PDA

View Full Version : This scares me...

ajsdx
03-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Comfort level played a big part in the David Boston trade to Miami. The Chargers signed Boston a year ago to a seven-year, $47 million contract and found out they didn't like him. Personalities clashed. Boston spent too much time in the weight room and didn't relate with his teammates. Management felt he was difficult to deal with, so, they gave him the ability to shop for a new team in a trade.

Only one call was made. Boston called the Dolphins because they hired his former receivers coach, Jerry Sullivan. In many circles, Sullivan is considered the league's best receivers coach. Last year, as offensive coordinator of the Cardinals, he helped to develop Anquan Boldin into a 101-catch receiver as a rookie. He helped to develop Herman Moore in Detroit. He has a long list of success stories, Boston being perhaps the best.

Together in 2001, Boston and Sullivan sent shivers down the spines of NFL defenses. By focusing Boston's concentrations on route running, Sullivan harnessed one of the most dangerous weapons on mass destruction to hit a secondary. Boston was 235 pounds of pure muscle at that time. He could run in the 4.35 40 range. Bigger than a running back, Boston was impossible to jam. Being more precise as a route runner, Boston broke more big plays because he caught that the ball in stride and, being sometimes 40 pounds bigger than the cornerback covering him, he was tough to tackle.

Boston went to the Pro Bowl with 98 catches and 1,598 yards.

"Jerry is not a classroom guy; he's a guy who works his best on the field working on the details of route running," Boston said. "I needed to get back with him, so as soon as the Chargers decided to let me go, I was only interested in getting down to Miami and working with him."

Boston's acquisition could end up being one of the steals of the offseason. The Dolphins only had to give up a conditional sixth-round choice in 2005 and cornerback Jamar Fletcher, who was probably going to be cut after the signing of Reggie Howard as an expensive third cornerback.

"The key is we trust each other," Sullivan said. "You need to establish trust in a relationship between a coach and a player. Once we got on the phone this offseason, I told him that he needed to weigh less for this thing to work in Miami. He was willing to listen. One thing about great players is they want to be thought of in the best light. I'm sure David felt the past couple of seasons, he might have put in a position where he felt he has lost his place among the league's best. We immediately set up some guidelines for this thing to work in Miami."

Boston already is off to a good start. He showed up weighing 236 Monday in Miami instead of the overly muscular 250 pounds of last year. Boston did everything asked of him during the first couple of days of the offseason program.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1767047

cordog
03-25-2004, 06:29 AM
Thats nice and everything, but Arizona still had problems with the guy when Sullivan was his coach. But coming in lighter, he may be able to possibly play a whole season. His ankles may be able to carry 230

Marino13Phins
03-25-2004, 07:50 AM
I liked that article, good to hear, he should have a much better season in miami if he is in a place where he is actually happy and wants to play.

Samphin1
03-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah this sounds good for the phins. Chambers an dBoston could develop into a nice little deadly combo. If Feeley can throw like reports are saying he can, then we should be ok on offense. I think our biggest concern has got to be O-line. Even if everything else clicks, the oline could screw up everything. Luckily we got Spielman on our side, he seems to know what we need and then execute. :up:

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Luckily we got Spielman on our side, he seems to know what we need and then execute.:up:

Are you sure about that?

Samphin1
03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Are you sure about that?

Yep. Grabbing David Boston for a sixth rounder and then paying him next to nothing assured me that this guy can get top notch talent while not breaking the bank. Remember, last draft it was widely reported that he wanted Anquan Boldin but Wanny outranked him and picked up Eddie Moore, linebacker. Needless to say, early returns show Spielman was right on that one.

Also, Spielman wanted Drew Brees while Wanny decided to pick up Jamar Fletcher while we had Madison and Surtain in front of him. Brees didn't really work out either, but at least he played a position of need for us as opposed to Fletcher who sucked, and never coul dhave cracked the starting lineup anyway.

If Spielman's judgement is as good as his limited track record shows, Feeley could be another huge steal as well. Although, even I admit dropping a second rounder for him was a little bit suspect. :whatthe:

justasportsfan
03-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Samphin1

Yep. Grabbing David Boston for a sixth rounder and then paying him next to nothing assured me that this guy can get top notch talent while not breaking the bank. Remember, last draft it was widely reported that he wanted Anquan Boldin but Wanny outranked him and picked up Eddie Moore, linebacker. Needless to say, early returns show Spielman was right on that one.

Also, Spielman wanted Drew Brees while Wanny decided to pick up Jamar Fletcher while we had Madison and Surtain in front of him. Brees didn't really work out either, but at least he played a position of need for us as opposed to Fletcher who sucked, and never coul dhave cracked the starting lineup anyway.

If Spielman's judgement is as good as his limited track record shows, Feeley could be another huge steal as well. Although, even I admit dropping a second rounder for him was a little bit suspect. :whatthe:

he definitely knows what you need. Execute is another question. Your OC is unknown and Wanny will be completely dependent on him since Wanny knows nothing about O.

StanMarino13
03-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Well if im not mistaken we grabbed that wr coach and another former oc to help out our new oc...Obviously who knows how thats goin to work out, but if we have no oline it wont matter whos makin offensive playcalls.

Samphin1
03-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

he definitely knows what you need. Execute is another question. Your OC is unknown and Wanny will be completely dependent on him since Wanny knows nothing about O.

Hey lets be fair now, Wanny doesn't know jack about defense either. :hamrhed: However, Collier seems to be an unknown entity but what has been reported is that he should continue with Norv Turner's offense of the past few years. Mark Trestman has been brought in as assistant head coach and qb's coach. He has done wonders with the likes of Gannon in Oakland. Combined with supposedly the best wr coach in the game and Speilman/wanny have done a good job of surrounding themselves with proven coaches, even if Wanny isn't one.

As a Bills fan you should know. You always keep the faith....until you know, you lose...

SoCalBillsFan
03-25-2004, 05:40 PM
I, for one, believe the dolphins will have a much better offense this year. I think getting boston was a great pickup for them. A sixth rounder? Definately worth it.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Who is going to get him the ball, even if he stays healthy and doesn't have some kind of steroid-induced mental meltdown?

Marino13Phins
03-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Feeley will get him the ball, there is no need to cut feeley down before you see him play again. Becuase the last time he played, 5-1 as a starter. Played excellent.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Feeley was excellent in his starting stint in Philly. I just have a gut feeling he won't be nearly as effective in Phinland.

ScottLawrence
03-25-2004, 06:05 PM
No doubt the Boston pick up was a good trade but, as a Bills fan im not worried about the Dolphins.

There offensive line is much worse then last years.

Goobylal
03-25-2004, 09:57 PM
The Dols' O-line will be an Achilles heel for them. As for Feely, Damon Huard had a great record as a starter with the Dols, but he's no better than a backup. Feely will have to prove himself on his own and without Andy Reid.

Now as for the talk about Sullivan being one of the best in the biz, where did that come from (link please)? Who has he developed: Boston? I looked at the Cards' history, and in 2000 (the year before Sullivan arrived there), Boston had 71 catches for 1156 yards (16.3 YPC) and 7 TD's. In 2001, he had 98 catches for 1598 (16.3 YPC) and 8 TD's. The basic difference was that he was the #1 WR in 2001 versus #2 in 2000, but the stats, at least average-wise and TD's, were pretty much the same. Then in 2002, again with Sullivan still coaching him, he ran into problems which continued into 2003. I just don't see how playing in Vice City, USA will help keep him on the straight-and-narrow when he has known drug problems, and how Sullivan will be able to smooth things over with the other coaches, teammates, etc. when Boston is STILL in the trainer's room getting IV's, and he'll need more than ever since he'll be practicing in the hot Florida sun. Unlike with Williams, he doesn't have a psychological disorder that's being treated. Instead he's juiced-up on HGH and his body seems to be breaking down on him.

Samphin1
03-26-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Goobylal
The Dols' O-line will be an Achilles heel for them. As for Feely, Damon Huard had a great record as a starter with the Dols, but he's no better than a backup. Feely will have to prove himself on his own and without Andy Reid.

Now as for the talk about Sullivan being one of the best in the biz, where did that come from (link please)? Who has he developed: Boston? I looked at the Cards' history, and in 2000 (the year before Sullivan arrived there), Boston had 71 catches for 1156 yards (16.3 YPC) and 7 TD's. In 2001, he had 98 catches for 1598 (16.3 YPC) and 8 TD's. The basic difference was that he was the #1 WR in 2001 versus #2 in 2000, but the stats, at least average-wise and TD's, were pretty much the same. Then in 2002, again with Sullivan still coaching him, he ran into problems which continued into 2003. I just don't see how playing in Vice City, USA will help keep him on the straight-and-narrow when he has known drug problems, and how Sullivan will be able to smooth things over with the other coaches, teammates, etc. when Boston is STILL in the trainer's room getting IV's, and he'll need more than ever since he'll be practicing in the hot Florida sun. Unlike with Williams, he doesn't have a psychological disorder that's being treated. Instead he's juiced-up on HGH and his body seems to be breaking down on him.

Why don't you ask the guy who started this thread for the link. He is the one who posted the article that stated i many circle,s Sullivan is considered the leagues best receivers coach.

Sullivna has had his hands involved in molding Boston, Anquan Boldin last year and Herman Moore. I am sure not every player he has worked with has panned out but his track record speaks for itself. Plus, if you rea the whole article poste dhere, it states that Boston has a comfort level with him and has already dropped considerable muscle mass and weight at the request of Sullivan. He listens to him and if he continues to, I see no reason why he can't put up great big numbers again.

Also, I don't get the argument about Feeley having to prove himself outside the presumably "safe" haven of Philly. Correct me if I am wrong, but wsn't Philly the place that had the worst receivers in the league over th epast ocuple of years? If he was doing well with thoe bottom feeders, surely he can "adjus" to working with studs such as Chambers, Boston and McMicheal no?

ajsdx
03-26-2004, 06:46 AM
The link is at the bottom of my (first) post, guys. Click on it.

Marino13Phins
03-26-2004, 06:52 AM

Boldin.

Goobylal
03-26-2004, 12:19 PM
WRT Boldin, Tyke Tolbert, who is the Bills' new WR coach and who was the WR coach with the Cards last year, was more directly involved with molding Boldin than was Sullivan, who was the OC and who had other responsibilities. As for Boston, as I mentioned, he had a breakout year as the #2 WR in 2000, the year before Sullivan arrived, and merely built-on it after becoming the #1 WR in 2001. I don't know about Moore of any of the other WR's Sullivan has developed so I can't comment, but I don't think you can point to Boston and Boldin as being mostly due to Sullivan.

Samphin1
03-26-2004, 09:14 PM
WRT Boldin, Tyke Tolbert, who is the Bills' new WR coach and who was the WR coach with the Cards last year, was more directly involved with molding Boldin than was Sullivan, who was the OC and who had other responsibilities. As for Boston, as I mentioned, he had a breakout year as the #2 WR in 2000, the year before Sullivan arrived, and merely built-on it after becoming the #1 WR in 2001. I don't know about Moore of any of the other WR's Sullivan has developed so I can't comment, but I don't think you can point to Boston and Boldin as being mostly due to Sullivan.

We didn't, the article did, we merely pulled form the source. :up:

TigerJ
03-26-2004, 10:19 PM
I am not going to try and argue what Sullivan and Boston will bring to the Dolphins and whether or not the Dolphins offensive line will enable them to be effective. I just want to say it will be interesting to see how having Tyke Tolbert will affect Buffalo's ability to attack Sullivan's scheme. I know Tolbert isn't a defensive coach, but I'm sure Jerry Gray will want to pick his brain when the Bills face the Dolphins. There won't be any reverse effect because Tolbert won't have that much input into designing Buffalo's offensive scheme and game planning.

Goobylal
03-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Sullivan is the Dols' WR's coach as well. I doubt he has much input into how the Dols' offense is run. That will be up to Collier and Trestman, who aren't too impressive IMHO.

Samphin1
03-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Sullivan is the Dols' WR's coach as well. I doubt he has much input into how the Dols' offense is run. That will be up to Collier and Trestman, who aren't too impressive IMHO.

Trestman was largely responsible for the Raiders offense that took them to the Super Bowl. I imagine that is pretty impressive is it not? :D

Collier is an unknown entity, that is for sure. He seems to be keeping the same system that Norv had so it won't really be much of a difference in my opnion, at least as far as schemes go.

If Trestman can do with Feeley, as he did with Gannon, we are going to be alright.

SABURZFAN
03-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Who is going to get him the ball, even if he stays healthy and doesn't have some kind of steroid-induced mental meltdown?

i hope i'm watching the game when he goes :coocoo:

Goobylal
03-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Samphin1

Trestman was largely responsible for the Raiders offenese that took them to the Super Bowl. I imagine that is pretty impressive is it not? :D

Collier is an unknown entity, that is for sure. He seems to be keeping the same system that Norv had so it won't really be much of a difference in my opnion, at least as far as schemes go.

If Trestman can do with Feeley, as he did with Gannon, we are going to be alright.
Come on, the offense was Gruden's. And even if it were Trestman's, what happened last year?

Samphin1
03-27-2004, 09:22 PM

Come on, the offense was Gruden's. And even if it were Trestman's, what happened last year?

Well, for one Rick Mirer was the starting qb for most of the season. Rich Gannon and Marcus Tuiassasopo were both injured for the season. A head coach who was not respected and came within minutes of his team walking out on him. I agree that Gruden shaped a lot of the offense but Trestman made Gannon the M.V.P. of the league and Gannon had his most success under him. Gannon was a journeyman beforehand.

Goobylal
03-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Rich Gannon's rebirth started as soon as he went to the Raiders in 1999, 2 years before Trestman came onto the scene there. The additions of Rice and Porter's emergence had more to do with that 2002 season than anything else. I remember wanting Trestman back in 1998, but he chose the Cards, where he didn't have a whole lot of success. I don't know, Collier and Trestman, who are both probably best as positional coaches, should be a concern to you.

Samphin1
03-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Rich Gannon's rebirth started as soon as he went to the Raiders in 1999, 2 years before Trestman came onto the scene there. The additions of Rice and Porter's emergence had more to do with that 2002 season than anything else. I remember wanting Trestman back in 1998, but he chose the Cards, where he didn't have a whole lot of success. I don't know, Collier and Trestman, who are both probably best as positional coaches, should be a concern to you.

Sure it concerns us. Anytime you have new coaches in new places it should concern you. Mike Mularky should concern you guys. I believe this is his first coaching gig, don't know if he should be a coordinator over a head coach do ya? That is why people get promoted and moved up, because you have to give them a shot. Collier is an unknown, but he may be able to tweak the offense a little and get some things that barely misfired, to hit. Or he may stink. But that is why you play the game. Trestman and Sullivan are standout positional coaches, and both are still that. Sullivan the WR coach, Tresman the QB coach. N one knows for sure how it will turn out. I guess we will have to agree to disagree until further notice.

Anyway, gooby, it has been nice talking with you. I am glad some Bills fans can talk football with phin fans without resorting to name calling and childish remarks. Have a good one.

And by the way, Gannon had his MVP season under Trestman, that was his best season by far.