PDA

View Full Version : Who the Bills are REALLY Going to Draft

bruuuce
03-20-2004, 10:53 PM
#13. Reggie Williams--our biggest needs are a #2WR to succeed moulds, an interior linemen, and a QB of the future. TD has said he is happy with our DEs so I don't see Udeze or Smith coming here. QB is too risky and a move for future success--it's time to win now. too early for shawn andrews or any other interior linemen. Roy will probably be gone so Reggie is our pick. (I could also see a trade down with such a talented WR pool and Reggie rumored to have a bit of a cocky attitude--this would aid us with what follows).

#27. Jake Grove--should go late in the first round, but I believe TD is too impressed to let Grove fall to NE. Plus there is a significant drop off at this position as Alex Stepanovich or Nick Leckey would likely begin the season backing up Teague. Grove can also move to guard if McNally decides Tucker/Sullivan aren't cutting it. They will trade up to a team like the titans who were competitors last year but have many holes to fill this year because of free agency. Our second, third, and fifth rounders to the Titans for their #27 and #123. Teague will end up competing for the only unsettled spot on our line and providing depth at tackle (his more natural position) to the often injured Mike Williams and Jonas Jennings. Should Jennings contract demands be too high, Teague will serve as solid leverage or a possible replacement. I could see the same type of deal being worked out for Chris Snee.

#108. Josh Harris--our QB of the future. very solid intangibles but definitely a project for Wyche. http://thehuddlereport.com/2004DRAFT/profiles/JoshHarris.htm doesn't that just sound like he was made for the bills. Cody Pickett could also be an option.

#123. Bo Schobel--before you jump at the thought of drafting another de, we
still need a fourth for a complete roster and I think there is a reason we haven't entertained any DEs yet. Schobel has slipped a little and should be available in the 4th. He would immediately provide assistance in TDs discussions with Aaron after next season. Bo isn't just an insurance policy in case Aaron leaves, as many have suggested we need, he is also an insurance policy to make sure Aaron doesn't leave. If Aaron was worth a second round pick when we got him, wouldn't he be worth a fourth rounder now to keep him around for another couple of years? Especially now that he is becoming a very solid player. Plus, who better to tutor Bo--we would get more production out of him than any other team. should we sign a FA at DE, I could see us drafting a center here instead.

#197 & 204 will most likely go to a cb, fb, te, or oline depth. no one player stands out in particular to me yet. If we don't sign a FA TE I look to Sean Ryan in the seventh. "Senior tight end Sean Ryan (6-5, 259) arrived in Chestnut Hill as a walk-on on the defensive side of the ball, but his ability to block as well as catch touchdown passes have made Ryan an NFL prospect." He is a homegrown product and a solid blocker. He would project as a receiver but could be a solid addition to our run game.

The Natrix
03-20-2004, 11:07 PM
I would be dissapointed with Reggie. I could live with Roy or Mike though. I just don't see Reggie being any more than a #2 or a poor man's #1.

If TD goes WR it better turn out as good as Moulds.

I just don't see WR as a huge need just yet.

The Natrix
03-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Grove at #27 would kick ass.

The Natrix
03-20-2004, 11:29 PM
I could live with giving up the 3rd and 4th if it meant Rivers at #13 and Grove at #27. That is the central Vortex right there.

The Natrix
03-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I could live with giving up the 3rd and 4th if it meant Rivers at #13 and Grove at #27. That is the central Vortex right there.

Teague amd Bledsoe :down:

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I would be dissapointed with Reggie. I could live with Roy or Mike though. I just don't see Reggie being any more than a #2 or a poor man's #1.

If TD goes WR it better turn out as good as Moulds.

I just don't see WR as a huge need just yet.

wow.. i think you are way off on reggie man.. i would rather have him than roy williams.. roy williams drops balls.. i dont know why people are so high on him.. bannister would be a better pick up than roy.. and wouldnt cost us a 13 and a high salary.. they are the same size.. bannister is faster.. and their hands are about the same when roy gets in one of his funks.. now if roy is on.. then he is sweet.. but he is too hot and cold for me..

just imho.

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 12:28 AM
i would be very happy with your draft, bruuce.. and welcome to the boards..

i will say we dont need a wr.. especially one early.. but i couldnt complain about the talent that your draft would add.

another white de? seriously.. wouldnt that be record.. 4??:confused:

lol

bruuuce
03-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Four white DEs, I didn't even think of that, I would bet no other team can say that.

Anyway, I've been on the Buffalobills.com discussion board for a while but things have gotten slow lately and I need to talk Bills football so thanks for welcoming me.

By the way, why would you not draft a WR in round one? What do you think we have a bigger need at?

FS--TV will be here in a year or two so it doesn't make sense to draft at a position that has no future.

DE--TD has said he is pleased with our DEs so I doubt we spend a first rounder on this position. We only have 3 DEs currently and I would have thought we would go for a FA DE though we still have yet to entertain one (I know there is another round of cuts) and thats why I think TD might be looking at Bo.

TE--Winslow will be gone, any other TE would be a stretch unless we trade down but I doubt this happens because TD has said he is happy with Campbell and has proved this by trying to sign a blocking TE in FA.

QB--Is a win tomorrow type of move. A Rd 1 QB would help us in the future, not in 2004 so I doubt this will happen. Roeth will be off the board and Phillip Rivers will definitely not be "the best player available." Especially if we sign Volek, I see us looking for a 2nd day project for Wyche.

Oline--This is too early for Shawn Andrews (in my opinion, I know some mocks disagree) so we would have to trade down for this option too. Plus, I can't think of a lineman we could use more than Grove (Gallery excluded of course). Grove provides us the flexibility of being able to slide between G and C (much like Damien Woody) the two positions that we could use help with on our oline.

In my opinion, WR can be had later in the draft, but our best chance at immediate production comes from one of the top four WR who are the most polished and complete (size and speed).

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 01:05 AM
bruuce.. this is my post from an earlier thread on our wrs..

Originally posted by Tatonka
the bottom line is this..

tell me one team that has 2 stud wrs like moulds that have had success?

moulds is a premier receiver.. there is no arguing that.. he is a top ten guy in the league.. and he is with us for 3 more years.. all at reasonable salaries.

reed could easily still be every bit as good as hines ward.. who is a number one wr that doesnt have blazing speed, but is a great great receiver. some are ready to write him off as a 3rd wr.. i think that is nuts.. the guy has not even had his 3rd year yet.. moulds was MUCH worse than reed in his first 2 years. he will change alot of peoples opinions this year, and i believe he will show that you dont have to run a 4.3 to be a good number 2.

shaw had 800 friggen yards last season.. he played very well.. and anyone that can knock that signing is out of their mind.. he makes chump change, and is worth every penny.. he is easily a great number 3.

aiken was a 4th round pick who is built just like moulds. he was showing some promise before the season ending injury.. i am in no way ready to give up in this kid. he may still end up being a #1 wr.. you have no idea, nor do i.. but we invested a pick in him, so we will let time time..

then you have coleman, who has done nothing but play well when given the chance in the preseason, and has never really had a chance at all in the regular season..

if we are going to be a running team.. why do we need 6 wrs on the roster? but we have brown who is supposed to run a 4.19.. so there is your speed.

we dont need a wr.. we just dont.. moulds is not going anywhere for the next three years.. reed could still be great.. shaw is above average for a number 3 spot... and we have potential in coleman and aiken.

you guys that are screaming for a wr with our first pick are going to be the same ones that are sorely disappointed when that rookie is sitting on the bench while making #13 draft pick money.. and will finish the season with 300 yards.. and then you guys will be screaming to draft another wr next year..

i just dont get it... someone please explain it to me.

bruuuce
03-21-2004, 01:30 AM
I agree with your assessment of our receivers. Shaw is dirt cheap and adds great depth. Reed is an effective slot receiver already, I can't wait to see what he does in year three. I think we have a solid core, I just don't think we have a solid #2. Shaw put up decent numbers, but that is because he ended up being our #1 most of the season and having way more balls thrown in his direction than should have been. Our big receiving problem is that we lack speed. Antonio Brown is fast but is not polished enough to make a splash yet in the NFL. Drafting a WR early (especially if Roy Williams is there) would fill this void and would stretch the field (which would aid our run game). Additionally, it is known that WR take about three years to come into their own in the nfl, which is just when Moulds will be departing, most likely.

I'm very interested in who you would draft in Rd. 1.

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by bruuuce
I agree with your assessment of our receivers. Shaw is dirt cheap and adds great depth. Reed is an effective slot receiver already, I can't wait to see what he does in year three. I think we have a solid core, I just don't think we have a solid #2. Shaw put up decent numbers, but that is because he ended up being our #1 most of the season and having way more balls thrown in his direction than should have been. Our big receiving problem is that we lack speed. Antonio Brown is fast but is not polished enough to make a splash yet in the NFL. Drafting a WR early (especially if Roy Williams is there) would fill this void and would stretch the field (which would aid our run game). Additionally, it is known that WR take about three years to come into their own in the nfl, which is just when Moulds will be departing, most likely.

I'm very interested in who you would draft in Rd. 1.

well.. i think you missed the point of my post..

reed is a good number 2.. and could still be a great number 1.

shaw was not basically a number 1 most of the year.. moulds missed 3 games.. i wouldnt consider that most of the year.. shaw is just a good receiver.. and played great.. and he is faster than people give him credit for..

and moulds is a deep threat.. teams dont need 2 deep threats.. most dont have it.. and the teams that won the superbowls over the last 10 years havent had 2 deep threats..

i would trade down and take jake grove.

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-21-2004, 06:45 AM

well.. i think you missed the point of my post..

reed is a good number 2.. and could still be a great number 1.

shaw was not basically a number 1 most of the year.. moulds missed 3 games.. i wouldnt consider that most of the year.. shaw is just a good receiver.. and played great.. and he is faster than people give him credit for..

and moulds is a deep threat.. teams dont need 2 deep threats.. most dont have it.. and the teams that won the superbowls over the last 10 years havent had 2 deep threats..

i would trade down and take jake grove.

I know but if Reed faltures what do we do. Even if we're running the ball alot we still have to pass and Moulds will be double and triple teamed every damn play!

I just saw a preview magazine for 2003 I hadn't seen yet and it said the whole season came down to how well Reed played.

What if he faltures this season? Not EVERY WR shined in his 3rd year.

We shouldn't take a WR in round 1, but I definately believe we should pick one in round 2. Will he start? I dont know.

Jan Reimers
03-21-2004, 07:12 AM
another white de? seriously.. wouldnt that be record.. 4??:confused:lol

Do we have a quota system at DE?

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Do we have a quota system at DE?

apparently it has gone up.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Reggie Williams will be a stud in this league. If the Bills go WR, I would be happy if they took RW.

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 06:40 PM
reggie williams seems exactly like moulds to me.. i like him.

Tatonka
03-21-2004, 06:41 PM
dont think we need him.. but i like him. :D

STAMPY
03-21-2004, 08:00 PM
isn't reggie more of a position wr... we need a field stretcher like what we had in peerless so my thinking is we go with roy williams if avail

The Spaz
03-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
isn't reggie more of a position wr... we need a field stretcher like what we had in peerless so my thinking is we go with roy williams if avail

He ran a 4.48 at the combine at is compared to David Boston without the baggage.:up::beer: