X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Bledsoe ready to bounce back from last season's struggles

Wearing a baseball cap backward on his head and a smile on his face, Drew Bledsoe looks loose and untroubled running the Buffalo Bills through their workouts.

Forgotten are the memories of last year's struggles for Bledsoe, who's feeling rejuvenated with a fresh start, a less complex playbook and a new Mike Mularkey-led coaching staff at a three-day minicamp this week.

''I'll tell you what, it's exciting,'' Bledsoe said. ''The energy and experience that they bring has got me excited.''

Not even a question about bouncing back from last year could affect him.

''Is this a crossroads season for me?'' Bledsoe said. ''Listen, in this league, every season you play is a crossroads season. No matter who you are, what you've done, what you've accomplished, if you don't get it done, you can find yourself looking for work.''

The latest news, scores, stats, and analysis on the Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox, and Revolution. Plus, more Boston and New England sports updates.
  • kardshark19
    I will splash the pot whenever the hell I want!
    • Aug 2002

Thanks Spaz. Good article!
    If you don't like your job, you don't strike; you just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

"In the poker game of life, women are the rake. They are the f**kin' rake."

Comment

• kal123
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Re: Bledsoe ready to bounce back from last season's struggles

Originally posted by The Spaz
      "...if you don't get it done, you can find yourself looking for work.''
      Not if TD is the GM who brought you in.

Comment

• The Natrix
        • Jul 2002

"With each free agent visit, Mularkey makes it clear that he's looking to fill the No. 2 spot, not someone to contend for Bledsoe's job."

....that is, since Volek declined to come to Buffalo.

Byrd.

Comment

• The Natrix
          • Jul 2002

Re: Re: Bledsoe ready to bounce back from last season's struggles

Originally posted by kal123

Drew :peck: TD

Byrd.

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
            • Apr 2003

you guys will all see once drew comes back next season and kicks major ass. hell throw for over 3,000 yards and atleast 15 tds even WITH the run oriented offense.

well maybe not that much but he wont get blamed for a crappy team.
            Last edited by mypoorfriendme; 03-26-2004, 12:59 AM.
            the dude abides

Comment

• kardshark19
              I will splash the pot whenever the hell I want!
              • Aug 2002

I sure as he11 hope so! I am not a public Bledsoe basher, but don't think he is the right QB for this team.
              If you don't like your job, you don't strike; you just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

"In the poker game of life, women are the rake. They are the f**kin' rake."

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by kal123
                Originally posted by The Natrix
                "With each free agent visit, Mularkey makes it clear that he's looking to fill the No. 2 spot, not someone to contend for Bledsoe's job."

Here it is from the agent:

Though Bledsoe’s future is uncertain, Staninger said he was given a clear indication that the veteran will have the chance to salvage his career under Buffalo’s new offensive-minded coaching staff after one of his worst seasons.

”I don’t think the Bills have any immediate plans for a quarterback change, at least they told us, the job is Drew Bledsoe’s and that’s it,” Staninger said. “Now what happens next year is up for discussion. They talked to us about maybe next year Billy would start. They said, ‘Play another season, who knows what next year is going to bring?’ “

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...VE_sports.shtml

Comment

• Dantheman1280
                  I am the Man!
                  • Mar 2004

Give DB one more chance, if he fails under the new system, then give me a notice and tell me when we hang him

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
                    you guys will all see once drew comes back next season and kicks major ass. hell throw for over 3,000 yards and atleast 15 tds even WITH the run oriented offense.

well maybe not that much but he wont get blamed for a crappy team.
                    wouldnt it be nice to have a qb that could consistently break 25 tds.. look how many times a guy like brett farve has done it... hell he has had over 30 tds like 5 seasons... and he has had some good running games.. he always has a 1000 yard rusher. it is not like you have to sacrifice the run game to have your qb do well.. the qb just has to be capable..
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TedMock
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Natrix

I think Volek's full of crap. I was kind of hoping we'd bring him in but after seeing his reasoning for not leaving TN I'm glad we didn't. Plus I think with just about every guy we bring in they're telling them..."well, Drew's our starter right now but you'll always have an opportunity to compete." blah, blah, blah. Standard bull....

Comment

• kal123
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
                        Here it is from the agent:

Though Bledsoe’s future is uncertain, Staninger said he was given a clear indication that the veteran will have the chance to salvage his career under Buffalo’s new offensive-minded coaching staff after one of his worst seasons.

”I don’t think the Bills have any immediate plans for a quarterback change, at least they told us, the job is Drew Bledsoe’s and that’s it,” Staninger said. “Now what happens next year is up for discussion. They talked to us about maybe next year Billy would start. They said, ‘Play another season, who knows what next year is going to bring?’ “

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...VE_sports.shtml
                        Ok, follow me on this one.....

As a GM, which strategy do you think will cost you more money?

A. Tell Volek's agent he is going to compete for the starting job.

B. Tell Volek's agent he is going to be #2.

Not very hard to figure this one out IMO. Negotiating Option B is going to be alot cheaper since #2's don't get paid as much as starters. The GM/HC can always change their minds after the contract is signed and start him if they deem Drew "not up to speed as they had anticipated (cough, cough)".

Sure, there would be a provision for this scenario in the contract if Volek's agent is any good. But I still think negotiating a competing #1 contract is going to be more $$$ upfront than a backended #2 contract.

Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 03-26-2004, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Spin Spin Spin...

Comment

• helmetguy
                            Touch the helmet for luck
                            • Sep 2002

That's pretty obvious, kal. Bledsoe's $6 million is about the going rate for a starter. If a guy wins the job in camp, he's a bargain for at least one year. If the guy comes off the bench and lights it up and the team heads for the playoffs, you can bet he'll expect some compensation-starter's salary.
                            Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                            And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka

wouldnt it be nice to have a qb that could consistently break 25 tds.. look how many times a guy like brett farve has done it... hell he has had over 30 tds like 5 seasons... and he has had some good running games.. he always has a 1000 yard rusher. it is not like you have to sacrifice the run game to have your qb do well.. the qb just has to be capable..
                              and wouldnt it be nice if I had 10 million dollars?????????

where is this tree where QBs who throw for 30tds consistantly grow off of exist?????????

Comment

Working...
                              X