PDA

View Full Version : Newsflash for the Bills D Coaching

Buffarama
10-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Psssst.........The opposing team, is going to try and and get one of their top two receivers on Watson, and avoid Clements and Winfield. It might be a good idea to gameplan to prevent this. Ok?

Secondly, when you blitz, you mus look for passes under ten yards.

Thirdly, Lucas will scramble, and part of their gameplan will be to get him out of the pocket.

Novacane
10-16-2002, 09:20 PM
Thanks BUff.. I make sure I mention that to Greg and Jerry in meatings tomorrow!

Buffarama
10-16-2002, 09:22 PM
Thanks! Mr my nick is so bright green I can't read it ;)

4thAndLong
10-16-2002, 09:22 PM
If you think about it...The bills D has about a 25.3 PPG avg.

I'll explain later.

Novacane
10-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Are you practicing "Fuzzy Math" 4th?

4thAndLong
10-16-2002, 09:30 PM
:lol:

No, just factoring in Special Teams and turnovers.

Sorry to take this from the BB board, but it is a very good post.

The Bills have scored 24 touchdowns and 10 field goals. Our opponents have scored 26 touchdowns and 8 field goals.

We have the Jets game. Our opponent there got two touchdowns from kickoff returns. Take those away from our defense. They've now scored 24 touchdowns and 8 field goals. Bledsoe threw an INT in the 2nd quarter which was returned to the Buffalo 19. A touchdown was scored on that drive. While the defense is ultimately responsible for those points, it's hard to say that the Jets wouldn't have gotten any points at ALL from that mistake. After all, if they didn't gain any yardage after the return, they would still have a relatively easy field goal. So I'll take away one of those. We now have 24 touchdowns and 7 field goals. Later, another special teams mistake (blocked punt) led to a field goal after the D held the Jets to 3-and-out. So we have 24 TDs and 6 FGs. Amazingly, the defense held the Jets from scoring in this game off of a Travis Henry fumble at midfield, holding the Jets to three-and-out.

Moving on. In the Vikings game, we gave up a 61-yard punt return to our two-yard line. It resulted in a touchdown. Now, while I was willing to give only part of the responsibility for the points off the Bledsoe INT in the Jets game to the offense, I'll give the special teams all of it here--if you give up a return to the 2-yard line, you can't really expect your defense to hold the team from scoring. It's possible, but I'd like to see some stats on how often teams have to kick a field goal from first-and-goal at the 2 before I give these points back to the defense. So now we're down to 23 TDs and 6 FGs.

Okay. Denver game. Take off a TD due to the TH fumble that was run back. Now the defense is responsible for 22 TDs and 6 FGs. Our defense was doing really well in the game to that point, having held Denver scoreless for almost the entire first quarter.

Now we reach the Bears game. Another TH fumble run back for a score, so we're down to 21 TDs and 6 FGs.

The Raiders game had us playing weak on both offense and defense. Bledsoe threw an INT that was returned to our 32. I'm not sure if I should take the 3 points of responsibility from the defense, seeing as it would have been a long field goal from that point, but Janikowski is relatively accurate, so I'll do it. If you don't agree, calculate the score otherwise, but as of now it's down to 21 TDs and 5 FGs. Later, Bledsoe threw a pick that was returned for a TD. 20 TDs and 5 FGs.

The last game, against Houston, Travis Henry's fumble was recovered at our 16. While the fumble resulted in a touchdown, I'm again only taking off 3 points, because it's conceivable that our defense could have held them to a field goal from there, so they should still be responsible for some of the points from that offensive mistake.

20 TDs and 4 FGs is our final total of all points that are directly the fault of the defense. Counting all TDs as 7 (even though there were missed extra points in the Vikings game), I get an average of 25.3 points per game given up by the defense. Not wonderful, but much better than 34!

So if our offense and special teams can play mistake-free football, given that our defense gives up 25.3 and our offense scores 32.3, we've got the edge. Make any mistakes, however, and it could get ugly.

venis2k1
10-16-2002, 09:34 PM
im not so worried about someone scrambling on the bills as i would have been last year, because fletcher is very fast, i am sure he is gonna be "baby sitting" lucas all day.

Buffarama
10-16-2002, 09:44 PM
I will agree that you can't hold turnovers run in for TD's against the Bills defense in the overall average for points given up, and special teams. I can think of 3 TD's offhand, or is it 4.
Not to mention several uncompromising positions the defense has been put in.
More than the points, its the frustration of not seeing any interceptions, loose coverage, the targeting of Watson who really doesn't deserve this, and underneath passes.

DIHARD2
10-16-2002, 09:54 PM
4th I was going to post the exact same thing but I figured you were called out, but I didn't know you had the same thing in mind. Great minds think alike. :lol:

:fishfry:

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...