PDA

View Full Version : Chargers might pass on Eli Manning

The Spaz
03-21-2004, 11:44 PM
The rumor that's speed-dialing its way around the NFL is the Chargers' initial evaluations have Ben Roethlisberger rated as the top quarterback in the draft, ahead of Eli Manning. What the Chargers have to wrestle with, should they decide to keep the first overall pick and select a quarterback, is this: Can they pass up a Manning and live to tell about it? Trading WR David Boston last week also leaves the team with a bigger need at receiver than at quarterback and could give the Chargers an out. By selecting WR Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams, the Chargers could minimize the criticism that would result from passing on Manning. . . .

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=insidedishchargersmightp&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Mr. Cynical
03-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Good point...

Another problem is that they got burned by taking Leaf and by not taking Vick, so it makes this even tougher. Add to the fact they have no QB ... Brees is a bust and Flutie is dust... and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

:chuckle:

mypoorfriendme
03-22-2004, 12:55 AM
if i were them id trade down to seven or so and pick up another second and third rounder. then, if big ben fell, he would be a charger and if not, they would have an easy decision on roy williams

Tatonka
03-22-2004, 01:00 AM
that is assuming that anyone around 7 has any interest in trading up.. it doesnt look like anyone does..

mypoorfriendme
03-22-2004, 01:04 AM
yeah, but you never know. even the days before the draft im sure there will be a lot of changes and thats not even considering the actual draft day. thats the thing about mocks, none are very accurate because so many people trade up and down it screws up everything. this is a really good mock will give you three solid possibilites

Lefty2985
03-22-2004, 05:36 AM
I think they will pass on Eli because they lost a main WR. They will pick up either LF or RW.

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-22-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
that is assuming that anyone around 7 has any interest in trading up.. it doesnt look like anyone does..
Apparently the Browns want to move up to get Gallery

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-22-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Lefty2985
I think they will pass on Eli because they lost a main WR. They will pick up either LF or RW.

I agree. Larry Fitzgerald seems more likely.

Demon
03-22-2004, 08:47 AM
I don't see SD taking Eli, mainly because they just re-signed Doug Flutie to a 3 year deal and i remember reading somewhere where they told Drew Brees that he's still in their plans. I think they will select a WR and hope Brees is better with him. Even selecting Eli won't do much if you have no WR's.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by kal123

Another problem is that they got burned by taking Leaf and by not taking Vick, so it makes this even tougher.
I was just going to say this. But remember SD didn't pick Leaf OVER Peyton. Indy picked first that year.

But yeah, if they don't pick Eli this year they'd be missing out on yet another Manning and will probably kill themselves over it years to come.

Don't the Mannings have yet another younger brother???

Bert102176
03-22-2004, 01:34 PM
I said awhile ago that they will take a WR unless they make a trade and I am sticking with that, and I said this before the Boston rumors about being traded

Mr. Cynical
03-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Don't the Mannings have yet another younger brother???

Well that's a scary thought. Someone at One Bills Drive needs to slip into the Manning house late at night, take a DNA sample of Archie's blood and fly to some third world country where they clone sheep. We desperately need a new franchise QB. ;)

Dantheman1280
03-22-2004, 06:33 PM
IF Manning moves down we can trade up and get MIKE WILLIAMS!!

elltrain22
03-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Big mistake if SD passes on Manning.

Billzz
03-22-2004, 09:00 PM
It's Eli MANNING for god's sake. They are a household name, SD will not pass on him.