PDA

View Full Version : Corey Dillon threatens retirement if Cincy doesn't shape up

RedEyE
10-16-2002, 06:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1016/1446747.html

Frustrated Dillon threatens retirement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

CINCINNATI -- Corey Dillon says if the Bengals don't get their act together, he will retire after this season.

Apparently fed up with all the losing -- the Bengals are the only winless team remaining in the NFL -- Dillon says he might not come back next season if major changes are not made.

"They better get it right, or, at the end of the season, I've got a surprise for them," Dillon told a team employee in an interview posted on the Bengals' Web site. "I'm tired of it. Six years of this B.S. I ain't lying to you.-- I'm sick of this crap, period."

Dillon also told the team Web site that he has options other than playing out his contract. "I've got plenty; believe that," he said.

After Tuesday's practice, Dillon would not elaborate on his comments when approached by reporters. This came one day after Bengals' linebacker Takeo Spikes said the situation and attitude surrounding the franchise was the worst he's seen in his five years with the team.

After Sunday's loss to the Steelers, running back Lorenzo Neal also lashed out.

We're the laughingstock of the league,'' Neal said. "It's embarrassing. It's a disgrace. Teams just look at you with no respect.''

"When you're in the position we're in, you're going to have this kind of thing," Bengals president Mike Brown said. "It's always a challenge for people to sit back and not flare out.

"Heck, I've said things that aren't too dissimilar in the sense that, when I'm there and we're getting trounced, I might say something more than, 'Gee wiz.' I think our guys are frustrated, they're hurt, and their comments reflect that. There isn't anybody down here who is feeling good about life right now."

Head coach Dick LeBeau said he didn't read what Dillon and Spikes had said. Told what Dillon had said, LeBeau said, "If you talked to him today, you'd get a different story." Dillon is in his sixth season with the Bengals. After the last game of his third season, 1999, Dillon said he would never play again for the Bengals and later said he would rather "flip burgers." Obviously he did not follow through on his threat.

This is the second time that the Bengals have started 0-6 with Dillon on the team. They are the lowest-scoring team in the NFL, and their struggling passing attack has allowed defenses to focus on Dillon. He takes a pounding each game, but has just 24 victories in 86 games to show for it.

If he retires, Dillon would forfeit $6.3 million of his $10.5 million signing bonus. He signed a five-year contract worth $26 million last year. Dillon also would give up base salaries of $3 million, $3.3 million and $3.95 million in the next three years. His contract also includes the Bengals' standard loyalty clause, which gives the club the right to recoup signing bonus money paid to a player if he is excessively critical of the team in public.

Brown said Dillon didn't "go beyond the line" and violate the clause.

Dillon already is the leading rusher in franchise history and owns the NFL's individual single-game rushing record of 278 yards, set Oct. 22, 2000, in a victory over the Denver Broncos. Dillon has rushed for 464 yards so far this season with a respectable 4.2-yard per-carry average.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

PA Season Ticket Holder
10-16-2002, 10:26 PM
I wish we would've drafted him instead of Antowain Smith.

RedEyE
10-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder

No Doubt!!

SABURZFAN
10-16-2002, 11:41 PM
i can't say that i don't blame him.b.sanders did it.

The_Philster
10-17-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder

If only we had had an offensive coordinator who didn't go with that stupid "running back by committee" thing, Antowain would have had a better career here.....of and having a real RB coach other than Bishop Harris would have helped as well.

WG
10-23-2002, 06:26 AM
The man's an idiot! He should never have signed that contract extension as he did. All he would have had to do is sit a year or play, and then he would have been able to go.

But he believed the owners, in the absence of any evidence at all over the years, that they would do more to win. Uhhuh! Oh yeah, all those additions they made, the big names.

No, I don't feel sorry for Dillon in the least. If he's that stupid, then he deserves to finish out his career on the Bungals. Retirement probably would be a good option, but I'm sure he needs the money. If he couldn't reason past the first issue w/ the team, somehow I doubt his money management skills are tops.

At least this is his own fault and no one elses.

Ebenezer
10-23-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
If only we had had an offensive coordinator who didn't go with that stupid "running back by committee" thing, Antowain would have had a better career here.....

They went to RB by committee because they couldn't afford to have 1 star emerge at RB. The salary cap was so screwed up that if Smith, Bryson or Linton had emerged as a bona fide star they would have not been able to keep them anyway. In other words, had they drafted Dillion, whether RB by committee or he become the player he can be when Cincy plays him, he would not be here today because of the salcap.

Fat Tony
10-23-2002, 08:58 AM
I think youi are wrong, Eb-

He probably would have recieved Eric Mould's money and Eric would be an Eagle this season.

WRs are easier to replace than bonafide 1200-1500 yd per season RBs.

Behind this line, he could easily be a top 3 RB. He's better than Henry

WG
10-23-2002, 10:15 AM
I don't know there PA. According to Judge the man's not a competitor!

Right Judge! ;)