PDA

View Full Version : My take on our crucial 1st rounder.

ShadowHawk7
03-25-2004, 05:56 PM
If we're gonna get a reciever (I don't want to in the first place) in the first round, I'd only take Mike or Roy. Both are doubtful to fall that far anyway. If not, I might take Rivers. I'm sorta torn on him, b/c of all his amazing stats and bios, but also we need a imediate impact player, and Rivers cud just be a high paid bust like ne other 1st round QB. I'm completely fine w/ our surrent DEs, and I don't think TD would address replaceing Kelsay, until round 3 at BEST. We have good, young talent there. We don;t have yound talent at DT. I think we need another DT. W/ Sam aging, and Pat maybe gone next year, we need a dominant DT that could even start instead of Sam. We could get Wilfork or that Tommy guy, and I'd be fine w/ it. Actually, I'd trade down, grab Carrey, then trade up in te 2nd w/ our two 2nd rounders (one for trade down in the 1st.) and grab Evans. But if we do get Bobbie Williams, I'd go w/ the previous choices. How is that for a draft?

By the way, what is your guy's opinion on Bobbie Williams? I think he'd be a great sign, wich wud patch up another hole on the line.

P.S. :brace: Sorry for making this a new post, but I wanted the whole board to see this one. :feedback:

Devin
03-25-2004, 06:29 PM
I like the trade down idea, a little hesitant to go with DT.

Id prob go QB. But that doesnt seem to popular.

ShadowHawk7
03-25-2004, 06:41 PM
I politely request your reasoning of your unelevated intrest in aquiring a player at the defensive tackle posistion. :nerd:

helmetguy
03-25-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm with Devin. We're eventually going to need a long term QB. Why wait to draft until we have no QB? If we ARE going to get a QB, why not get the one we think can help us the most, rather than the best of what's left? I'd rather draft the best QB we can (which WILL require a first round pick) and develop him than take a first rounder a couple of years from now and start him immediately, particularly if we have another season like the last one.

Dozerdog
03-25-2004, 06:53 PM
I want to see who the top 12 guys off the board are. Then I'll decide.

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I want to see who the top 12 guys off the board are. Then I'll decide.

Me too

Tatonka
03-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7

P.S. :brace: Sorry for making this a new post, but I wanted the whole board to see this one. :feedback:

i think your draft idea is almost dead on to what i am thinking.. it looks great to me.. the age at DT is a major concern.. sam and pat could BOTH be gone by as soon as next year.. we need to get some serious players behind them.. edwards may be one.. but to use a pick on one this year is a must, imho.. we need to take a DT on the first day.

good work, shadow.

Originally posted by helmetguy
I'm with Devin. We're eventually going to need a long term QB. Why wait to draft until we have no QB? If we ARE going to get a QB, why not get the one we think can help us the most, rather than the best of what's left? I'd rather draft the best QB we can (which WILL require a first round pick) and develop him than take a first rounder a couple of years from now and start him immediately, particularly if we have another season like the last one.

while i hear what your saying.. the number of success cases between first round qbs and second/third round qbs is not a big deal.

helmetguy
03-25-2004, 07:28 PM
True, Tonk. But judging from waht I've seen of Tom Donahoe, going back to his days in Pittsburgh, he tends to draft looking for projected future needs, rather than fill a big hole with a rookie. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What I'm getting at is, he's been addressing immediate needs through free agency, with an eye toward drafting and developing quality depth so that, by the time the veteran starter moves on, the transition at the position will be relatively seamless.

Dantheman1280
03-25-2004, 07:31 PM
what about Bannan ( pardon the spelling) He may have some potential

Tatonka
03-25-2004, 07:44 PM
True, Tonk. But judging from waht I've seen of Tom Donahoe, going back to his days in Pittsburgh, he tends to draft looking for projected future needs, rather than fill a big hole with a rookie. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What I'm getting at is, he's been addressing immediate needs through free agency, with an eye toward drafting and developing quality depth so that, by the time the veteran starter moves on, the transition at the position will be relatively seamless.

DT is a big future need too man!

Originally posted by Dantheman1280
what about Bannan ( pardon the spelling) He may have some potential

yoru right.. he may.. but he looks like, at best.. he can be a solid run stuffer.. we need a guy that can generate some pass rush like pat williams.

Bert102176
03-25-2004, 08:00 PM
I really want Rivers here but I have a feeling he may go before the Bills pick at #13

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I really want Rivers here but I have a feeling he may go before the Bills pick at #13
Yes, If Ben goes before 11. Then Pittsburgh will take Rivers.
If that happens- :wail:

helmetguy
03-25-2004, 08:16 PM
DT is but one aspect of a defense. QB has to operate an entire offense. I'd have to say that QB would be the most critical future need. As much feror as has surrounded Bledsoe's presence in Buffalo, not to mention the RJ/Flutie wars, wouldn't it be more practical to develop a guy in the offensive system, rather than throw an inexperienced rookie into the fray? Look how ill prepared we were for Kelly's retirement. Todd Collins and Billy Joe Bonehead!

The_Philster
03-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Look how ill prepared we were for Kelly's retirement. Todd Collins and Billy Joe Bonehead!

:cynic: You just HAD to remind us of THAT again, didn't you?

helmetguy
03-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
:cynic: You just HAD to remind us of THAT again, didn't you?

Absolutely. The way I see it, we'll be hearing all the *****ing about Bledsoe until he's gone, and debate what FA QB we should bring in if he falters again. Then we'll hear the *****ing about THAT guy. So, to hopefully assuage some of the *****ing, we draft our own guy-the best possible-and develop him. Raise him in our own image and likeness. At least we won't be hearing, "Well, I have this friend who is a _______fan, and HE said that they were happy to get rid of________, shoulda done it a long time ago."

"Tune in next week for another captivating hour of 'Thursday Night Wys,' when we'll rehash the same old **** again, and again, and again..."

Bert102176
03-25-2004, 08:45 PM
I think Ben will be there for our pick at 13 but I would rather have Rivers, I think Rivers will be drafted before Ben

ShadowHawk7
03-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i think your draft idea is almost dead on to what i am thinking.. it looks great to me.. the age at DT is a major concern.. sam and pat could BOTH be gone by as soon as next year.. we need to get some serious players behind them.. edwards may be one.. but to use a pick on one this year is a must, imho.. we need to take a DT on the first day.

good work, shadow.

;) :cheers:
Thankx T, it's nice to know I'm appreciated by one of the most influencial posters on this board, and it's about time i find sum1 who sees that our long-term DT solution is going to be s*** unless we act now. Wilfork will be great and can play DE to shut all u "draft a DE to replace a promising 2nd round pick from last year" people up. :shutit: :lol:

DT is but one aspect of a defense. QB has to operate an entire offense. I'd have to say that QB would be the most critical future need. As much feror as has surrounded Bledsoe's presence in Buffalo, not to mention the RJ/Flutie wars, wouldn't it be more practical to develop a guy in the offensive system, rather than throw an inexperienced rookie into the fray? Look how ill prepared we were for Kelly's retirement. Todd Collins and Billy Joe Bonehead!

Also a verrry good point helmet. I still believe in Bledsoe and I think he'll be in the top 10 in QBs this year. But I know we have to plan for the immediate future now. (2005, or 2006) Rivers or even Big Ben provide great solutions to this problem. That's why I'm so torn about who would be the best for us. Roy, Wilfork, Rivers, or maybe Big Ben. I think I'd rule out Roy, as it's not as much of a need to warrant a 1st rounder, and hope we can grab Evans w/ our 2nd rounder. (He would be a perfect fit, I might even be willing to trade up in the 2nd to get him):drool:

DT is definitley a huge need, and i've already stated why. Big Ben is drawing comparisons to Elway, but I'm still doubting he falls to us, after a great workout, i've benn hearing about. So i guess it basically boils down to Wilfork and Rivers.

As sum1 stated earlier, the sucess rate b/w 1st round QBs and 3rd/4th round QBs isn't too different, so who would be a viable alternative to Rivers in that range?
If there is a good alternative, I lean towards Wilfork as the Bills #1 Draft choice of 2004! :clap: :clap: :gobills: :clap: :clap:

Also, what better mentors for Wilfork than two great veterans as in Big Pat n' Sam?

ShadowHawk7
03-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I think Ben will be there for our pick at 13 but I would rather have Rivers, I think Rivers will be drafted before Ben

I don't get how it's possible 4 Big Ben to fall alllllll the way to us. After a great workout (or so i heard) and comparisons to Elway, and Bledsoe, it seems just as doubtful as it was before.
It doesn't hurt to dream tho...