X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Chargers might pass on Eli Manning

The rumor that's speed-dialing its way around the NFL is the Chargers' initial evaluations have Ben Roethlisberger rated as the top quarterback in the draft, ahead of Eli Manning. What the Chargers have to wrestle with, should they decide to keep the first overall pick and select a quarterback, is this: Can they pass up a Manning and live to tell about it? Trading WR David Boston last week also leaves the team with a bigger need at receiver than at quarterback and could give the Chargers an out. By selecting WR Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams, the Chargers could minimize the criticism that would result from passing on Manning. . . .

• kal123
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Good point...

Another problem is that they got burned by taking Leaf and by not taking Vick, so it makes this even tougher. Add to the fact they have no QB ... Brees is a bust and Flutie is dust... and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
      • Apr 2003

if i were them id trade down to seven or so and pick up another second and third rounder. then, if big ben fell, he would be a charger and if not, they would have an easy decision on roy williams
      the dude abides

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

that is assuming that anyone around 7 has any interest in trading up.. it doesnt look like anyone does..
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
          • Apr 2003

yeah, but you never know. even the days before the draft im sure there will be a lot of changes and thats not even considering the actual draft day. thats the thing about mocks, none are very accurate because so many people trade up and down it screws up everything. this is a really good mock will give you three solid possibilites
          the dude abides

Comment

• Lefty2985
            • Mar 2004

I think they will pass on Eli because they lost a main WR. They will pick up either LF or RW.

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
              Exhausted of Losing
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
              that is assuming that anyone around 7 has any interest in trading up.. it doesnt look like anyone does..
              Apparently the Browns want to move up to get Gallery

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
                Exhausted of Losing
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Lefty2985
                I think they will pass on Eli because they lost a main WR. They will pick up either LF or RW.
                I agree. Larry Fitzgerald seems more likely.

Comment

• Demon
                  • Mar 2003

I don't see SD taking Eli, mainly because they just re-signed Doug Flutie to a 3 year deal and i remember reading somewhere where they told Drew Brees that he's still in their plans. I think they will select a WR and hope Brees is better with him. Even selecting Eli won't do much if you have no WR's.
                  Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by kal123

Another problem is that they got burned by taking Leaf and by not taking Vick, so it makes this even tougher.
                    I was just going to say this. But remember SD didn't pick Leaf OVER Peyton. Indy picked first that year.

But yeah, if they don't pick Eli this year they'd be missing out on yet another Manning and will probably kill themselves over it years to come.

Don't the Mannings have yet another younger brother???

Comment

• Bert102176
                      • Aug 2002

I said awhile ago that they will take a WR unless they make a trade and I am sticking with that, and I said this before the Boston rumors about being traded
                      lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• kal123
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                        Don't the Mannings have yet another younger brother???
                        Well that's a scary thought. Someone at One Bills Drive needs to slip into the Manning house late at night, take a DNA sample of Archie's blood and fly to some third world country where they clone sheep. We desperately need a new franchise QB.

Comment

• Dantheman1280
                          I am the Man!
                          • Mar 2004

IF Manning moves down we can trade up and get MIKE WILLIAMS!!

Comment

• elltrain22
                            • Sep 2003

Big mistake if SD passes on Manning.
                            If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Billzz
                              • Sep 2003

It's Eli MANNING for god's sake. They are a household name, SD will not pass on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X