PDA

View Full Version : A thought that concerns me about drafting a top receiver...

Jeff1220
03-25-2004, 01:33 PM
I have no scientific basis for this concern, and I'm NOT saying the Bills shouldn't take a WR, but consider this.

Comparing this draft of receivers to the 1999 draft of quarterbacks.

This draft is being touted as one of the best years ever to get a top WR. The draft has both depth and top-notch talent at the position.
The way the hype is surrounding these WRs remindes me of the way the hype was surrounding the top QBs in 1999. Let's take a look at how that draft turned out:

Pick #1 - (Cleveland Browns) Tim Couch QB Kentucky
Pick #2 - (Philadelphia Eagles) Donovan McNabb QB Syracuse
Pick #3 - (Cincinnati Bengals) Akili Smith QB Oregon
Pick #11 - (Minnesota Vikings) Daunte Culpepper QB Central Florida
Pick #12 - (Chicago Bears) Cade McNown QB UCLA

Out of the 5 first rounders chosen, only two remain starters and are considered top QBs. Two others are living in obscurity and never did anything of value in the NFL, while one appears to be headed toward the back of the depth charts.

The reason this is disconcerning is because this was a draft that was supposed to be both deep and talented at the QB position. I remember, at the time, it was being compared to the draft class of 1983!

So, how much of this is hype and how much is substance? Will this year's WRs live up to their billings? Or will they follow suite on the QB's of '99?

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2004, 01:39 PM
I guess I shouldn't buy those oranges because the apples I bought last week weren't very good.

Devin
03-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Nah to be honest he has a point. But that is the case anytime a draft is loaded like this, of the 8-9 or so recievers going in the 1st and 2nd round likely only 3-4 will ever be top notch type recievers.

I understand what hes saying you couple that with the development time of recievers and you could be looking at more then just a few surprises busts.

Jeff1220
03-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I guess I shouldn't buy those oranges because the apples I bought last week weren't very good.

...and I'm NOT saying the Bills shouldn't take a WR, but consider this...

Did I say "don't do it"? ...Just voicing a concern - if they're going to pick a WR, don't pick one just because one of these guys is there. Do it because it's the right guy for the team!

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220

Did I say "don't do it"? ...Just voicing a concern - if they're going to pick a WR, don't pick one just because one of these guys is there. Do it because it's the right guy for the team!

That's when you trust your GM's and scouts to evaluate the players and I have have a lot of faith in ours.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Well if you put it that way, I don't think TD and co. will take a guy unless they feel he is the player for their team.

Devin
03-25-2004, 01:52 PM
i am not sure hes arguing that, there have been a lot of cases where gm's and scouts thought they took the right guy for the job.

Probably just a thought provoking thread.

Tatonka
03-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
That's when you trust your GM's and scouts to evaluate the players and I have have a lot of faith in ours.

there you go.

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

there you go.

:cheers:

justasportsfan
03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Same thing can be said about this years qb's. They could turn out to be those qb's of 1999 or class of 83.

I'd take my chances w/ wr's instead of qb's.

Michael82
03-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Same thing can be said about this years qb's. They could turn out to be those qb's of 1999 or class of 83.

I'd take my chances w/ wr's instead of qb's.

I agree completely! :bf1:

Jeff1220
03-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Devin
i am not sure hes arguing that, there have been a lot of cases where gm's and scouts thought they took the right guy for the job.

Probably just a thought provoking thread.

Bingo Devin. I'm not arguing for or against WRs here, nor am I arguing for or against the QBs. Just making a point about how all the hype makes all the fans think that these guys are "can't miss" prospects.