• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

My take on the TH traded ordeal

Sorry about starting anew thread here but I have to get some thoughts on my views here.....................I am kind of on the fence about this one. Me living in S Florida and being a HUGE UM fan, I love Willis and have watched him grow a little down here. Henry, I love him too. He has a lot to learn though when it comes to being an all around back. Willis, already does a lot of the things that an all around back does. He is great at picking up the blitz, catches the ball very well out of the backfield, and the biggest of all, he doesn't fumble. I know Travis had a lot less fumbles and what not this year but you can't tell me that when he had the ball you weren't thinking to yourself, "PLEASE DON'T FUMBLE". Travis still has a lot to learn about the game as far as being a solid everydown RB. He can't block for crap and while I think he is decent at catching the ball, he is not great.

In my opinion, if Willis comes out in the preseason and looks absolutely great with no ill affects, I think the Bills front office has to take a chance on the fact that Henry is expendable. Many teams have done it, it is called taking chances. The Pats did it with Brady, Milloy, and now probably with Ty Law. Teams have to do it to try and make themselves better. We aren't getting any better having 2 potentially great RB's on our team.

So, if Willis comes out looking great, then the Bills have to entertain the option of looking to move Henry. If the Raiders would jump on it could you imagine having there pick along with our #13. We could easily get Fitzgerald and Rivers, and then we would be set for the future with Fitz, McGahee, and Rivers. Our new version of the big 3 and not even mentioning if Reed can turn it around. What do you guys think?

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

• TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Be careful with posts like this. You will get people here that love TH and will defend him until the death. IMO, you take the best man available. I had watched WM a bunch of times and the guy was a monster. From all that I have seen he is fully recovered and ready to go. I know people tell you that his knee was blown out, he only has one good knee. What they fail to know is that in high school Willis blew out his other knee and came back from that stronger than before.

Although I didn't see the great catching out of the backfield, WM has great power and speed. Many have compared him to Tomlinson, well I will be the first to say that he has the potential to be better than Tomlinson.

If there is a trade with the Raiders for that #2 pick the Bills should and would jump on that in a second. I love Henry, he plays with broken bones and is one tough SOB. Henry doesn't have the breakaway speed that WM has. I won't even bring up the fumbling.

You have to always look to make your team better and if trading TH is a way, then you take it. I don't think he will be traded this year, I think the Bills will use both and let WM work his way into playing before they make a decision. I don't think the preseason is enough of a test.
    Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 03-24-2004, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
      Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
      • Mar 2003

Do you acutally think Oakland will trade the 2nd pick in one of the best drafts in a long while for a top 7 back?
      "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
      -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
        1) I know Travis had a lot less fumbles and what not this year but you can't tell me that when he had the ball you weren't thinking to yourself, "PLEASE DON'T FUMBLE".........

2) So, if Willis comes out looking great, then the Bills have to entertain the option of looking to move Henry. If the Raiders would jump on it could you imagine having there pick along with our #13.

3) We could easily get Fitzgerald and Rivers, and then we would be set for the future with Fitz, McGahee, and Rivers. Our new version of the big 3 and not even mentioning if Reed can turn it around. What do you guys think?
        1) unfortunately.. after his 2nd year.. i will always think that.. shame..and really i get more nervous when i see him struggling for that extra yard.. but your dead on with this.

2) when you say WM comes out looking great.. do you mean in mini camps? because the draft will be long over by the time training camp and preseason starts.. so when are we supposed to see how he looks? can you actually consider trading henry before you see WM in at LEAST a preseason game? i dont know the answer to this.. i am looking for your opinion.

3)

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
        I know people tell you that his knee was blown out, he only has one good knee. What they fail to know is that in high school Willis blew out his other knee and came back from that stronger than before.

he has had 3 major knee injuries actually. once in high school.. and twice in college..

does that concern you? dont get me wrong.. i want him to be great.. but it worries me.. alot... once or twice is one thing.. but three injuries to the knee is a trend, imho.. if it was david boston.. we would be bring that up all the time, no?

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
        Do you acutally think Oakland will trade the 2nd pick in one of the best drafts in a long while for a top 7 back?
        i think it is absolutely crazy.. but i never thought that david boston would be traded one year after signing a huge deal and not only that... but traded for a 6th round pick and a bust cornerback that cant even play nickle. so to answer your question.. anything is possible..

we gave up a 1st and a 4th for rob johnson.. and a 1st for drew..

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ryjam282
          • Mar 2003

Tatonka, I meant after mini camps...Sorry. I know the draft is a lot sooner then the actual preseason games. Also, your reply to my #3 with the smiley drooling...Is that a good thing or bad? :)

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
            • May 2003

The durability is a concern. Was the 2001 college injury a knee? I thought it was something else on his leg. I don't recall any other injuries he had.

From what I remember, if there is a bright side to that sort of injury, he didn't tear the artery or have any nerve damage in the Will Allen hit. He did tear the three major ligaments. It was the left he banged up in 1999. I guess the only determining factor will be on the football field.

Still, the prospect of a "240 Lbs" back with 4.28 - 40 gets me excited.

Comment

• ryjam282
              • Mar 2003

Shadow, why would Oakland not do it? They obviously need a RB, there is no RB that they could take at that spot that could get the production that Henry could get. Why is that such a crazy idea?

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

Tatonka, I meant after mini camps...Sorry. I know the draft is a lot sooner then the actual preseason games. Also, your reply to my #3 with the smiley drooling...Is that a good thing or bad? :)
                its a good thing...

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                The durability is a concern. Was the 2001 college injury a knee? I thought it was something else on his leg. I don't recall any other injuries he had.

yeah.. 2001 was a knee injury as well.. it wasnt as bad obviously..but it was the same knee he injuried in the fiesta bowl.

Shadow, why would Oakland not do it? They obviously need a RB, there is no RB that they could take at that spot that could get the production that Henry could get. Why is that such a crazy idea?
                because the draft is so deep.. it is hard to gauge the value of a high pick due to that.
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ryjam282
                  • Mar 2003

T, I realize the draft is very deep, but no RB is even being talked about at the #2 overall pick. The Raiders could damn well use a solid RB and Henry would step right in there and do well. That is what I meant by that.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                    • Jul 2002

FWIW...............................Peter King was asked this question on his WGR 55 show yesterday. He said he does not think the Raiders would make that trade even for Travis Henry and the BIlls #13 pick. IF thats the case forget it. I don't want to give up Henry and more to move up 11 spots in the draft. There is no player I want that bad.
                    IF it was just giving up Henry I'd do it. Otherwise..................no!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

The talk of trading TH is absurd. McGahee is totally untested in anything even resembling a one game situation, let alone a 16 game NFL season.

Please stop this lunacy.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Please stop this lunacy.

I would not call it lunacy. No one is suggesting we give him away. No player is an untouchable. For the right price anyone is expendable.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
                          I would not call it lunacy. No one is suggesting we give him away. No player is an untouchable. For the right price anyone is expendable.
                          Yeah, let's turn a position of strength into one of vulnerability. Even if WM isn't the player he was before the knee, or goes down with a serious injury, we still have Joe Burns and Ken Simonton to key our power running game.

I cannot believe anyone is serious about trading TH at this point, given the uncertainty surrounding WM. The man has never even appeared in an NFL game.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. In this case, I simply consider those opinions in favor of trading TH to be LUNACY.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            • May 2003

Oh, if we were contemplating a TH trade, why did we let Sammy Morris go? So we would have an unproven WM, backed up by a mediocre Burns, backed by a warm body in Simonton?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Yeah, let's turn a position of strength into one of vulnerability. Even if WM isn't the player he was before the knee, or goes down with a serious injury, we still have Joe Burns and Ken Simonton to key our power running game.

I cannot believe anyone is serious about trading TH at this point, given the uncertainty surrounding WM. The man has never even appeared in an NFL game.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. In this case, I simply consider those opinions in favor of trading TH to be LUNACY.
                              What are you talking about? Hey man sometimes you need to take chances to get better. Burns and Simonton don't necessarily have to be our backups. We can always draft another back in the 2nd or 3rd round who could be solid as Henry(who was a late second rounder BTW). In doing that we can make a pick possibly for the QB of the future and a stud at WR/DE. I wouldn't do the trade though if it involved anything but Henry straight up.

Comment

Working...
                              X