PDA

View Full Version : A further look into Kordell Stewart

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 05:12 PM
i was doing some research on Kordell.. trying to get to the bottom of if he sucks or not, basically..

i noticed something that i didnt realize before..

he has only started all 16 games in a season 3 times in his career. i did not know that..

his best seasons where -
440/236 PASSING 53.6%
3020 YARDS PASSING/ 476 YARDS RUSHING
21 TDS PASSING/ 11 TDS RUSHING
17 INTS/ 4 LOST FUMBLES
75.2 QB RATING

442/266 PASSING 60.2%
3109 YARDS PASSING / 537 YARDS RUSHING
14 TDS PASSING / 5 TDS RUSHING
11 INTS/ 4 LOST FUMBLES
81.7 QB RATING

obviously those were both exceptional seasons.

now in 2002 he started 5 games
166/109 PASSING 65.7%
1155 YARDS PASSING / 191 YARDS RUSHING
6 TDS PASSING / 2 TDS RUSHING
6 INTS / 2 LOST FUMBLES
82.8 QB RATING

now someone please tell me what happened, because i am a little foggy on it. Kordell got hurt and missed the remainder of the season.. Maddox came in and was great.. and kept the job.. kordells salary cost him his job, along with his battles with cowher, right?

he was hidious in chicago last year.. which had less talent than we had in buffalo. now while he was horrible.. he was still better than drew was.. and i can only image what drew would have done there..

from all i can see.. kordell would be a great back up. now the thing that i can tell would drive me crazy is the turnovers.. he turns the ball over alot.. which is one of the main things that pisses me off about bledsoe.. but at this point i think he may very well be our best option as a back up qb.. and when bledsoe craps the bed.. at least we have a vet that is capable of coming in and playing in a system he knows. now whether or not he plays well is up in the air.. from all i can see though, he was at least effective and didnt hurt his team while mularkey was his OC and clements was his QB coach. so maybe he was headed in the right direction under them and can continue on that path..

another down side is he is strictly a backup qb with no future.. he is 32 i believe.. that means that it is imperative taht we grab a good rookie.

i know some of you are for this move and some of you are against it.. but unless you can tell me who would be available and better suited to come in right now and play.. i cant see another option.. and at least we are dealing with a guy who has been spotty but has performed at a probowl level at least 2 times in his career..

also.. looking at his numbers under MM and TC gives me a glimmer of hope for Dreadsoe.. but dont tell saviorbledsoe please.. :laughter:

Voltron
03-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Tonk, While I would tend to agree with you, Stewarts biggest weakness is he is not a pocket passer. He can pass out side the pocket and he can run but for some reason when in the pocket he gets happy feet and that is when he turns the ball over. He just would not be a good fit for an offense built around a Pocket passer like DB.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
well with teague.. we may not have a pocket to pass from.. there wasnt much of one last year. :D

Voltron
03-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Teague was to busy trying not to hike the ball over DBs head :lol:

In all Fairness he had 2 guards on either side that were not the best. Brown has lost quite a bit and we all know who was on the other side. One man in the middle cannot keep a pocket by himself. Lets see What McNally does with them. As he said he is not a Miracle worker but he has plenty of talent to work with.

DraftBoy
03-24-2004, 05:54 PM
I agree Stewart could be the ideal backup/spot starter for next season at a respectable salary.

Samphin1
03-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Ugh. Kordell was rumored to be looking at Miami last year. Thankfully we offered him a stern "NO THANK YOU!" and showed him the door. I hope for your team's sake that your front office does the same. This guy is just way to inconsistant to be anything but bad for you guys. I say you guys keep Bledsoe for now, draft a young qb with your pick and perhaps sign a veteran guy for the third string and have him help mentor your new guy.

Honestly, I would take Van Pelt over Stewart. I would "consider" Rob Johnson if it was between he and Stewart. That should show you how bad I think of Stewart. :lol:

DraftBoy
03-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Samphin1
Ugh. Kordell was rumored to be looking at Miami last year. Thankfully we offered him a stern "NO THANK YOU!" and showed him the door. I hope for your team's sake that your front office does the same. This guy is just way to inconsistant to be anything but bad for you guys. I say you guys keep Bledsoe for now, draft a young qb with your pick and perhaps sign a veteran guy for the third string and have him help mentor your new guy.

Honestly, I would take Van Pelt over Stewart. I would "consider" Rob Johnson if it was between he and Stewart. That should show you how bad I think of Stewart. :lol:

Yea since y'all dont have a problem with inconsistency or anything cough*Fiedler, Griese*cough. In fact the only thing you've done consistently in recent years is lose in december!

But seriously I dont want him as a starter but he has showed that he can handle himself in Mularkey's system. So why not bring him at the min and let him make Drew throw the ball within 10 seconds.

Fryin' The Fish
03-24-2004, 06:13 PM
what about Couch? He had a 77 passer rating, 1300 yards and 7 TDs last year. I know this isnt good by any means, but he will be 27 in June, which is a whole lot younger than Bledsoe and Stewart. :feedback:

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 06:14 PM
My position on him is the same: He is ALOT cheaper and could not be worse, and his stats pretty much back that up.

The main problem for me is that even if we get Slash, we would still be deep throating Drew's ridiculous salary.

So IMO...at this point with who is left in FA....the bottom line is that it doesn't matter who we get to back Drew up. The fact that we still have Drew already diminishes any progress, and whoever comes in will only be a stopgap for the QB we are going to draft.

As long as we draft a solid QB for the future... and I mean this....I don't mind if we only have a "decent" season. My hope/goal/wish is that we BUILD this season and get experience for WM, Reed, the new rookie QB and maybe a rookie WR. My sights are on 05, not 04. What WILL piss me off is if we don't make personel progress this year and are having the same discussions this time next year. :mad:

I hope that doesn't sound negative...its not. It's being positive about our future. :)

DraftBoy
03-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Yea but he knows were gonna take a QB in the draft unless we bring Couch in as the next Jake Delhomme, becoming a star at 27.

Dantheman1280
03-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Travis Brown has potential!!

Samphin1
03-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy

Yea since y'all dont have a problem with inconsistency or anything cough*Fiedler, Griese*cough. In fact the only thing you've done consistently in recent years is lose in december!

But seriously I dont want him as a starter but he has showed that he can handle himself in Mularkey's system. So why not bring him at the min and let him make Drew throw the ball within 10 seconds.

Funny, Fiedler seems to be consistant when he plays the Bills. Undefeated as a starter against you guys. :up: Anyhoo, I wasn't ripping the Bills. I was stating that I think you guys would be better off without him. A young qb, or even Couch I think would be better for you guys than Kordell.

By the way, a team that got swept by the fins and lost more games than they have won really shouldn't rip on a team about being inconsistant, especially at the qb position. I think it is safe to say that both franchises recognize the weakness there.

Or I could use the defense that you guy use about our coach. We replaced our terrible starting QB with someone else, you guys kept the same one. :lol: Sound vaguely similar?

P.S. I don't want to turn this into a smack thread. I enjoy posting here with you guys, so I will leave this at this and wish you guys a good day!

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Dantheman1280
Travis Brown has potential!!

:rofl::lol:

Dantheman1280
03-24-2004, 06:34 PM
whats so funny???

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 06:41 PM
whats so funny???

Travis Brown. The guy has shown absolutely nothing and he has been with the Bills for 4 years and couldn't take the backup job from Van Pelt.

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Travis Brown. The guy has shown absolutely nothing and he has been with the Bills for 4 years and couldn't take the backup job from Van Pelt.

Actually 2 years with the Bills...this will be his 3rd. ;) Not sure what happened to him in 2002 though...no data on him for that year.

2000 Seattle Seahawks
2001 Buffalo Bills
2002 ?????
2003 Buffalo Bills

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by kal123

Actually 2 years with the Bills...this will be his 3rd. ;) Not sure what happened to him in 2002 though...no data on him for that year.

2000 Seattle Seahawks
2001 Buffalo Bills
2002 ?????
2003 Buffalo Bills

Well whatever 4 years in the NFL and he hasn't done jack.

Lone Stranger
03-24-2004, 07:47 PM
I do believe that Couch would be a better prospect but he might cost too much; therfore , we are forced to look at other possibilities and, as much as we might not like him Kordell looks to be the best prospect.

caveboy
03-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Sorry, but the only other option is to NOT sign Kordell. This guy is too inconsistant. Haven't we gone down this road with Drew hoping he'd turn it around in a fresh start?

Look at this possible scenario: Drew gets the starting job, but starts tanking around game 3 or 4, resulting in calls for Stewart to be put in. Now we have happy-feet slash in there which would be the total opposite of stature-of-liberty Drew. Slash now becomes a running QB after gearing our O towards Drew?

Why not look for a younger mobile QB in the draft and build him from the ground up, instead of taking Slash and all his baggage if he will only be a back-up at best? No thanks. I can see it now: Slash taking off every two seconds because the O-line isn't blocking and Moulds/Reed/Shaw complaining they aren't getting the ball enough.

I would take The Pill first before Slash any day.

ShadowHawk7
03-24-2004, 08:01 PM
whats so funny???

:lolcry: I can't believe u were serious! I guess he does, and I guess he deserves one more preseason to prove himself once and 4 all. He did do pretty decent against NE, even tho that means jack..

IHateTheDullphins
03-24-2004, 08:15 PM
I am not opposed to Kordell coming here. Atleast it would be a change of pace if he gets any playing time.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Well whatever 4 years in the NFL and he hasn't done jack.

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
:lolcry: I can't believe u were serious! I guess he does, and I guess he deserves one more preseason to prove himself once and 4 all. He did do pretty decent against NE, even tho that means jack..

you guys are way to hard on this kid.. you got to be a little more openminded about him..

he has played in 2 games.. and not looked bad. i am not saying he is the answer.. but he doesnt deserve to be called dog **** for not getting a chance yet.

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 11:16 PM
I agree. I posted this in the "Who would you rather have?" thread earlier:

Originally posted by kal123
I agree I'd probably take Slash, but I'm not sure I agree when you say "better than TB has shown to date". In all honesty, he really hasn't had the chance to show much. When he was in the NE game he went 14/18, 170 yds, 77.8 comp %....and yeah, that ridiculous INT on the last play of the game...Killdrive's goodbye gift to Buffalo.

I know it was late in the game and they were playing prevent, but there's no doubt NE still wanted the shut out so it's not like they weren't trying.

For me the jury's still out on him. Unfortunately though he still won't get a chance to play since I'm 99% sure they are going to grab a vet, cut him and draft a rookie for 3rd spot.

If only they would axe Drew and make the vet #1, TB and the rookie could compete for #2 and #3. That would really be building for the future.