PDA

View Full Version : Rivers not worthy of 1st rd pick

Bmax
03-24-2004, 11:52 PM
It seems for some reason (senior bowl ) that alot of bills fans have fallen in love with rivers.. Mark it down i'm not one of them ... Sure he had a great career and senior bowl game.. but his mechanics are awful... In today's game you need a better athlethe at the qb position than rivers .. His recent 5.2 -40 was the final clincher for me that we should at all costs avoid him in rd one and two... I feel some team will still be awe struck and spend a top 15 pick on him .. i just don't see the bills doing it...(thank goodness)....

Jp losman (i agree with Ing) would be a far better selection in rd 2 .. 4.66-40.....losman is the kind of guy who can make plays in and out of the pocket....I think fans miss kelly so much that any guy who comes along that has a shot of being like him we crave after... If for some strange reason rothesberger drops to 13 . we should snap him up ...unlike rivers he has all the tools to be a great player in years to come...

IN THE END I THINK IT WONT REALLY MATTER BECAUSE WE WILL EITHER TRADE DOWN OR RIVERS WILL BE GONE BY PICK 13..

BMAX

juice
03-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Take Big Ben if he's there at 13.. If not fill other needs and see if Rivers or Losman are around in the second.

LIQUID24
03-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Everyone at the Fins board is in love with him too. I'm sick of hearing about Rivers, but I do think he'll be a solid pro.

mypoorfriendme
03-25-2004, 12:13 AM
i cant believe you can even try to argue he doesnt merit a first or even second round pick....so what...he throws side-armed?? he still has a quick release, good arm strength, and great accuracy. hes got good pocket awareness and is atleast quick enough to avoid a tackler in the pocket. an amazing four year stint at NC State. and 4 mvp's in his four post-season games. what more could he possibly do to prove himself? he wins, makes minimal mistakes, and steps up when the pressure is on.

i can understand not wanting him with our 13 pick, but come on, our second rounder?? please

kardshark19
03-25-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Bmax
rothesbergewr

Man, talk about a butchering! :rofl: :snicker: :jk:

Bmax
03-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Some guys you love some you don't.... Rivers just happens to be one of them....Many on ths board don't like will smith i love him i have seen him play may times and he is the real deal. I just like losman better than rivers...If it was up to me i'd take him in rd 2 or rivers... any day of the week....

Bmax

Throne Logic
03-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Does anyone really believe Ben will be available at pick #13? Come on now.

If TD wants a QB in round one, we'll see a trade. Either up into the top spots for the "elite QBs" or down into the 20s for Rivers.

Eli and Ben will be gone in the top 10, easily. Rivers isn't worth the #13 overall.

STAMPY
03-25-2004, 01:23 AM
I want Mike Williams or Reggie or Roy Williams or Winslow.... then in round 2 JP LOSMAN!!!

ryjam282
03-25-2004, 07:13 AM
BMAX, I have to strongly disagree with this. Cause he throws a little unorthodox, how does that translate into being a bad pro? If he threw the ball in that slot and had a lot of balls knocked down or deflected in college that would be one thing but he had 3 balls batted down last year in college, 3, that isn't that much. You already said it best I think fans miss kelly so much that any guy who comes along that has a shot of being like him we crave after" Why would we not crave after a guy who could be like Jimbo, the best QB in Bills history? He is definitely worth the #13 overall pick and if he is there, I am willing to bet my ZB's that TD will snatch him up.....And please stop with the Roethlisberger talks everyone, he isn't going to fall past #5-7 at the most. That is the true definition of a pipe dream, A CRACK PIPE :)

Tatonka
03-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Bmax
Some guys you love some you don't.... Rivers just happens to be one of them....Many on ths board don't like will smith i love him i have seen him play may times and he is the real deal. I just like losman better than rivers...If it was up to me i'd take him in rd 2 or rivers... any day of the week....

Bmax

i feel the same way about eli for some reason.. i am just not a fan.

Devin
03-25-2004, 07:41 AM
Bmax while your certainly entitled to your opinion some of your facts are plain wrong.

Firstly he ran a 4.94 40, secondly his release is unorthodox but what does that prove? Of 483 passes only 4 were batted at the line, he was the most accurate passer in college football last year, and 2nd in yardage all-time in NCAA history.

There is a reason everyone is so high on him. Losman isnt a bad QB, hes not the greatest leader and is widley reported to be a bit of a stats whore.

Sure lets pass up the most accurate qb in the draft, undoubtley football wise the smartest, because thankfully the quicker jp losman will be around in the 2nd (for a reason I might add).

Dozerdog
03-25-2004, 07:45 AM
I want to see who's available at 13 before I even entertain the thought of Rivers.

I also want to know where Couch lands, and potentially any other starters out there (Warner) before I commit to Rivers.

Udeze, Harris, one of the Williams- Andrews- all talents that I would grab first

Dantheman1280
03-25-2004, 08:15 AM
The draft is soo deep with QB's this year, getting Rivers with the 13th pick would be a waste!! We can get a quality player on day two. (BJ SYMMONS)

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Welcome aboard. My passenger list keeps growing.

:redcar:

TigerJ
03-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Ingtar gives a good assessment of Rivers on another thread, Comparing him, I think, to Danny Wuerfel coming out of college. Both had pretty gaudy college stats, Rivers a little better. Wuerfel has done nothing in the league. I do think that Rivers, being a little bigger has a bit of an advantage in that his height makes his sidearm delivery a bit less of an issue. Rivers also had something close to a record setting parformance in the Senior Bowl. That indicated to me that he compares well with other top notch players coming out of college. I think his mechanics are an issue to be concerned with. I think his chances of success in the NFL are very good, much better than Wuerfel's when he came out, but there are no guarantees. If Buffalo takes him in round one I won't complain, but if they pass, I'll understand too.

Devin
03-25-2004, 08:41 AM
I love the whole mechanics argument.

It holds absolutley no weight. What does anyone care about how his release is if it gets where its going?

Hes the most accurate passer in college football, has a quicker release then both Ben and Eli, and has been compared to Dan marino in the pocket.

What is bad about him again?

eyedog
03-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Dan Marino ? Lets not get carried away with comparisons.
" a first round brain and a fourth round arm." I seen that qoute about him on profootballtalk.com today and I agree with it. I don't want him with #13,maybe in the 2nd rd. He reminds me of Todd Collins. If they do take him I hope I'm wrong.

Devin
03-25-2004, 08:50 AM
pocket presence like Marino, not all around please read then quote.

I think 13 is a little high for him admittedly but he wont make it out of the top 15, in fact he maybe gone before he hits us. His stock has risen so much I have seen him gone as high as 9th.

Its rumored San diego wants to trade down and pick him up.

All im arguing is the notion that he is unworthy is comical especially given most dont know his stats.

Devin
03-25-2004, 08:51 AM
and I didnt make the Marino comparison, NFL scouts and GM's did.

eyedog
03-25-2004, 08:55 AM
He is smart and knows where he is going with the ball I'll give him that but I'm not crazy about his arm. I hope he is picked before he gets to the Bills.

Devin
03-25-2004, 08:59 AM
LOL.

Forgive me, but the most accurate passer in college, (60% his first 3 years, 72% his senior) what kind of arm should he have?

Is it the 2nd leading passer in NCAA history you dont like?

Or the faster release then both the "studs" ahead of him?

His stats are a mile long, bowl MVP's, pocket smarts 5th all time in TD's...etc

All im looking for is a cold hard valid reason why this kid is not a 1st round talent.

Tatonka
03-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by eyedog
He is smart and knows where he is going with the ball I'll give him that but I'm not crazy about his arm. I hope he is picked before he gets to the Bills.

what was it that you didnt like about the 65 yard bomb that didnt have alot of air under it that he hit devery henderson w/ in the senior bowl?

Devin
03-25-2004, 09:35 AM
This notion he cant get anything on the ball or has a weak arm is crazy. The only thing I will concede is it isnt as strong as Ben or Eli, but to think this in anyway hinders his ability is nuts.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2004, 09:48 AM
I think you are better off stating that a QB isn't worth the first round pick. Rivers is worth a late 1st round pick.

eyedog
03-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Weurful, Detmer, Klingler, Ware, on on on and on... don't get me started with the stat thing.
I don't want him in the first round. If he is there in the second ok, but i'd take Losman before him personally. I want the 13th pick to be a player who steps in and plays THIS year.

Devin
03-25-2004, 10:30 AM
The above mentioned guys had great stats but not Rivers stats.

And if you took Losman over Rivers id suggest counseling.

I want a contributing player as well, but if i had a chance at a QB who could be our franchise QB for the next 10-12 years id take it.

Fourtunatley for us TD is quite high on Rivers, so im hoping we snag him.

eyedog
03-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Thats the thing, I don't think Rivers is a franchise type qb. I think he can be a solid starter but not a star type qb. Time will tell I guess.