PDA

View Full Version : Notes: Bledsoe is Clear Starter

saviorbledsoe
03-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Drew Bledsoe has taken some criticism after posting sub-par numbers during the 2003 season, but that hasn't stopped new coach Mike Mularkey from backing Bledsoe.

During the past few weeks the team has hosted three veteran free agent quarterbacks and Mularkey has told each of them that Bledsoe is the team's starting quarterback and that the Bills are seeking a veteran to fill the backup role.

"I think Mike (Mularkey) has made it clear that Drew is our starter and that we are committed to Drew," President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said. "Right now we are looking for a solid number two guy with a few years of experience."

more........
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=237462

:popcorn:

BAM
03-25-2004, 09:09 PM
:up:

:movie:

saviorbledsoe
03-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Couldnt resist :)

Billzz
03-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Decent article. Seems to cover everything up to this point until we draft a QB in the first round and Bledsoe falters a bit and then it's on!

I have faith in our coaching and Drew's abilities enough to believe he will start and finish this year somewhere in the second round of the playoffs.

Novacane
03-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe

"I think Mike (Mularkey) has made it clear that Drew is our starter and that we are committed to Drew," President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said.

:rolleyes:

Novacane
03-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Couldnt resist :)

and everyone accuses the bledsoe bashers of being the ones trying to stir things up :rolleyes:

baalworship
03-25-2004, 09:48 PM
The only reason why this was posted on buffalobills.com was because Bledsoe WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN the clear starter if Volek had signed with Buffalo. They are affirming that with only Kordell and D Johnson, Bledsoe is indeed, the clear starter.

For more info, see Drew Bledsoe Lame Duck 2004?! thread.

Novacane
03-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
The only reason why this was posted on buffalobills.com was because Bledsoe WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN the clear starter if Volek had signed with Buffalo.

TD is such a *******. He knows Drew read all that stuff about them telling Volek he would have a great chance of playing time here so now he is trying to back off since he did not sign Volek.

Morgoth
03-25-2004, 09:52 PM
So what. I fail to see how Mularkey letting us know that Drew is his number 1 will make him better. None of the people on this board that are skeptical of his abilities are comforted by this childish thread. However, you have now given Tatonka carte blanche to come over here and take a dump on your hero. Nice work.

Mr. Cynical
03-25-2004, 09:57 PM
"I think Mike (Mularkey) has made it clear that Drew is our starter and that we are committed to Drew," President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said. "Right now we are looking for a solid number two guy with a few years of experience."

Honestly, what else is TD going to say??? The truth? :shakeno:

"I think Mike (Mularkey) has made it clear that Drew is our starter and that we are committed to Drew publicly for the purposes of PR and other business reasons," President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said. "But behind closed doors we are doing everything we can to look for a solid replacement so that we can dump his huge salary and anemic performance, as well as determining which rookie QB will be the future."

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

TD is such a *******. He knows Drew read all that stuff about them telling Volek he would have a great chance of playing time here so now he is trying to back off since he did not sign Volek.

TD is a pussy interesting.

Novacane
03-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by kal123

Honestly, what else is TD going to say??? The truth? :shakeno:

"I think Mike (Mularkey) has made it clear that Drew is our starter and that we are committed to Drew publicly for the purposes of PR and other business reasons," President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said. "But behind closed doors we are doing everything we can to look for a solid replacement so that we can dump his huge salary and anemic performance, as well as determining which rookie QB will be the future."

:lol: I bet he is saying something pretty damn close to that behind closed doors. If he isn't he is not the football god a lot of people here think he is

Novacane
03-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

TD is a pussy interesting.

Yes.....he is. He does not have the balls to say " Hey Drew, your play the last year and a half merits that we are trying to bring someone in here to compete with you.

In effect that is what he was saying by pursing Volek and offering him a chance to compete. Now that he did not get him he releases this statement? Why? To kiss Drews ass. Thats why.

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 10:10 PM

Yes.....he is. He does not have the balls to say " Hey Drew, your play the last year and a half merits that we are trying to bring someone in here to compete with you.

In effect that is what he was saying by pursing Volek and offering him a chance to compete. Now that he did not get him he releases this statement? Why? To kiss Drews ass. Thats why.

He's still going to draft a QB. Besides TD drafted McGahee that took balls even though we had Travis Henry.

Novacane
03-25-2004, 10:16 PM

He's still going to draft a QB. Besides TD drafted McGahee that took balls even though we had Travis Henry.

Drafting a QB is not the point. The guy is not going to compete with Drew this year.

I did not say TD has no balls to make tough decisions. He just has no balls when it comes to standing up to Drew for some reason.

There have been many press reports that He was offering Volek a chance to compete with Drew. Now since he did not get Volek he releases this dumb statement that Drew is the starter. Of course he is now that Doug Johnson and Kordell Stewart are TDs only other option.

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 10:17 PM
To me I don't see TD as sucking up as much as it is being PC IMO. That's just how I see it.

Novacane
03-25-2004, 10:22 PM
To me I don't see TD as sucking up as much as it is being PC IMO. That's just how I see it.

Sucking up and being PC are the same thing IMO. Why release any statement at all? Everyone knows Drew is the starter.

IMO they came out with this press release because news that they had offered Volek the chance to compete for Drews job leaked out.

Mr. Cynical
03-25-2004, 10:24 PM
I did not say TD has no balls to make tough decisions. He just has no balls when it comes to standing up to Drew for some reason.

I think the reason is fairly simple....TD's ego. He took a big gamble with taking on Drew and his salary and IMO his ego won't let him admit is was a bust.

P.S. I have NO problem with him taking that risk with Drew....I actually supported it...but I do have a problem with him sticking with it given it's obvious failure. Making matters worse is his nuclear screw up with GW. He can't admit to 2 in the same year. ;)

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 10:28 PM

Sucking up and being PC are the same thing IMO. Why release any statement at all? Everyone knows Drew is the starter.

IMO they came out with this press release because news that they had offered Volek the chance to compete for Drews job leaked out.

It didn't leak out you don't think TD thought his statements we're going to be published?

Novacane
03-25-2004, 10:29 PM

I think the reason is fairly simple....TD's ego. He took a big gamble with taking on Drew and his salary and IMO his ego won't let him admit is was a bust.

P.S. I have NO problem with him taking that risk with Drew....I actually supported it...but I do have a problem with him sticking with it given it's obvious failure. Making matters worse is his nuclear screw up with GW. He can't admit to 2 in the same year. ;)

That is exactly how I feel. I had no problem with him taking a shot on Bledsoe. His weakness seems to be waiting to long to correct his mistakes. Whether it is because of ego or something else I don't know. I just know he should have canned Greg last year and Drew this year. He seems to wait 1 year to long to right his wrongs

Novacane
03-25-2004, 10:33 PM

It didn't leak out you don't think TD thought his statements we're going to be published?

Then why even release this statement. Does he think Drew is an idiot or just us fans? Drew can read the papers. He knows they offered Volek the chance to compete for his job. This statement is not going to erase from his mind that TDs talk of faith in him is just that...............talk!

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 10:34 PM

Then why even release this statement. Does he think Drew is an idiot or just us fans? Drew can read the papers. He knows they offered Volek the chance to compete for his job. This statement is not going to erase from his mind that TDs talk of faith in him is just that...............talk!

TD even had a press conference about bringing Volek in that was on the Bills official site. I don't think he was tryign to hide anything.

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Free agent quarterback Billy Volek was in town Monday to meet with the Bills front office personnel and coaching staff.

Volek, who originally signed with Tennessee as an undrafted free agent in 2000, had a passer rating of 101.4 in seven appearances for the Titans last season.

The Bills have made it clear that they are seeking an eventual successor for Drew Bledsoe this offseason, but exactly how this successor will be acquired isn't clear.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=235604

Novacane
03-25-2004, 10:43 PM

TD even had a press conference about bringing Volek in that was on the Bills official site. I don't think he was tryign to hide anything.

Of course. They have a press conference for every FA that comes throug here.

The point I am trying to get across to you is TD did not advertise that he was offering Volek the chance to compete with Drew. Voleks agent leaked that out.

IMO TD did us more harm than good by pursuing Volek. He had been saying all along that Drew was his starter. Fine...............then why the hell does he try and get someone to compete with Drew. Now, without comming out and saying it he has told Bledsoe he really does not have total faith in him. Now, on top of having to rebound from a horrible year he has to deal with knowing that the organization has doubts about whether he can or not.

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 10:47 PM
I need to find the link but I read earlier that Volek's said this year is Drew's team but next year is up in the air. I will have to try and find it.

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 10:51 PM
I need to find the link but I read earlier that Volek's said this year is Drew's team but next year is up in the air. I will have to try and find it.

Here it is from the agent:

Though Bledsoe’s future is uncertain, Staninger said he was given a clear indication that the veteran will have the chance to salvage his career under Buffalo’s new offensive-minded coaching staff after one of his worst seasons.

”I don’t think the Bills have any immediate plans for a quarterback change, at least they told us, the job is Drew Bledsoe’s and that’s it,” Staninger said. “Now what happens next year is up for discussion. They talked to us about maybe next year Billy would start. They said, ‘Play another season, who knows what next year is going to bring?’ “

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0324FP3MJVE_sports.shtml

The Spaz
03-25-2004, 10:59 PM
http://www.mediatechpro.com/gif_samples/mm3/clockW.gif:cheers:

Throne Logic
03-25-2004, 11:02 PM

Of course. They have a press conference for every FA that comes throug here.

The point I am trying to get across to you is TD did not advertise that he was offering Volek the chance to compete with Drew. Voleks agent leaked that out.

IMO TD did us more harm than good by pursuing Volek. He had been saying all along that Drew was his starter. Fine...............then why the hell does he try and get someone to compete with Drew. Now, without comming out and saying it he has told Bledsoe he really does not have total faith in him. Now, on top of having to rebound from a horrible year he has to deal with knowing that the organization has doubts about whether he can or not.

I fail to see exactly what TD did wrong here. An agent said something and you believe it? Come on now. Agents bend the truth around all the time. TD never said this. Why do you believe the agent over TD?

Now, let's make something perfectly clear. TD is the president and GM of a multi-million dollar business. It is part of his job description to be PC maintain good PR. He's not going to give up hints as to what the company is planning to do. He's not going to intentionally piss off high ranking employees (Bledsoe) that he may have to rely on, depending on the results of this offseason.

What the heck do some of you expect him to do? Tell Drew he sucks? Folks, I hate to break it to you, but despite Drew's problems, he's currently the best hope for next season. Unless something miraculous happens, he's the man. No rookie is coming in to bring us to the post season. If Drew isn't in the plans, we're definitely rebuilding for at least a year. If Drew is the starter, TD can bring in a backup QB for Mularky keep in reserve in the event that he can't straighten out Drew's issues.

Either way, you can't expect TD to piss off someone he may have to rely upon.

The Natrix
03-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Fairway,

I don't think it is fair to call Volek an idiot. There is nothing wrong with choosing family over a sport.

As someone else eluded to though, it makes me care less about the Bills not getting him becasue his heart (football wise) might not be there.

One thing I do not question about Drew is his heart. I really hope he can put together a consistent season right until the end.

Mr. Cynical
03-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
No rookie is coming in to bring us to the post season.

Neither is Drew I'm afraid. :(

If Drew isn't in the plans, we're definitely rebuilding for at least a year.

Let's hope so! :up:

Dantheman1280
03-26-2004, 06:49 AM
I know drew sucked, but you have to give him one more chance under the new coaches. I dont like him either but he is what we have this year so we might as well back him!! Then if a miracle happens and he plays well we will be fine and the QB we draft will have a little more time to develope!! Lets all pray for that!!

Novacane
03-26-2004, 07:48 AM

I fail to see exactly what TD did wrong here. An agent said something and you believe it? Come on now. Agents bend the truth around all the time. TD never said this. Why do you believe the agent over TD?

TD never lies :rolleyes:

The Spaz
03-26-2004, 07:51 AM

I gave you the quote from volek's agent what more do you want?

Mr. Cynical
03-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Dantheman1280
I know drew sucked, but you have to give him one more chance under the new coaches.

Hasn't he had enough in 11 years?

:deadhorse

Throne Logic
03-26-2004, 10:30 AM

I didn't say he never lies. Nor did I imply that he is the model of perfect morality. He's a good business man.

Pride
03-26-2004, 10:41 AM
haha

http://www.buffalobills.com/photos/bledsoe325_subsq.jpg

Isnt that how RJ used to practice?? hat on backwards?

Throne Logic
03-26-2004, 10:52 AM

Neither is Drew I'm afraid. :(

Let's hope so! :up:

Kal, I'm talking a realistic approach to this. I was one of about 3 people (vs. thousands) who absolutely DID NOT want to bring Drew Bledsoe to Buffalo two years ago.

Drew has performed exactly how I expected he would and hoped he wouldn't. Nothing new or shocking here for me.

Last off-season, 95% of the Bills Fan world were so friggin' high on Drew. If you dredge up some of my posts, you'll find that I pretty much said that I was afraid that KG and Drew would self destruct, especially after KG named himself QB Coach. I was pretty much one of Wys's only supporters on this particular issue, albeit with much less intensity. Where I differed from Wys was in that I believed Drew could be productive if used properly - i.e. not the focus of the offense.

This year, about 80% of Bills Fan world is ready drum Drew out of town for peforming pretty much as I expected he would. Which, by the way, is about the same as he did for the 2nd half of the 2002 season. I'm holding the same opinion I did last year - Drew could be productive if used properly - i.e. not the focus of the offense.

My argument earlier was not pro-Bledsoe. It was pro-Mularky with a twist of "why not give it a shot." (I'm assuming that Drew restructures that rediculous contract.) I'll break it into senarios in a new thread.

justasportsfan
03-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Why saviorbledsoe posted that article is beyond me. It amkes Drew look bad. It simply reinforces peoples thought that Drew maybe washed up. In other words there are doubts.

I wonder if such questions were asked about Manning, McNabb, Brady, etc.

saviorbledsoe
03-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Morgoth
So what. I fail to see how Mularkey letting us know that Drew is his number 1 will make him better. None of the people on this board that are skeptical of his abilities are comforted by this childish thread. However, you have now given Tatonka carte blanche to come over here and take a dump on your hero. Nice work.

Drew is not my "hero" and he can take all the dumps he wants to....my point of this post, other than informing everyone of the article was more of a nah nah nah nah nah nah.......because i am immature :) and i was sick of only seeing negative Drew threads.

saviorbledsoe
03-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Pride
haha

http://www.buffalobills.com/photos/bledsoe325_subsq.jpg

Isnt that how RJ used to practice?? hat on backwards?

ever try throwing a football with your hat frontwards?..the brim can get in the way......same with basketball.

saviorbledsoe
03-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Why saviorbledsoe posted that article is beyond me. It amkes Drew look bad. It simply reinforces peoples thought that Drew maybe washed up. In other words there are doubts.

I wonder if such questions were asked about Manning, McNabb, Brady, etc.

It points out the obvious truth that he didnt play well at all last year but it also (IN BOLD HEADLINE) points out that he is the CLEAR STARTER which is what I am trying toget across you Drew bashers to accept and move on.

And no one ever doubted Mcnab? or Manning? Please.........up until this year Manning couldnt win the Big One...remember? Mcnab was questioned ealry and often this year (Limbaugh) and IMO Mcnab is a crap QB.......throws everything in the dirt and has gotten his Eagles to the Championship 3 years in a row in a CRAPPY NFC!

justasportsfan
03-26-2004, 12:09 PM

It points out the obvious truth that he didnt play well at all last year but it also (IN BOLD HEADLINE) points out that he is the CLEAR STARTER which is what I am trying toget across you Drew bashers to accept and move on.

Move on? I always thought Rob Johnson would never amount to anything but come gameday I always cheered and wished for him to succeed because he was the qb of my team.

I feel the same about Drew. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that Mularkey could help him out but I don't think he's a qb whose worth 6 million.

We have accepted the fact that Drew is the qb and hope he succeeds but it doesn't mean we can't criticize him.

Mr. Cynical
03-26-2004, 12:35 PM

I'm not going to move on until Drew is gone.

And no one ever doubted Mcnab? or Manning? Please.........up until this year Manning couldnt win the Big One...remember? Mcnab was questioned ealry and often this year (Limbaugh) and IMO Mcnab is a crap QB.......throws everything in the dirt and has gotten his Eagles to the Championship 3 years in a row in a CRAPPY NFC!

Ok, let's look at your examples. When were they drafted? '98 and '99. When was Drew drafted? '93. Drew has had FIVE to SIX years more experience...or chances to prove himself, if you will...than either of them. Therefore, he does not have anymore leeway or excuses. Manning and McNabb are entering into the MIDDLE of their careers...arguably the sweet spot...and therefore they still have some "Get out of s*** free" cards left. Drew has used all of his up.

And I'm not even going to comment on Limbaugh. Using him as a reference is ridiculous to the nth degree. :rolleyes: