PDA

View Full Version : NHL needs to change its tune on drug testing

MOFO Sports
03-21-2004, 11:51 PM
NHL needs to change its tune on drug testing

By Steve Wilstein -- Associated Press

For a sport built on speed, power, aggressiveness and the not-so-occasional brawl, hockey has stayed curiously aloof from the world of drug testing.

The time has come for change.

As the NHL and its players association skirmish over economic issues in collective bargaining, trying to avoid a lockout that could curtail or cancel next season, the doping issue should not be an afterthought or a bargaining chip as it was in baseball.

The NHL does not test for steroids, stimulants or any other performance-enhancing drugs. Players can juice up throughout the season without risk of penalties. All the league does is offer education and counselling.

Of the four major leagues in the U.S., the NFL has the strongest anti-doping program and the NHL the most lame, with the NBA and baseball in between.

The attitude in the NHL is that there is no need to do much more than the little it has for the past decade, even in the face of steroid abuse throughout the sporting landscape.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040320/nhl_drugs-ap.html

qcsabresfan84
03-22-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't think it's anything we need to worry about. Even if some players are doping, its not resulting in anything. We don't have more goals or injuries or anything like that.

The Spaz
03-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by qcsabresfan84
I don't think it's anything we need to worry about. Even if some players are doping, its not resulting in anything. We don't have more goals or injuries or anything like that.

Baseball players don't hit more homeruns either.......

qcsabresfan84
03-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Baseball players don't hit more homeruns either.......

At least not next season.

The Spaz
03-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by qcsabresfan84

At least not next season.

True which is why the NHL needs to nip it in the bud now.

MOFO Sports
03-22-2004, 02:54 PM
I agree end it before anyone says suspects anything.

alyson
03-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Maybe that's why the sport is getting more violent. You know what steroids do... make boys even more aggressive. And shrinks their testicles!

#1Fan
03-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Steroids....the real breakfast of champions. It's getting ridculious and sad. I hope the NHL act quickly.

Turf
03-23-2004, 05:42 PM
One thing is for sure, no one the Sabres is doping.........