PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey introduces low-key style to Bills

The Spaz
03-24-2004, 08:46 PM
On Mike Mularkey's first day of practice as the Buffalo Bills' head coach, the new play caller decided to forget the formalities and titles.

"Someone said to me, `Hey, coach.' And I said to them, `What, player?," Mularkey said with a smile on Wednesday, following the first of a three-day minicamp. The conversation with the player concluded with Mularkey saying: "You can call me, `Mike.'"

As first impressions go, Mularkey's was decidedly low key, reflective of the former Pittsburgh Steeler who played with intensity but speaks in mild-mannered tones.

That doesn't mean `Mean Mike' won't ever make an appearance.

"I'm low key, but I think I know when to push the right buttons," Mularkey said. "I told them I'm more of a teacher, but there are things that will get me going, and they know what those are right now. ... When there needs to be something said, I'll say it."

That wasn't necessary on Wednesday.

While Mularkey and his new staff began introducing the Bills to their new playbook, it was also a time for everyone to get to know each other.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040324/APS/403241175&cachetime=5

mypoorfriendme
03-24-2004, 09:46 PM
i just have to hope it doesnt turn into a situation like it did with the chargers coach a few seasons back, where he was strictly a players coach and although all of the players loved him, they failed to actually play for him as there was a lack of discipline as well as a lack of victory

BAM
03-24-2004, 09:56 PM
alright! no bullhorns! :up:

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i just have to hope it doesnt turn into a situation like it did with the chargers coach a few seasons back, where he was strictly a players coach and although all of the players loved him, they failed to actually play for him as there was a lack of discipline as well as a lack of victory

You beat me to it...was just about to post the same thing. :)

It can work, but you need to be like Tice or Cowher to make it work.

Voltron
03-24-2004, 09:57 PM
With the position coaches we have I don't see a lack of discipline. Plus MM may like to be called Mike but as an X player the players themselves have a different kind of respect for him then they do with a coach that never played.

Tatonka
03-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by kal123
You beat me to it...was just about to post the same thing. :)

It can work, but you need to be like Tice or Cowher to make it work.

cowher is probably what you will see.

also.. this was a nice side note..

Notes:@ Newly signed cornerback Troy Vincent and DE Chris Kelsay were both excused for personal reasons from attending minicamp, Mularkey said. ... The Bills will complete the minicamp with two sessions on Thursday and one on Friday.

:rolleyes:

kelsay missing the first mini camp? he better have some serious **** going on.

Mr. Cynical
03-24-2004, 11:18 PM
:club:

mypoorfriendme
03-24-2004, 11:21 PM
any ideas why both were a no show? and i have a good feeling about mularkey as long as not all practices are "low-key." he seems like he is sticking with a good formula as i remember reading an article and him saying how hes picked up a coaching technique or approach from every coach and player hes been with and is trying to mold it into one person. however, easier said than done and this approach might fail miserably.

if we have a losing season this season, mike mularkey's method has failed be it the low key practices or "teach" method of coaching