View Full Version : Rivers works out.

NC-BILLS44
03-23-2004, 09:21 AM
I thought the workout was today?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#calendar

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/ncsu/story/3442683p-3059765c.html

The Spaz
03-23-2004, 09:25 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Chargers either select Rivers #1 or trade down to 5or so an dselect him. I figured the Steelers we're interested. This is going to be a very, very interesting draft.:up:

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 09:40 AM
if they select rivers number one.. the nfl should reserve the right to take their franchise away and give it to a homeless person.

The Spaz
03-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
if they select rivers number one.. the nfl should reserve the right to take their franchise away and give it to a homeless person.

Hey that organization wouldn't surprise me at all that's why I said that.

Devin
03-23-2004, 09:55 AM
mark my words Rivers is gonna be a star, or one of these other goofy ass gamebreaker, playmaker....whatever nicknames.

Unbelievably accurate and smart. I pray he falls to us.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 09:56 AM
the thing is.. i feel the same way.. but he could easily be a horrible nfl qb too.. you just never know.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-23-2004, 09:58 AM
I might be the only one here that thinks Rivers is going to be an average QB. I am one that thinks his delivery will be a problem in the NFL and his arm isn't strong enough. That being said, if the Bills decide to take a chance on him I will become a fan.

Devin
03-23-2004, 09:59 AM
im willing to agree there, its a tough call. BUT, if Rivers plays the smart ball he always has, with his instincts, smarts and accuracy he could be lethal and compliment our 2-3 guys very well. His ability to flow through his progressions is quite impressive.

NC-BILLS44
03-23-2004, 10:00 AM
RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devin
03-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Indeed!

ryjam282
03-23-2004, 10:04 AM
I sure hope we had some people at the workout. I am not a huge fan at all of taking a QB in the first round if they are commited to Bledsoe but there is no way in hell we can pass on this guy. I would even venture to say that we have to try and move up a few spots to grab him before the Steelers have a shot at him. He will be a superstar in the NFL. Mark my words, I have watched him play countless times and he has all the tools and the most important tool is, he wins the big game. Beat FSU a few times and was MVP of every bowl game he played in including the Senior Bowl. In that game, he was supposed to get only 2 series' and he did so well that they just kept putting him out there. He honestly could be the next Jimbo for us, he will be that good.

Devin
03-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
I sure hope we had some people at the workout. I am not a huge fan at all of taking a QB in the first round if they are commited to Bledsoe but there is no way in hell we can pass on this guy. I would even venture to say that we have to try and move up a few spots to grab him before the Steelers have a shot at him. He will be a superstar in the NFL. Mark my words, I have watched him play countless times and he has all the tools and the most important tool is, he wins the big game. Beat FSU a few times and was MVP of every bowl game he played in including the Senior Bowl. In that game, he was supposed to get only 2 series' and he did so well that they just kept putting him out there. He honestly could be the next Jimbo for us, he will be that good.

I agree ry, the more I watch him and read about him the more I like. Thing I like most is he is a smart QB, doesnt take sacks and is 2nd in NCAA yardage because he finds the open man. I think he could really help our 2-3 recievers because hes so good at getting the ball out accuratley.

And when/if we release Bledsoe next season we will eb thanking ourselves.

Can you imagine:

QB - Rivers/Bledsoe
WR - Moulds/Reed/Shaw/Clayton-Evans
RB - WM/TH

We sort out our OL and we have no excuses, thats a hell of a lineup.

NC-BILLS44
03-23-2004, 10:10 AM

:clap:

:pray:

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I might be the only one here that thinks Rivers is going to be an average QB. I am one that thinks his delivery will be a problem in the NFL and his arm isn't strong enough. That being said, if the Bills decide to take a chance on him I will become a fan.

some scouts have that concern too.. all i can say is that there are obvious cases where a slight sidearm delivery has not = nfl disaster... and it also leads to his lightning quick release and accuracy.. and i can also seeing it be more of a concern if he wasnt 6'5".. but he is a big man..

as far as his arm strength.. i think he showed in the senior bowl that he can launch the ball.. and he did his whole career at ncst.. there are tons of qbs like brady and pennington and montana that never had dominant arms and were/are very successful.. and tons more cases of strong armed guys like drukenmiller, leaf, and bledsoe that are not good qbs..

i think the main things that i like about him is the accuracy.. the very quick release (ie... not holding the ball too long) .. the functional scrambling ability (ie.. marino's ability to skirt around in the pocket like he had a 6th sense about pressure).. and his performance in big big games.. 5 bowl games in his career.. 5 wins.. 5 mvp awards to go with that.

it is easy to love a guy like rivers..

but at best.. a qb in the first round is 50-50 no matter what kind of prospect he is.. so i understand your concerns, Ghost.

NC-BILLS44
03-23-2004, 10:28 AM
We need a QB to take over when DB is done. RIVERS is the MAN!

ShadowHawk7
03-23-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm all for it, unless sum stud (Wilfork, Taylor, Mike W., etc.) falls to us. Rivers should be great, and we have no IMMEDIATE holes to fill. Trading down, grabbing Carrey and a xtra 2nd rounder would be my dream, since this draft is so deep.

lordofgun
03-23-2004, 11:16 AM
That is one low release!

http://i.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/peter_king/03/19/mmqb/tx_rivers_all.jpg

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM
that is still higher than some other qb that is not 6'5"..

and he doesnt always throw it that low.. that was probably a dump off to a back.. (could you image having a qb that realized that was an option).. brett farve does the same thing.

lordofgun
03-23-2004, 11:23 AM
that is still higher than some other qb that is not 6'5"..

and he doesnt always throw it that low.. that was probably a dump off to a back.. (could you image having a qb that realized that was an option).. brett farve does the same thing.

You can dump-off to a back? :eek:

LIQUID24
03-23-2004, 11:25 AM
You can think of it as being a 6'1" QB with a normal delivery.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun

apparently not in our system... because an 11 year vet would surely know how to do that if he was worth a ****.

lordofgun
03-23-2004, 11:26 AM
He's 6'5" and has a 6'5" release. :eek:

At least it's higher that Flutie's release. :up:

Devin
03-23-2004, 11:28 AM
hes not only 6'5 but that release you see there has him at 71% accuracy, the most accurate in college football in 2003. Not Manning, Not Big Ben...RIVERS!

Devin
03-23-2004, 11:29 AM
For those of you concerned about the ball being batted at the line, of 483 attempts, he had 4 deflected.

Not bad id say. This kid is a stud. Mark my words.

lordofgun
03-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Devin
hes not only 6'5 but that release you see there has him at 71% accuracy, the most accurate in college football in 2003. Not Manning, Not Big Ben...RIVERS!

In high school, I threw underhand and had an amazing 84% accuracy rating. I wonder why I wasn't a first-round pick. :(

Devin
03-23-2004, 11:39 AM
smartass.

carybillsfan
03-23-2004, 11:53 AM
I think the thing about rivers is that although his release is lower and un-orthodox, he releases the ball very early in his motion forward. The ball like shoots out his hand, superfast -- like nothing i've ever seen before. On deep routes he can get the ball there in a hurry and when it cross the line it is much higher than you would expect for his 3/4 arm release. I hope we get him, I don't see how we will though, but when you get a chance to see him in person you'll appreciate him much more. I really don't see a downside to him, he and manning are the top qb's this year, but a lot can go wrong when you get to the pros injuries, poor line protection. Only the future will tell, hopefully in a Bills uniform.

Lump
03-23-2004, 11:56 AM
DB is already done!

Devin
03-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Well the great thing (yet another) about Rivers is his pocket presence, hes very aware of whats going on around him and is rarely sacked.

Hes 6'5 so hes a pretty big boy, and while he doesnt have the strongest arm in the world hes certainly no slouch.

His biggest downfall is hes not that mobile, but as one scout pointed out none of them are this year.

Bmax
03-23-2004, 12:26 PM
I'd rather take losman in rd 2 then spend big money on riveres in rd one...Too Risky......

Bmax

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 12:39 PM
In high school, I threw underhand and had an amazing 84% accuracy rating. I wonder why I wasn't a first-round pick. :(

probably because of attitude problems.

Originally posted by Devin
Well the great thing (yet another) about Rivers is his pocket presence, hes very aware of whats going on around him and is rarely sacked.

Hes 6'5 so hes a pretty big boy, and while he doesnt have the strongest arm in the world hes certainly no slouch.

His biggest downfall is hes not that mobile, but as one scout pointed out none of them are this year.

i think that he moves around fine.. he is not a statue.. he was rolling out all day long at the senior bowl to show off the fact that he can be effective on the move.. and in fact.. that long 65 yard bomb to devery henderson was on a roll out play to the left.

lordofgun
03-23-2004, 12:54 PM
probably because of attitude problems.

:mad: You son of a...

venis2k1
03-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
....I'm all for it, unless sum stud (Wilfork, Taylor, Mike W., etc.) falls to us...

i would shoot myself if we drafted wilfork. he reminds me of Jimmy kennedy of last year. rated high in september, slightly slipped by january, falling fast by april, no impact rookie year.

Michael82
03-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly

I feel the same way! No to Rivers at #13! No to a QB in the 1st round. :mad:

Michael82
03-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Bmax
I'd rather take losman in rd 2 then spend big money on riveres in rd one...Too Risky......

Bmax

I agree! I would love to see Roy Williams in round 1 and JP Losman in round 2. :D

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS RIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: I AGREE 100% WE GOTTA GET THIS GUY

Novacane
03-23-2004, 03:45 PM
That is one low release!

http://i.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/peter_king/03/19/mmqb/tx_rivers_all.jpg

Thats higher than Fluties release when he does those jump passes.

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 04:31 PM
:rofl:

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 04:33 PM

apparently not in our system... because an 11 year vet would surely know how to do that if he was worth a ****.

Yeah- Gash was wide open down the sidelines after going in motion.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Thats higher than Fluties release when he does those jump passes.

Originally posted by Dozerdog
Yeah- Gash was wide open down the sidelines after going in motion.

no.. but henry was.. several times... no?

Bert102176
03-23-2004, 10:33 PM
I want Rivers really badly in a Bills uniform next year

The Spaz
03-23-2004, 10:35 PM

no.. but henry was.. several times... no?

Was Henry on the field during 3rd downs?

The_Philster
03-24-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Was Henry on the field during 3rd downs?

Maybe about 5% of the time..if that

ryjam282
03-24-2004, 07:29 AM
Why would Henry be on the field on 3rd down.....That is cleary a passing down, whether it's 3rd and half and inch or 3rd and half the field.

Ingtar33
03-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Well, i just got the tape of his throwing drills (from the workout)... and am going over it. He's a good QB... but our department seems to agree with me he reminds us a bit too much of Danny Wuerffel to take a shot at in the 1st round.

I’ll give you an idea of what I mean. They both have the exact same throwing mechanics, They both put up almost identical numbers in college.

Wuerffel: 708 of 1,170 at 61% completion for 10,875 yards and 114 touchdowns 163.56 QBR (started three years)
Rivers: 1147 of 1,710 at 67% completion for 13,484 yards and 95 touchdowns 144.16 QBR (started four years)

Now these are double edged numbers… as clearly the level of talent surrounding Wuerffel was much higher than Rivers, at the same time Wuerffel played a much higher level of competition year after year than Rivers (SEC vs ACC).

Of course numbers in college do not translate to the pros well, Rivers (6’5”) is a bit bigger than Wuerffel (6’1”), though their arm strength, accuracy and release are comparable. He looks so similar it sort of frightens us here. And I know we are not the only ones who have seen the comparison.

Does this mean Rivers will be a failure? Not at all. Tom Brady is Wuerffel’s size, has a worse arm, and slower release, yet he is a far superior NFL QB for his adjustment to the pro game. I can only go with my gut in the end, and say if we were talking aobut him in the 2nd round I’d feel very comfortable with selecting him and taking a chance. At 13 it frankly scares me.

Besides, wasn’t TD crucified for taking a player who wouldn’t help the team last year (Willis)? Well I’ve got news for you, even if Rivers is the real deal, he’ll not help us win this season either.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
thanks for the breakdown ing.. when is your draft preview coming out!?

i know everyone has a gut feeling about players.. my gut tells me this guy is gonna be a big time star.. and my gut also tells me that something just doesnt sit right with me on Big ben.. Eli i feel is probably the safest pick of the three... my gut tells me losman is going to be a total dud.. and i cant put my finger on why.

so what does your gut tell you about rivers, losman, ben and eli?

Ingtar33
03-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Ben is the true winner of the group... though he might take a year or two sitting on a bench before he's ready for the pro game. Far too much natural talent, and with a decent coach, he could become another Elway. Value 3-10

Eli... I'm not thrilled with, something doesn't sit right with me, and in this draft his pure talent and potential only measure up to a mid to late first round pick (in value vs risk)... in total value I’d have him at 10-30, depending on my mood. I still think this is being influenced by his pedigree, some days I think he’s worth something like a 30-45… sometimes a 20-30… but I think in the end he’s not a bad risk at 20, so I split the difference and make it 10-30

Rivers, as I said, makes me comfortable at any pick from 30-45...

Loseman... he's a fun one. I actually feel a little safer about him than Rivers, though he wasn't anywhere near as accomplished. He's another one who i would feel good about anywhere from 30-45.

Now my gut has been wrong in the past, I was fairly convinced Kennedy would be a Stud, only to see him balloon to 400lbs and basically quit the Rams. However with QBs I think I have a fairly solid track record.

Now my "rankings" are not a prediction of draft status, but a measure of risk/reward vs the depth of this years draft. Some years QBs like Caar whom I felt was a 5-15 pick in 2002, would see me rate him as a 5-10, or even (like this year) a 25-35. Leftwitch was a gold plated no.1 for both 2002 and 2003 (and based upon my reviews of him in college i think he was better than this years crop as well and would make him no.1 in this year as well).

So you could say I feel about as comfortable with Rivers as I was with Caar. The trick is this draft is so deep, at QB, and elsewhere, that I feal the use of the 13th pick on Rivers as a highly risky pick.

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Why would Henry be on the field on 3rd down.....That is cleary a passing down, whether it's 3rd and half and inch or 3rd and half the field.

You must have the Kevin Gilbride mentality.:dizzy:

Bulldog
03-24-2004, 12:04 PM

You must have the Kevin Gilbride mentality.:dizzy:

I have a feeling he was being sarcastic.

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog

I have a feeling he was being sarcastic.

I hope so.:up:

ryjam282
03-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Yes, I was being sarcastic....

Ing, thanks for the breakdown. I didn't really think of the Wuerfull thing till I read your post. I am with T on this one, I just have one of those feelings about Rivers. He will be a star and I hope it is with the Buffalo Bills. Losman, I am not into this guy. Something about him just makes me pessimistic about him.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
So you could say I feel about as comfortable with Rivers as I was with Caar. The trick is this draft is so deep, at QB, and elsewhere, that I feal the use of the 13th pick on Rivers as a highly risky pick.

thanks for the good break down..

about big ben.. does it worry you that the only real tough team he played was iowa and they worked him over? i guess that is what my hang up with him is.

also.. just off the top of your head.. what do you see the bills doing on day one of the draft?

Ingtar33
03-24-2004, 12:11 PM
BTW: the draft preview should be finished by me sometime around the 15th or 20th of April.

oh... and not to toot my own horn but who said back around november "look for Sean Taylor's stock to drop before the draft when he runs a slow 40 time"?

Taylor ran a 4.51 at miami's pro day. How did i know this back in November? Well, Taylor had been touting a sub 4.4 40 time for some time, but anyone who watched him play could clearly tell he was not that fast. Taylor is a superb Free Safety, and would make the perfect 1st round pick... and this might even be an option if we are looking to trade up if Taylor falls past Detroit.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Yes, I was being sarcastic....

Ing, thanks for the breakdown. I didn't really think of the Wuerfull thing till I read your post. I am with T on this one, I just have one of those feelings about Rivers. He will be a star and I hope it is with the Buffalo Bills. Losman, I am not into this guy. Something about him just makes me pessimistic about him.

i think i was indifferent about him prior to the senior bowl.. i have watched him play 3 times and while he wasnt bad.. he didnt blow me away by any means.. i thought a guy like bradley van pelt was much more fun to watch.. but then at the senior bowl the talk of his selfishness / being a stats player type guy, ect.. started coming up.. his attitude basically.. and i think that started to sour me on him.. then to see him just play average in the senior bowl, really just didnt leave a good taste in my mouth.. especially while rivers was just playing lights out.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 12:15 PM
BTW: the draft preview should be finished by me sometime around the 15th or 20th of April.

oh... and not to toot my own horn but who said back around november "look for Sean Taylor's stock to drop before the draft when he runs a slow 40 time"?

Taylor ran a 4.51 at miami's pro day. How did i know this back in November? Well, Taylor had been touting a sub 4.4 40 time for some time, but anyone who watched him play could clearly tell he was not that fast. Taylor is a superb Free Safety, and would make the perfect 1st round pick... and this might even be an option if we are looking to trade up if Taylor falls past Detroit.

the 15th of APRIL!!!! that is forever.. :confused: :mad: :spanku:

i have seen a couple mocks that had him falling to the jets.. and they just signed reggie tounge.. so maybe there is a slight light at the tunnel for taylor.

Ingtar33
03-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Hmm... well I have no idea what TD will do, but this is what it looks like.

QB and OL in rounds one and two, not necessarily in that order.

I would like to see us add a stud at Guard to the inside of our line since its clear we are keeping Teague at center. I think it will all come down to what’s around. If madness breaks out, and Ben falls to 13 (do to a wave of hysteria coinciding with some strange lunar alignment) I would find it hard to believe TD would pass on him... same goes for a player like Roy Williams or Sean Taylor.

But barring a miracle, I figure trade down, draft a guard (Vernon Carey OG/OT, Miami), and pick up an extra second. With the 13th pick in the second take a player like Lee Evans (speedster, deep threat WR), and the later second we gained in the trade take someone like Loseman.

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Hmm... well I have no idea what TD will do, but this is what it looks like.

QB and OL in rounds one and two, not necessarily in that order.

I would like to see us add a stud at Guard to the inside of our line since its clear we are keeping Teague at center. I think it will all come down to what’s around. If madness breaks out, and Ben falls to 13 (do to a wave of hysteria coinciding with some strange lunar alignment) I would find it hard to believe TD would pass on him... same goes for a player like Roy Williams or Sean Taylor.

But barring a miracle, I figure trade down, draft a guard (Vernon Carey OG/OT, Miami), and pick up an extra second. With the 13th pick in the second take a player like Lee Evans (speedster, deep threat WR), and the later second we gained in the trade take someone like Loseman.

I could deal with that scenario!:cheers:

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 12:29 PM
i am starting to wonder if they will even take a lineman..

they just resigned tucker to a fair sized deal, 4 years.. and sullivan.. for 3 years..

right now.. we have
jennings
sullivan
teague
villarrial
williams

back ups...
price - not getting cut.. he has been great in relief
tucker - just resigned
sobieski - just drafted
pucillo - only possible cut that is see..

do we keep 9 OL or 8? if it is 9 then maybe we grab one guy.. if it is 8.. we might be done.

Ingtar33
03-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Well i supose we could alway cross our fingers and assume Sobieski rounds into form.

Once upon a time he looked like a sure top 10 pick in the draft...

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 12:39 PM
i am starting to wonder if they will even take a lineman..

they just resigned tucker to a fair sized deal, 4 years.. and sullivan.. for 3 years..

right now.. we have
jennings
sullivan
teague
villarrial
williams

back ups...
price - not getting cut.. he has been great in relief
tucker - just resigned
sobieski - just drafted
pucillo - only possible cut that is see..

do we keep 9 OL or 8? if it is 9 then maybe we grab one guy.. if it is 8.. we might be done.

Also don't forget if we sign Bobbie Williams.:up::beer:

ryjam282
03-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't that be just Coy Wire's luck. We get Milloy to take him out of his SS spot and now he is talking of moving to FS and then if Sean Taylor were available, he would again be a special teamer...I would be upset if Taylor was a Bills though. I really can't see that many teams passing on him, especially Detroit.

Ingtar33
03-24-2004, 12:55 PM
About Ben and Iowa...

Ben never had the supporting cast Leftwich did at Marshal, and he tore Iowa a new one his sophomore year (nearly upsetting the hawkeyes).

In 2002 he threw for 343 yards and three touchdown passes (1 INT) against Iowa... he also ran for 91 yards threw for 2 TDs 2 Ints against the hawkeyes in a game against them in 2001 (his 2nd game EVER in college ball); he also had in that game an 80 yard TD run

He is perhaps the most accurate passer ive seen on the run since Elway.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Also don't forget if we sign Bobbie Williams.:up::beer:

if we sign williams.. we are definately done.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 01:22 PM
About Ben and Iowa...

Ben never had the supporting cast Leftwich did at Marshal, and he tore Iowa a new one his sophomore year (nearly upsetting the hawkeyes).

In 2002 he threw for 343 yards and three touchdown passes (1 INT) against Iowa... he also ran for 91 yards threw for 2 TDs 2 Ints against the hawkeyes in a game against them in 2001 (his 2nd game EVER in college ball); he also had in that game an 80 yard TD run

He is perhaps the most accurate passer ive seen on the run since Elway.

cool.. that makes me feel somewhat better.

Devin
03-24-2004, 01:47 PM
I understand/somewhat agree with Ing's assessment of Rivers, naturally he knows far more about the subject I guess I just believe Rivers will be a great QB. Did Wuerrful sit for a year first?

Anyway id be more then happy with either him or Ben. Ben is a far more mobile QB thats for sure.

Novacane
03-24-2004, 01:48 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Chargers either select Rivers #1 or trade down to 5or so an dselect him.:

Peter King was talking about this on WGR yesterday. He spent a couple days with AJ SMith and gets the impression the Chargers really like Rivers. He thinks their goal is to trade down to 7-10 and draft him.

Devin
03-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Peter King was talking about this on WGR yesterday. He spent a couple days with AJ SMith and gets the impression the Chargers really like Rivers. He thinks their goal is to trade down to 7-10 and draft him.

MOTHER F%$*#R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 04:15 PM
he still has to find someone to trade down with.. i think that will be hard.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Lump
DB is already done!

He is?? :scratch: He looked great in the practice that the BILLS had today. I saw some clips on WGRZ Ch. 2 news at 5 HE'S BAAAAACK!!

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 10:15 PM
i think the main things that i like about him is the accuracy.. the very quick release (ie... not holding the ball too long) .. the functional scrambling ability (ie.. marino's ability to skirt around in the pocket like he had a 6th sense about pressure).. and his performance in big big games.. 5 bowl games in his career.. 5 wins.. 5 mvp awards to go with that.

When I hear this, I really want to get him on the team. Marino was/is one of my top 3 QBs of all time (Favre is #1 on my list bar none). I remember SO many f**king times Bruuuuce was literally 2 feet from sacking his ass and he'd flip out the ball in a nanosecond, complete the pass and avoid the sack. And his special leadership was second only to Kelly during those years.

I hated to love him...and loved to hate him.

:goodbad:

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by kal123
When I hear this, I really want to get him on the team. Marino was/is one of my top 3 QBs of all time (Favre is #1 on my list bar none). I remember SO many f**king times Bruuuuce was literally 2 feet from sacking his ass and he'd flip out the ball in a nanosecond, complete the pass and avoid the sack. And his special leadership was second only to Kelly during those years.

I hated to love him...and loved to hate him.

:goodbad:

i hear you man..

Ing.. can you comment on rivers release? some scouts have said that it is the quickest since marino.. true?

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 11:09 PM
I mean seriously....a quick release coupled with accuracy and good decision making is MUCH better than a cannon with a wind up pitch.

Sure, he may not be able to chuck it 60 yards down field (although I don't know this...just hypothesizing), but how many times are you going bomb it *successfully" during a season? Defenses catch up to that type of play pretty quickly, e.g., Drew in the second half of '02. DBs play back, DEs rush like mad men, and the QB doesn't have time to wind it up (or wait for the receivers to get deep for that matter).

I want all of these of course, but in order:

Primary:
1. A true, competitive leader who makes great decisions
2. Accuracy
3. Quick release

Secondary:
4. Mobility (not as important if you have 1-3 above)
5. Big arm
6. Big physical stature

Whoever fits this mold I want. :D

Devin
03-24-2004, 11:21 PM
thats what I mean, I truly take into account Ing's assessment as he knows his stuff but jeeez I read this stuff and watch him play.........his physical abilities are great but its his instincts and smarts that really get me. I mean it truly is almost like a 6th sense he doesnt take sacks and always finds the open man.

Soon as Lou puts it up you guys can read the article I wrote about Rivers. Tons of info about him.

Devin
03-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by kal123
I mean seriously....a quick release coupled with accuracy and good decision making is MUCH better than a cannon with a wind up pitch.

Sure, he may not be able to chuck it 60 yards down field (although I don't know this...just hypothesizing), but how many times are you going bomb it *successfully" during a season? Defenses catch up to that type of play pretty quickly, e.g., Drew in the second half of '02. DBs play back, DEs rush like mad men, and the QB doesn't have time to wind it up (or wait for the receivers to get deep for that matter).

I want all of these of course, but in order:

Primary:
1. A true, competitive leader who makes great decisions
2. Accuracy
3. Quick release

Secondary:
4. Mobility (not as important if you have 1-3 above)
5. Big arm
6. Big physical stature

Whoever fits this mold I want. :D

Rivers has your first 3 and number 6. Hes huge at 6'5 about 236, hes not a HUGE arm but hes deffo not weak.

Bless his heart hes about as mobile as a doorknob. Granted his instincts and release compensate this, and he certainly is mobile enough in the pocket, but if he scrambles it aint gonna be pretty.