PDA

View Full Version : QBs available...

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 07:43 AM
So, who's out there for the Bills to sign as a backup??

Couch
Doug Johnson
Rob Johnson

quickly coming up in the rear-view mirror...

Kordell?

nolimit
03-23-2004, 07:49 AM
honestly, i'd take doug johnson or kordell in a heartbeat. i think they are very servicable backups. Kordell can be used in goalione situations where we know drew is less effective.

The only thing that worries me about Doug Johnson is his name is a combination of two evils in Buffalo. I know Johnson sucked last year in starting for Vick but that team was just pitiful.

justasportsfan
03-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Doug Flutie

:couch:

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Doug Flutie

:couch:

he is already signed...by SD thankfully

elltrain22
03-23-2004, 08:04 AM
Here is a thought, lets try to lure David Garrard away from Jacksonville. Garrard, who many of you may not have ever heard of, played his college ball at East Carolina University, which is my school, so it would be cool if the Bills made a play on him. I am not stupid, and i do realize that this whole idea of mine is totally unrealistic, but its fun to throw it around anywayz.

Devin
03-23-2004, 08:06 AM
god its like picking which QB left sucks the least.

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
Here is a thought, lets try to lure David Garrard away from Jacksonville. Garrard, who many of you may not have ever heard of, played his college ball at East Carolina University, which is my school, so it would be cool if the Bills made a play on him. I am not stupid, and i do realize that this whole idea of mine is totally unrealistic, but its fun to throw it around anywayz.

...mmm...he's under contract...:shakeno:

TigerJ
03-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Discounting Doug Johnson's poor showing last season, what other background does he have? Where did he play his college ball? Did he show any promise at the time? What are his measurables? Does he have any kind of arm strength? How does he react to pressure from the defensive line?

It may be that we'll be better off drafting a QB than picking up anyone who's left.

nolimit
03-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Discounting Doug Johnson's poor showing last season, what other background does he have? Where did he play his college ball? Did he show any promise at the time? What are his measurables? Does he have any kind of arm strength? How does he react to pressure from the defensive line?

It may be that we'll be better off drafting a QB than picking up anyone who's left.

we need bodies at QB! We have to sign a vet. A rookie is not good enough.

Cntrygal
03-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Couch
Doug Johnson
Rob Johnson

Kordell?

When did the Raiders release RJ?

Has there been any mention of Kordell coming to Buffalo (I hope NOT), I thought he was intrested in Denver?

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
When did the Raiders release RJ?

...he is not on the Raiders...according to Ourlads, he isn't on an NFL roster

Cntrygal
03-23-2004, 08:30 AM

:puke:

Mr. Miyagi
03-23-2004, 08:34 AM
I'll say again, Jeff Blake would be a very serviceable backup. :miyagi:

Thailog80
03-23-2004, 09:14 AM

Couch
Doug Johnson
Rob Johnson

Kordell?

Kordell does strike me as a come from behind kind of guy.....;)

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ

actually.. prior to getting thrown in last year.. doug johnson was considered a very good back up and he was looked at very much the same as volek, just 2 seasons ago when he was a RFA.. he ended up going back to atlanta... but there was some interest in him.

he played some real good games prior to last eyar.. and even had a couple of decent games last year.. but nothing to write home about.

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I'll say again, Jeff Blake would be a very serviceable backup. :miyagi:

i am thinking the same thing..

but you guys do realize we have travis brown.. he has done nothing to warrant not being the back up.

Devin
03-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

but you guys do realize we have travis brown.. he has done nothing to warrant not being the back up.

Agreed, develop TB. Draft a Rivers.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-23-2004, 09:59 AM

Even if he was on your team, would you really want anyone to know?

lordofgun
03-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
actually.. prior to getting thrown in last year.. doug johnson was considered a very good back up and he was looked at very much the same as volek, just 2 seasons ago when he was a RFA.. he ended up going back to atlanta... but there was some interest in him.

he played some real good games prior to last eyar.. and even had a couple of decent games last year.. but nothing to write home about.

i am thinking the same thing..

Seemed to me most of his teammates pretty much quit as soon as Vick was hurt. DJ may not have had a fair shot last year. I do not want him as a starter, that's for sure, but he'd be a decent backup.

bills_7
03-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by nolimit
we need bodies at QB! We have to sign a vet. A rookie is not good enough.

a rookie is fine by me (if we cant get couch) its Drews job anyway this yr we diffently dont need a vet....

generalmills
03-23-2004, 10:48 AM
I think a vet is totally necessary at the rate qbs go down in the nfl today...

Jeff blake?? anyone hear anything about him lately?

bills_7
03-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by generalmills
I think a vet is totally necessary at the rate qbs go down in the nfl today...

Jeff blake?? anyone hear anything about him lately?

ahhahah jeff blake thats the vet u wanna bring here thats funny

generalmills
03-23-2004, 11:00 AM
remember that we are not looking for a starter...if all goes as planned these guys will not even make it onto the field...the backup does not have to be the next coming of Jim Kelly... simply a solid arm that can come in and win a few games if drew goes down...
no matter who TD brings in, there WILL be holes in his game... he is going to be the BACKUP not the starter... keep that in mind

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Seemed to me most of his teammates pretty much quit as soon as Vick was hurt.

...and on Reeves.

Mr. Miyagi
03-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by bills_7
Most of us liked him and wanted to bring him in before we got Bledsoe.

He looked good in Baltimore 2 seasons ago, 2084 yards, 13 TD/11 INT in 10 games started. The Baltimore team was very much like what we want to implement, tough D, power running, clock control. Blake would fit right in.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1017

lordofgun
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM
I would like to bring Blake in. :up:

The Natrix
03-23-2004, 11:24 AM
I'd take Travis Brown over all those bums.

The Natrix
03-23-2004, 11:30 AM

ahhahah, you are one to talk!

Blake has won the starting job on four different teams and has been to the probowl.

What are Couch's accomplishments?

Blake is my first choice of FA's but I would rather just let Travis Brown be the backup. He looked pretty good in that Fins game. He was really accurate with his passes while rolling out.

bills_7
03-23-2004, 11:33 AM
remember that we are not looking for a starter...if all goes as planned these guys will not even make it onto the field...the backup does not have to be the next coming of Jim Kelly... simply a solid arm that can come in and win a few games if drew goes down...
no matter who TD brings in, there WILL be holes in his game... he is going to be the BACKUP not the starter... keep that in mind

and why cant the backup be the next JK
we got to get a guy with potential

we need someone young so they can take drews spot when hes gone

ie. couch, rivers etc.

Mr. Miyagi
03-23-2004, 11:35 AM
ie. couch, rivers etc.
Sorry but Couch isn't a good Drew replacement. He has all of Drew's weaknesses AND more.

Pass.

bills_7
03-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix

What are Couch's accomplishments?

he has accomplished nothing and hes not almost 40 (blake) hes is early 20's with tons of potential

generalmills
03-23-2004, 11:41 AM
even if you are looking to bring in rivers or someone else through the draft, i still think that there needs to be a vet. at the back up position. If drew were to go down, i dont want to be putting a rookie on the field when he is not ready. That would be a san diego "quarterback killer" chargers move!

bills_7
03-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Sorry but Couch isn't a good Drew replacement. He has all of Drew's weaknesses AND more.

Pass.

dont compare couch to drew...
u clearly havent watched alot of couch through his young carrer

(the only thing they may have simular is have an eye for there primary guy)

but i think thats mostly in OL thing maybe they just didnt trust there line to give them enough time in the pocket???

bills_7
03-23-2004, 11:46 AM
even if you are looking to bring in rivers or someone else through the draft, i still think that there needs to be a vet. at the back up position. If drew were to go down, i dont want to be putting a rookie on the field when he is not ready. That would be a san diego "quarterback killer" chargers move!

if drew gets hurt brown can come in if we dont want the rookie to play

Mr. Miyagi
03-23-2004, 12:01 PM
he has accomplished nothing and hes not almost 40 (blake) hes is early 20's with tons of potential
33 is not almost 40. :rolleyes:

naugem
03-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Could it be that bills_7 is actually Tim Couch, trying to get some support for a job in Buffalo?

The Natrix
03-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by naugem
Could it be that bills_7 is actually Tim Couch, trying to get some support for a job in Buffalo?

That could be!

By the way, welcome to the zone naugem!

:cheers:

Mr. Miyagi
03-23-2004, 12:31 PM
:welcome: naugem!!!

bills_7
03-23-2004, 12:33 PM
if i was tim couch i wouldnt be here i would be spending my millions!!!

Mr. Miyagi
03-23-2004, 12:38 PM
if i was tim couch i wouldnt be here i would be spending my millions!!!
No you wouldn't be here because your eyes would still be locked onto your receiver from the last game you played months ago.

bills_7
03-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Couch lacks the big arm, but his deft touch is perfectly suited for Cleveland's shorter passing game.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/playerProfile.cfm/pid.1141

Buffalo also has a short passing game!!!

were drew is about the long ball!!!
(dont get me wrong drew is still the man for this season)

just some food for thought

The Natrix
03-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Couch lacks the big arm, but his deft touch is perfectly suited for Cleveland's shorter passing game.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/playerProfile.cfm/pid.1141

Buffalo also has a short passing game!!!

were drew is about the long ball!!!
(dont get me wrong drew is still the man for this season)

just some food for thought

You just proved our point.

He is perfectly suited for Cleveland's system yet he failed miserably.

bills_7
03-23-2004, 12:53 PM
lol....

cle sucks

there system sucks

and so did ours last yr

Drew
Couch
Brown

those r three damn good QB's

wouldnt that look great on our depth chart

and he didnt fail miserably the team and OL failed him.... just like the OL failed drew

Felser's Ghost
03-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Not that I'm a Kordell fan... but didn't he have his best season under Mularkey's tutelage? Again, he's not starter material, but as a backup under MM's offense, he could come in if he had to. I say also draft a QB prospect in rounds 1-4 to develop.

BigZ
03-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Here's a listing I found that seems to have the FA up to date althought it didn't have Volek updated yet:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/006/626/

Pickings look slim. Huard is a possibility. Blake. Or else we go with Brown and a rookie (which would be ok with me).

The_Philster
03-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
Even if he was on your team, would you really want anyone to know?

:lol: Good point
Originally posted by Felser's Ghost
Not that I'm a Kordell fan... but didn't he have his best season under Mularkey's tutelage? Again, he's not starter material, but as a backup under MM's offense, he could come in if he had to. I say also draft a QB prospect in rounds 1-4 to develop.

Yes he did...he made, deservedly so, the Pro Bowl after a season with Mularkey as the offensive coordinator. The year before that he sucked...under some coordinator who got punched once by Buddy Ryan...anyone remember his name? :scratch:

The Spaz
03-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

:lol: Good point

Yes he did...he made, deservedly so, the Pro Bowl after a season with Mularkey as the offensive coordinator. The year before that he sucked...under some coordinator who got punched once by Buddy Ryan...anyone remember his name? :scratch:

I choose to forget.:boozer:

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by naugem

LOL... welcome aboard!

I'd go with Blake for under 1.5 million, or Stewart for under 1 Million. I'd also pray for a very healthy QB. Blake is better suited for longer term starting if people want to actually can Bledsoe.

But don't fool yourselves. People like to say Blake won the starting QB jobs with 4 different teams- well- he's lost 4 starting jobs to guys named Kitna, Boller, and McCown. He did lose out to Aaron Brooks- but he's bloomed into a very good starter.

Mr. Miyagi
03-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I'd go with Blake for under 1.5 million, or Stewart for under 1 Million.
I'm with you :up: