PDA

View Full Version : How about Matt Mauck

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-20-2004, 04:18 PM
If we don't take Rivers or Roethlisburger in round 1 how about getting Matt Mauck from LSU in round 2 or 3 I watched him in the Sugar Bowl and he didn't look bad. He's like Henson he was drafted by the Cubs but he went back to college to play football. Where would he fall what round and at what pick? :feedback:

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Sporting News has him as a 5th rounder

War Room analysis
Strengths: Has good, not elite, arm strength. Shows good zip on deep-out routes, and can make all the NFL throws. Shows good arm strength when rolling right and adequate arm strength when throwing across his body. Has a quick release, and is mechanically sound for an inexperienced quarterback. Shows a consistently high and quick release. Squares his shoulders when throwing on the run, and releases passes near his ear. Shows great touch and accuracy on short and intermediate routes. Has decent straight-line speed, but is a sneaky athlete. Is quick and mobile. Sidesteps the rush nicely, and creates a lot of second chances. Is intelligent, and blossomed with experience in '03. Is a quiet leader.

Weaknesses: Still is a bit inconsistent on deep throws. Must improve timing on intermediate and deep routes. Must get better at surveying the field and making check-down reads. Improved his field vision in '03 season, but still is below average. LSU used him mostly on rollouts and play-action fakes, allowing him to read only half the field -- typically a high-low read. Shows the mental capacity to improve, but is raw. Is competitive and tough. Is not afraid of contact, but must better protect his body.

Bottom line: There are a couple of unusual concerns surrounding Mauck. He’s the oldest prospect in the group, and if things don't go as planned for him early in his career, he will quickly leave the league and go to medical school. Mauck is a relatively mobile and athletic quarterback who has continued to develop with more experience. Mauck has enough experience, arm strength and athleticism to make a defense pay for over-extending to stop the run. improved as much as any prospect in '03. He is mature but still is learning. If Mauck were completely dedicated to making a living in the NFL and worked on that goal for several years as a reserve, we think he could eventually develop into a quality backup. However, because his ultimate goal is in dentistry, there's concern that he might quit after a few years if things don't progress quickly enough.

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 05:26 PM
i wouldnt feel bad if we got him.. he is a gamer.. just a bit older.. he played baseball.. he doesnt do anything REAL well.. but he is not a guy that will lose games for you.

Ron C.
03-20-2004, 06:51 PM
I would trade up to #9 and give up our #1 and a 3rd in 2004 if Rothlisberger is still on the board.

thenry20
03-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
If we don't take Rivers or Roethlisburger in round 1 how about getting Matt Mauck from LSU in round 2 or 3 I watched him in the Sugar Bowl and he didn't look bad. He's like Henson he was drafted by the Cubs but he went back to college to play football. Where would he fall what round and at what pick? :feedback:

Carl Mauck's son?

Dude, no way!

The Spaz
03-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by thenry20

Carl Mauck's son?

Dude, no way!

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/coc-1-58518-373-3.jpg

:skeptic: :whatthe::eek:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-21-2004, 12:26 AM

Carl Mauck's son?

Dude, no way!

He's not Carl's son no relationship what-so-ever!!:chair: :cheers:

DraftBoy
03-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Mauck is a former baseball player and the oldest prospect in the class...this reeks of Chris Weinke, how he does nothing exceptional but nothing to lose a game...Plus when your true passion is dealing with people with bad breath all day then I dont want him playing QB for my team

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Plus when your true passion is dealing with people with bad breath all day then I dont want him playing QB for my team

huh?

Jan Reimers
03-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
huh?

Wants to be a dentist.

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 10:14 AM
we shouldnt pick someone who wants to be a dentist, because? :confused:

Captain gameboy
03-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
...Plus when your true passion is dealing with people with bad breath all day then I dont want him playing QB for my team

Anti Dentite alert!

The Natrix
03-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by gameboy

Anti Dentite alert!

Pretty soon, Draftboy is going to be saying they should have their own schools.

thenry20
03-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/coc-1-58518-373-3.jpg

:skeptic: :whatthe::eek:

Oh man, some people need to re-take Sarcasm 101!

At least one of you got it.

The Spaz
03-21-2004, 07:07 PM

Oh man, some people need to re-take Sarcasm 101!

At least one of you got it.

I was joking too. I just brought up the picture because I thought it was funny most of us thought Carl Mauck sucked as an offensive coordinator and yet he has a video.