan State’s career leader in total offense…has 13 career 200-yard passing games…has compiled a 13-11 record in 24 career starts.

Comment

• the dude
      • Jul 2003

Funny u picked that writeup - I like the Huddle Report as well but sometimes Boylhart talks a lot and doesn't say much - like in that writeup. Here's another review of Jeff (from the Draft Exchange) I found more informative:

COMBINE UPDATE:
      HEIGHT:6.03.1
      WEIGHT:223
      40 AVERAGENR

Up until this year, Jeff Smoker’s college football career had been nothing but a disappointment, both on the field and off the field. Smoker hit the bottom of the barrel at the end of the 2002 season, when he was suspended for the final five games of the season.

This season Smoker cleaned up his act. Instead of transferring to a new school, he wanted to start and finish his career at Michigan State, where he was a four year starter. While Smoker’s stats look good, he had been nothing but a disappointment until leading a revamped Michigan State program to as high as a Top 10 ranking at one point this year.

Smoker has great arm strength and a knack for making plays in big games. He is also very accurate and truly has all the tools to be a very good NFL quarterback. The biggest worry scouts have is whether his substance abuse history is history. He also has good mobility and very solid footwork. If it wasn’t for his checkered past, you could see him going as early as the end of the first round, but instead he’ll likely go somewhere between the 3rd and 5th round.

Final Say: Smoker doesn’t really have any weaknesses. He is an excellent athlete and one of the best quarterbacks in Michigan State history. The big question is what type of work ethic does he have, and how badly does he want to play in the NFL? If Smoker puts in the work, he could be an excellent player in the NFL. Smoker is probably the 3rd most talented quarterback in the draft, although he probably won’t be the 3rd one selected.

I think Smoker's biggest problem is his accuracy - decent but not great - even though he had a 63% completion rate, his ypa have gone down every year - from 9.7 to 7.8 to 7.2. I think the jury's still out on how good he can be ...

I do think he seems to have matured - and combined with his physical talent - might be a great choice in the 3rd round.

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by the dude
        I do think he seems to have matured - and combined with his physical talent - might be a great choice in the 3rd round.
        yeah.. i am not a big fan of the huddle report actually... it was just where i happened to be..

that is a good write up as well.. i dont think his accuracy is a problem at all.. i would say so if he threw alot of picks, but he doesnt.. that is when accuracy is a big deal in my mind.. it is over 60%, which is more than i can say for drew henson.. and he has a decent td/int ratio.. and he fought back hard after his rehab for booze..and played great this year..
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Sep 2003

do you think smoker has better tools and will be potentally a better qb than jp losman... i'm a big fan of losman

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
            do you think smoker has better tools and will be potentally a better qb than jp losman... i'm a big fan of losman
            his arm is not quite as strong.. and losman is just a bit more mobile (not by a lot).. but losman has a knack for holding the ball too long. losman also does most of what he does on pure athletic ability.. not smarts.. smoker is more polished.. losmans profile reminds me alot of rob johnson, just from a purely talent prospective... i just dont like guys that hold the ball too long.. either **** or get off the pot..

i would take smoker over losman.. he has all the tools to be as if not more succesfull.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Smoker though is another one of though one year wonder QB's that people get drawn too alot (Ryan Leif, Kyle Boller). Im not saying he'll have the same results but I dont like him. He did absolutely nothing when he had probably the best WR in college to throw too (Charles Rogers) he also made his name against a very weak Big Ten this season....His personal problems aside he is much less mobile than losman, and has a weaker arm. Some things he does throw well are the crossing routes and hitch routes. He has accuracy problems on balls thrown past 20 yards. Hes not the type of player that will make opposing defenses scheme a deep cover when he drops back...He also has had trouble handling the blitz in the past....If we got him I wouldnt be dissapointed but frustrated by their choice depending on who is left on the board...Id say grab him in the 5th or below.

Some other sleeper names are:
              Timmy Chang (i think?)
              Bradley Van Pelt
              Richard Kent (somebody ive been touting)
              Ryan Dinwiddie
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

well the difference between him and leaf ect.. is that he would be a second day guy..

i like all the guys on your list there as well.. except for chang.. he was horrible, and i mean HORRIBLE in 3 games i watched.. all three he was benched for the junior behind him..

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                  short bus extraordinaire
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
                  i'm not sold on losman.i'd rather have smoker.
                  Originally posted by yordad
                  Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Stevie Ray
                    • Jan 2004

Here's another profile of Smoker, from Rob's Scouting:

Height: 6024 Weight: 224 Speed: 4.88/40
                    Age as of 4/04: 22
                    Injuries/Legal Issues: Suspended for last 5 games of 2002 after substance abuse problems.
                    Grade: 1.70(5th Round)

What does he do best? Jeff has very good touch and exceptional accuracy on short passes.
                    What is his biggest negative? He moves poorly and won’t avoid a rush and doesn’t have an overly quick release. Jeff throws the ball from a ¾ angle.
                    Evaluation of athletic potential: Not much of an athlete, but could work his way into a starting role with some time.
                    Does he make the big play? No, he is the player that won’t make mistakes, but he has the ability to throw the ball down the field and gets the job done.
                    Scouting Report: Jeff had a bright future ahead of him, but midway in his junior season, he was suspended after admitting a substance abuse problem. New coach John L. Smith worked hard with Jeff in the off-season and he appears to be back at the top of his game and staying out of trouble off the field. He worked in a spread offense this season that allows for his receives to run after the catch. Jeff takes the snaps from the shout-gun so is inexperienced in his drop, but he does always set his feet and steps into his throws. When he does take the snap from center, he is slow and a bit stiff getting the ball and getting into his drop. Jeff has a ¾ delivery and will get passes batted down at the line of scrimmage because he will drop his arm. Along with that, he has an elongated delivery with some wasted motion that slows down his release and allows defenders to jump on some his passes. His release is only average as well as the ball doesn’t come out nearly as quick as you would like. He also doesn’t throw a tight spiral as his ball will flutter at times. Jeff has very good short accuracy as he hardly ever misses a throw less than 5 yards. His receivers dropped quite a few balls this season which will decrease his completion % in his stats. He allows his receivers, on short and intermediate throws, to run with the ball after the catch. Jeff isn’t asked to throw the deep ball much, but he is able to put the ball only where his man can make a play on the ball. He will put too much air on the ball, but he leads his man nicely on deep passes like he does on all levels. His touch overall is very good always putting the correct amount on his throws. Jeff doesn’t have a very good arm, but what can be considered a bit better than average. He can put the ball down the field, but definitely doesn’t have the arm strength to make him a top prospect. Combined with his slower release and low release point, you will never be wowed by his arm. Jeff has good field vision as he sees the field equally well. He is one of the few prospects that come out of college that can read the whole field, not just the side of his throwing arm. Jeff has average run ability as he is a guy that won’t be asked to run Quarterback draws or simply will never be mistake from anything more than a pocket passer. If the pocket does break down though, he can pick up the yards in front of him but certainly won’t make you miss. Jeff is average on the move as he will square his shoulders, but will leave his feet to make the throws at times and doesn’t have good accuracy as a result. Jeff really struggled against Nebraska as he was sacked quite a few times. He felt the rush well and can feel the backside rush, but if in trouble, he won’t be able to avoid a heavy rush. Jeff though has good poise and toughness as he isn’t afraid to take a hit in order to complete a pass. He shows that good poise as well in the two minute drill which he operates nicely. Jeff is a leader on the field that won’t make mistakes and it is very rare to see him force a throw and even rarer to see him turn the ball over. Overall, Jeff has come back strong after his off the field struggles. He isn’t the most blessed passer as he doesn’t have the arm, release or picture perfect delivery. However, he has good accuracy and just understands how to run a game. He received a late 4th round grade, but was marked down to the 5th for off the field reasons. If he interviews well a 4th round pick as a developmental prospect would not surprise.

General: Missed the last five games after admitting substance abuse in 2002 and entering rehab. Jeff is safe with the ball and struggled with poor receivers his senior season. Won’t turn the ball over. Durable and a leader. Seems to have really matured during his Senior season.

I like Smoker too in the 4th or 5th rd. Otherwise, would like Pickett in the 3rd. Any opinions on Cody?

Comment

• socalfan
                      Old Fogey from Cali
                      • Feb 2003

Michigan State has their Pro Day on March 23rd. I guess we'll see if Smoker does better than he did at the combine.

---------DRAFT REPORT------------------
                      Not a spectacular athlete, but has a high caliber, accurate gun.

Broke out as a sophomore in 2001, throwing for 2,227 yards while completing 62.6 percent of his passes. Finished strong that year by out-dueling future first overall selection David Carr in their Bowl game, throwing for 376 yards and 3 touchdowns in a 44-35 defeat of Fresno State.

But 2002 was not as kind, with Smoker leaving the team half way through the season to enter rehab for alcohol abuse.

With the 2004 draft looming, Smoker's life is back on track with the prospect of an NFL career ahead of him. He successfully completed the treatment phase of his rehab and has shown fortitude by maintaining his sobriety. He threw for more than 350 yards on three occasions and lead an average Michigan State team to an 8-4 regular season record.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

he had a good combine.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Stevie Ray
                          Here's another profile of Smoker, from Rob's Scouting:

Height: 6024 Weight: 224 Speed: 4.88/40
                          Age as of 4/04: 22
                          Injuries/Legal Issues: Suspended for last 5 games of 2002 after substance abuse problems.
                          Grade: 1.70(5th Round)

What does he do best? Jeff has very good touch and exceptional accuracy on short passes.
                          What is his biggest negative? He moves poorly and won’t avoid a rush and doesn’t have an overly quick release. Jeff throws the ball from a ¾ angle.
                          Evaluation of athletic potential: Not much of an athlete, but could work his way into a starting role with some time.
                          Does he make the big play? No, he is the player that won’t make mistakes, but he has the ability to throw the ball down the field and gets the job done.
                          Scouting Report: Jeff had a bright future ahead of him, but midway in his junior season, he was suspended after admitting a substance abuse problem. New coach John L. Smith worked hard with Jeff in the off-season and he appears to be back at the top of his game and staying out of trouble off the field. He worked in a spread offense this season that allows for his receives to run after the catch. Jeff takes the snaps from the shout-gun so is inexperienced in his drop, but he does always set his feet and steps into his throws. When he does take the snap from center, he is slow and a bit stiff getting the ball and getting into his drop. Jeff has a ¾ delivery and will get passes batted down at the line of scrimmage because he will drop his arm. Along with that, he has an elongated delivery with some wasted motion that slows down his release and allows defenders to jump on some his passes. His release is only average as well as the ball doesn’t come out nearly as quick as you would like. He also doesn’t throw a tight spiral as his ball will flutter at times. Jeff has very good short accuracy as he hardly ever misses a throw less than 5 yards. His receivers dropped quite a few balls this season which will decrease his completion % in his stats. He allows his receivers, on short and intermediate throws, to run with the ball after the catch. Jeff isn’t asked to throw the deep ball much, but he is able to put the ball only where his man can make a play on the ball. He will put too much air on the ball, but he leads his man nicely on deep passes like he does on all levels. His touch overall is very good always putting the correct amount on his throws. Jeff doesn’t have a very good arm, but what can be considered a bit better than average. He can put the ball down the field, but definitely doesn’t have the arm strength to make him a top prospect. Combined with his slower release and low release point, you will never be wowed by his arm. Jeff has good field vision as he sees the field equally well. He is one of the few prospects that come out of college that can read the whole field, not just the side of his throwing arm. Jeff has average run ability as he is a guy that won’t be asked to run Quarterback draws or simply will never be mistake from anything more than a pocket passer. If the pocket does break down though, he can pick up the yards in front of him but certainly won’t make you miss. Jeff is average on the move as he will square his shoulders, but will leave his feet to make the throws at times and doesn’t have good accuracy as a result. Jeff really struggled against Nebraska as he was sacked quite a few times. He felt the rush well and can feel the backside rush, but if in trouble, he won’t be able to avoid a heavy rush. Jeff though has good poise and toughness as he isn’t afraid to take a hit in order to complete a pass. He shows that good poise as well in the two minute drill which he operates nicely. Jeff is a leader on the field that won’t make mistakes and it is very rare to see him force a throw and even rarer to see him turn the ball over. Overall, Jeff has come back strong after his off the field struggles. He isn’t the most blessed passer as he doesn’t have the arm, release or picture perfect delivery. However, he has good accuracy and just understands how to run a game. He received a late 4th round grade, but was marked down to the 5th for off the field reasons. If he interviews well a 4th round pick as a developmental prospect would not surprise.

General: Missed the last five games after admitting substance abuse in 2002 and entering rehab. Jeff is safe with the ball and struggled with poor receivers his senior season. Won’t turn the ball over. Durable and a leader. Seems to have really matured during his Senior season.

I like Smoker too in the 4th or 5th rd. Otherwise, would like Pickett in the 3rd. Any opinions on Cody?
                          welcome to the Zone Stevie Ray.
                          Originally posted by yordad
                          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Stevie Ray
                            • Jan 2004

Thx Saburzfan, good to be amongst my Bills brethren.

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Stevie Ray
                              Thx Saburzfan, good to be amongst my Bills brethren.
                              Welcome to the Zone!

Comment

Working...
                              X