PDA

View Full Version : New League Policy Regarding Endzone Celebrations

Bill Brasky
03-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Now it's a 15 yard penalty. I read the article and it says nothing about handing out fines now...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1767517

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 06:57 PM
I like it it hurts your team not just taking chump change out the players pockets. Hopefully now the players think about or get their ass chewed out from the coach.:up:

Bill Brasky
03-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but penalizing AND levying a fine might me even more productive. I don't understand their reasoning for dropping the fines all together.

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
Yeah, but penalizing AND levying a fine might me even more productive. I don't understand their reasoning for dropping the fines all together.

If it was another cell phone type incident there will probably be a fine.

Bill Brasky
03-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I'd assume so.

What's everyone's fav. celebration? I'd vote the Icky Shuffle or the Lambeau Leap.

RedEyE
03-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Doesn't this rule flip flop season after season?

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Well, the guys who get those fines typically spend $15K in a night on dinner, booze, hookers, etc., so I think this is a good idea. Now they can't just sneeze and pay the fine...they have to face the entire team and the fans for their stupid bonehead move. :up:

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by kal123
Well, the guys who get those fines typically spend $15K in a night on dinner, booze, hookers, etc., so I think this is a good idea. Now they can't just sneeze and pay the fine...they have to face the entire team and the fans for their stupid bonehead move. :up:

Exactly!:cheers:

Bill Brasky
03-24-2004, 07:50 PM
That's a good point. But I'd say keep the fine as well. They make enough anyways, plus it'd be a double-wammy and incentive to knock the **** off.

saviorbledsoe
03-24-2004, 08:15 PM
They should let the players have fun.........its all about entertainment.........sometimes i think the nfl has a bug up their @$$.

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
They should let the players have fun.........its all about entertainment.........sometimes i think the nfl has a bug up their @$$.

Theres' a difference between a celebrating as a team and as a individual.

Marvelous
03-24-2004, 08:31 PM
It has gotten out of hand. The celebrations are very in your face to the opponent. That "fine me" sign by Chad Johnson should have resulted in a suspension.
I;m against the celebrations. Even when Peerless did it, it looked stupid. Rolling down a car window dance after scoring. What a ass.

Bill Brasky
03-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Football is fun enough in general so players shouldnt need specific celebrations to get amped for a game. Some celebrations are ok, but taking out a cell phone from a goal post is not a celebration, its moronic.

The_Philster
03-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
Football is fun enough in general so players shouldnt need specific celebrations to get amped for a game. Some celebrations are ok, but taking out a cell phone from a goal post is not a celebration, its moronic.

Exactly. Football is the ultimate team game (even though players are judged by some based on individual stats) and these celebrations are designed to make the players out to be bigger than the team and the game. :down:

As far as the fines, I think they should keep them in place in addition to the penalty on the team. They've always directed the money from those fines to charity anyway. :up:

helmetguy
03-24-2004, 09:43 PM
The absolute BEST endzone celebration I ever saw was when Thurman Thomas flipped the ball to the official, then "chucked" him on the shoulders, as if to say, "See ya soon!"

The_Philster
03-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
The absolute BEST endzone celebration I ever saw was when Thurman Thomas flipped the ball to the official, then "chucked" him on the shoulders, as if to say, "See ya soon!"

Yeah...like at the Rams-Bills game in early 92...4 TDs ;)

BAM
03-24-2004, 09:47 PM
i love it when they just flip the ball to the refs and celebrate WITH the team... Moulds does that...

then again he only scored once last year so I forget actually...

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 09:51 PM
My favorite has to be the Lambeau Leap. IMO, that gives SO much back to the fans and makes everyone really happy...a solid bonding experience. :up:

The Natrix
03-24-2004, 09:53 PM

I agree.

Stupid No Fun League. :mad:

The disrespect you get from your team mates is punishment enough when you go overboard with your celebration.

BAM
03-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by kal123
My favorite has to be the Lambeau Leap. IMO, that gives SO much back to the fans and makes everyone really happy...a solid bonding experience. :up:

I agree! that is so awesome, i would love to be a fan when one of those players hopped into the crowd...

We need to get our guys to start the "Buffalo Belly-Flop" or somethin'!!!