PDA

View Full Version : Does Drew Bledsoe get PAID like a ELITE QB?

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 02:00 PM
just wondering.

:baghead:

The Spaz
03-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Please people cut the ****.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 02:04 PM
just answer the damn question.

lordofgun
03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Payton Manning elite or Tom Brady Elite?

The Spaz
03-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Who signed him to that deal.

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
I just wish TD would cut his salary down to $4 mil, get rid of the $2 mil buy out (save $4 mil against the cap) and this would all go away.

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Depends on your scale- He's not making 8-9 Million or more thet Favre makes, and was a cap hit 3 times less than Peyton Manning was on the colts last season.

He made comparable money with Brunell.

Patrick76777
03-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
just wondering.

:baghead:

I didn’t say he didn’t! I don’t know what you’re trying to prove?

But you did say that people think he’s a Superstar Stud QB! I said that people on this site did not believe that! And it looks like you were right, 3 people voted yes!

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 02:14 PM
I think for his experience, his numbers (in a historical sense), his accomplishments (like him or not- he's led teams to the playoffs)- he's paid about average.

He's making Kerry Collins type money

The Spaz
03-23-2004, 02:16 PM
I can see if TD signed Bledsoe to that contract but he didn't NE did. Like EB already staed I would like Bledsoe to have his salary reduced.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Depends on your scale- He's not making 8-9 Million or more thet Favre makes, and was a cap hit 3 times less than Peyton Manning was on the colts last season.

He made comparable money with Brunell.

well.. he is scheduled to make 6 mill in salary, and 2 mill in bonus this year.. that is 8 mill.

Originally posted by Patrick76777
I didn’t say he didn’t! I don’t know what you’re trying to prove?

But you did say that people think he’s a Superstar Stud QB! I said that people on this site did not believe that! And it looks like you were right, 3 people voted yes!

my point is.. ok.. maybe the people on this board do not think he is a superstar qb.. but someone does.. because we are paying him that money.

Originally posted by The Spaz
Who signed him to that deal.
that doesnt matter.. they were smart enough to pawn him off.. and our first round pick.. now WE are the ones that are still paying for him.. after his last 2 seasons.. how stupid does that make us look.

The Spaz
03-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Can't do anything about it except move on.

Patrick76777
03-23-2004, 02:24 PM

my point is.. ok.. maybe the people on this board do not think he is a superstar qb..

And that was my only point!

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 02:24 PM
i will move on when bledsoe does... right out of buffalo.. or when they at least move his salary down to about what the other bottom of the barrel qbs make.. sorry spaz..

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
And that was my only point!

there are still some out there though.. regardless.. but whatever..

i ***** about him because he is ruining our team.. he is soaking up 6 million right now.. and another 2 million coming up.. and we are still gonna suck.. that pisses me off.. sorry.

justasportsfan
03-23-2004, 02:29 PM
i will move on when bledsoe does... right out of buffalo.. or when they at least move his salary down to about what the other bottom of the barrel qbs make.. sorry spaz..

Tatonka AKA WYSJr. less the stats.

THATHURMANATOR
03-23-2004, 02:35 PM
just answer the damn question.

The problem with that T is that Patrick was just proving a point that no one really thinks that Bledsoe is an untouchable and can do no wrong. I have seen many posts that are phrased as if there is an army of Zombie Bledsoe fans that believe he has been playing fine or can do no wrong. That being said we can't control what he makes so I dont' think that is a good argument.

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Tatonka-

I think you are letting your personal hatred for Bledsoe really cloud your football judgement. He is paid about average for a starting QB.

Did he earn his money? Maybe not. But he had help in sucking.

But it does drive ne nuts when people use abstract arguments to rehash the same old crapola.

To answer your question- he's not overpaid. (in comparison to those on the list) You want to take a different direction? Go bring in Warner - give up a fat draft pick and cap space. Or Bulger- you can get him for Volek like money but it will cost 2 fat draft picks- and then we will hear all about the Williams and Rivers picks that got away.

Or overpay for Volek- good potential but potential none the less.

Brunell? See the Warner argument.

Kordell Stewart ? Tim Couch? You will be reposting the same arguments next offseason about the QB.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/stats.asp?slug=BC-FBP-LGNS-SALARYTAGS-R

QUARTERBACKS - 2004 Salaries
============

PLAYER SALARY
------ ------
1. PEYTON MANNING, INDIANAPOLIS $15.357 MILLION
2. BRETT FAVRE, GREEN BAY 9.158
3. MARK BRUNELL, WASHINGTON 8.750
4. KURT WARNER, ST. LOUIS 8.662
5. TIM COUCH, CLEVELAND 7.864 (FRANCHISE NUMBER $9.958)
6. DONOVAN MCNABB, PHILADELPHIA 7.824
7. CHAD PENNINGTON, NY JETS 6.836
8. JEFF GARCIA, SAN FRANCISCO 6.385
9. KERRY COLLINS, NY GIANTS 5.450
10. DREW BLEDSOE, BUFFALO 5.400 (TRANSITION NUMBER $8.169)

Patrick76777
03-23-2004, 02:37 PM

there are still some out there though.. regardless.. but whatever..

i ***** about him because he is ruining our team.. he is soaking up 6 million right now.. and another 2 million coming up.. and we are still gonna suck.. that pisses me off.. sorry.

He has one season left! Max! And if plays poorly again and we can get a backup worth a s#it he will probably only get 2 or 3 games in! (Maybe that's why I was so pissed about Volek)

I can live with that!

We can't avoid the $2 mill! It's there and we have to deal with it. Just be glad we're not signing him to the extension for 7 mil.

The only way this guy is back next year is if he throws for 4500 yards 23 TDs 4 ints and we win the SB! and I don't know about you, but if he does, I wouldn't mind keeping him! But I'm not holding my breath!

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
The problem with that T is that Patrick was just proving a point that no one really thinks that Bledsoe is an untouchable and can do no wrong. I have seen many posts that are phrased as if there is an army of Zombie Bledsoe fans that believe he has been playing fine or can do no wrong. That being said we can't control what he makes so I dont' think that is a good argument.

The lack of a contract restructure is speaking volumes...
1. TD doesn't have confidence on giving him a long term deal.
2. DB is playing hard ball and want security.

The longer is goes on the more it appears that DB is on a 1 year try out...and by Halloween we will know if he passed the test.

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Tatonka-.

Or overpay for Volek- good potential but potential none the less.

Brunell? See the Warner argument.

Kordell Stewart ? Tim Couch? You will be reposting the same arguments next offseason about the QB.

Time to ask the obvious question...Wys never answered it...

Tatonka...if not DB....who? Who is your alternative?

justasportsfan
03-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Blake? :idunno:

Novacane
03-23-2004, 02:57 PM

None now. There were two..............Bunnel and Garcia.

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
None now. There were two..............Bunnel and Garcia.

I could imagine the screaming as soon as either of the two came here and were mediocre. Brunnel may still not start in Washington.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 03:01 PM

i feel like i have answered this question a thousand times..

the answer is.. anyone..

any other FA or rookie qb can put up the numbers bledsoe did last season and do it for ALOT less..

your next question is gonna be.. so your happy with a scrub qb? no.. i am not.. but obviously our front office is happy with a scrub qb.. bledsoes 11/24 numbers put him in the bottom % of the league.. so again.. i say.. if we are committed with going into next season with a crappy qb.. at least get a crappy qb that doesnt cost alot.

and patrick.. i wish i could believe that bledsoe only has one more year.. but i dont believe that.. i dont think TD will give up on him.. there will just be more excuses by the team.. about the line jelling, the coaches, the lack of wr talent.. whatever.. teh same crap we heard for the last 2 years.

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 03:03 PM

the answer is.. anyone..

yeah...that's an alternative...

Novacane
03-23-2004, 03:05 PM

I could imagine the screaming as soon as either of the two came here and were mediocre. Brunnel may still not start in Washington.

SO you have a crystal ball? They may have thrived here. We'll never know.

Devin
03-23-2004, 03:06 PM
basically hes saying we can pay 8 million for absolute crap

or

we can pay 1-2 million for absolute crap

take your pick.

justasportsfan
03-23-2004, 03:08 PM

yeah...that's an alternative... you don't have to like it. Anyone had a great season last year and would've made probowl if Somebody didn't step up.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Devin

or

take your pick.

seems that TD and company will take option A.. and the fans will stand pat and just grin and bear it...

Novacane
03-23-2004, 03:11 PM

or

take your pick.

Well put Devin.

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
SO you have a crystal ball? They may have thrived here. We'll never know.

as DB may thrive under these coaches...my crystal ball is no clearer than yours...you just hate DB and would rather see Mickey Mouse play QB.

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 03:13 PM

or

take your pick.

AVPs base salary was $1 mil.

Novacane
03-23-2004, 03:16 PM

...you just hate DB and would rather see Mickey Mouse play QB.

:rolleyes: Thats ranks right up there in stupidity with you saying the other day me, tatonka , Natrix and the rest of the Bledsoe bashers want the bills to suck next year so we can say we were right about Bledsoe.

Devin
03-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Means nothing. A rookie can come in and toss those numbers.

I dont hate DB by any means, but im also realistic hes getting more money the Donovan Mcnabb to do far less.

For that kind of Cash id draft rivers or ben and have them come in and take a crack at it.

All T is saying is why are we paying so much when we could release drew and sign someone like Kordell or Couch pay them FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR less and have them do =/+ Drew.

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 03:22 PM

the answer is.. anyone..

any other FA or rookie qb can put up the numbers bledsoe did last season and do it for ALOT less..

your next question is gonna be.. so your happy with a scrub qb? no.. i am not.. but obviously our front office is happy with a scrub qb.. bledsoes 11/24 numbers put him in the bottom % of the league.. so again.. i say.. if we are committed with going into next season with a crappy qb.. at least get a crappy qb that doesnt cost alot.

and patrick.. i wish i could believe that bledsoe only has one more year.. but i dont believe that.. i dont think TD will give up on him.. there will just be more excuses by the team.. about the line jelling, the coaches, the lack of wr talent.. whatever.. teh same crap we heard for the last 2 years.

I think the radio show got into your head...

Anybody but bledsoe is not a QB. People get all wierd when they see a Dellehomme or Bulger come out of the woodwork and play well. But for every Bulger there are 5 guys who play miserably.

And again- anybody else back there save 3 or 4 QB supermen would have failed miserably under that coach, behind that line, and with that ridiculously designed and executed offense.

But again- no one cares. Brett Favre would have sucked here too.

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 03:24 PM
well.. he is scheduled to make 6 mill in salary, and 2 mill in bonus this year.. that is 8 mill.

Well- you can easilly argue he was well underpaid in 2002. It's all evened out.

Devin
03-23-2004, 03:26 PM

I think the radio show got into your head...

Anybody but bledsoe is not a QB. People get all wierd when they see a Dellehomme or Bulger come out of the woodwork and play well. But for every Bulger there are 5 guys who play miserably.

And again- anybody else back there save 3 or 4 QB supermen would have failed miserably under that coach, behind that line, and with that ridiculously designed and executed offense.

But again- no one cares. Brett Favre would have sucked here too.

Not necessarilly true (the part about not caring).

While I agree completley that both our line and our coaching blew ass, I think the geenral consensus is going to be under a new staff (one of the best OL coaches in the game if not the best) a somewhat revamped line, and added weapons such as WM and potentially a WR via draft this is Drew's tryout.

This will be a deciding year for him. We are drafting a QB somewhere no two ways about it. And if he doesnt perform i dont see us taking a hit next year. I truly believe that TD knows he cant make excuses for another year of DB if he plays poorly.

THATHURMANATOR
03-23-2004, 03:39 PM
I just don't get it Guys! Take Fairways signature for example. Who is that directed towards??? Thats the point. No one!!! Whats the point of it? Bledsoe was HORRIBLE last year we get the point. He is playing QB for us this year and there is nothing we can do about it except hope for the best. What else can we do? Kordell Stewart, Blake? as veteren backups sure I really don't think they are the answer though either.

I would like for us to get anyone with some exp for an immediate backup. and draft a qb on day one to groom.

Devin
03-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I just don't get it Guys! Take Fairways signature for example. Who is that directed towards??? Thats the point. No one!!! Whats the point of it? Bledsoe was HORRIBLE last year we get the point. He is playing QB for us this year and there is nothing we can do about it except hope for the best. What else can we do? Kordell Stewart, Blake? as veteren backups sure I really don't think they are the answer though either.

I would like for us to get anyone with some exp for an immediate backup. and draft a qb on day one to groom.

Your missing the point of the post. Its about the fact that we are paying drew 8 mil to do something Kordell or Couch could easily do for significantly less.

More of a straight fact rather then opinion.

I agree we need to draft a QB, and no one at this point currently here (DB) or on the market (Kordell, couch..etc) is the answer. Our answer hasnt been drafted yet.

Ebenezer
03-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Your missing the point of the post. Its about the fact that we are paying drew 8 mil to do something Kordell or Couch could easily do for significantly less.

If they busted down DBs salary would people stop complaining??

Devin
03-23-2004, 03:52 PM

lol...people will complain regardless no matter who the QB is.

But that would make it easier to swallow yes.

The_Philster
03-23-2004, 04:03 PM

my point is.. ok.. maybe the people on this board do not think he is a superstar qb.. but someone does.. because we are paying him that money.

someone thought he was at the time...I doubt anyone really does after the last few years.

seems that TD and company will take option A.. and the fans will stand pat and just grin and bear it...
You forgot Option C which is where TD and company think that DB could rebound to become a steady QB under Mularkey like Kordell did.

I doubt it.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 04:19 PM
you just hate DB and would rather see Mickey Mouse play QB.

so silly man.. i dont hate db.. i dont.. i have no reason to hate the guy..

i DO hate the fact that we are paying him 8 million to give us well below average qb play from an 11 year vet.

it is as simple as that..

we could get an equally crappy qb, like kordell, and use that extra 5 million to lock up schobel and jennings.. and draft a rookie this year.. and let him take over next year..

instead.. we will probably end up losing them both.. because drew has to make his 8 million... even though the qb play will still be horrible.

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 04:23 PM

if drew was making 2 million a year.. i would have no problem whatsoever about this upcoming year.. i would cheer as we drafted the qb of the future with the first pick.. and say bye to drew after he was done holding the rookies spot this year..

i would be HAPPY if that were the case.

Originally posted by The_Philster
someone thought he was at the time...I doubt anyone really does after the last few years.

You forgot Option C which is where TD and company think that DB could rebound to become a steady QB under Mularkey like Kordell did.

1. your right.. so why is he still getting paid his 97 pro bowler money?

2. option c has been going on forever..

THurm asked FTG who his sig was directed at?.. i would say.. the front office..

every year drew was around other than 2 good seasons.. it is the same excuses.. and they are all listed in FTG's sig... and i expect, after TD paids drew his 2million bonus on top of his ridiculous 6 million salary.. that they will keep him around after this year and we will hear the same song and dance again next offseason.. about how the line wasnt fixed yet.. or the receivers were not good enough.. or someone got hurt.. or whatever.

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 04:26 PM
so silly man.. i dont hate db.. i dont.. i have no reason to hate the guy..

i DO hate the fact that we are paying him 8 million to give us well below average qb play from an 11 year vet.

it is as simple as that..

we could get an equally crappy qb, like kordell, and use that extra 5 million to lock up schobel and jennings.. and draft a rookie this year.. and let him take over next year..

instead.. we will probably end up losing them both.. because drew has to make his 8 million... even though the qb play will still be horrible.

Now you are extrapilating negativity of one player and laying blame on him to events that haven't even taken place. That's where I really have issues with an argument like this.

If we Don't re-sign Jennings or Schobel- it's not because "Bledsoe prevented it" or "It's Bledsoe's fault"

Schobel & Jennings will get hte same treatment that Winfield got- he will be offered a deal that TD thinks is fair market value that will not hurt the team's salary cap. If Jennings bolts to Atlanta or wherever it's because they overpaid him and/or he wants to play back home in Georgia.

Blaming DB for that is ******ed

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Now you are extrapilating negativity of one player and laying blame on him to events that haven't even taken place. That's where I really have issues with an argument like this.

If we Don't re-sign Jennings or Schobel- it's not because "Bledsoe prevented it" or "It's Bledsoe's fault"

Schobel & Jennings will get hte same treatment that Winfield got- he will be offered a deal that TD thinks is fair market value that will not hurt the team's salary cap. If Jennings bolts to Atlanta or wherever it's because they overpaid him and/or he wants to play back home in Georgia.

Blaming DB for that is ******ed

i dont see it that way.. maybe i can explain it better..

we dont have the money to resign jennings and schobel right now.

if drew bledsoe got paid a salary that he deserves.. we would at least be able to make an attempt to keep them here and extend their deals.

Devin
03-23-2004, 04:48 PM

if drew bledsoe got paid a salary that he deserves.. we would at least be able to make an attempt to keep them here and extend their deals.

Is Drew Overpaid? Yes.

Should he restructure knowing full well hes been less then average, and can help us get him added ammo? Yes.

Can Drew restructuring free up money this year and next for additional help? Yes.

Its not quantum physics.

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 05:03 PM
i dont see it that way.. maybe i can explain it better..

we dont have the money to resign jennings and schobel right now.

If you were Jennings or Schobel- would you re-up a year early? Henry did because he's stupid- blew all his money and was a little desperate.

like most FA's- especially ones who are on the upswing- they will wait until they can test the waters and get the best deal possible.

Look at Winfield- sign for $4 million or so to stay in Buffalo or be patient and get $12 million this season from the Vikes. These guys will wait until next year.

Back to DB- you can takle the $8 million now and have zero headaches in 2005, or you can lower his pay (but spread out some bonus over more years) , or cut him and still have a rudderless ship.

I'll trust TD and let him do what he thinks is best.

Dozerdog
03-23-2004, 05:05 PM
....and ythe Bills could definately re-sign them today if they wanted. Up front signing bonus cash can be spread out over years of the new deal. Would not impact the cap all that much THIS SEASON

saviorbledsoe
03-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Did Bledsoe throw for 4000+ yards and go to the Probowl in 2002? I cant remember?

justasportsfan
03-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Did Bledsoe throw for 4000+ yards and go to the Probowl in 2002? I cant remember? he sure did. What were his nos. last year which is more recent? I can't remember.

saviorbledsoe
03-23-2004, 05:30 PM
"but that was only half the year..............he has sucked since then"

you were all going to say that right?????? That is you exuse for him playing well and this is mine for him playing bad (for those who say I do nothing but tease and torment)

He played inspired and damn good football the first half of 2002 until the rest of the league saw how to correct the defense against him and stop him. KEVIN GILBRIDE, we will all agree was a lousy OC and would never adjust a game plan during a game much less adjust during a season. Thus putting Drew in bad situations. This year was just a continuation and as the bad times came the less confidence Drew had. THIS year will be different. New coaches that are offensive minded and know how to adjust and create new game plans to best utilize the attributes of the players on the roster.

Was any of this Drews fault..........ofcourse.....should Drew restructure?......ofcourse......is this subject way old......ofcourse.

GO BILLS IN 04 !!!!!!!!!!

Tatonka
03-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Did Bledsoe throw for 4000+ yards and go to the Probowl in 2002? I cant remember?

how has he done in his last 26 games.. not the first 6.

justasportsfan
03-23-2004, 05:38 PM
"but that was only half the year..............he has sucked since then"

you were all going to say that right?????? That is you exuse for him playing well and this is mine for him playing bad (for those who say I do nothing but tease and torment)

He played inspired and damn good football the first half of 2002 until the rest of the league saw how to correct the defense against him and stop him. KEVIN GILBRIDE, we will all agree was a lousy OC and would never adjust a game plan during a game much less adjust during a season. Thus putting Drew in bad situations. This year was just a continuation and as the bad times came the less confidence Drew had. THIS year will be different. New coaches that are offensive minded and know how to adjust and create new game plans to best utilize the attributes of the players on the roster.

Was any of this Drews fault..........ofcourse.....should Drew restructure?......ofcourse......is this subject way old......ofcourse.

GO BILLS IN 04 !!!!!!!!!!

You are posting out of emotion rather than logic. I'd love keep Drew for the right price. Winfield played beter than Drew last year and yet we weren't willing to overpay him. If we base Drew's salary to his performance, we're overpaying him. There's no spinning around that even if you want to blame Gilbride.
Henry played with Gilbrides scheme as well but he never gave up and maximized whenever he was handed the ball.

saviorbledsoe
03-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Read above kids.........I knew I should have waited for the exuses first :)

saviorbledsoe
03-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

You are posting out of emotion rather than logic. I'd love keep Drew for the right price. Winfield played beter than Drew last year and yet we weren't willing to overpay him. If we base Drew's salary to his performance, we're overpaying him. There's no spinning around that even if you want to blame Gilbride.
Henry played with Gilbrides scheme as well but he never gave up and maximized whenever he was handed the ball.

What makes your opinion any more logical than mine?

saviorbledsoe
03-23-2004, 05:47 PM
I do agree that he is overpaid but unlike Winfield his deal was made before the Bills. If his contract was up there would be no way he makes theat kind of money. And I DO agree that he should restructure but my point of him STILL being the guy that can win us a Superbowl is still a valid one.

The_Philster
03-23-2004, 06:38 PM
1. your right.. so why is he still getting paid his 97 pro bowler money?

Because the Pats gave him a 10-year deal. I laughed at it when they signed him to it and, if not for the cap and contract knowledge of Clump and Eb, would've been scared about picking him up.
2. option c has been going on forever..

Option C refers to 2004. Kordell sucked under Gilbride and rebounded pretty well when Mularkey took over. Bledsoe's played pretty well in the past when he had good players surrounding him (no QB will win it on his own...not Montana, not Kelly, not Unitas). I honestly have to think that if Kordell could rebound..even for a year, Drew can as well.