PDA

View Full Version : Flip the coin

Pride
03-25-2004, 03:41 PM
What if McGahee isnt fully recovered? What if he knee isn't "better"?

What if we wasted a number 1 draft pick on a dud?

It is possible... the fact is, he was told he would never play again... and if he cant, well, we wasted a #1 draft pick on him... AND have to pay him!

The_Philster
03-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Pride

It is possible... the fact is, he was told he would never play again... and if he cant, well, we wasted a #1 draft pick on him... AND have to pay him!

exactly...which is why it's :coocoo: to even suggest we trade away our offensive MVP

Devin
03-25-2004, 03:47 PM
FINALLY. jesus this gamebreaker nonsense was beggining to annoy me.

WM MAY be a stud someday...today aint that day just yet.

TH has walked the walk and proved what he can do.

kill this trade BS.

Billzz
03-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Everyone knew it was a 50/50 shot to begin with. Don't follow the suprise in your post about wasting a pick, not like there was anyone available at that time who would of made a difference on a 6 and 10 team anyway.

Devin
03-25-2004, 03:51 PM
to be honest anyone who could have played would have been a step up.

Billzz
03-25-2004, 03:53 PM
You missed the point:)

Devin
03-25-2004, 03:54 PM
I understand what your saying.

All I think Pride was saying was that talk of trading our proven player over a potential bust is kinda dumb.

Devin
03-25-2004, 03:55 PM
matter fact the only player on offence last year worth a damn.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2004, 04:02 PM
The Bills aren't going to trade Henry anyway. It was probably some Bills fan that came up with the #2 pick in the draft for TH. They have a solid running back to start and a potential stud as a backup. Both have good cap numbers and the team will have to see how the season plays out. After this season if both players show they are as good as advertised the team will look to move them next year.

Michael82
03-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
exactly...which is why it's :coocoo: to even suggest we trade away our offensive MVP

That's also why some people say it is :coocoo: to draft a Quarterback in the 1st round that won't see the field this year and has the "potential" to be a great QB, but will cost a ton of money and will not have ANY immediate impact. a QB in the first round is a gamble, just like McGahee is. Why do it?

EDS
03-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82

That's also why some people say it is :coocoo: to draft a Quarterback in the 1st round that won't see the field this year and has the "potential" to be a great QB, but will cost a ton of money and will not have ANY immediate impact. a QB in the first round is a gamble, just like McGahee is. Why do it?

Because sometimes you just have to take a risk in order to obtain something of value. Personally, I don't know who we should draft, but I am willing to gamble on greatness every once and a while - not everytime mind you - but sometimes it makes sense.

Devin
03-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Mikey your also forgetting none of the QB's this year had an exploded leg.

Im not debating Willis worth, im debating the silliness in even discussing a trade for unproven talent.

Dantheman1280
03-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Even if willis is a stud we need both backs to be a power house

The_Philster
03-25-2004, 05:17 PM

Refresh my memory...what happened the last time we selected a QB in the first round? :scratch:

Jan Reimers
03-25-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm glad to see that many of us think that trading TH at this point would be pure, unadulterated LUNACY.

Devin
03-25-2004, 05:55 PM

Refresh my memory...what happened the last time we selected a QB in the first round? :scratch:

lol! point made.

DraftBoy
03-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Ill tell you all right now Id trade Henry for the right price even if we didnt have McGahee. He may be our team MVP, but hell he could of rushed for 800 yards and gotten it with as bad as this offensive preformed, some people talk about him like he went above and beyond last year he shined on an extremely crappy offense thanks in no part to Killdrive and Blewsoe.

Devin
03-25-2004, 06:10 PM
no they say that because hes done it twice in a row and if he does a third (and yes that still wont make you trade happy lunatics happy) its kind of hard to deny TH is the real deal. I personally hope he does so we can dole out some I told you so's.

WM may be a stud...may not be, but in an offence going to a run game id rather have a known back.

BuffaloRanger
03-25-2004, 06:41 PM

He went to the USFL for two years! That's where he was developed. Jimbo was the only QB the Bills have selected in the first round that has done anything.

1st rd QBs and Buffalo do not mix. The fans would eat him alive.

Pride
03-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Lets get back to my original question... ignore TH for a bit... ignore trade rumors....

take the draft pick of McGahee on its own merrits...

We picked a guy who shattered his leg for the most part.... a running back no less.... what if... he cannot come back?

Does he get cut? discuss that..... NOT TH

Dozerdog
03-25-2004, 06:47 PM

People-

It was a horroble year for the draft! Who was left on the board that we should have grabbed that was all that and a bag of chips? If we picked Kelsay #1 (like a lot of people predicted we would) and McGahee #2, whould you guys be *****ing about it?

And his contract is not guaranteed. He's got an incentive laden deal. No play- no pay.

We got a gift pick from Atlanta. There wasn't a lot of good players out there. We have a great shot at getting the next Jamal Lewis without the drug convictions. I'd do it all over again if given the chance.

Mr. Cynical
03-25-2004, 07:04 PM
/rant on

I'm so tired of people talking about "you're crazy to trade TH...he is so great...WM is unproven..blah, blah, blah. I highly doubt those people would be saying that if it meant we could get Manning. To say TH is worth more than him is ridiculous. :shakeno:

/rant off

On to the topic at hand...

I WANT A FRANCHISE RB AGAIN.

If McGahee flames out, I'm okay with it. You have to take risks in this league to win. Was I surprised at the pick? Yes, although when we picked it wasn't like there were any "superstars" left. Was I concerned about the injury? Yes.

Was I excited about it after it settled in to my head? BIG yes.

Tell me you didn't get goose bumpy watching what he did before the injury and then thinking about him in a Bills uniform, shredding it up and making defenders look stupid. We haven't had that kind of back since TT before his decline really started hit in the mid-late 90's. For those of you counting, that's about a good 6-7 years ago. Since then we've had Burns, Bryson, Morris, Smith, Simonton, etc....I think we know the rest of that story. Yes, Henry is a very good back and I think he is capable of contributing alot to the team....BUT....

WE NEED ANOTHER FRANCHISE RB. TH IS NOT IT.

So, in conclusion, if he pans out as expected, the risk paid off and we now have a special young RB for some time to come. If he doesn't make it back, then I'm fine with Henry until another opportunity presents itself.

The_Philster
03-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by kal123
I highly doubt those people would be saying that if it meant we could get Manning.

Eli Manning is unproven as well so guess again ;)

Mr. Cynical
03-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Eli Manning is unproven as well so guess again ;)

I know you don't really mean this. You can't mean it. Not unless you recently had a frontal lobotomy. ;)

Elway. Unproven.
Kelly. Unproven.
Marino. Unproven.
Montana. Unproven.
Favre. Unproven.

You get the idea.

Yeah, you can bring up Leaf, Shuler, etc., but the NFL is about taking risks. If you want a sport that plays it safe, maybe curling (sweeping on the ice, watching a stupid weight slide around) is for you.

:baby:

The_Philster
03-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Giving up your Offensive MVP for a shot at a QB that MIGHT pan out is vastly different than spending a draft pick that you got the normal way on a prospective player :shakeno:
and something that could be construed as a personal attack isn't helping your point :down:

Devin
03-25-2004, 08:02 PM
lol kal cmon man...

back your arguments up. Yes for every HOF QB you can name 10-20 busts probably even more.

Eli manning maybe a superb QB, but to be honest one of these manning kids is bound to fail lol. Ok ok ok thats bad, all I mean to say is there is a line between risky and plain dumb.

saviorbledsoe
03-25-2004, 08:13 PM
He looked hella fast on the video of the mini camp I saw on bb.com

John Doe
03-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Even if willis is a stud we need both backs to be a power house

Exactly. All other points and arguments are moot, IMO.

juice
03-25-2004, 08:22 PM
A healthy Willis is a pwr house by himself.

Mr. Cynical
03-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Giving up your Offensive MVP for a shot at a QB that MIGHT pan out is vastly different than spending a draft pick that you got the normal way on a prospective player :shakeno:
and something that could be construed as a personal attack isn't helping your point :down:

What personal attack? I used a ;) to set the tone of the post. It was only a joke. :idunno:

As for the "Offensive MVP" title...well, being MVP on our offense last year is a bit like being a 5'4" center on a midget basketball team. Yeah, he's the MVP of the team, but it doesn't mean he's great either. Why would TD take the risk on an injured WM if that was the case?

I still can't believe you wounldn't trade him for a Manning but hey that's your call. :up:

Originally posted by Devin
lol kal cmon man...

back your arguments up. Yes for every HOF QB you can name 10-20 busts probably even more.

Eli manning maybe a superb QB, but to be honest one of these manning kids is bound to fail lol. Ok ok ok thats bad, all I mean to say is there is a line between risky and plain dumb.

You c'mon. ;) I *did* point out Leaf, Shuler, etc. I never said it wasn't a risk. But IMO it is a risk you have to take sometimes to improve your offense when it stinks so badly. Why do you think TD took the risk and drafted WM? Because he was 100% sure that TH was the answer?

I would trade TH in a heartbeat for a Manning. But this whole conversation is moot, since he is nowhere near worth that high a pick and there isn't anyone dumb enough to offer it.

saviorbledsoe
03-25-2004, 09:01 PM
I think it all adds up to keeping them both this year and seeing what plays out.......you cant trade henry before you know if WIllis is the real deal and even then i dont know how i could be for trading the guts of this team.

The_Philster
03-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Travis has shown more heart and toughness than most any player we've had since the Super Bowl years.
But IMO it is a risk you have to take sometimes to improve your offense when it stinks so badly.

How does the offense stink when they haven't played a down? :scratch: We got rid of the biggest problem in that 2003 offense already.

DraftBoy
03-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Lets get back to my original question... ignore TH for a bit... ignore trade rumors....

We picked a guy who shattered his leg for the most part.... a running back no less.... what if... he cannot come back?

I agree with Dozer on this call there was nobody else worth taking here, and with McGahee's potential he was a steal where we got him if he pans out...Should he not get back to form he is a bust but since the pick would of done no better where it was though I dont mind.

Michael82
03-26-2004, 07:47 AM

What happened the last time the Bills drafted an injured RB? That's right, Thurman Thomas! I'm not worried, I think McGahee is going to have a good career here and will break out by the end of the season.

Michael82
03-26-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
People-

It was a horroble year for the draft! Who was left on the board that we should have grabbed that was all that and a bag of chips? If we picked Kelsay #1 (like a lot of people predicted we would) and McGahee #2, whould you guys be *****ing about it?

And his contract is not guaranteed. He's got an incentive laden deal. No play- no pay.

We got a gift pick from Atlanta. There wasn't a lot of good players out there. We have a great shot at getting the next Jamal Lewis without the drug convictions. I'd do it all over again if given the chance.

I totally agree! If TD didn't make the trade, we would have gotten no first rounder and NO McGahee. McGahee was the BEST player left on the chart and if he wasn't...it would've been Kelsay. I totally agree with you that if the first 2 rounds were flipped, people would have been hailing TD all year long!

Novacane
03-26-2004, 08:07 AM

I would trade TH in a heartbeat for a Manning. .

I'm willing to bet TD would too.

But this whole conversation is moot, since he is nowhere near worth that high a pick and there isn't anyone dumb enough to offer it

Thats exactly it. No team is going to give us a top 5 pick in the draft for him. that ought to tell these people that are so against trading Henry that he is not considered a gamebreaker by other NFL teams.

Michael82
03-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Thats exactly it. No team is going to give us a top 5 pick in the draft for him. that ought to tell these people that are so against trading Henry that he is not considered a gamebreaker by other NFL teams.

I totally agree. No one is going to give us a top 5 pick, and that should prove that Henry is not a "gamebreaker" that many teams covet.

Mr. Cynical
03-26-2004, 09:17 AM

But this whole conversation is moot, since he is nowhere near worth that high a pick and there isn't anyone dumb enough to offer it

Originally posted by Fairway to the Green

That's exactly it. No team is going to give us a top 5 pick in the draft for him. that ought to tell these people that are so against trading Henry that he is not considered a gamebreaker by other NFL teams.

I totally agree. No one is going to give us a top 5 pick, and that should prove that Henry is not a "gamebreaker" that many teams covet.

Well at least the 3 of us understand the reality of TH's value. :up:

Mr. Cynical
03-26-2004, 09:28 AM
How does the offense stink when they haven't played a down? :scratch: We got rid of the biggest problem in that 2003 offense already.

Conversely, how does the offense *not* stink when they haven't played a down? All we know for sure is how they played last year and they were awful. Teams don't turn it around without some major changes. What major changes have been made on offense since last year? Added Villarial (and dropping a pro bowl guard in the process) and bagged KG. That's it. To me that's not enough to change from worst to good. Hopefully there is more to come...ALOT more. Are you listening TD? :shout:

And while I agree KG was the "biggest problem", it doesn't mean that everything is going to work out now. We still have alot of problems/questions remaining. Until I see more changes, my stance on the offense will stay the same....stinkeroo. ;)