View Full Version : Kordell Visits!!!!

mightyspaz
03-25-2004, 12:34 AM
NFL Notebook: Stewart visits Buffalo
Former Steelers QB could be reunited with Mularkey
Thursday, March 25, 2004

By The Associated Press

Don Heupel, Associated Press
Buffalo Bills president and general manager Tom Donahoe speaks with free-agent quarterback Kordell Stewart during a minicamp at the Ralph Wilson Fieldhouse in Orchard Park, N.Y.
Click photo for larger image.

Kordell Stewart was cautious in discussing his interest in joining the Buffalo Bills. The free-agent quarterback's actions were far more obvious.

Stewart met yesterday with the Bills, in a visit that began with him standing on the sideline watching the team's first day of a three-day minicamp.

Before the session was over, Stewart, dressed in street clothes, was on the field joking with Buffalo's players.

Afterward, Stewart, a nine-year veteran, said he's taking his time before deciding what to do now that he has been released from Chicago after one disappointing season.

"I'm a patient guy, I like to let everything kind of fall into place," said Stewart, who also visited Denver earlier this month. "As excited as I am, I have to kind of step back, maybe two steps, to get a full glimpse of what's taking place."

Stewart, however, smiled when saying the Bills would be "a no-brainer" choice for him, considering the team's new coach, Mike Mularkey, and new offensive coordinator, Tom Clements. Both coached Stewart during his eight-year stint in Pittsburgh.

"It helps a lot," Stewart said. "You want to be in a situation where you can land on your feet."

The Bills, who are set at starter with Drew Bledsoe, are seeking an experienced backup after releasing Alex Van Pelt last week. Stewart's visit came a day after the team met with former Atlanta backup Doug Johnson.

Bills general manager Tom Donahoe said Stewart's experience and athletic ability -- he leads all active quarterbacks with 38 rushing touchdowns -- would make him a good fit as a backup. But Donahoe said he has no timetable for filling the team's need.

Donahoe, the Steelers' former director of football operations, drafted Stewart in 1995.

mightyspaz
03-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Audio up on BuffaloBills.com!
Under Free Agent News