PDA

View Full Version : Willis,Travis and the GM!!

generalmills
03-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Last year on draft day TD made a decision to take the "best player available"...in his mind that just so happend to be WM who had all the potential in the world until his knee was blown into a million pieces.
After the draft TD's decision was met with a mix reaction but the national media was very critical of the decision due to the fact that the bills were in great need in other positions to make a push for the playoffs and to continue their rebuilding process. The only defense to that argument is based upon the "potential" of WM, as there is no factual evidence that WM can play up to his old form, and there is NO test that can promise WM's knee will hold up to the "next big hit".
Now a year after the decision, TD must figure out how this whole mess is going to pan out with WM and TH. If Willis and Henry are to stay in Buffalo, it is very possible that it could work out, or most likely TH will be upset that his carries are cut back..and eventually the locker room could be split over the carry ratio between the two backs.
When TD made the move to pick Willis, it was seen as a "gutsy" decision by a very confident GM. However, IS TD's career on the line with the way this pick turns out?? If the answer in his mind is yes, then he might aswell put all his eggs into one basket and ride the Willis train where ever it takes him 1,the superbowl or 2, the unemployment line.
To trade Willis would be TD backing out of his pick, and we all know that that is not his nature. If the opportunity to trade TH for a move up the draft board to pick one of the sought after QB's, I believe that TD already made that decision a year ago at the draft.
From a personal note, I was a fan of the move when it went down last year. I was excited to see the Bills making a pick that could turn out to be one of the greats. However, TH HAS proven to be a star in Buffalo. He is a 14-1500 yard back and has the dedication that a workhorse back needs to be successful.
I would love to see the two of them work together in the back field: especially the idea of constant fresh legs pounding away on opposing D-lines and linebackers. But would it really work...or would the ego's of the two players get in the way??
Do you believe TD has already made a decision to trade Henry on draft day?....
and do you think that TD's reputation, credibility, and career is on the line with the success of WM??

BigZ
03-26-2004, 10:05 AM
IMHO - I think that TD will keep them both. 2004 will be the year to decide if the gamble worked. If it did and WM is healthy and a reasonable likeness of the player he was in college, TD will need to decide which one to trade in 2005.

I think that TD has hung his hat on the pick and feels he needs to show it was a good one. However, I can't imagine that TD is foolish enough to go with JUST Willis in 2004.

The offensive staff needs to find a way to address the potential ego problem. If we pound the ball more won't there be a lot more carries to go around? Is it not possible that they both could get close to 20 a game?

That's what I'd like to see.

McBFLO
03-26-2004, 10:12 AM
I would LOVE to see both of them get close to 20 carries a game. Think about it. If that happens, and our D holds up and is about as good as it was last year, we could be in for an exciting, fun season!

Ickybaluky
03-26-2004, 12:50 PM
I would LOVE to see both of them get close to 20 carries a game.

20 carries each a game works out to be 640 carries a season. Last year, Baltimore led the NFL with 552 carries as a team. The only other team with more than 500 was Denver, with 543.

In 2002, Miami led the NFL with 530 carries as a team.

With Mularkey, Buffalo may have more of a commitment to the run. His first year as OC in Pittsburgh they led the NFL in carries with 580. However, that number decreased each season, down to 512 in 2002 and 446 in 2003.

ShadowHawk7
03-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Good point NE39, it's unrealistic to think we'll run the ball 640 times this season. I think it would be more plausible saying 20 carries for henry, 10 for Willis. With henry's 4.4 average last year, that would be 1408 yards for him. With Willie Mag's 640 yards, that puts us over 2000. (10 carries per game times 16, times a basic, predicted average of 4 yards per carry.) :nerd:
Now there is sumthing fairly realistic.

juice
03-26-2004, 01:31 PM
How about 30 carries for Willis.. and 5 carries for a rookie draft pick?

IHateTheDullphins
03-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by juice
How about 30 carries for Willis.. and 5 carries for a rookie draft pick?

:huh:

The Spaz
03-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins

Don't bother trying to figure it out.

Devin
03-26-2004, 02:46 PM
lol wtf

juice
03-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins

Trade Henry and draft a RB before we have a RB Controversy
Originally posted by The Spaz
Don't bother trying to figure it out.

Try to figure out what happened to Syracuse against that 8 seed.:snicker:

The Spaz
03-26-2004, 03:43 PM

Trade Henry and draft a RB before we have a RB Controversy

Try to figure out what happened to Syracuse against that 8 seed.:snicker:

Let's stick to the topic shall we!:up:

juice
03-26-2004, 05:49 PM
OK I bet Willis and Travis are ACC Fans and I hope we trade Travis.

The_Philster
03-26-2004, 06:18 PM
OK I bet Willis and Travis are ACC Fans and I hope we trade Travis.

How much you willing to gamble? :snicker: Neither played for an ACC team so why would they root for them?

BTW, Travis stays. :nana:

Turf
03-26-2004, 06:39 PM
When I saw the name of the topic, I thought it was a new sitcom.

John Doe
03-26-2004, 06:56 PM
WM who had all the potential in the world until his knee was blown into a million pieces.

A million +/- ... but who's counting.